2005 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Draft

assuming the standings continue as they are and the Rams win the division, I don't foresee them winning any playoff games with that defense and the o-line ( but I hope I'm wrong ).

but, let's assume they lose in the wildcard round ( which they would be playing in due to record ).

that would give them the 22nd pick in the 2005 draft. who do you think the Rams will pick, or who would you like to see them draft? ( and don't pick someone who is likely not going to be around when the Rams pick ).

Re: 2005 Draft

At this point, probably Jammal Brown. But it's hard to say until we know what juniors will be declaring.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
      At this point, probably Jammal Brown. But it's hard to say until we know what juniors will be declaring.
      I'm hoping Brown is the pick. If he's not there (which is a good possibility), I say we go with Eric Winston (if he comes out) or Wes Britt.

In the second round, I'd love to see us go with Barrett Ruud or Lance Mitchell for a little more size at MLB. I'd prefer Ahmad Brooks out of Virginia, but I think he'll be gone by the time we pick in the second.

With the Miami pick in the 3rd round, let's take a CB like Bryant McFadden or Derrick Johnson.

With our pick in the 3rd, how about either a big OLB like D'Qwell Jackson, Jonathen Pollard or Demarcus Ware OR a FS like Ernest Shazor.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

1st Round: Jammal Brown - OT (Oklahoma)
        2nd Round: Chad Greenway - OLB (Iowa)
        3rd Round: Orien Harris - DT (Miami)
        3rd Round: James Butler - S (Georgia Tech)
        4th Round: Garrett Cross - TE (California)
        5th Round: Jonathan Clinkscale - G (Wisconsin)
        6th Round: Matt Payne - P (BYU)
        7th Round: Joe Division-1AA (Doesn't Matter)

Sorry, I get carried away with draft talk.

Comment

Originally posted by ZigZagRam
          1st Round: Jammal Brown - OT (Oklahoma)
          2nd Round: Chad Greenway - OLB (Iowa)
          3rd Round: Orien Harris - DT (Miami)
          4th Round: Garrett Cross - TE (California)
          5th Round: Jonathan Clinkscale - G (Wisconsin)
          6th Round: Matt Payne - P (BYU)
          7th Round: Joe Division-1AA (Doesn't Matter)

I think Greenway in the 2nd might be a reach, and Harris & Clinkscale will both be gone. But hey, if it turns out like you got it, I'd call it a successful draft. Hopefully, Martz gives you a call before next April, ZZR.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
            I'm hoping Brown is the pick. If he's not there (which is a good possibility), I say we go with Eric Winston (if he comes out) or Wes Britt.
            If guys like D'Brickashaw Ferguson of Virginia and Jon Scott of Texas come out early, then I doubt we'll have any problem securing a stud tackle in the first round. The real question is whether or not our front office would do it. They haven't devoted a day one pick to an offensive lineman since Pace.

Comment

He's the best free safety prospect this season, and probably the best safety prospect behind Nicholson - no way he lasts into the late third round, IMO.

Comment

How do you guys get this information before the college season is even finished? ( And I thought I was a "draftnik".)

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

If the Mike Martz era has taught me anything, it's never guess who or what the Rams will draft because they won't draft what everyone knows they need.

Comment

Originally posted by RAMarkable

How do you guys get this information before the college season is even finished? ( And I thought I was a "draftnik".)

WHAT SAY YE?
                    Don't be sorry! I love the pre-draft coverage almost as much as the regular season. Looking at incoming young talent and trying to strategize what your team could get to improve their team is quite appealing, methinks.

Anyways, I get a lot of my info from various web pages. The Sporting News has a good but not free section dedicated to draft coverage. I always thought DraftCrazy.com had some good info, and I know some others have said that NFLDraftBlitz.com has been good, but some of it has turned to pay as well.

Originally posted by DJRamFan
                    If the Mike Martz era has taught me anything, it's never guess who or what the Rams will draft because they won't draft what everyone knows they need.
                    True. Who would have predicted, besides Avenger, that the Rams were going to take a RB in the first round? Who saw the Jimmy Kennedy selection? Sometimes no matter how much you plan, when talent falls, teams take a risk with it. Who knows, in a season or two, if Lewis or Pickett leave in free agency and Kennedy steps up to be a playmaker on the interior of the line, we might look back at that pick and say, "Wow, that was really questionable at the time but it sure paid off." Then again, we could look at it and just as likely say, "No one understood that pick then, and now the Rams look like idiots for making it." Only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
                      Who would have predicted, besides Avenger, that the Rams were going to take a RB in the first round? Who saw the Jimmy Kennedy selection?
                      I predicted they would pick a RB or a TE in the first round this year, but I didn't catch the Jimmy Kennedy pick at all. I was all about trying to get Trufant that year. A good corner would be nice to have.

I don't watch college ball much so my draft knowledge is limited to whatever research I feel inclined to do. I can't believe you guys are already looking ahead to the draft.
                      sigpic

Comment

They better draft starting linemen on bothsides of the ball

Comment

Can you imagine the uproar if they spend an early draftpick on a defensive lineman, though?

We can all make our predictions, but it's going to be tough to really make it accurate until we have an idea of who's going to test the market a month before the draft. If we can secure a good tackle in free agency, we can spend our first rounder on a linebacker or cornerback. Who knows, with the potential depth of this year's OT class, we might be able to do that anyways.

Comment

He's the best free safety prospect this season, and probably the best safety prospect behind Nicholson - no way he lasts into the late third round, IMO.
                            There are several safety prospects that I'd list ahead of him. The only safety I see going in the first round is Thomas Davis. Brodney Pool, Ernest Shazor, Darnell Bing and Donte Nicholson could go in the 2nd round. While it might be a tad bit far fetched for him to last to the 20+ picks, it's not impossible.

Also, Donte Nicholson is a strong safety. Thomas Davis, Brodney Pool, Josh Bullocks, and Oshiomogo Atogwe are all free safeties that could be taken above James Butler.

If Butler wasn't available, then Josh Bullocks could be available in the late 3rd round and good be a big playmaker on this defense.

Comment

There are several safety prospects that I'd list ahead of him.
                              At this point, I'm looking at seniors. Have any of the junior prospects you listed made it official that they'll be available in April? Last I heard, Davis was still on the fence. And I disagree about taking Oshiomogo Atogwe over Butler. Out of the senior class, I rate Butler as the highest free safety prospect. But again, when you start throwing potential underclassmen in there, then it's different.

Comment