Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion about trading down out of both 1st round picks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion about trading down out of both 1st round picks.

Just starting some discussion. I'm not saying we should trade one or both picks away. There's alot of stuff to still be played out. But I am kind of looking at these points.

1. Lets be honest, most thought we would have two picks in the top 10 for the 2013 NFL Draft. Would we really be getting a good value with what is thought to be available at this point. As of now what are we looking at, two picks between 15 to 32.

2. The next class of players to be drafted, is there really anyone that you could see setting the world on fire and being an instant game changer between 15 and 32 spots.

3. I completely trust this staff with making good decisions and picking the right players in rounds 1 for both our picks, so I'll be happy with our picks regardless. But I also trust their decisions in picking solid quality players in the later rounds.

4. It seems to me there could possibly be some teams wanting to trade up with the Rams since we have two picks and could be flexible. I got a feeling Washington is gonna be pretty good next year, so what do we have to look forward too with next years draft, (another pick in the high twenties????). What do some of your think?

5. What would be some fair trade options in scenarios with next years draft. Meaning for example. Trade away one of our 1's this year for any willing teams next years #1. but possibly picking up an extra 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th or multiple picks combined for 2013 and 2014.

Seems like two years ago there were a couple of teams that made a couple of mid round trades, and I slightly remember a couple of teams getting 3 or 4 picks in later years. I mean look at New England, they work that draft board like no other. For a team that always picks in the high 20's they seem to be doing pretty good for themselves. Do any of you see Jeff Fisher and Co. using the New England strategy. I mean we did it last year and scored pretty good, Why not try this again? What do you all think ? Thoughts.....

I just feel like we should use the RGIII trade to our advantage, and I"m not sure forcing mid to late 1st round players onto our roster this year is gonna solve anything. I'm just not seeing this years draft class as very talented after the top 10 are gone.

Re: Discussion about trading down out of both 1st round picks.

I hate to offer an ambiguous answer, but it really comes down to what player is there at the pick. Fisher and Snead are nothing if not bold in the draft room (apparently), so I'd say they won't reach for possibilities nor bow to conventional wisdom.

If they don't like what's available at their pick, I'm sure they will have no problem pulling the trade trigger.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I think there will be plenty of very good options in the 15-25 range, so I would only consider a trade if it resulted in a windfall. This year's draft may lack elite prospects at the top, but its deep enough to warrant making picks in the latter half of the first round.

Comment

If there's one thing we know about the draft, it is that we know nothing about the draft.

Without looking it up, I would venture to say that there are just as many Hall-of-Famers drafted after the 15th pick as there are drafted before the 15th pick.

Regardless of whether that is absolute or not, my point is, there are stars found after the 1st round in every draft.

That said, I hope the braintrust continue to use the draft strategy they used for this most recent draft. If they do, we'll be fine.

Comment

It comes down to not what the Rams need/want when it comes to "trading down" to pick up more picks, but what the other 32 teams wants/needs. Lets say the Rams pick at 15 and there is a player the Cowgirls want desperately--something like that can happen. But what is coming out of the college ranks that something like that could happen?

More importantly what do the Rams need first to even consider any trades. If the Rams pick in the top 10, (unlikely) then there is real value in trading down. Likely all the top QBs/RBs/WRs would be gone before the 10th pick. And the Rams have issues like Amendola and Jackson to shore up first...and assuming Fisher and company get on the ball and start talking to other teams free-agents (those not involved in the playoffs), then its a clearer picture as to draft strategies.

The real work begins for the Rams on December 31st for the 2013 season...am plenty sure the Rams have in mind who they wish to part company with; question is who do they wanta keep and bring in

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
            Wagoner: A Look At The Rams' 12 Picks In NFL DRaft
            by r8rh8rmike
            A look at the Rams' 12 picks in NFL draft

April, 3, 2014
            By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Whether it's general manager Les Snead or coach Jeff Fisher, the St. Louis Rams have consistently made it clear this offseason how much they like their current roster.

They've backed up those words by forgoing any major signings in free agency, only recently adding a trio of players to provide depth at quarterback, defensive tackle and wide receiver.

But with a dozen picks in May's NFL draft, it will be interesting to see just how many of those choices get used or if the Rams again move up and down the board in an effort to end up with more quality than quantity. Those 12 selections are tied for the most of any team in the league.

By the fifth round of the 2013 draft, the Rams had completed their business by selecting running back Zac Stacy. They won't be able to duplicate that this year since they have three compensatory picks, one in Round 6 and two in Round 7. Compensatory picks can't be traded.

It is, however, fair to wonder whether the Rams will want to continue trading down to accumulate more picks if they're as happy with the roster as they say they are.

“You’d like to say you hit on all 12, but when it’s all said and done we may not make 12 selections, we don’t know,’’ Fisher said.

If indeed the Rams do make a trade down or two in the first round, don't be surprised if they also look to aggressively move up in the later rounds. The draft is considered one of the deepest in years and though they can't trade the three late compensatory selections, it would be logical for the Rams to try to package some of those picks together to get another pick in the range of the fourth or-fifth rounds. Barring that, they could also look to move out of some of those late picks in exchange for late picks in future seasons.

That would give the Rams the chance to have an earlier shot at some of the better players available in those rounds while also preventing them from having to try to find a spot for 14 or 15 drafted rookies.

Here's a look at the Rams' picks in this draft:

Round 1: Nos. 2 and 13
            Round 2: No. 44
            Round 3: No. 75
            Round 4: No. 110
            Round 5: No. 153
            Round 6: Nos. 188 and 214*
            Round 7: Nos. 226, 241, 249*, 250*
            Note: * indicates compensatory selection
            -04-03-2014, 12:55 PM
          • Barry Waller
            Teams Unwilling To Deal Second Rounders In This Draft
            by Barry Waller
            Even the Falcon's supposed push for Clowney seems to be less likely because of the value of high picks this year, especially second round picks.

However, I do see teams giving up #3 and/or #4 picks to move up in round one, especially ones like the Niners with extra three's.

So how far can a team move up with just a third round pick as the extra for the team trading down?

According to the trade chart, the Niners could move up from 30 to 21 for just one of their higher extra #3 picks. Two thirds would get them as high as 17.

The cost to get to the top 14 or so will be much higher in this draft.

Say a team wants to get above Cleveland at 26 to get a QB. The cost for say the Texans at 33 to get to 26 would be a four and a five. They could get to pick 17 just for their third rounder. according to the chart.

As long as the cost is just a third or less, or picks in 2015, teams will be looking hard to move up, but I can't see a lot of second rounders flying in deals around this year, which isn't great for the Rams.

However, even adding a high third in a short deal down could allow the Rams to get a really good QB there.
            -05-02-2014, 07:00 AM
          • richtree
            Trading down, no not from pick #6 -- from pick #33
            by richtree
            I think the Rams should stay pat at #6 and grab a top talent of Blackmon, Floyd, Richardson, Khalil or Claiborne.....

Other than that, there hasn't been alot of talk about trading pick #33.....

Since pick #33 will be a day later, there will be a bunch of teams that will want "their guy" at #33....

The Eagles and Patriots have 2 picks in Round #2....I truly think both teams would rather trade up for #33 due to their cap space and their team being older / closer to contention.

Rams trade #33 for Eagles #41 and #56

or

Rams trade #33 for Pats #48 and #62

The Rams end up with 3 picks in the 2nd Round and they may have to throw in another pick for the Values to add up....but this could be a unbelievable draft with 4 of the top 64 picks....

Not to mention the Patriots love future picks and we need more NOW....

can't wait....I think I am done thinking until Thursday....

(then have to wait til Friday for #33 -- grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
            -04-24-2012, 01:44 PM
          • QUINNtessentialTruth
            We have not 1 but 2 picks that will receive a lot of attention
            by QUINNtessentialTruth
            I was listening to Adam Schefter on The Herd today and he brought up a great point.

There is no question that our #2 overall pick will receive attention. However that 1st pick in the second round might receive just as much if not MORE attention. Think about it once the first round ends, there is a whole day before second round starts so the value of that pick has no where to go but UP.

So if we can trade back our #2 overall and pick up what we want. Why not trade our 2nd round pick for two 2nd round picks, or atleast check out whatever offer comes our way that day.
            -01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Rams Have Four Picks Among Top 100 In Next Month's NFL Draft
            by r8rh8rmike
            Rams have four picks among top 100 in next month's NFL draft

Gary Klein Contact Reporter

The Los Angeles Rams have four picks in the top 100 selections of next month’s NFL draft, based on the draft order the league released Tuesday.
            The Rams, coming off a 7-9 season, have a total of six picks in the seven-round draft that will be held April 28-30 in Chicago.

They have the 15th overall pick in the first round. Their two second-round slots are the 43rd and 45th overall picks. Their third-round pick is 76th.

In the fourth round, the Rams have the 110th pick. They do not have a fifth-round spot because they chose offensive lineman Isaiah Battle in last year’s supplemental draft.

Their sixth-round spot is the 190th overall selection.

The Rams do not have a seventh-round pick because they traded it to the Houston Texans as part of a trade for quarterback Case Keenum.
            It remains to be seen whether the Rams will package their high-round picks to move up in the draft.

Coach Jeff Fisher said last week that the Rams would begin formal draft meetings in Southern California on April 5....
            -03-31-2016, 08:24 AM
          Working...
          X