Was it really 25 years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it really 25 years ago?

I remember it so well, I can't believe it was really 25 years ago.

The 1979 season.

The Rams win their division with a 9-7 record behind Vince Ferragamo. Wendell Tyler and Cullen Bryant in the backfield. Billy Waddy the big play receiver. Jackie Slater, Dennis Harrah, Rich Saul...

And that defense... Jack Youngblood, Jim Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Larry Brooks, Rod Perry, Nolan Cromwell...

Going to the Super Bowl against the Steelers Dynasty - and staying toe-to-toe with them for three quarters.

That was quite a year.

Re: Was it really 25 years ago?

Avenger, hadn't seen this until now, after doing some Rams reminiscing of some very fine RBs of the near and distant past (in 'Faulk Might Not Play' thread).

79, that was a very good year. 'Year I got married to my wonderful wife of 25 seasons now.

Great team of 79. Rams came close to winning it all, indeed! :helmet:
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-03-2004, 01:59 PM.

Comment

it's a good thing the Rams broke through and won the Superbowl in 2000, otherwise we may still be looking back to the '79 team in the Superbowl and wondering "what if"?

Comment

I was in Jr High when that game happened, I was so excited until the 4th Quarter when Bradshaw through that TD pass right over the corners finger tips, that took the air out of me. What an upset that would have been.

Comment

i will never forget the halfback option pass for a td from mccutcheon.

Now, if we could only resurrect that rams defense and put it with our current offense, we would be cooking with gas.

Does anyone know if jack youngblood is in the shape. He probably cant go every down anymore, but he might be a holy terror and bust some heads on special teams.

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
            I remember it so well, I can't believe it was really 25 years ago.

The 1979 season.

The Rams win their division with a 9-7 record behind Vince Ferragamo. Wendell Tyler and Cullen Bryant in the backfield. Billy Waddy the big play receiver. Jackie Slater, Dennis Harrah, Rich Saul...

And that defense... Jack Youngblood, Jim Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Larry Brooks, Rod Perry, Nolan Cromwell...

Going to the Super Bowl against the Steelers Dynasty - and staying toe-to-toe with them for three quarters.

That was quite a year.

Indeed what a year! I was surfing all day long and to come home and see that the Rams were up was unbelievable and the fact that my dad did not bust me for stopping at the Hollow on my way home after being in the hollow all day long :king:

Then Nolan almost wins the game with the easiest interception ever given to him (I think this occurred during pop's eye examination, thank goodness for saltwater :tongue: )

If my memory serves me correctly, we should have won that game if Nolan catches that walk off interception either late in the third quarter or early in the fourth or was that the humboldt permanent impairment hard at work in mi brain?

I can't see :tongue:
            Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• HUbison
              Which Rams team is the greatest of all time?
              by HUbison
              I've only been a Rams fan since they moved to St. Louis, so I have not followed the team as long as some of you guys & girls. I suffered from 95-98, but have been privileged to bask in the glory of 99-03 (with the speed bump of '02). I think I have seen some of the greatest Ram teams of all time just in the past 5 years, but I am curious what everyone else thinks. What is the greatest Rams team of all time? Now it will be easy to say '99, because of the SB win, but really looking at the team as a whole not just one game, which team was the greatest?

I eagerly await all views.
              -06-21-2004, 07:45 AM
              Rams=Braves?
              by Guest
              Yes, I shudder at the thought. But before ya'll panic, there are a couple differences between the two. First off, the bravos LOST there first meeting at the Big Show(1991), whereas the Rams WON(99). As a matter of fact, the Bravos lost their second meeting as well. Also, the braves have been there 5, count em' FIVE times and have only one ONCE. Rams of course twice and won once. But this is where the differences end.
              Braves did, do, great in regular season, have tons of front runner fans, and fizzle out at the end. I see the same thing in the Rams. I'm not saying the Rams "fizzled" last year, but it's pretty close, in sports terms. And even in 2000, when they didn;'t even make it, the Rams started out very strong, then fizzled. The Braves, because they've only got one ring to show for it, look like bums IN MY EYES! The Rams will be picked to win it all this year, just like the braves used to be years ago. "Too much talent" the media says. I hate that connotation!! I DON"T WANT THIS HAPPENING TO THE RAMS!! I BELIEVE THE ONLY WAY TO AVOID THIS COMPARISON IS A SB WIN THIS YEAR. HEY THAT'S A LOT OF PRESSURE, I KNOW, BUT I'D RATHER HAVE 1 MORE WIN IN THE SB, THAN SHOW UP 5 MORE TIMES AND LOSE!!!!!!!!
              Look, I'll be a Rams fan for life, that's for sure, I just feel it's imperative they don't look like those Bills (sorry DJ) or Braves, who seem to have NOTHING to show for all the talent they supposedly had. Can the Rams be like my great Yankees?!! Do it for me GOD!! But seriously, The Rams are going ALL THE WAY next year BABY!!! AM I ALONE?? NO WAY, JUST ASK YODA!! !;)
              -04-08-2002, 11:46 AM
            • AvengerRam_old
              The Greatest Loss of All Time
              by AvengerRam_old
              My new sig is dedicated to what I believe to be the greatest loss in Ram history: Super Bowl XIV.

For those who remember that day - it wasn't even supposed to be a game. The three time champion Steelers were going to crush the upstart Rams, who nudged their way into the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

In the end, the Steelers would win the day, but for the first three and one half quarters, it was anyone's game. A couple more breaks, and the Rams would have pulled off an upset that would have made the 1968 Jets and even the 2001 Patriots pale by comparison.

There is never joy in losing, but I think the Rams walked off the field with their heads held higher, with a greater sense of pride, than any losing team before or since.

The quote in my sig comes from a post-game article I found on line.

I can just see Jack... limping off the field... his broken lower leg throbbing... his uniform covered with dirt and grass stains... glancing at the cocky Terry Bradshaw and giving him a look that said... "we may not be walking off this field with a trophy, but you guys were the ones who felt fear today."

That's the pride the Rams need to find again.
              -01-30-2006, 10:22 PM
            • Marshall1
              Your best sport memory
              by Marshall1
              I will never forget this game, November 1987. We were playing Carthage NY. Game time weather was nice clear day37 degrees. I was a safty. First quarter they tried to pass the defense tightened up, they scored no problem. Second quarter hmmm weather is moving in, temp dropped like a rock 20 degrees now rain. Hmmm not to bad stop them from passing, they went to a balanced attack, Bill Barlow Carthage running back, 6'3" 245lbs, me 5'7" 145, not scared of him just getting tired of him hitting me. Sleet began great no more passing, all day long Barlow, all damn day long, game tied at half time. We live up in the mountain in NY snow is our freind.
              Come out of locker room 2" of snow on the ground, we turn around and put longer cleets on our feet, now we are ready. Game was tied at 7 a peice and the snow became a BLIZZARD, we had our twelth player, no more passing it's all running myself and Jim Strack out other safty were blitzing ever play we were unstoppable. I had sacked the QB and knocked the ball out of his hands, our Defenseive end Eric Westerfeild 6'3" 260 lbs oh ya he was our running back (coaches in Albany U) picked up the ball for a TD. I ended the game with 12 tackles and 2 sacks. One of the only games I really remember quarter by quarter, hit by hit.

What a great game :ramlogo:
              -02-09-2005, 11:30 AM
            • ramhard
              Dr Z has Rams in 3 of the top 8 Superbowls of all time
              by ramhard
              Dr Z ranks his best Superbowls, and has the Rams at 2, 5, and 8. Unfortunately, two of them were Rams losses.

SI.com - Writers - Memories are made of these (cont.) - Tuesday February 5, 2008 2:40PM
              -02-06-2008, 09:04 AM
            Working...
            X