Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one thing about Jackson

Not sure if it just me....

But I get kind of nervous the way he carries the ball. I know he is not noted as a fumbler, but there is something with the way he holds it with one hand. Maybe it just goes back to his very first run from scrimmage...I don't know, maybe I am paranoid.

Re: one thing about Jackson

That could be a bit of a concern, but I recall reading somewhere that he has extremely large hands, which may give him the ability to do that without fumbling too much.

Comment

I agree jason. He has fumbled a couple of times this year, including the non fumble in the green bay game and i always remember the terrible fumble against the saints. We have been very, very spoiled by faulk over the years who almost never caughs it up.

general counsel

Comment

His carrying style is similar to Edgerrin James. Check it out the next Indy game you happen to watch. James has large hands as well and carries it with more forearm than most. Same for Jackson. If he, like James, can learn to maintain control of this style while taking the big hits, fumbling shouldn't be an issue.

P.S. this always made me laugh when all the "experts" (ie. Salisbury and Co.) wanted to compare Jackson to Ricky Williams. Williams has tiny hands and would fumble every carry if he didn't learn to bring the ball in tighter to his body. Jackson doesn't have to do that. Complete opposites in carrying style.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I must admit I sometimes have to hold my breath when Jackson is hitting a hole or being tackled. 1 lost fumble can negate a lot of good runs. If he has a problem with holding onto the ball, it better get fixed now. Once you're labeled a fumbler, opposing defenders go for blood in trying to exploit that weakness. The Rams are performing on a razor thin margin, the last thing we can afford is another area of vulnerability.

Comment

But I get kind of nervous the way he carries the ball. I know he is not noted as a fumbler, but there is something with the way he holds it with one hand. Maybe it just goes back to his very first run from scrimmage...I don't know, maybe I am paranoid.
            Why don't you just go root for some other team, you're obviously not a Rams fan. How can you criticize Jackson like that? The Rams won didn't they? All you haters want to do is just nitpick every little thing. Lamar Gordon isn't here anymore, quit living in the past. Jackson is the running back now, just deal with it. Why can't you focus on his good points and just be happy for him. Support who's on the Rams right now.

Man, you guys just burn me up. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Comment

Am I the only one that has the word "bipolar" come to mind for some reason? :upset:
              Last edited by viper; -12-06-2004, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I think we're going to have to change his name to MOCKlerman.

Comment

Originally posted by viper3
                  Am I the only one that the word "bipolar" comes to mind for some reason?
                  In Mok's defense.....he's taken alot of heat, and sometimes alot of unwarranted criticism for some of his views simply because they went against "popular" opinion.

I've been reading his posts for a long time and, trust me, there is nothing "bipolar" about him.
                  Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Hugs and kisses, Yo. I'm so pleased when somebody "get's it".

Comment

Mok just likes to get a rise out of people. In time you just learn to love it ;-)

P.S.--I got "it" a long time ago, just not feeding into "it"

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith
                        P.S.--I got "it" a long time ago, just not feeding into "it"
                        A strategy I'd like to learn to adopt.

Comment

Isn't he ironic... don't you think?

Comment

...AlanisRam?

Comment

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• psycho9985
                                Which Jackson will show up
                                by psycho9985
                                I'm not on the stephan Jackson band wagon,sure the guy gets yardage,but I'm not seeing it when the chips are down.I dont like the way he hops and skips around trying to find a hole,why cant the guy just run the play called.
                                I know our offensive line is in not so great shape right now,but I hope the coaches are talking to him.He needs to play smash mouth football.Jackson is big enough and strong enough to be a fullback and I wish he'd run with power at the line of scrimmage.Marshall faulk has the speed and moves to skip around and blast through a hole in the line,but Jackson doesnt.
                                -09-23-2006, 12:44 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Jackson Eager for New Beginning
                                by RamWraith
                                Wednesday, March 29, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

Steven Jackson thought 2005 was going to be his breakout season. It was his first year as a starter and things were supposed to be different from his rookie year.

Jackson expected plenty of carries, yards and touchdowns and he expected the Rams to be a Super Bowl contender. And many people expected the same thing.

After a tumultuous season in which the team finished 6-10 and Jackson was essentially an afterthought in the offense, Jackson is ready for a fresh start.

“I am approaching it with a focus of saying this is me getting a new beginning,” Jackson said Wednesday. “I feel like I have a chance to start over my career.”

Granted, Jackson acknowledges that he isn’t exactly a grizzled veteran with just two years of experience. But Jackson also is looking to be in on the ground floor of a new direction in the organization.

By now, everyone knows and remembers the troubling times Jackson went through last season. With coach Mike Martz on the shelf for most of the season because of a bacterial infection of the heart valve, Jackson never got much of a chance to take off.

Even when Martz was calling the plays, Jackson was probably even less of an option. Going as far back as the 2004 season, at Arizona when Jackson was deemed healthy, but not on the field for most of the game, Jackson believes that he and Martz simply did not mix.

“You don’t want to be in the doghouse of the head coach,” Jackson said. “No matter what you say about him, no matter how you feel about him, you don’t want…this is the guy that is calling the plays. You don’t want to be in the doghouse of a guy like Coach Martz. At the same time, you have to address him as a professional and ask him if it is a problem can we sever it and get on with it. At times, I thought we did sit down, discuss what the problem was and move on. At times, in the heat of the battle of the games, it just seemed like I wasn’t getting my touches.”

Jackson certainly had moments where he flashed his enormous potential a season ago. In week eight against Jacksonville with most of the Rams’ top skill players out, Jackson had his best game. He rushed for 179 yards on 25 carries with a game-winning touchdown catch in the closing minutes.

Instead of that becoming a stepping stone, Jackson’s touches fluctuated greatly the rest of the season. During the Dec. 4 game against Washington, Jackson received just 11 carries for 24 yards.

It became somewhat of a breaking point for Jackson, as he let his feeling become known during his weekly meeting with the media. When asked if he had spoken with the coaching staff about his lack of touches, Jackson said “No, I haven’t but you can. Give me the ball.”

Jackson battled a variety of minor injuries for the rest of the season and...
                                -03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Learning To Lead: The Evolution Of Steven Jackson
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Learning to Lead: The Evolution of Steven Jackson
                                Wednesday, October 7, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

“Our response to an offense determines our future.” – Author John Bevere, “The Bait of Satan.”

Right there in black and white for his eyes to see, Steven Jackson constantly goes back to this book. It’s one of his favorites though if you ask him to name them it might take a while because he’s constantly diving into a new one.

On the surface, passages like the one above might seem simple. Then again, on the surface, a person might be viewed the same way.

What you don’t know is how complicated something or someone can be when you dig a littler deeper. In the case of Steven Jackson, a little closer look can reveal something you never would have guessed or even attempted to try.

A BORN LEADER

At the conclusion of nearly every Rams practice, a few players always lag behind the group on the long walk back to the locker room. Some stay behind and catch passes, others work on footwork. They all do it by choice but some undoubtedly do it because that’s what Jackson does.

Jackson is the one who will quickly peel off his pads and run extra gassers, not because he’s out of shape but because it sets the right example of what it takes to be successful.

The Rams have the fourth-youngest team in the NFL with an average age of right around 26. Coincidentally, Jackson is the same age. But because he entered the league when he was only 20, Jackson’s ascent to a leadership role has happened quicker than most.

As he’s grown and developed as a player, he’s seen players come and go and just now, in 2009, has he taken it upon himself to become the leader of this young group.

“I have seen nothing but great things,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “His greatness in that regard, in the leadership regard is shining right now when it’s not the best of times and the results haven’t been what we want. I’m not going to share with you one other thing but there was something he did that meant the world to me and I appreciated him and how he’s gone about things right now.”

Growing up in Las Vegas, Jackson’s lessons in leadership began at an early age. His father, Steve, practically majored in the subject as a Marine veteran in the Vietnam War.

That meant plenty of “yes, sir” and “no, sir” in the Jackson household but it also began a cultivation process in the planting of those seeds of leadership.

Jackson learned a lot of the details from his father, things like always being on time, keeping your word and being dressed presentably for every occasion. Those little things that can determine one’s character.

“You have to go through a maturation of becoming a leader,” Jackson said. “Everyone doesn’t have leadership qualities but those...
                                -10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
                              • Rambos
                                Jackson Ready to Carry Load
                                by Rambos
                                Jackson Ready to Carry Load
                                Thursday, September 8, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

There is little doubt about the lasting impression Steven Jackson left on the ***** during his rookie season.

And that’s not even counting his 119-yard breakout performance in the second meeting with San Francisco.

In case any of those ***** forget this week what Jackson is capable of, they can turn to cornerback turned safety Mike Rumph and ask him what he remembers about his first meeting with Jackson.

"I remember thinking at the time, 'Why am I doing this?'” Rumph told the Associated Press. “But I stuck out my arm to try to trip him. When I was running off the field, I didn't even want to look at it; because I knew it was (broken) pretty bad."

This would be Rumph’s attempt at arm tackling the running back known around Rams Park as “Train.” As Jackson burst up the middle with the ball, Rumph dived at him, sticking his arm directly in the path of Jackson’s churning legs. In other words, Rumph’s arm was on the tracks as the train came through.

The result was a broken arm and a spot on the injured list for the rest of the season for Rumph. Jackson didn’t recall the play, but said he felt bad about what happened to Rumph.

“I don’t remember,” Jackson said. “But I remember it being brought up a lot, especially this week. Like I told the San Francisco media, you never go out and try to hurt anyone. We all understand this is our livelihood and guys do want to play and the biggest thing for me is just to protect myself at all times. What happened to Mike was unfortunate but that’s the game of football.”

Still, even Jackson was willing to admit that arm tackling him is probably not the best approach to bringing him down.

Rumph should get plenty of opportunities to tackle Jackson again Sunday when the Rams and ***** open the regular season at Monster Park. This time Jackson is the starting running back and will probably get more than his share of the work.

After a rookie season in which he shared time with Marshall Faulk, Jackson will start the season as the top guy this year. In his limited time last season, Jackson ran for 673 yards on 134 carries, an average of 5 yards per attempt.

Those numbers would have been satisfying for many rookie backs, but not Jackson who is hoping that the normally pass-happy Rams offense will make a commitment to him.

The confident Jackson is not scared to let the coaches know when he isn’t getting the ball. So what happens if it’s halftime and Jackson hasn’t gotten the touches he would like to get?

“I wouldn’t wait ‘til halftime to say it,” Jackson said. “I think a lot of people know how I feel about running the ball. I also understand when you have the likes of Torry and Isaac and Kevin and Mac we do want to...
                                -09-08-2005, 03:12 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Jackson Carries Rams Into the Light ..
                                by MauiRam
                                By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
                                Posted 2 hours ago

It is said that out of darkness will emerge light. How quickly that light emerges depends on whether you move with confidence or tiptoe through the shadows.

Steven Jackson has never tiptoed through anything in his life. And though it’s taken longer than he would have liked, the eighth-year running back is on the verge of delivering the Rams out of the darkness and into the light.

It’s a task that many would choose not to take on for enduring the pain that goes with it would be too much for just about anyone to bear.

Jackson has been called many things in his career but there’s one common nickname he’s been called that he never quite grasped until he took the time during the offseason to wrap his head around it.

“It’s funny I have been referred to as a beast for quite some time and I said, ‘You know, I am going to look it up. What does the word beast mean?’” Jackson said. “And to give you a quick synopsis of how I look at it and how I thought of it is ‘a mammal that bears the weight of something and transports it.’ I feel like I have been a beast because I bear the weight of some tough times around St. Louis and I have carried it from the days of glory to now hopefully to a new age and a new version of the days of glory. And I have been the particular, chosen one to feel like maybe he’s the one strong enough to bring us through the darkness back to a point where (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) and these younger guys will bring us back to glory.”

Bearing the weight of an entire franchise’s struggle is a burden Jackson has carried for all of his seven seasons in the NFL. On closer inspection, it’s clear that Jackson’s sacrifice has gone well beyond simply being a part of a losing team.

In fact, he’s one of the last of his kind in the NFL, a running back willing and capable of taking on a full load in a league that grown more specialized by the season.

The job of the single running back carrying the load is one thing; the job of the single player carrying the hopes of a franchise on his back is another. Jackson has done both.

It’s a job Jackson believes he was chosen for, a job he was selected for by powers greater than a general manager or head coach.

“I think it’s a divine job not for the organization but for me, myself because I never knew some of the strong characteristics and the things that I believe in were within me until I had to go through some tough times,” Jackson said.

A DYING BREED

With each passing NFL season, the league evolves and changes in ways that consistently alter the way players and positions are perceived.

Today, in 2011, the NFL is almost universally viewed as a quarterback’s league, a passing league in which running backs can be found and deployed in a variety of ways and you can...
                                -09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
                              Working...
                              X