Chuck Cecil: Too Vicious for the NFL? [SI, 1993]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Cecil: Too Vicious for the NFL? [SI, 1993]

Thought this was a good offseason read about our secondary coach, especially in context of recent rule changes.

Headlong and Headstrong

Chuck Cecil's world is exploding. The Phoenix Cardinal free safety has closed on his target like an electron returning to a nucleus, and now he uncoils into Washington Redskin tight end Ron Middleton with a crash that is both terrifying and thrilling to behold. Middleton crumples around Cecil like a crash-test dummy around a telephone pole. His feet buckle and his helmet flies. The headgear will come to rest five yards from the site of impact, and when Middleton revives sufficiently to know where he is—RFK Stadium on Sept. 12—he will notice that all four snaps on his helmet chin strap are still in place; Cecil's blow knocked the helmet off the way carbonation blows a champagne cork out of a bottle.

But just now Middleton is on another planet. Flat on his back, knees up, eyes closed, he looks as though he has been nailed to the ground. Cecil stands over him, twitching with ecstasy. Later, sports-writers will say Cecil appeared to be imitating a boxing referee, counting Middleton out. Cecil doesn't think that's what he was doing, though he admits he doesn't remember much of what happened in the euphoric state he had entered. He does recall kicking Middleton's helmet when he saw it lying in front of him.

For the six-foot, 185-pound Heat Seeking Missile, as Cecil was dubbed during his All-America career at the University of Arizona, the blow approached perfection. For the NFL brass reviewing the collision on slow-motion replay later that week, the hit, and another on the same series, approached insanity. On Sept. 20, Bill Polian, the NFL's vice-president for football development, announced that Cecil was being fined $30,000, one of the largest nonsuspension fines ever imposed on a player, for "two acts of flagrant unnecessary roughness involving the use of his helmet." He is appealing the fine, but he has reportedly been warned that another such hit will result in suspension.

Polian's statement read, "Cecil speared running back Ricky Ervins and tight end Ron Middleton of the Redskins. On each play, Cecil used the top of his helmet to strike intended receivers in the upper body." No matter that the two plays occurred during a crucial fourth-quarter Washington drive in a game that Phoenix would win 17-10, for its first victory at RFK in 15 years. No matter that no penalty flags were thrown on either play. No matter that Ervins bounced up after his hit or that Middleton outweighs Cecil by 75 pounds. The league had spoken: Spearing is illegal: Cecil was a menace to others and to himself. Striking with the crown of the helmet is prohibited, noted Polian, because of the danger it poses to the players involved, "including the one doing the hitting." Told that Cecil didn't think he had used the crown of his helmet for impact, Polian said, "Well, he's totally wrong then." And the fine was the stiffest ever, he said, "in light of Cecil's prior conduct outside the playing rules."

Almost two weeks later Cecil is sitting at a table in Rick's Cafe in Tempe, not far from the Cardinals' training camp. He orders biscuits and craw, ham on the side—"Get the cholesterol level up," he says with a crooked grin—a meal that might stick to his skinny, unmuscled bones. As a high school freshman Cecil weighed less than 90 pounds; as a walk-on at Arizona he weighed 148. "Don't ever let a recruiter see you without a shirt on," Rey Hernandez, his defensive coach at Helix High in La Mesa, Calif., had told him. As it happened, UCLA recruiter Homer Smith did catch a glimspe of the bare-chested Cecil, and that was the end of his interest.

"Why me?" Cecil says now in his quiet, almost docile way. "They single me out for something being done leaguewide on a regular basis. They're saying what I do is dirty and cheap, but I've played this way forever. I signed a million-dollar contract because of it. People cheer when I make a big hit. I mean, that's what I do."

Support for Cecil has come from many sources, including some who were at the game. After watching Middleton's helmet roll to a stop, CBS commentator Randy Cross said, "This, I gotta tell you, is how a safety gets to the Pro Bowl." After the game Redskin coach Richie Petitbon said, "That's football, man. This game is not played in short pants." Said Dallas Cowboy coach Jimmy Johnson, "That's the kind of football I like to see."

Even Middleton doesn't think the hit on him was against the rules. "It was just great lick," he says. "That's the nature of the game. Guys dream of licks like that."

Maybe so. But Middleton's tongue was numb for several minutes after the blow, and when Cecil had hit Ervins moments earlier, it was Cecil who had fallen to the turf in agony, a nerve stinger shooting down his left arm. These days, in fact, he moves his neck with difficulty, even off the field. Cecil says that his head was up on both hits, that he was tackling with his face mask and the front area of his helmet, nose on numbers, trying to drive his body through his opponent, the way coaches, fans and teammates like it. If he doesn't tackle like that, he says, he has little to offer on the playing field.

"He's totally wrong," Polian says of Cecil's insistence that the hits were legal. "His head was down. The sole issue is where his head is at contact. What we say is, 'See what you hit.' " Polian knows about improper head placement on tackles; as a safety for New York University in the mid-'60s, he twice knocked himself out by hitting with the crown of his helmet. Watching Cecil's tackles in slow motion, Polian was overwhelmed by visions of Darryl Stingley, Mike Utley and Dennis Byrd, all victims of spinalcord injuries. If not reined in, Polian concluded, Chuck Cecil would paralyze someone—an opponent or himself. "Are we saving him from himself?" Polian asks. "Perhaps."

And there was that "prior conduct" thing. In 1988, his rookie season with the Green Bay Packers, Cecil walloped New England Patriot receiver Stanley Morgan. "Morgan was on the ground for five minutes, inert," recalls Packer publicist Lee Remmel. "A lot of us were very concerned." But there was no penalty called and no fine from the league. Last year, in the Packers' season finale against the Minnesota Vikings, Cecil dished out two hits, against wide receivers Jake Reed and Joe Johnson, that were deemed flagrant, and he was fined $3,500 for each by the league office. "The one on me was definitely a cheap shot," says Reed. "It was at the end of the game, the ball was way overthrown, uncatchable. I was slowing down, and he hit me helmet first under the chin." Then in the Cardinals' second preseason game this year, against the Chicago Bears, Cecil crushed wideout Anthony Morgan on a crossing pattern, hitting the stretched-out receiver under the chin with his helmet and knocking him into the gray area. "It was a quick slant and the ball was high," recalls Morgan. "I don't remember anything else until the next day." Morgan spent four days with a concussion. It's no wonder that the Bears now call the NFL-issued locker-room sign, warning players against blocking or tackling with the top of the helmet, the Chuck Cecil poster.

"With repeat offenders you step up the fine to get them to stop," says NFL director of communications Greg Aiello. "It's a deterrent. The important message is to kids, so they don't see these things and practice unsafe tackling techniques."

Funny thing is, young people love Cecil. In Green Bay a group called the Rock 'n' Roll Cecil Club used to come to Lambeau Field wearing Cecil's jersey number, 26, and sporting fake blood on their noses in homage to the gore that often streamed from Cecil's battered beak.

Says Hernandez, Cecil's old coach, "He's a hero to every small, slow kid in the secondary. Kids are always saying to me, 'God, he hits hard!' "

But Cecil's skills are not easily duplicated. He may be small and slow (a 4.7 40 these days), but he has keen football intelligence, great anticipation, outstanding hand-eye coordination and the ability to raise himself to a transcendent state of competitiveness during games. Even his father, a high school football coach in Avenal, Calif., is at a loss to explain it. "I never coached him," says Tom Cecil. "I had to talk to him in fourth and fifth grade and explain to him that games were not as important to other kids as to him. He's just so competitive at anything he has an interest in." Including academics: In high school Chuck had all A's except for one B, and he graduated from Arizona with a 3.3 GPA and a degree in finance.

Chuck's parents have been divorced since he was a young boy. His mother, Evelyn Aardema, recalls that Chuck, the second oldest of three boys and a girl, was "the most pleasant, honest, straightforward person you'd ever want to meet." She also remembers that she always told him he was too little to play football. Tom agreed. Chuck was not allowed to play Pop Warner ball, and it wasn't until the family moved from central California to the San Diego area during Chuck's junior year in high school that the boy was turned loose on a football field.

"He kept asking me when we'd have hitting drills," recalls Hernandez. "Bugging me all the time. Finally we had the drill, and he took out three players, injured them. Against Monte Vista he took out their two best receivers, and there went their passing attack."

The story was the same in college. Recruited mostly by Ivy League schools and the military academics, Cecil made the squad at Arizona by dominating in drills. "They had to yell at me a lot," he says. At Arizona he had 21 interceptions, running one of them back for a 100-yard touchdown. In his sophomore season he played with a left thumb so badly broken that a doctor later said it looked as though it had been "smashed with a hammer."

At Green Bay, where he was a fourth-round pick, it was more of the same. In his rookie season, after Cecil knocked teammate Scott Bolton out of action on a drill, the coach at the time, Lindy Infante, assembled the team and said, "The next man who hits somebody and makes him miss practice will get the maximum fine of $1,500! Did you hear that, Chuck?"

Last season Cecil's kamikaze style was rewarded when he was voted a starter in the Pro Bowl. He played every game, says Packer coach Mike Holmgren, in a "controlled rage." After a narrow win over the Cincinnati Bengals, Cecil let his inner fire burn out of control, raising a ruckus at a Green Bay restaurant and somehow getting his nose bloodied. Arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, Cecil was described in the police report as being "very intoxicated." He ranted that he was being arrested only because the policemen on the scene were Bengal fans. He exhaled blood onto the Plexiglas shield behind the front seat of the squad car taking him to the station, then used his nose to smear the blood across the partition, the report said.

Cecil, who became a free agent after last season and signed a $5.25 million, three-year contract with the Cardinals in April, described that incident in Green Bay as a "misunderstanding." His concern now is that football may be taken away from him. "Football has always been the foundation of my life," he said in Phoenix. "It's me. It's what I understand. Now officials are after me, teams may not want me, I may not have a job. I need football. Football gives my life meaning. I don't feel like I'm contributing to the planet unless I'm playing it."

Two days later, in a 26-20 loss to the Detroit Lions, Cecil seemed reserved, subdued. When he broke up a long pass to wideout Willie Green in the second quarter, he didn't detonate. After the game he and Green talked, as friends. "You know I could have knocked you out," Cecil said. "But it's not worth it."

In the locker room Green voiced his compassion for Cecil. "Fining him is like putting a guy in jail for stealing a Snickers bar," he said.

Lion linebacker Chris Spielman was more outraged. "Fining Chuck was terrible," he said angrily. "We all know the risk of this game. Hell, I lived it with my buddy Mike Utley. That's the way it is."

Back in Phoenix, alone in the darkened team auditorium, Cecil is watching a film of his hit on Middleton again and again. He sees himself make a break on the receiver before the ball has even been thrown. It is a move only a brilliant defender could make. It guarantees a critical third-down pass will not be caught. "It's very pure," he says quietly. "I'm not afraid to hurt myself. That's a great hit."

But is it great football? There is a deep scar across the crown of Cecil's helmet that looks like it was made with an axe. He says he has no idea how it got there. No doubt it is from a big collision, one of those meetings that Cecil says happen "much too fast to rationalize." He doesn't think the game should be slowed down on screens and analyzed, the way the league big shots are doing, just as he doesn't think he should be labeled a dirty player. He says there's nothing personal about any of this violence. "I don't see players," he says. "I see situations."

But the damage is real, involving real people. One of Cecil's big hits two years ago was laid on the skull of former Jet wideout Al Toon. The blow gave Toon a concussion. Toon is now retired, the victim of cumulative head trauma, some of it courtesy of the Heat Seeking Missile. Toon doesn't blame Cecil for the blow, though he does feel all contact in pro football should be made below the neck. "Chuck is only going to hurt himself," he says. "He's going to break his own neck."

Cecil brushes such warnings aside, focusing instead on the rapture of a devastating hit. "It's unbelievable," he says. "An orgasm. Euphoria. I don't know if you can put it into words. There is just this feeling of...power. For that split second of time you own that person. You are better. For just one moment, you know where you stand."

Perhaps no longer.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -05-25-2013, 06:51 AM.

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
    Good story ... and apparently the Rams are interested ...
    by MauiRam
    ESPN.com: Page 2

Friday, April 27, 2007
    Updated: May 1, 6:16 PM ET
    Glasper learns the hard lessons of football

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Alan Grant
    Special to Page 2

There's a difference between pain and injury. Pain is fleeting. Even in various degrees of discomfort, it's possible to function at a very high level of competency. Any athlete knows this. But injury is lasting. Injury has the power to rob us of our dreams. Injury makes us mortal.

Boston College safety Ryan Glasper, who went undrafted this weekend, knows pain. It's the kind of pain that accompanies many citizens of New Britain, Conn., or "Hard-Hittin' New Britain," as it's called. The city of 70,000, once a thriving factory town, is now known for its housing projects. As a kid, Glasper was innately rambunctious, engaging in activities like jumping off the second floor of a house onto a mattress. His mother, Brenda, suggested football was a great way to deal with his reckless sensibility. This proved a great solution. He was a natural at running into things.

The family had what he calls financial difficulties.

"I didn't really know it at the time," he says. "I was a happy kid. But looking back on it in retrospect, I can see we had it hard."

When it became evident Brenda could no longer provide a home, Glasper's Pop Warner football coach contacted Jude Kelly, the football coach at Southington (Conn.) High School. He and Glasper's mother determined that the best thing for the young man was a change of address and a school district that offered him better opportunity for growth.

Glasper moved into the Kelly residence and once classes began, so did the pain. There were only about five black kids in the school. His wardrobe was typical inner-city: Roca Wear, worn in a baggy style.

After playing through a hip injury as a senior, Glasper went undrafted.

"I wasn't wearing Abercrombie and Fitch," Glasper says. "I stood out, so they called me a thug."

In the first week, one white student called Glasper the n-word.

This led to a violent retort, the first of many. By the time that first semester ended, Glasper had been labeled a problem.

"Let's just say I was written up a few times," Glasper says.

He was something of a problem at home, too. Kelly was Catholic and attending mass was a regular habit for members of the Kelly household. But Glasper wanted no part of it, so he resisted the way any adolescent resists.

"I used to call him Pope Kelly because he went to church so much," Glasper says. "If communion started at 11:40, I would argue with him until 11:35."

But it takes just one...
    -05-02-2007, 11:17 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Porter Trades In Pom-Poms For Rams' Special Teams
    by r8rh8rmike
    Porter trades in pom-poms for Rams’ special teams

By Les Carpenter
    Yahoo! Sports

ST. LOUIS – Quinn Porter(notes) plays special teams for the St. Louis Rams. He is listed on the roster as a running back, but his primary task is to return kickoffs and play the “gunner” (first man down the field) when the Rams punt. He is a gregarious man with an infectious laugh who gets so excited telling stories that sometimes his mind goes faster than his words. He then has to stop and start over.

Some of this makes him no different than those who dress around him in the Rams’ locker room. What sets Porter apart, though, is that his teammates were recruited out of high school to play college football and were scouted by the NFL throughout their college careers. In most cases, the NFL is not a surprise.

Porter, however, was recruited by no one. And when he did pay his way to tiny Stillman College in Tuscaloosa, Ala., he wasn’t academically eligible to play on the football team. So he did something that would be unthinkable to his NFL teammates:

He became a cheerleader.

“I prefer stuntman,” he says. Because after all, “cheerleader” leaves the impression he was screaming chants into a megaphone and Porter didn’t do that. Instead he clapped and threw the female cheerleaders into the air and caught them and stood next to the field on which he someday hoped to play.

“Don’t forget you’re going places,” his mother, Kim Oliver, back in California, used to say. And so he believed her even as he wore the tight shirt, clapped and held other cheerleaders over his head.

“He’s always been very determined,” Kim says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football was Quinn’s dream since he was 7 years old and his stepfather, David Oliver, put him in pads and sent him out for his youth football games. But he grew only to be 5-foot-8, 165 pounds as a teenager and the coach at Quartz Hill High School outside Lancaster, Calif., didn’t like to play underclassmen, according to Oliver, so Porter played only his senior year. This didn’t dissuade him from his passion.

He bombarded USC with the few game tapes he had, sending them as high up as athletic director Mike Garrett. Oliver, realizing a more modest goal for the child, sent tapes to smaller schools around the country with little response. It wasn’t until they attended an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) convention at their church that the name Stillman came up.

It turned out there was a teacher at a local community college who knew the president of Stillman, and the subject of Porter’s possible enrollment was broached. He had never heard of Division II Stillman, but the football coaches seemed interested in having Porter walk on. Since he says the...
    -10-20-2011, 04:04 PM
  • MauiRam
    Hay's Journey Just Beginning ..
    by MauiRam
    By Nick Wagoner

At this weekend’s rookie minicamp, offensive lineman Michael Hay will be one of 39 bright-eyed youngsters hoping to make a strong first impression on the Rams’ coaching staff. The 38 others might want to be on the football field as much as Hay but none will need it more.

Where the road diverges, Hay doesn’t see football as just a sport or an opportunity to play a game he loves. For him, it’s so much more.

“This game saved my life,” Hay says with an air of absolute certainty.

Like his rookie classmates, Hay loves football. The field represents a bit of a sanctuary, 100 yards of green solitude where the trials and tribulations of a bumpy past can be forgotten.

Signed as an undrafted free agent out of Syracuse last week after starting every game at tackle for the Orange the past two years, Hay comes to the Rams with big dreams and every possible motivation to get his foot in the NFL door.

It was only about five years ago that those dreams were almost dashed in an instant, gone with the swipe of a knife in a fistfight that spun wildly out of control. Hay had been stabbed in his chest, just below his left arm, cut through the rib cage and diaphragm, leaving a collapsed lung in its wake.

As Hay was rushed to the hospital and headed to surgery, his thoughts turned quickly to the game he loves. With mother Maria and father Arthur in tow, Hay looked up at the attending surgeon and asked what the damage would be in terms of his football hopes.

The answer wasn’t what he’d wanted to hear.

“I had camp two weeks later and I told the surgeon that I have to be ready, I’ve got to get to camp,” Hay said. “He gave me a look, kind of smirked at me like ‘What is this kid thinking about right now?’ He told me ‘Honestly, I don’t know if you will ever play the game again.’ And I broke down in tears, looked at my mom and dad and said ‘I’m going to show him, I’m going to get back out there.’”

Hay grew up in a supportive family in College Point, New York, an industrial part of Queens, with two working parents doing all they can to provide for the family. There, he learned the importance of hard work from his father who was a construction worker in the city.

Bigger than most kids his age, Hay became a force on a very talented Holy Cross High football team in Flushing. At 6’5, 283 pounds, Hay was one of the top linemen on one of the best teams in the city. He drew plenty of interest to play at the college level but none from any major Division I schools as he’d hoped.

Instead, Hay decided to attend Division II C.W. Post in Long Island. During the summer of 2007, between the end of his high school career and the start of his college career, what he calls an ongoing war of “he said, she said” began to boil over.

“It was to a point where we confronted each other in person...
    -05-11-2012, 10:21 PM
  • MauiRam
    Possible sleeper in the late rds??
    by MauiRam
    School of hard knocks
    Injuries, adversity have made Ducks' Colvin stronger
    Posted: Friday March 14, 2008 9:35AM; Updated: Friday March 14, 2008 3:00PM

Speedy receiver Cameron Colvin showed flashes of brilliance in his career at Oregon and hopes to impress NFL types at the Ducks' Pro Day next week.
    Icon SMI

By Stewart Mandel, SI.com

Like a lot of college seniors, Oregon's Cameron Colvin has a job interview next Thursday. In fact, he'll be auditioning for multiple employers on the same day. Like most of those peers, Colvin would really like to ace his interview. In fact, he's spent the past several months preparing for it. Unlike the typical college senior, however, Colvin has to ace this interview. It may be his one and only chance to enter the profession of his choosing.

If things had worked out as planned for the former Ducks receiver, there would not be so much riding on this singular performance at his school's 2008 Pro Day, where he will run, lift, catch passes and perform other assorted drills in front of the watchful eyes of NFL personnel men. Like a Chris Long or Darren McFadden the audition would barely affect his draft status.

Colvin, however, was not even among the 330-plus players invited to last month's NFL Scouting Combine. The Web site NFLDraftCountdown.com lists him 61st among receiver prospects. TFY Draft analyst (and SI.com contributor) Tony Pauline puts it bluntly: "He's not going to get drafted."

Oh, and did we mention Colvin is still recovering from a broken ankle suffered last October?

If any of this has dissuaded the cheery, soft-spoken 22-year-old Pittsburg, Calif., native from pursuing his NFL dreams, he hasn't shown it. If so, he would not have spent the past two months shuttling back and forth between Eugene, where he is in the midst of completing a degree in political science, and Florida, where he trains with a former Olympic gold-medalist.

"I'm one of the most motivated people on the planet," said Colvin. "A lot of people go through their whole lives not knowing what they want to do. I've always known I was born to be an NFL receiver."

When you've endured as many personal tragedies and setbacks as Colvin, the thought of disproving an entire league full of skeptics probably seems like a walk in the park.

Over the past decade, football fans have become increasingly obsessed with two rituals that take place away from the gridiron: National Signing Day and the NFL Draft. Colvin's once-certain rise to stardom dovetailed somewhere between the former and the latter.

Four years ago, the De La Salle (Calif.) receiver was such a hot commodity that his Signing-Day press conference was broadcast live on SportsCenter. With his godfather and mentor, Jay Lightner, by his side, Colvin...
    -03-15-2008, 02:47 PM
  • RamsFan16
    Renteria proving to be valuable
    by RamsFan16
    http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp...=.jsp&c_id=atl
    Renteria proving to be valuable
    Veteran shortstop has been a hit this season with the Braves
    By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- When Edgar Renteria made his first Major League start for the Marlins on May 18, 1996, at Wrigley Field, the third baseman positioned to his right was Terry Pendleton, a man who had an immediate influence on the then-20-year-old shortstop.
    Almost exactly 10 years later, when the Braves begin their three-game series against the Cubs at Wrigley Field on Friday, one of the most important weapons in their lineup will be Renteria, a man who is still profiting from the lessons Pendleton continues to provide.

"He was a kid that wanted to work and wanted to be better," said Pendleton, who now serves as the Braves' hitting coach. "He's still like that. He listened well."

During the first two years of his career, Renteria was surrounded in the Marlins clubhouse with the likes of Pendleton, Devon White and Bobby Bonilla, talented players who respected and understood the game. When he moved to St. Louis in 1999, he savored the influence Willie McGee provided.

Wanting to learn what it took to succeed at the Major League level, he spent countless hours asking them questions and learning what it took to be successful on and off the field.

"I wanted to learn how to play the game right like they did," Renteria said.

As he blossomed into a superstar, he became a standup individual like those aforementioned former teammates. When it came time for Braves general manager John Schuerholz to find a replacement for Rafael Furcal this past December, he certainly loved the fact that Renteria had been a four-time All-Star, with three Silver Slugger Awards and two Gold Gloves.

But just as important was the fact that Renteria had become a true student of the game, a leader and somebody who would be a positive influence in the clubhouse.

"Everybody who was ever around him said the same thing -- that he was the best teammate, best pro, you'll ever have on your team," Schuerholz said. "He came well advertised."

Given that Renteria had hit just .276 with 70 RBIs -- disappointing numbers only for someone of his caliber -- last season with the Red Sox, he also came with a warning label. But it was one the Braves chose to ignore, while focusing more on their belief that he would thrive in the less stressful, competitive environment that they could provide.

"We had every expectation that over here, back in the National League, in this environment, playing for [Braves manager] Bobby Cox, that he would thrive," said Schuerholz, who received Renteria and a guarantee of at least...
    -05-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Working...
X