We still got a shot at Wild Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We still got a shot at Wild Card

As it stands today we still have a shot at the last Wild Card spot. Our remaining schedule is a bit kinder than Seattle, Tampa, Minn, Wash, Dallas, and NO. Of course we would have to win out the rest of the year. After looking at the others remaining schedule, it could easily be argued that Seattle, Tampa, Minn, Wash, Dallas, and NO, could easily loose 3 to 4 games each, which would put us right in the stack!!!!!!! If we can win out then we COULD POSSIBLY hold the tie breaker on Minn and Tampa. We already hold te tie breaker on Wash. But we gotta win out and gotta have a lot of help. Keep the faith and hope!!!!!!

National Football Conference
    CONF RK NFC W L T PCT DIV CONF SOS SOV REASON
    1 Atlanta 10 1 0 .909 2-1-0 6-1-0 .387 .380 NFC South Champ
    2 San Fran 8 2 1 .773 2-0-1 6-2-1 .492 .477 NFC West Champ
    3 Chicago 8 3 0 .727 2-1-0 5-2-0 .500 .397 NFC North Champ
    4 NY Giants 7 4 0 .636 2-2-0 6-2-0 .475 .480 NFC East Champ
    5 Green Bay 7 4 0 .636 2-0-0 5-3-0 .545 .487

6 Seattle 6 5 0 .545 0-3-0 4-4-0 .483 .492 Wins tie break over Tampa

7 Tampa Bay 6 5 0 .545 2-2-0 3-5-0 .420 .281 Wins tie break over Minn
    8 Minnesota 6 5 0 .545 2-1-0 4-4-0 .483 .402
    9 Washington 5 6 0 .455 2-1-0 5-4-0 .508 .463 Wins tie break over NO
    10 Dallas 5 6 0 .455 2-2-0 4-5-0 .555 .396 Wins tie break over NO
    11 New Orlean 5 6 0 .455 2-1-0 3-4-0 .483 .481
    12 St. Louis 4 6 1 .409 3-0-1 4-3-1 .525 .432
    Last edited by LARAM; -11-25-2012, 09:04 PM.

Re: We still got a shot at Wild Card

and some of the posters said there was no chance...

Comment

Man that loss against the Jets and tie to the ***** was absolutely killer!

Comment

I'm not even thinking about wildcard. It would take a tremendous finish by us- 3 road wins, with wins over SF and Seattle- plus a ton of help from others to pull this off. It's not at all likely, and I'm not at all hopeful. Let's not let a win over a team which has lost 7 in a row cloud our judgment.

I want good performances from our principal guys, plus improvement from our draft picks for the remaining 5 games. Hopefully, that will translate into a few more wins; anything more would be a bonus.

Comment

that damn tie is going to haunt us all year. If we don't get that stupid delay of game we are 5-6 and only one game back.

Comment

"So your telling me there's a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by sjacksonrules View Post
              "So your telling me there's a chance"
              –Dumb and Dumber
              LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

"Bah Humbug" I say to all you unhopefuls. Look at the remaining schedules of the other NFC teams listed. They all face the likes of Chicago, Green Bay, San Fran, New England, NY Giants. It's grim right now, but give it a few more weeks. Our remaining schedule isn't as difficult as others in the running. Seattle is gonna crash and burn with their two top corners getting suspended. Washingtion still has to play some pretty tough teams (Giants&Cowboys). Minn. still has to play (Chicago and Green Bay). NO and Tampa still has to play ATL. Even if we loose to San ******, we can still pull this off.

I'm keeping the faith cause thats what you do when your a true Rams fan. I like our chances!!!!!!

Comment

Of course there's a chance, not likely because it's not soley on us but the way other teams perform, but hey anything can happen, I just enjoy watching competitive games that we could have actually one, and being mad because we lost a close game not because we're a sorry team. If we get in then it's a new season, here's for having something to hope for, and be optimistic.

Comment

9-6-1 is still a better record than 9-7 and won't need to resort to a tie breaker
                    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

The fact that we're having this conversation shows that we are a much improved team. While the chances are relatively low, I think the team must feel inspired and we'll be treated to a few wins before the season ends. Most notably it would be great to demonstrate how far we've come by beating the ****** on Sunday. I hope Jeff Fisher posts the fact that we're 7 point underdogs at home to a team we faced to a standstill on their turf 3 weeks ago. BTW, I cannot believe we lost to the Jets after their sorry showing on Thursday. Ahh, what might have been.

Go Rams!

Comment

PLAYOFFS!! PLAYOFFS? Don't talk to me about playoffs!

Comment

The most important thing is a WIN (not a tie or loss) at home to the 9ers...For us these last 5 games comes down to u guessed it SAM BRADFORD if he can guide the offense into getting TDs and not settling for FGs we have a great chance

Lets take it 1 week (1 game) at a time:

NO and SEA both face division leaders away from there home
                          GB and MIN are facing each other so one of them is going to lose (please no tie)
                          Skins face Giants who looked really good last night
                          Detroit faces a strong motivated resilient INDY team in Detriot

I think GB and DET are the only ones that come out victorious

WE NEED TO SHOW UP STRONG VS. SF

Comment

Heres a breakdown of remaining games for teams contending for the last Wild Card spot, presuming Green Bay takes the 1st WC spot.

SEATTLE: Chicago, Arizona, Buffalo, S** F***, STL (I could see 4 losses here, CB'S are gonna get suspended).

TAMPA BAY: Denver, Philly, New Orleans, STL, ATL (I could see 4 losses as well, but I can also see 4 wins. A must win for us)

MINNESOTA: Green Bay, Chicago, STL, Houston, Green Bay (This is gonna be a tough stretch for a Minn. I think they loose all five. A must win for us)

Washington: NY Giants, Baltimore, Cleveland, Philly, Dallas ( I'm hoping for at least 3 losses. They need to be beat Dallas for our benefit. We hold the tie breaker on Washington.

DALLAS: Philly, Cincy, Pitt, NO, Washington (Sure would be nice if Philly, Cincy , and Pitt could win)

New Orleans: ATL, NY Giants, Tampa, Dallas, Carolina (If they loose the next 3 games, then Rams need to beat Tampa.

Of couse this can play out 100 different ways. But anything is possible

Comment

Originally posted by LARAM View Post
                              Heres a breakdown of remaining games for teams contending for the last Wild Card spot, presuming Green Bay takes the 1st WC spot.

SEATTLE: Chicago, Arizona, Buffalo, S** F***, STL (I could see 4 losses here, CB'S are gonna get suspended).

TAMPA BAY: Denver, Philly, New Orleans, STL, ATL (I could see 4 losses as well, but I can also see 4 wins. A must win for us)

MINNESOTA: Green Bay, Chicago, STL, Houston, Green Bay (This is gonna be a tough stretch for a Minn. I think they loose all five. A must win for us)

Washington: NY Giants, Baltimore, Cleveland, Philly, Dallas ( I'm hoping for at least 3 losses. They need to be beat Dallas for our benefit. We hold the tie breaker on Washington.

DALLAS: Philly, Cincy, Pitt, NO, Washington (Sure would be nice if Philly, Cincy , and Pitt could win)

New Orleans: ATL, NY Giants, Tampa, Dallas, Carolina (If they loose the next 3 games, then Rams need to beat Tampa.

Of couse this can play out 100 different ways. But anything is possible
                              I like the positive attitude and all the homework you did with the schedule. It is certainly mathematically possible for the Rams to make the playoffs. The fact that we can even ponder this situation is a vast improvement over previous seasons, with the exception of the 7-9 season and the season finale loss to the Seahawks.

But this team isn't going on to the playoffs this year. You have the perfect storm scenarios listed above. It's just too much to ask for all that to go right, and for the Rams to suddenly become world beaters. If the Rams can find a way to beat the Whiners next week (I for one do not see that happening) then maybe I'll start to begin to believe, but until then. No way. I see the Rams losing to the Whiners and Seahawks at a minimum, with a very tough game against the Bucs and possible cold weather game at Buffalo as possible losses. I think a 5-win, 6-win max season is still at hand. Too many ifs right now. Had the Rams taken care of business against the Lions, Dolphins and Jets as they should have, and won the game against the Whiners that they had in the palm of their hands (or should I say the foot of GZ?) this conversation would have a lot more meat to it and not so many ifs. But it is what it is....

Next year, this team should not need the "if" factor. They will be contenders.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
                                Mapping the Road to a 10 Win Season
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Having finished the first quarter of the season with a 3-1 record, the Rams are well on their way to accomplishing the feat I predicted they would achieve at the start of the season: a 10-6 record.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, here's how they can get there:

Category 1: Must-win Games

If the Rams are going to be a 10 win team with serious playoff aspirations, there are four games on their schedule that they simply must win. They are:

@ Green Bay
                                San Francisco
                                Arizona
                                @ Oakland

If the Rams can take care of business in these games, that would be four additional wins, bringing the total to seven.

Category 2: Toss-up Games

The remaining home games on the Rams schedule are against the following teams:

Seattle
                                Kansas City
                                Chicago
                                Washington

These are all fairly tough games, but the Rams should be able to win at least two of the four on their home field. Assuming two wins, the Rams win total would be nine.

Category 3: Longshot Games

The remaining road schedule is as follows:

@ San Diego
                                @ Seattle
                                @ Carolina
                                @ Minnesota

The Rams need to steal one of these four games. The Minnesota game, which is the final game of the season, may be the best bet. If they can pull one of these off, the win total would be ten.

At ten wins, I think the Rams would make the playoffs. The teams in the NFC East will beat each other up, so there might not be a Wild Card team coming out of that division. The South has Atlanta, Carolina and New Orleans all contending for playoff spots, though I suspect that the Saints may fall out of contention as the season wears on. The North has the Bears and, perhaps, the Vikings in contention for the playoffs.

Then there's the West. I'll go on record right now and say that a 10-6 might actually be enough to win the division in a tiebreaker scenario. Seattle is vulnerable, and if the Rams can win at least one of the two match-ups, it could go down to the wire.

If not, the Rams could definitely be a 10-6 Wild Card team.

Should be a fun ride.
                                -10-05-2006, 09:53 AM
                              • StRams
                                The Way I see it...
                                by StRams
                                we can only afford to lose two more games.

Even at 10-6 its going to be tough to sneak into the playoffs the way the NFC east is playing. Its also interesting that that is the division were up against this year. We also better hope New York wins that division.

Its amazing that were not even half way through the season yet, and were already in a must win situation...wow, it snuck up on me!

The games against Philly,Redskins and Dallas are super important because of tie breakers down the road.

What are your guy's take on this? I just cant see us getting in at 9-7 unless seattle completely implodes and we take the division.
                                -10-24-2005, 12:53 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Playoff out look
                                by RamWraith
                                Playoff scenarios for Week 14

(AP) ? Before Dec. 10 Monday night game:

AFC EAST

Miami can clinch playoff berth with:

1) Miami two wins plus Seattle loss or tie plus Denver loss or tie plus Cleveland loss or tie.
                                2) Miami two wins plus Seattle loss or tie plus Denver loss or tie plus Pittsburgh win or tie.
                                3) Miami two wins plus Seattle loss or tie plus Cleveland loss or tie plus N.Y. Jets loss plus Oakland loss.

AFC CENTRAL

Pittsburgh can clinch division with a win. Steelers can clinch playoff berth with:

1) Pittsburgh tie
                                2) Cleveland loss or tie plus Seattle loss or tie.
                                3) Cleveland loss or tie plus New England loss.

AFC WESTERN

Oakland can clinch division with:

1) Oakland win
                                2) Oakland tie plus Seattle loss plus Denver loss

NFC EASTERN

Philadelphia can clinch division with a Philadelphia win plus N.Y. Giants loss or tie.

NFC CENTRAL

Chicago can clinch playoff berth with a win.

Green Bay can clinch playoff berth with:

1) Green Bay win plus Tampa Bay loss plus Atlanta loss or tie plus Washington loss or tie.
                                2) Green Bay win plus Tampa Bay loss plus Atlanta loss or tie plus New Orleans loss or tie.

NFC WESTERN

St. Louis can clinch playoff berth with a win OR tie.

San Francisco can clinch playoff berth with a San Francisco win plus Tampa Bay loss plus Washington loss or tie plus New Orleans loss.

OUT OF THE RACE

Buffalo, Carolina and Detroit have been eliminated from playoff contenti
                                -12-11-2001, 09:27 AM
                              • general counsel
                                rams challenge to win the west
                                by general counsel
                                Even with the hass injury, we face a tough road to win the west. Not impossible, but tough. For a second lets assume that we beat seattle on the road, with or without hass. Seattle has two other probable losses: at kc this week (without hass) and at denver later. Other than those two games, they play a series of crappy teams, including oakland, sf twice, tampa, greenbay, arizona. THey have a tough game vs. san diego in the next to last week, but its at home. Given that other than kc and the rams, their games without hass are likely to be oakland, sf and greenbay, i think they will win all of those without him.

Remember that since we lost to sf, if we split with seattle and wind up tied, they will win the division by virtue of a better division record (please correct me if i am wrong on this). Thus, unless they really screwup somewhere, we need to go 11-5 to have a shot at them and that might only get us a tie for the division, which would be a loss of the division if i am correct on the tiebreakers.

Bottom line, we caught a break with the hass injury, but we are still going to have to play GREAT football for the rest of the way to have a chance to win the division, barring a real collapse by seattle or at least one real mulligan of a loss.

From my perspective, my three losses left on the sked were at sandiego, at seattle and at carolina, with the bears game and vikings game hanging out there as could go either way. Now, if we play seattle without hass, i think we have to like our chances, not that its an easy game, but if you cant beat them without their starting qb, you really need to throw up your hands and just say that they are flat out the better team and just think about a wild card at best.

It is unclear how long he will be out of course, teams are NEVER really honest about those injury reports. Hass is a very tough guy, if he can be out there for the rams game, he will be ready.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Rams switch focus to race for wild card
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                Monday, Nov. 14 2005

The Rams lost any reasonable chance to win the NFC West on Sunday in Seattle.
                                But with seven games left to play, this is no time to pack it in and start
                                planning vacation trips in January and February.

Interim head coach Joe Vitt did everything in his power to stress that point
                                Monday, and he did so in vintage "Jersey Joe" style.

"When these guys came in the (meeting) room today, we didn't put candles in the
                                room, and have organ music playing, and violins, and the Grim Reaper around the
                                corner," Vitt said Monday.

Translation: Even at 4-5, all is not lost for the 2005 Rams.

On the one hand, the Rams' fourth division title in seven seasons appears out
                                of reach. At 7-2, Seattle could stumble down the stretch. But the Rams realize
                                that's a very long long shot.

"The way they're playing, that's going to be tough to see," wide receiver Torry
                                Holt said. "But I know one thing: what we can handle is our end of the deal."

On the other hand, even if the division title no longer is a realistic goal,
                                there are two wild-card playoff berths to be had in the NFC.

"We've got a whole lot to play for," defensive end Leonard Little said. "We
                                could win 11 games, go 11-5 or whatever."

The Rams would have to run the table over the rest of the regular season to
                                make that happen. Realistically speaking, the Rams probably must win six of
                                seven to earn their sixth playoff berth in seven seasons.

As quarterback Marc Bulger put it: "We don't have much margin for error
                                anymore. We've got to start winning games. If we don't win the division for
                                some reason, we've got to put ourselves in a position to get a (wild-card)
                                playoff spot."

Entering the Dallas-Philadelphia Monday night game, nine teams had better
                                records than St. Louis. Four of those nine probably will end up winning
                                division titles, leaving St. Louis the task of somehow moving ahead of four
                                other teams to earn a wild-card berth.

The task is daunting, but not impossible. For one, there are a whopping 17
                                head-to-head matches remaining among those nine teams currently ahead of St.
                                Louis. Somebody has to lose those games, which gives the Rams a chance to make
                                up ground if they can start stringing together victories.

But this year, it will take more than eight victories to grab a wild-card. Last
                                season, both Minnesota and the Rams claimed wild-card berths at 8-8 in what was
                                a very weak NFC. Records were deflated in the NFC because of a near-record
                                dominance by the AFC in inter-conference play. The AFC...
                                -11-15-2005, 04:26 AM
                              Working...
                              X