Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Will Be The Status Of 2004 Draftees Next Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Will Be The Status Of 2004 Draftees Next Year?

I already posed the Smoker question in a seperate thread, but what will be the status of guys like Chillar, Shivers, Hargrove, etc?

do you think they will be moved into the starting line-up or will it depend on free agency?

what is the progress status of these players? since I live in Idaho, the only time I see the Rams play is when they play the Seachickens. and even then, I do not see much of the 2004 draft with the exception of Jackson.

I would like to know your thoughts!
    Last edited by ; -12-03-2004, 08:59 PM.

Re: What Will Be The Status Of 2004 Draftees Next Year?

I read in one of the Inside Slants that Hargrove would be starting if he were 100%, but he's recovering from a stinger or something. Other than that, it's hard to say.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
      Hargrove suspened one year
      by RamWraith
      Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2008, 9:14 a.m.
      Our friend Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange and Sirius NFL Radio reports (via WKBW-TV in Buffalo) that Bills defensive end Anthony Hargrove has recently failed a drug test.

Because Hargrove has been suspended four games for violation of the substance-abuse policy within the last two years, the failed test most likely will trigger a one-year suspension.

Hargrove was traded to the Bills in 2006 from the Rams, after Hargrove went AWOL for several days during the regular season.

He’ll be an unrestricted free agent in March. And if he’s suspended for a year, it’s pretty safe to assume he won’t draw many offers.

Hargrove appeared in 12 games in 2007, starting in none of them. He had 18 tackles, 10 assists, and 1.5 sacks
      -01-19-2008, 08:53 AM
    • RamWraith
      Sporting News Rams report
      by RamWraith
      With Bryce Fisher scheduled for unrestricted free agency and Leonard
      Little facing possible legal or league sanctions due to a drunken-driving arrest, Anthony Hargrove is a key figure for the Rams at defensive end. No one needs a better offseason than Hargrove, who needs to get stronger and work on his technique. Otherwise, Hargrove has all the tools to be an above-average DE, perhaps even a Pro Bowl-caliber player. But he is very raw after coming out early for the draft last year after being declared academically ineligible at Georgia Tech. Hargrove progressed enough that he was starting by the end of his rookie season in St. Louis. Even so, the Rams need to fast-forward his development for '05. . . .

Undrafted rookie Dwight Anderson showed a lot of spunk in 2004, and he has the speed and athleticism to play in the NFL. But he needs to refine his game dramatically and improve on cutting down on his mental mistakes if he wants to gain a foothold on the Rams' depth chart at cornerback. At the very least, Anderson could be a very effective special teams player, particularly on punt and kickoff coverage units. But he had problems maintaining his lane discipline and spent most of the second half of the season as a pregame inactive. . . .

QB Jeff Smoker wants to be the Rams' No. 2 quarterback in '05. To do so, he needs to show coach Mike Martz that he has a decent grasp of the offense and show the kind of maturity it takes to learn the intricacies of the "Air Martz" attack. Smoker also needs to make the most of his opportunities in minicamp, training camp and the preseason. With Chris Chandler almost certainly not coming back, the opening is there for Smoker to emerge as the top backup to Marc Bulger.

Something to Prove:
      With Tommy Polley not expected to be back, Brandon Chillar has an opportunity to become a starting outside linebacker. Chillar began the 2004 season, his rookie campaign, starting ahead of Polley. But he lost his starting spot early in the season to Polley and played sparingly the rest of the year except on special teams. Chillar has decent size and displayed good range. Enough range, in fact, to be good in traffic. He appears adept at weaving his way through traffic, and he has good instincts for getting to the football. But Chillar needs to be better at the point of attack while taking on lead blockers, and he could benefit greatly from a good offseason in the weight room.
      -02-07-2005, 06:18 AM
    • RamWraith
      Hargrove Hopes Success Carries Over
      by RamWraith
      Monday, August 7, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
      Senior Writer

On any given day, during any normal training camp practice, there will be plenty of chatter on the field. For the most part, that talk is relatively reserved, but every once in a while the monotony of the day to grind will be broken up by loud, shrill screams.

Those screeches can be heard all over the field and almost always originate from the guy wearing No. 95, defensive end Anthony Hargrove.

“He keeps us amused because he has a lot of energy,” defensive end Leonard Little said. “I have always known Tony as a high energy guy, always laughing, joking around, jumping around. It keeps us laughing, but it also keeps us loosened up out there during practice.”

Entering his third season in the NFL, Hargrove has never lacked energy or enthusiasm for football. On a consistent basis, Hargrove has been one of the team leaders in smiles and laughs.

What he hasn’t been consistent about is sacking the quarterback or stuffing the run at his spot opposite Little. That’s one mission that Hargrove is taking steps to correct and he believes this is the year to do it.

“That’s how I am treating it right now for myself as a make it or break it year,” Hargrove said. “It’s my third year; I finally should hopefully be the starter and trying to do the best I can to see where it goes from there. We’ll see what happens.”

When the Rams drafted Hargrove with their third-round choice in 2004, he had been a year removed from football because of academic issues at Georgia Tech. When he was on the field, Hargrove had been a quarterback with little experience as a defensive end.

But his size (6-3, 269 pounds) and athleticism made him an intriguing option for any team willing to take a chance on a bit of a project for the position. The Rams took that chance and Hargrove instantly became one of the team’s most impressive athletes.

Hargrove was dominant on the practice field with his speed and agility, but it never quite translated to game days. Sure, there were flashes of the talent, but Hargrove lacked consistency from game to game.

Finally, at the end of last season, something started to work for Hargrove. Never a fan of film study, Hargrove became a student of the game. He finished the year on a tear, recording 4.5 sacks in the final three games including a two-sack, fumble recovery, four tackle game in the finale against Dallas.

“I started watching more film and watching pass rushers to see what they are doing that I wasn’t doing and that’s what I tried to do,” Hargrove said. “I just tried to do what they were doing.”

What the likes of Dwight Freeney and Michael Strahan were doing was getting to the quarterback. Hargrove made it his mission to carry the confidence gained from his finish to the season into the offseason.
      -08-07-2006, 08:28 PM
    • RamWraith
      Hargrove faces heavy fines
      by RamWraith
      By Jim Thomas
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      09/23/2006

Defensive end Anthony Hargrove finally showed up at Rams Park, but nearly a day and a half late.

About 11:30 a.m. Friday, Hargrove hopped out of his SUV and quickly ducked into a side entrance at Rams Park.

The team was three-fourths of the way through its final full-scale practice of the week. Hargrove met with team officials, but not coach Scott Linehan. Linehan was still on the practice field, apparently unaware Hargrove was in the building.

A little more than an hour later, Hargrove emerged from the main entrance at Rams Park, and in a near sprint, ran to his vehicle and left the premises. He returned later in the afternoon for his first face-to-face meeting with Linehan since going AWOL from the team Thursday morning.

According to team sources, the meeting didn't last long. "About three minutes," said one Rams employee.

Hargrove assured Linehan that he was physically fine and told Linehan in very general terms that he had some personal issues that were troubling him. Linehan postponed any full-blown discussions of those issues with Hargrove until probably Monday.

Hargrove will not accompany the team to Arizona for Sunday's game against the Cardinals. Following Friday's practice, Linehan was asked if Hargrove was suspended.

"He's just not playing," Linehan said. "You can call it what you want. He won't be active."

Rookie Victor Adeyanju will start in Hargrove's place. Brandon Green, who was on the pregame inactive list against Denver and San Francisco, will dress against the Big Red and provide backup help.

Upset that Hargrove failed to communicate with the team about his absence until Thursday afternoon, the Rams plan to fine him.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players, Hargrove can be fined specific amounts for each meeting, practice and team function missed.

On Thursday alone, adding up each specific transgression, the fine would total in excess of $30,000, according to team sources. But under the bargaining agreement, the total amount of any fine cannot exceed $20,000 per day. So barring a last-minute change of heart by the team, Hargrove can expect $40,000 in fines -- $20,000 for Thursday and $20,000 for Friday.

According to St. Louisan Reggie Blackwell, who handles marketing for Hargrove, Hargrove is prepared for the worst.

"He needs to be accountable for his actions, and he understands if there are fines, penalties -- whatever ramifications come down the line -- that he needs to take care of that," Blackwell said. "He's willing to bite that, swallow it, and get back on the field and be committed to football."

On Friday, Hargrove did not...
      -09-23-2006, 06:00 AM
      Hargrove not doing very good
      by Guest
      I think he might turn into a bust. I realize he is young but has not shown anything.

2004 Rams sack leaders
      9 Fisher
      7 Little
      5 Lewis
      4 Tyoka
      2 Pickett
      2 Pisa
      2 Arch
      2 Polley
      1 Hargrove 15 games 2 started

2005 Rams sack leaders
      7 Fisher (With Seattle)
      4 Little (7 games)
      3.5 Arch
      3 Kennedy
      2 Tyoka
      2 Green
      2 Hargrove

I think we miss Fisher I would never say he is better then Little but he has more sacks last year and this year.
      Fisher 16 sacks last 25 games.
      Little 11 sacks last 23 games.
      Hargrove 3 sacks last 24 games 11 started.
      -11-17-2005, 07:20 PM
    Working...
    X