Michael Brockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Brockers

I saw a lot of analysts give the Rams grief for trading down and missing out on Fletcher Cox and Dontari Poe but Brockers has been more effective than both(though Cox has slightly better stats but has played way more).

Jenkins has got most of the hype but Brockers has played a huge part in our success.

Re: Michael Brockers

Can't remember who it was but he chased someone down before they got the first down. Brockers has hustle.

Comment

Originally posted by J-RodRamFan View Post
      Can't remember who it was but he chased someone down before they got the first down. Brockers has hustle.
      was that the sideline tackle he made? i saw that and couldn`t believe that a NT could cover so much field.i think he may have had cramp in both his legs when he done his 40 because he`s not supposed to be that quick.

Brockers sure brings his A-game when we play the Niners.they have probably the best O-line in football currently but when they face our D-line,in both games they have been made to look far from it.

i`m loving Brockers..he still has a bit to learn but for a Rookie NT he is way ahead of where he should be this early into his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
        was that the sideline tackle he made? i saw that and couldn`t believe that a NT could cover so much field.i think he may have had cramp in both his legs when he done his 40 because he`s not supposed to be that quick.

Brockers sure brings his A-game when we play the Niners.they have probably the best O-line in football currently but when they face our D-line,in both games they have been made to look far from it.

i`m loving Brockers..he still has a bit to learn but for a Rookie NT he is way ahead of where he should be this early into his career.
        Exactly the play I'm talking about. Can't remember who it was, they could have went into high gear if Brockers didn't make that play. Not many DT's would have attempted to catch that man, let alone a rookie.

Comment

Chasing down a guy is fine, but its the pass rush up the middle (or lack thereof) that has me the most concerned about our defensive front.

Comment

Originally posted by ManofGod View Post
            Chasing down a guy is fine, but its the pass rush up the middle (or lack thereof) that has me the most concerned about our defensive front.
            Brockers wasn't really drafted for that role though. He was primarily a run stuffer, and he's been doing an excellent job of that. The stats show that Gore didn't manage much more rushing yardage than Jackson did (58 yards on 23 carries for a run heavy team), and Brockers was a big part of that.

Comment

Frank Gore 23 carries 58 yards. yeah i`m concerned about the pass rush up the middle too.

we could do with a true UT to go with Brockers but for me it`s about 5th on the priority list behind a OT,OG,FS,SS. and tied with TE.

Comment

You don't draft a 6'5 322 lb NT to be an effective pass rusher. Sure, we would all love it if he was, but he was taken to help stop the run first and foremost. Of course the coaching staff will continue to develop his hand usage and pass rush techniques so he can become more effective, but as of right now he's been terrific.

And yeah when he chased down Michael Crabtree on that 10 yard hook, I was like DAMN, go get em Big Brock!

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
                  You don't draft a 6'5 322 lb NT to be an effective pass rusher. Sure, we would all love it if he was, but he was taken to help stop the run first and foremost. Of course the coaching staff will continue to develop his hand usage and pass rush techniques so he can become more effective, but as of right now he's been terrific.

And yeah when he chased down Michael Crabtree on that 10 yard hook, I was like DAMN, go get em Big Brock!
                  So in passing situations we either:
                  A. Take him out and replace him with a DT that can rush the passer.
                  B. Blitz
                  C. Keep him in and rush with basically 3 guys

Sorry guys, but at the end of the day I want a guy that can both rush the passer & stop the run.

Comment

B. Blitz

Sorry guys, but at the end of the day I want a guy that can both rush the passer & stop the run.
                    He has 2.5 sacks in 10 games played. Richard Seymour, Gerald McCoy, Brandon Mebane and Fletcher Cox have 3.0 each.

Truth is, there are not many DTs in this league who get a lot of sacks. Geno Atkins (Bengals) is the only DT in the league right now with more than 6 sacks for the year.

I think Brockers will develop as a pass rusher, but he probably won't ever have more than 7-8 sacks in a year.

Comment

B. Blitz

please name all of these great pass rushing 2/3 technique dt's who also are great at stuffing the run? There are barely 10 dt's with more than the 3 sacks Brockers has and that's with missing 3 games and most of the entire preseason. Brockers has more or an equal number of sacks as some of the best Dt's in the game as a 21 year old rookie.

I shouldn't even have to explain how silly it is to judge a 21 year old rookie on his rookie year but maybe I have to since you are expecting a 1 or 2 technique tackle to be a great pass rusher. That's like expecting an 4-3 linebacker to have double digit sacks.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                        Fear The Beard: Healthy Brockers Ready To Take Next Step
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        Fear the beard: Healthy Brockers ready to take next step

11 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

Michael Brockers’ beard can best be described as prolific, even biblical.

“It’s coming along very well,” said Brockers, the Rams’ second-year defensive tackle. “At LSU, I just had a little chin (hair) going, but now I think the all-out beard really makes me look dominant. Beard equals sacks. And I think sacks are good for me right now.”

Brockers was joking, but the goal definitely is to take the next step as an NFL defensive tackle, whether it’s sacks, tackles for loss — what have you — and become a force in the middle of the St. Louis front four.

“Mike did a great job coming back off the high ankle (sprain), and really finished up strong toward the second half of the (2012) season,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s worked very hard. He’s changed his body, and we think he can be a dominating player inside.”

A high ankle sprain in the Rams’ 2012 preseason finale against Baltimore sidelined Brockers for the first three games of his rookie season. High ankle sprains can take forever to heal — just ask Sam Bradford — and Brockers felt lingering effects of the injury throughout the season.

Even so, he came on strong over the second half of the year, playing very much like the No. 14 overall pick in the draft. At season’s end, he joined cornerback Janoris Jenkins as the first Rams since 2003 to make the NFL’s all-rookie team. Brockers’ season totals included 63 tackles, four sacks and 17 QB pressures or hits. All in all it made for a good start in the NFL, but Brockers wants more this season.

“I can’t even see the ceiling yet,” Brockers said during practices in June. “I want to keep progressing from here on in, and I just keep doing my thing. The ankle is fine. I have no excuses now and I’m putting a lot of pressure on myself to do great things.”

The high ankle sprain, to Brockers’ right ankle, is long behind him. In addition, Brockers underwent cleanup surgery in February to remove bone chips in his left ankle. He believes that procedure corrected carryover symptoms from an injury at LSU that irritated his foot last season.

“When I’m in my stance, it really pinched on nerves,” Brockers said after a recent training camp practice. “Now that that’s out I can just feel me being more explosive off the ball, getting in the backfield real quick.”

Brockers now has two good wheels and has increased his overall weight and upper-body strength.

“He’s changed his body,” Fisher said. “He’s gained some weight, but it’s good weight. He’s gained a tremendous amount of strength.”

Brockers weighed in at 325 pounds for training camp after playing around 318 to 320 as a rookie. An extra five to seven pounds may not sound like much, but for a finely tuned pro...
                        -07-30-2013, 09:47 AM
                      • Rambos
                        Brockers getting closer
                        by Rambos
                        by nick wagoner

Coach Jeff Fisher said the Rams made it through the game relatively clean and actually made mention of the Rams getting healthier, namely on the defensive front.

That means that DTs Michael Brockers and Matt Conrath could be back in the mix next week. Brockers, in particular, seems to be on track. He actually went through a pre-game warmup workout with strength coach Rock Gullickson. It looks good for the prized rookie’s return sooner than later.
                        -09-24-2012, 01:00 PM
                      • Rambos
                        Michael Brockers having an impact
                        by Rambos
                        In the last two game we gave up only 45 yards on the ground to AZ and shut down the Fins who had only 19 yards on 18 carries.

I would think he is making his Presents felt.
                        -10-14-2012, 06:56 PM
                      • MauiRam
                        Rams DT Brockers poised for breakthrough .. Nick Wagoner
                        by MauiRam
                        By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

Halfway through St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Michael Brockers' rookie season he found himself wondering if he was going to be able to have the kind of impact expected of the 14th pick in the NFL draft.

The first half of the season had essentially been a wash as Brockers dealt with the lingering effects of a high ankle sprain suffered in the preseason finale. He returned in Week 4 but the ankle injury didn’t allow him to perform the way he’d hoped.

Things were so bad that Brockers doesn’t even like the mention of the first eight games of his career. He prefers not to watch the game film from his first five appearances.

“I can’t put it into words from my mouth because it was just really bad,” Brockers said. “When I look at myself toward the end of the season and look at myself toward the beginning of the season, my stance has changed, I’m coming off the ball different, I’m reading plays different, everything is different when you first get into the league because everything is going fast and I had the ankle so I’m playing tentative. It really was bad tape to watch. I hate watching it but now that we moved on to different games and later in the season, I am just trying to progress off of that really.”

Brockers’ breakthrough performance came right at the beginning of the second half of the season. Motivated by the opportunity to face San Francisco’s tough, physical offensive line, namely guard Mike Iupati, Brockers said it was in that Week 10 game that he finally put all thoughts about his ankle out of his mind.

“The game I like to play is smashmouth football,” Brockers said. “That game really put a lot of pressure on the ankle. After that, I was like ‘this ankle can hold up’ and I can go out and play. I think that was the turning point.”

Brockers never looked back in the second half of the season though he had his share of ups and downs, as rookies tend to do. He again gave San Francisco fits in Week 13, and put on another dominant performance against Buffalo the following week.

That late-season performance combined with an offseason in which he has reshaped his body has many observers believing that Brockers, on a team full of young potential, is the most likely to emerge into a full blown star in 2013.

“Mike did a great job coming back off the high ankle (injury), and really finished up strong toward the second half of the season,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s worked very hard. He’s changed his body, and we think he can be a dominating player inside.”

The changing of the body has seemed like something of a neverending process for Brockers, even dating to before he entered the league. Brockers arrived at the 2012 scouting combine around 322 pounds but dropped down to closer to 310 through the draining process of draft preparation.

Brockers put some of that...
                        -09-02-2013, 12:32 PM
                      • Rambos
                        Brockers Getting Comfortable
                        by Rambos
                        Nick Wagoner

A little more than two weeks ago, rookie defensive tackle Michael Brockers found himself getting ready to step on the field for his first NFL game.

Preseason or not, Brockers was nervous, butterflies in the stomach, on the verge of vomit type of nervous. In fact, Brockers found himself so anxious that he spent more time worrying about letting his teammates down than staying focused on the task at hand.

Upon the first contact of that game, those nerves went away but Brockers walked away knowing that he needed to get back to his fundamentals taught by line coach Mike Waufle in order to fare better last week against Kansas City.

“Use the basics Coach Waufle is teaching us,” Brockers said. “Finish getting back to the quarterback, putting pressure on him and stuff like that. I feel like if you get back to the basics, everything will work out like you want it to.”

From game one to game two, progress was made for Brockers, not only in his eyes but in the eyes of coach Jeff Fisher. He finished with four tackles and was regularly a force against the run, taking on multiple blockers and allowing teammates to run free to the ball.

Like any rookie, Brockers has had his share of ups and downs in his first training camp but so far he seems to have pushed through it and is working to make progress daily in the preseason.

“He’s doing well,” Fisher said. “He might be a little tired, but he’ll get his legs back. He was a force inside. His pad level was good. He had some good pressures inside. That’s a big offensive line and they were clearly set out to protect the quarterback through the play action pass, but they were also banging on our ends. So he either had a 1-on-1 or he had a double. When he had a 1-on-1 he was getting good pressure.”

As the Rams’ first round pick – No. 14 overall – in April, Brockers was saddled with the task of jumping into the starting lineup almost immediately and being a consistent presence in the middle of the line that could help the Rams heretofore porous run defense.

When Brockers arrived in St. Louis, he checked in at an imposing 6’5, 323 pounds and plugged in next to Kendall Langford on an emerging defensive line. The expectation was that Brockers would be helpful against the run right away while Waufle helped him develop some needed pass rush skills.

The first thing asked of Brockers had nothing to do with any details of his game.

“They asked me to trim down a little bit which was OK with me,” Brockers said. “I can see the goal of where I’m supposed to be in the first place. I don’t mind trimming down some more and I’ll be even better than I was when I first started camp.”

When Brockers was drafted, he was about 11 pounds heavier than what he played at when he was at Louisiana State. The added weight didn’t seem to bother his conditioning much...
                        -08-20-2012, 01:42 PM
                      Working...
                      X