Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Player Profile: Grant Williams

Grant Williams - OT
    Favorite Song: "I missed again" (Genesis)
    Favorite Album: "Turnstiles" (Billy Joel)
    Favorite Movie: "Falling Down"
    Dream Job: Matador
    Quote: "My father owned a bait shop, but I was never big on the whole block and tackle thing."

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
    Favorite Recent Ram Catch-Phrase
    by AvengerRam_old
    Which do you like?
    "Gotta go to work"
    26.09%
    "Greatest Show on Turf"
    26.09%
    "Bob N'Weave"
    17.39%
    "Fast and Furious"
    30.43%
    -10-15-2004, 09:44 PM
    Stating the Obvious, Grant Williams is a Menace!
    by Guest
    You had to know it was only a matter of time before grant williams got bulger injured. We may have dodged a bullet if indeed the reports of the injury being only a bruise are accurate, but this was bound to happen. Its a miracle that bulger has not been killed by now.

Williams is repeatedly beat every way imaginable. Speed rush, bull rush, Glendonn Rush, it doesnt seem to matter. As i have said for weeks, he is probably the best #3 tackle in the nfl, but with the deep patterns our offense runs, he is completely unworkable.

The irony of course is that the play that got bulger hurt was by no means the hardest or most awkward hit he has taken. Its simply the law of averages. The more likely you get hit and slammed to the turf with a 300 plus pound guy falling on you, the more likely you are to get hurt.

I thought the line protected very well today. The pressure came 99% over williams and sapamamliamula. Unfortunately, with tercero out for the year and sapamamliamula learing the position, williams is really the best option we have, which is a sorry situation and does not bode well for the continued health of our qb's whoever is in the game.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but the turley injury just devasted this team from both a personnel and cap perspective. It has totally changed our offense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    -12-05-2004, 01:43 PM
  • RamWraith
    A homecoming brews for Williams
    by RamWraith
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    10/06/2004

It was Seattle that gave Grant Williams his first cup of coffee in the NFL - and his first cup of Starbucks.

"That's fairly addictive," Williams said, speaking of the coffee brand, not the Seahawks. "That is where I got hooked on it. It tastes a little better there."

This season, Williams is getting a taste of what it's like to be a full-time starter for the first time in his nine NFL seasons. The closest he had come previously was the 1999 season in Seattle, when he took over in Week 2 and started 15 times for coach Mike Holmgren's first Seahawks squad.

Because of Kyle Turley's season-ending back injury, Williams has been the starter at right tackle from Game 1 for St. Louis. This far along in his career, it's obviously a pleasant development. In his two previous seasons with the Rams, Williams had only three starts - all in 2002 at left tackle when Orlando Pace was sidelined with a calf injury.

"It has been fun to be out there," Williams said. "It's nice to be more sore on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It has been rewarding, but at the same time, I'm a team guy and if you can't win the games, it's all for naught anyway. We're 2-0 in the division and going into a big game. This is a week that means a lot."

Williams spent his first four seasons with Seattle, after signing with the club as an undrafted rookie out of Louisiana Tech in 1996. The Seahawks liked his size (6-7, 300 pounds), and thought he had some potential. But when he became eligible for free agency following the '99 season, retaining him wasn't a high priority for the Seahawks.

"It was a great group of guys," Williams said. "Good character. It seemed like we were always around .500. And then the first year when Holmgren got there, we won the division and made the playoffs. Which was a huge deal for Seattle - it was the first time they'd done that in forever. So it was a good time."

Williams signed a two-year, $1.9 million contract with New England following the 1999 season. He spent two seasons with the Patriots, earning a Super Bowl ring for their victory over the Rams, then was traded to St. Louis in August 2002.

Williams missed the Rams' 2002 game in Seattle because of an ankle and leg injury. He played only on special teams there last season in a 24-23 Rams loss. So Sunday's game marks Williams' first game in Seattle as a starter since that '99 season.

"It was a good four years there," Williams said. "A couple of 'O-linemen' are still there. A couple guys on defense are still there. I still know a lot of the upstairs guys. So it does mean a lot."

It will mean a lot more for the Rams if Williams can keep Seattle defensive end Chike Okeafor away from Marc Bulger and the Rams'...
    -10-07-2004, 05:44 AM
    If you could pick.......
    by Guest
    One defensive player from any team in the NFL, who would it be... and why? I would pick....Dre Bly, because he is my favorite former ram DB besides aeneas Williams. and he was our best CB from 2000-2002, no disrespect to Aeneas, but dre was Awesome!!
    -05-02-2007, 07:20 PM
  • .ramfan.
    Williams says Barron was the toughest player he faced in college...
    by .ramfan.
    Williams: Taking the pop quiz

(Defensive end Mario Williams is considered one of the top prospects in the 2006 NFL Draft. As a junior at North Carolina State, Williams helped lead the Wolfpack to a 7-5 record and a shutout bowl victory over South Florida. Williams' 14 sacks and 24 tackles for loss propelled N.C. State to a No. 8 national ranking in total defense. NFL.com brings you updates from Williams as he approaches the draft.)

(April 7, 2006) -- This special entry is Mario Williams' pop quiz. While it's not the Wonderlic exam, it's certainly a good way to find out more Williams.

Full name and position: Mario Jerrell Williams, defensive end
    Date and location of birth: Jan. 31, 1985, Richland, N.C.
    College and major: North Carolina State, Sports Management
    1. What is the one thing you will miss most about college?

Williams: My teammates.

2. What was your favorite night-before-the-game meal?

Williams: Rice and butter. I eat pieces of chicken and stuff, but I eat a lot of rice and butter.

After being an RB in high school, Mario Williams wouldn't mind a return to the position.
    3. Who was the toughest player you faced in college?

Williams: (Former Florida State OT) Alex Barron.

4. What other position do you wish you could play?

Williams: Probably running back. That's because you can score touchdowns.

5. Who were your idols as a child?

Williams: Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Lawrence Taylor.

6. Whose throwback jersey do you most want (or already have) in your closet?

Williams: I don't wear jerseys at this point because they're too expensive for me. But probably Lawrence Taylor.

7. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Williams: Clean my car. I have a big S-250 I call "Big Country."

8. Finish this sentence: The first thing I will buy after signing an NFL contract will be

Williams: A house in the city I'm going to, but I will have a house in North Carolina eventually as well.

9. Name the most important thing you learned in college?

Williams: Discipline. That sums it up basically.

10. Pick one: Fame or fortune.

Williams: Fame, because I believe fame will always be there. Like, say, Lawrence Taylor. Everyone will remember him. But with fortune, you can always run out of money. With fame your name will be in everyone's head for a long time.

11. Do you have any superstitions?

Williams: I still think about splitting the pole, where I would walk on one side of the pole and someone would go on the other side. That's the only thing I really think about.

12. Let's say you got to host NFL...
    -04-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Working...
X