• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz on the MIke

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Saturday, December 4, 2004

(On finishing practice early)
    We stopped early. We had two team sessions that we cut short. This close to the game, I was a little worried about some of the legs and stuff. We watched some things closely. We took some things out, and shortened the team (drills) down. We had good work, so we cut it short.

(On S Antuan Edwards)
    I think he has a great feel for the ball in the air, and the range in terms of the passing game. Based on what we saw here in the last week, hes certainly a willing tackler, and a big force defender. His range back there, break on the ball, and his awareness is kind of natural for him. Im very pleased with him.

(On the players being excited to see what RB Steven Jackson can do)
    I think we all are. I think were all kind of anxious to put him in that kind of a role and see what he will do here in the regular season. I think he will play very well.

(On if DT Jimmy Kennedy will start)
    Im not sure what the rotation is right now. I havent talked to Bill (Kollar) about it. He will see a lot of playing time. He played very well last week. Hes making outstanding progress. I am surprised (about how much he is able to play). Hes made no mention of any soreness in the foot. Hes done everything weve asked him to do and hes getting a lot better.

(On WR Isaac Bruce)
    We rested him completely. He just did individuals today and yesterday. The swelling on the arm is down. Hell be fine for the game. Theres just nothing to be gained from that (practicing) at this point. Hell do some work tomorrow, but that will be it.

(On RB Marshall Faulk)
    He has a bone bruise inside the knee on the knee cap. He can play, but its painful. Well just kind of judge how he feels on Sunday. Im sure he will be up and available. Im not sure exactly when he did it, I couldnt tell you. Im not sure he knows. You get into the adrenaline flowing, and you dont remember when some of that stuff happens to you.

(On RB Arlen Harris)
    Arlen is the best. Hes fine. I dont worry about Arlen at all, hes a good player.

(On QB Marc Bulgers toughness)
    He hangs in there and makes throws with people all over him. Im very pleased with that part of it. I think at times weve really protected him very well. He does a good job of tucking it, and also getting rid of the ball too. Im very pleased with his toughness. That whole part of his game is very outstanding.

(On the inconsistency in the NFC West)
    Im not sure. I havent really thought much about it. Ive been just looking in our own backyard, at our situation. I know the issues that we have and that weve trying to plug.

(On keeping the teams spirits up)
    Thats one of the reason that we finished practice (early). I think their mood went real well. I think theyre anxious to play. After you go through those things (losing a game), youre always anxious to get back out on the playing field. I think theyll play well.

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, December 10, 2004

(On how QB Chris Chandler looked)
    Good. Hes ready to go. Hes excited about playing. He has a real good grasp of what were trying to do. The timing of what hes doing is really good. Im excited for him, and Im excited that we have him here. We were just talking at practice, that at this point in his career, to be in this situation, he can enjoy where he is, go out and have fun, make some things happen, and appreciate the opportunity. Im sure hell do a good job for us.

(On the running backs)
    Arlen (Harris) will start. Marshall (Faulk) is ready to go, I think. Well just see where Steven (Jackson) is. We didnt do anything with him (today). Theres no sense in making it (his knee) swell up again. Well see where he is on Sunday. If he can go, hell go, if not, he wont. Were going to get him back in short order. Hes not going to be out very long. If he misses this one, Im sure he will be back the following week. I dont know if hell miss this one, weve just been very cautious with him.

(On the defense)
    I think knowledge of what were doing is the key. We do so many different things every week, like we do offensively. To be able to do those things, make those adjustment, and to do it at a high level or with great speed, and without being tentative. That tentativeness is where weve been all year, and were starting to shake that now. That doesnt mean that were not going to make mistakes. Theyre playing now with enthusiasm, because I think they are a lot more sure of what theyre doing out there.

(On RB Arlen Harris)
    Hes a terrific runner. Hes hard to knock off his feet. Hes real patient, and his running reads are really outstanding. Hes a much better player than he was a year ago. Last year, he hadnt worked for two years basically, and he wasnt sure he was going to make the team. Obviously he more than made the team, but he played well last year. Now with a full offseason, physically hes so much further along, and he has a good grasp of what were doing.

(On him practicing at fullback during training camp)
    We were just trying to figure out a way to get him on the field. That was the whole idea about being a fullback. We just felt like he was too good of a player to be standing next to me on the sideline during the game. Once we realized that he had ascended from where he was a year ago with his running skills, we knew we had to get him in the game as a runner. Hell run very well (on Sunday). If we do our job up front, Im not worried about Arlen at all.

(On who is going to be the backup quarterback this Sunday)
    I think initially we will go into the game with Jeff (Smoker) because he knows what is going out. I stuck him in practice yesterday in the blitz period, and I was very pleased with how well he responded. He did a great job. Hes...
    -12-11-2004, 07:14 AM
  • RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, October 22, 2004

(Injury Update)
    It looks like Travis Fisher will practice this week. Well get him into the mix. Jimmy Kennedy will practice to some extent. Well see how he is out there on the field. He has conditioned and ran real well over the past week or two. Well give him some individual drills to see where he is, and measure his progress by how sore he is tomorrow. Other than that, we are in pretty good shape. Jeff Wilkins is nursing a sore ankle from an ankle sprain. We wont know for a few days what we will do. Itll come down to the wire on Sunday to see how he is. Tyoka still remains questionable with that hamstring. Hes not quite there yet, so we have a couple of days to see (where he is). We are starting to get people back , which is always a good thing.

(On Miami)
    This is a short week and we head to Miami. This defense, a week ago, was the number one rated defense in the National Football League, and now they are two or four. But whatever it is, they are very substantial on defense, like they always are. Offensively, they have struggled somewhat. They have a lot of injuries, but they have moved the ball well enough to score points and win.

(On the difficulties of finding a kicker at this point of the season)
    I think its all relative to what he has been doing. When we worked (Jeff Chandler) out, he was fine. Im just going to make the assumption that he is ready to go if we need him.

(On getting Jimmy Kennedy and Travis Fisher back)
    We were starting to wear down on the defensive line, with Tyoka out, and particularly on the inside having Jimmy (Kennedy) back, I mean that is a big man. If he can pick up where he left off, so to speak, which will be hard to do. I dont know when he will be back, completely, but Im really excited about his attitude and his approach to getting back here as fast as he can. In terms of (Travis) Fisher, he was playing so well when he broke his arm, that we feel he is a top-flight corner. And it looks like he should be ready to go, which will help us tremendously in the secondary.

(On Travis Fishers play before he was injured)
    When he broke his arm in that preseason game against Kansas City, he was playing as well as hes ever played. To have three corners like we have healthy, thats quite an advantage. Most teams have two really outstanding corners, and with him, we feel like we have three substantial starters and were excited about that.

(On the Dolphins)
    A few years ago we were sitting in here at 0-5. The Oakland Raiders came in here, and they were the best team in the National Football League at the time. They led the league in both offense and defense, they led the league in both categories. We played them and we beat them handily. You just dont know. There are no breathers in this league. It just doesnt exist. This will be...
    -10-23-2004, 01:53 AM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Thursday, September 30, 2004

(Injury update)
    Chris Dishman is questionable. When they did the MRI here the other day, there was no damage to the capsule, fortunately, or to the muscle, or ligaments. It was just a strained capsule. We should be able to get him back in short order. Just how soon, I dont know. How much he can do this week will probably be limited, well just have to get a feel for that. Arlen Harris, who did play the rest of the game on a strained hamstring, is also listed as questionable, and we will just have to see where he is. I would expect we would have him in some capacity, but well just have to see. Then Tony Newson, with the ankle sprain, what they call a grade two, is questionable, and probably, we wont have him. We do get DeJuan Groce back. We do get Trev Faulk back. These two guys have looked real good here in the last few days, and Trev now is almost 100 percent with that hamstring (injury). And DeJuan, with that knee (injury), looks pretty good and should practice today. That helps us a great deal on defense with another linebacker and another corner.

(On preparing for San Francisco)
    San Francisco week, as you all know, is a special week for us. Its a divisional game that has been our long-standing rivalry. We are excited about it. Defensively, they have done a good job over the years. They have really proven their speed defensively, probably over the last four or five years. Bryant Young, right now, is playing the best football that I have ever seen him play. He is absolutely outstanding. Obviously, Julian Peterson, Derek Smith, and (Jeff) Ulbrich, the linebacking crew is as good as you will find in football. I think they are outstanding. They have real good speed on defense, and they do a good job of matching up. Offensively, I would expect (Tim) Rattay to start at quarterback. Everything we hear, anyway, sounds like he will start. Kevan Barlow, as we all know, can be a very explosive and physical runner. He is a threat to go the distance at anytime. We have seen him do it. It doesnt get any better than this. An old time rival, early in the season, at San Francisco, and its a Sunday night game. Were excited about it.

(On where S Aeneas Williams will be playing)
    Aeneas will be going back to safety, with DeJuan Groce back at corner. Aeneas spent so much time getting himself ready to play safety, and has played so well in terms of his keys, breaks on the ball, lining guys up, making calls, and then to move out to corner is very disruptive. Its a totally different world out there. Thats a hard thing to ask somebody to do, but we were at a bind at that point. Going back to safety, Im sure hes relieved. I havent talked to him about it, but Im sure hes excited. He had a lot of pass break-ups on plays where you didnt expect a free safety to make a play, early in the year.

(On if San Franciscos...
    -09-30-2004, 11:58 AM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, October 1, 2004

(On DT Jimmy Kennedy)
    Hes fine, hes been completely cleared. Which means hes about two weeks away. Hes going to start running next week, but hes a long way away from being in football shape. Hes two weeks probably from having contact, a little press and drive off that thing. Its healed very quickly, and its further along than youd anticipate. Thats real good news for us, and were going to have him back a little bit earlier then we anticipated.

(On Kennedy improving the depth)
    Who knows what hell bring inside. When he got injured he was just beginning to learn how to play inside and do the things we want him to do. Hes a good size, physical guy, and hes really improved his strength remarkably. So who knows what hell do, its up to him. He has the opportunity now, within the next few weeks, to really start working to get back.

(On if LB Robert Thomas practiced today)
    Were trying to take it easy on that bad ankle. Its a minor ankle, its a lower ankle sprain. If you do too much on it, it will be puffy and swollen most of the week. Well let him get a lot of reps on Friday. Trev Faulk came back and he needed to work. So that combined with the fact that Trev needed to work, gives us an opportunity to sit him down for a little bit. We also had a chance to get (Brandon) Chillar some work inside. As the season goes on, and the linebacking crew, if those guys get nicked, those guys have all got to be kind of interchangeable. Having Trev back is a big issue. Hes an inside guy, that has practiced here all year, and to have him back obviously helps us.

(On CB Travis Fisher)
    They did a scan on him, and theyre very pleased. Hes probably about two weeks away or so. They are just concerned about the strength, the bulk of the muscle and the forearm, so he doesnt re-fracture it. Its healed very nicely, so hes pretty much on schedule. Hes out here doing everything, moving around and back peddling, doing all the things you have to do to stay in shape. They wont completely release him for contact until they test it to make sure its ready to go, and he has strength.

(On ***** Head Coach Dennis Erickson saying hes up till three in the morning with the Rams shifting and motions)
    Well we do a little bit of it. Were getting better. The thing Im most pleased with is the offensive line. I thought the last game they played exceptionally well. Theyre gelling, and everything is kind of falling into place again, and Im very pleased with their progress. Its gone from the biggest question mark and worry in preseason, to being one of our more solid attributes of this team right now.

(On T Grant Williams play versus vs. New Orleans)
    One of the plays wasnt his fault. It was a screwed up route downfield, and Marc (Bulger) pulled the...
    -10-02-2004, 05:49 AM
  • RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz on th mike
    by RamWraith
    Tuesday, August 24, 2004

(Opening comments on injuries)
    CB Travis Fisher, obviously, (will get) surgery, with a plate in the bone. No one completely knows when we will be getting him back. We could be very optimistic and say eight to 10 weeks, or you can be pessimistic and say three to four months. Nobody really knows, so there is no sense in putting a time on it. When hes back, hes back. Its very unfortunate. He was having a heck of a game. We were very excited about his play. He had about 15 plays. It was just a freak accident. QB Marc Bulger injured his knee in the first series. Hes getting an MRI as we speak. LB Tommy Polley has a shoulder injury, a rotator cuff. And then DT Tyoka Jackson had an injury to his shoulder. Everyone else came out clean, so the significant one is losing Travis. Hes a terrific corner and it will be hard to replace him. It just gives someone else an opportunity, like CB DeJuan Groce or CB Kevin Garrett, to step in there and take charge. Thats what they are here for. They get paid for this opportunity. They need to make the most of it, and Im sure they will.

(On positives seen during the game)
    A couple of good things, DT Brian Howard and Tyoka (Jackson) were terrific in that game. All three linebackers, (Brandon) Chillar, Pisa (Tinoisamoa), and Robert Thomas, I thought played very well. I think that RB Marshall (Faulk) and Steven Jackson play exceptionally well. I was very excited watching the tape. Marshalls burst and his speed. Obviously we have some things going for us on the offensive line. We had T Grant (Williams) trying to play for us on a bad wheel, and some other things that you guys well know. So we didnt want to leave (Faulk) in there too long. But he did get 13 snaps in there. He had a chance to carry the ball, catch a pass, then get him out of the game. Steven, I thought, really picked it up. I was very pleased with his effort. He ran hard and he was very impressive with his change of direction. Some of the jump cuts that only smaller backs seem capable of doing, he demonstrated a couple of those during the game. He lowered his shoulder and ran through a couple of tacklers. I was very excited and pleased with how he ran the ball and just his skills. He did make some mental errors that did cost us on key third downs, and of course that needs to get cleaned up. The offensive line, (G Adam) Timmerman has a shoulder (injury), and probably wont practice this week and well see how he is for the game. We have some problems with the offensive line that will not get resolved in the next day or two. Its going to take some time. Tommy (Ntten) needs to come back. We need to get G Chris Dishman in shape. He did play much better than I thought he would at this point, but we still have a ways to go on the offensive line. On a more positive note, G Scott Tercero continued to play terrific. He was outstanding again. So...
    -08-25-2004, 05:43 AM
Working...
X