Fred Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Miller

Assuming Turley doesn't come back(seems doubtful to me)...What do you think about Fred Miller back in a Rams Uni...He's a decent Right Tackle, and already knows the system...Looks like he might be a cap casualty for the Titans this offseason. :ramlogo:

Re: Fred Miller

Sounds good to me, SOG. He's consistent, reliable, has been injury-free, is only 31. I like this idea, bring him back.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

But, if he is going to be a salary cap loss to them, what does that mean to our payroll?
      This space for rent...

Comment

Just because someone is a salary cap casualty does not mean they will break your back. It's like the same situation we might be in with Faulk. He isn't worth the price of his contract anymore. He's still a solid player but is overpaid.

Comment

Lovin' it!

Comment

Bring back Big Jackie if turley cant play.

general counsel

Comment

I'm not alone in remembering back in 1999, especially during the playoffs, "God, if we could just get rid of Miller and get a real RT in there..." things would be great. Didn't he continually have false starts and get beat around the outside? Maybe my memory's not that clear on the subject but when I associate Fred Miller with the RT position my instinct is "bad".

Sort of illustrates nicely the state of affairs of the current line when FM is considered an upgrade and/or fix.

Comment

Originally posted by moklerman
                I'm not alone in remembering back in 1999, especially during the playoffs, "God, if we could just get rid of Miller and get a real RT in there..." things would be great. Didn't he continually have false starts and get beat around the outside? Maybe my memory's not that clear on the subject but when I associate Fred Miller with the RT position my instinct is "bad".

Sort of illustrates nicely the state of affairs of the current line when FM is considered an upgrade and/or fix.
                I guess it's all relative, Mok. The St. Clair experiment and Grant Williams are my current level of insuffecient RTs. IIRC, Miller was better than either of those two guys.
                The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I'd rather add youth, to be honest with you. There has to be some point when we start counter-balancing the age of this offensive line.

Comment

Miller got progressively better in the 99 season and had such a good game in the SB vs the Titans that they picked him up and have had him ever since. He is a major upgrade over Williams and a proven commodity. Plus he's proven to be durable which is something to keep in mind especially in the light of the Turley situation. We don't exactly have a very good track record gaugeing Lineman as draft picks the last few years

Comment

Originally posted by Shadesofgrey
                      We don't exactly have a very good track record gaugeing Lineman as draft picks the last few years
                      We don't exactly go after the upper echelon offensive line talent in the draft, either. When was the last time we spent a first day pick on a lineman? I think his name is Orlando Pace. We can't just keep drafting guys in the fourth and fifth round for the O-line and think they're going to have the talent to play in this offensive system.

Comment

I was refering to def and off linemen...If we can't seem to pick the right D-lineman...how will o-line be any different...Do the Patriots have any top pick lineman? How do they seem to get it to work?

Comment

if you please, some of you guys in support of bringing in miller should go to the titans boards and ask their fan members...i got the distinct impression that he's one of the reasons why mcnair is getting pounded to early retirement...

Comment

Sorry then. I assumed that since this was a thread about an O-lineman and the rest of your post was about the o-line, that you were referring to the offensive line with that last comment.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                              Projected 2005 Salary Cap Figures
                              by Nick
                              http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

One should also consider that if Pace is franchised again, that'll count for over $8 million against the cap....
                              -01-27-2005, 06:24 PM
                            • RamWraith
                              If???
                              by RamWraith
                              Not sure the answers to this. Anyone know for sure?

1) If Turley is indeed done forever, because of medical reasons, are the Rams responsible for his contract salary cap wise??

2) If Marshall decides on his own to retire after this season, are the Rams responsible for that entire contract salary cap wise??
                              -11-16-2004, 01:16 PM
                            • RamWraith
                              Balzer on Tuley's cap money
                              by RamWraith
                              -----cut-----

The Rams paid Turley $560,000 last season. That was his salary. Turley got $10 million to sign, and the Rams have consistently offered Pace more than that. But when the Postons were his agents, they were asking for $23 million guaranteed.

Wohlabaugh is not on the Rams books, excet for accelerated bonus money. He was released last summer, and the Rams didn't have to pay him another dime.

If Turley were cut, the Rams would owe him nothing. He has about $6.7 million of prorated bonus still to be charged against the cap. If he were released on or before June 1, all of that would go against the cap. If he was released after June 1, he would count about $1.67M this year and about $5M next year.

If he never plays again, the Rams could conceivably file a grievance seeking the return of bonus money because Turley refused acceptable medical procedures to try and come back and play. If they were successful, they would get a salary-cap credit for the money, if had already gone against the cap.
                              -02-21-2005, 02:46 PM
                            • jbell15
                              IF we can fit it under the salary cap
                              by jbell15
                              anyone interested in Edgerrin James?
                              I'm on the fence with this one
                              trying to get some more opinions.
                              What do you say?
                              -04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
                            • RamWraith
                              Salary cap is obstacle for Rams
                              by RamWraith
                              By Jim Thomas
                              Of the Post-Dispatch
                              Thursday, Jan. 27 2005

In today's NFL, it's no longer the offseason. It's the business season. And now
                              that the Rams' season is over, the challenge for team management, the personnel
                              department and the coaching staff is to improve the roster within the
                              ever-tightening constraints of the salary cap.

The Rams have 44 players under contract for the 2005 season or beyond. Those
                              players count $71.3 million against a 2005 cap that is expected to be around
                              $86 million. That leaves the Rams with nearly $15 million to fill out their
                              53-man roster, assemble a practice squad and replace injured players during the
                              season.
                              Jay Zygmunt, the Rams' president of football operations, has skillfully managed
                              the salary cap during the team's 10-year stay in St. Louis. But largely because
                              of last June's release of Kurt Warner, what's known as "dead money" is becoming
                              an issue in the team's salary cap picture.
                              Dead money is money that counts against a team's salary cap for players no
                              longer with the team. All told, the Rams have $7,774,000 in dead money, which
                              is roughly 9 percent of their projected 2005 cap: Warner counts $6.7 million
                              against the cap; center Dave Wohlabaugh counts $1 million; and safety Jason
                              Shivers counts $74,000.
                              The total in dead money could climb, depending on whether offensive tackle Kyle
                              Turley and running back Marshall Faulk return. Early indications are that Faulk
                              will be back, but Turley seems intent on talking his way out of town, even if
                              his back is healthy.
                              As things stand, the Rams have six players under contract who count $4.5
                              million or higher against the cap in 2005:

Wide receiver Isaac Bruce: $9.34 million.

Faulk: $7.53 million.

Warner: $6.72 million.

Turley: $5.57 million.

Defensive end Leonard Little: $5 million.

Wide receiver Torry Holt: $4.52 million.

Combined, those six players account for $38.68 million of 2005 cap space.
                              That's a lot of money for a handful of players. Only four teams in the NFL have
                              more than six players under contract who count $4.5 million or more against the
                              cap in 2005: Cleveland, Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Tennessee have seven
                              apiece. (The league average is four such players per team.)
                              Now assume for a moment that the Rams place the franchise tag on left tackle
                              Orlando Pace for the third consecutive season. Team president John Shaw
                              consistently has said the team will do just that if unable to reach agreement
                              on a multiyear deal. Whether Pace's lackluster play in the Rams' playoff loss
                              to Atlanta changes Shaw's mind is uncertain.
                              In the 2005 season, a franchise...
                              -01-28-2005, 04:46 AM
                            Working...
                            X