• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Locker Room Quotes

Friday, December 10, 2004

WR Torry Holt

(On QB Chris Chandler)
    “We all feel good about Chandler. We all have a great connection with him. I think we built on that this week. We had a good week of practice, and we just need to carry that into Sunday.”

(On Chandler’s arm strength)
    “He’s throwing the ball extremely well. I’m very impressed with how he throws the long ball. I knew that in training camp and in preseason that he could throw the long ball, and he can throw it very well. His accuracy is real good too. So we have some good things up this weekend, and hopefully we can get to the long ball, get some completions, back those guys up.”

(On if he is looking for revenge from last year’s playoff loss to the Panthers)
    “Last year was last year, and it’s all said and done. To be able to come back this year and have an opportunity to play against them is good. To say we aren’t thinking about what happened last year, I would be totally lying to you. We owe them one. You have to believe that they are going to be ready and excited about playing us. It’ll be a great match up for us. The way we are rolling and the way we are feeing right now, we should do pretty well.”

(On starting the season as a possible fullback)
    “I roll with it. I gained the weight like (Coach Martz) wanted me to. I wasn’t real comfortable with it, but whatever they wanted me to do, that’s what I was going to do.”

(On being prepared)
    “There are situations all over the league like this, where a guy goes down, you just have to be prepared. A lot of these guys (who have gotten their opportunities) are showing out, and doing the best that they can.”

QB Jeff Smoker

(On how he’s been handling the offense)
    “I’ve been learning little by little every week. Obviously, I don’t know everything, and I don’t know as much as Marc (Bulger) or Chris (Chandler). But I know enough to be efficient and run the offense.”

(On how he was elevated to the number two quarterback)
    “(Coach Martz) gave me a couple of reps yesterday. I got in there and threw some good passes and made some good reads. I think he gained a little confidence that I’ve studied, and I haven’t been sleeping in the meetings for the past couple of months. Usually, I am on the sidelines, writing on the clip board, maybe joking around here and there. But I have to stay into the game now, and be prepared to go in at anytime.”

(On what has been the hardest thing to learn)
    “There is just so much to it, as far as the offense goes, as far as making the jump from college to pro. It just takes time with any new thing. It’s tough for a rookie in any position, I think, not just the quarterback, to be in there and be successful right away.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, December 8, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “With everything you do in the beginning of the year, you just hope at this point, with four games to go, you’re still in the hunt, which we are. Obviously, we are a half-game up on in the division, with our destiny in our control. We are looking forward to this game in Carolina, another NFC (team), and a team that we met in the playoffs last year. We are familiar with them. We have played against (Carolina head coach) John (Fox)’s defense on several occasions, and we are somewhat familiar with him. Their defensive line is terrific. Their quarterback is playing really well. He has that big, strong arm. Even though they are without their starter at running back, (RB Nick Goings) has done a tremendous job rushing the football. The offensive line is still significant, and of course, their receiving corps is good. They are on the mend. They are on a streak, winning four in a row, and winning some tight games. It should be fun. We are looking forward to this game, and it goes without saying right now, but this is as big as it gets.”

(On if he expresses the importance of this game to his team)
    “Yes, absolutely. At this point you need to. This is the time, where early in the year you start talking about this is a big game and it’s hard to do that, but at this point these are all playoff games. The significance grows each week. It’s a four-week season, and it starts with this one. We are all excited about being in this position, and this opportunity. We have done a great job defensively and given up the big play. Those are the mistakes within the defense that we are mending and resolving. I think we are kind of adapting that personality defensively, and the understanding of what we are trying to accomplish. Offensively, there are some issues that we need to mend and fix, but I’m excited about the perimeter and the offensive line and where we are heading. And I think Chris (Chandler) will do a good job for us.”

(On QB Chris Chandler)
    “When we signed him, he’s not 500-years-old, he’s 38. It doesn’t matter how old he is, he can play. He has terrific legs. He’s in there on the treadmill for 35 minutes on (level) nine. I don’t know if any of you can do that, and I know I can’t. I think that, and the fact that his arm strength hasn’t been diminished at all. He’s still on top of his game, in terms of seeing things and accuracy. All of those things, physically, would lend itself to believe that he still has a lot of football left in him. Otherwise, we would have never signed him to a two-year deal. He’s been through all of the playoffs. He’s been to a Super Bowl. He’s been there. He knows how to prepare. He knows how to get himself right. A lot of quarterbacks, and this is going to sound silly, but they don’t know themselves in big games yet. If they have not been there, (they don’t know)...
    -12-09-2004, 05:32 AM
  • RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Wednesday, December 8, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “With everything you do in the beginning of the year, you just hope at this point, with four games to go, you’re still in the hunt, which we are. Obviously, we are a half-game up on in the division, with our destiny in our control. We are looking forward to this game in Carolina, another NFC (team), and a team that we met in the playoffs last year. We are familiar with them. We have played against (Carolina head coach) John (Fox)’s defense on several occasions, and we are somewhat familiar with him. Their defensive line is terrific. Their quarterback is playing really well. He has that big, strong arm. Even though they are without their starter at running back, (RB Nick Goings) has done a tremendous job rushing the football. The offensive line is still significant, and of course, their receiving corps is good. They are on the mend. They are on a streak, winning four in a row, and winning some tight games. It should be fun. We are looking forward to this game, and it goes without saying right now, but this is as big as it gets.”

(On if he expresses the importance of this game to his team)
    “Yes, absolutely. At this point you need to. This is the time, where early in the year you start talking about this is a big game and it’s hard to do that, but at this point these are all playoff games. The significance grows each week. It’s a four-week season, and it starts with this one. We are all excited about being in this position, and this opportunity. We have done a great job defensively and given up the big play. Those are the mistakes within the defense that we are mending and resolving. I think we are kind of adapting that personality defensively, and the understanding of what we are trying to accomplish. Offensively, there are some issues that we need to mend and fix, but I’m excited about the perimeter and the offensive line and where we are heading. And I think Chris (Chandler) will do a good job for us.”

(On QB Chris Chandler)
    “When we signed him, he’s not 500-years-old, he’s 38. It doesn’t matter how old he is, he can play. He has terrific legs. He’s in there on the treadmill for 35 minutes on (level) nine. I don’t know if any of you can do that, and I know I can’t. I think that, and the fact that his arm strength hasn’t been diminished at all. He’s still on top of his game, in terms of seeing things and accuracy. All of those things, physically, would lend itself to believe that he still has a lot of football left in him. Otherwise, we would have never signed him to a two-year deal. He’s been through all of the playoffs. He’s been to a Super Bowl. He’s been there. He knows how to prepare. He knows how to get himself right. A lot of quarterbacks, and this is going to sound silly, but they don’t know themselves in big games yet. If they have not been there, (they don’t know) how they will respond. But...
    -12-09-2004, 12:36 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, December 10, 2004

(On how QB Chris Chandler looked)
    “Good. He’s ready to go. He’s excited about playing. He has a real good grasp of what we’re trying to do. The timing of what he’s doing is really good. I’m excited for him, and I’m excited that we have him here. We were just talking at practice, that at this point in his career, to be in this situation, he can enjoy where he is, go out and have fun, make some things happen, and appreciate the opportunity. I’m sure he’ll do a good job for us.”

(On the running backs)
    “Arlen (Harris) will start. Marshall (Faulk) is ready to go, I think. We’ll just see where Steven (Jackson) is. We didn’t do anything with him (today). There’s no sense in making it (his knee) swell up again. We’ll see where he is on Sunday. If he can go, he’ll go, if not, he won’t. We’re going to get him back in short order. He’s not going to be out very long. If he misses this one, I’m sure he will be back the following week. I don’t know if he’ll miss this one, we’ve just been very cautious with him.”

(On the defense)
    “I think knowledge of what we’re doing is the key. We do so many different things every week, like we do offensively. To be able to do those things, make those adjustment, and to do it at a high level or with great speed, and without being tentative. That tentativeness is where we’ve been all year, and we’re starting to shake that now. That doesn’t mean that we’re not going to make mistakes. They’re playing now with enthusiasm, because I think they are a lot more sure of what they’re doing out there.”

(On RB Arlen Harris)
    “He’s a terrific runner. He’s hard to knock off his feet. He’s real patient, and his running reads are really outstanding. He’s a much better player than he was a year ago. Last year, he hadn’t worked for two years basically, and he wasn’t sure he was going to make the team. Obviously he more than made the team, but he played well last year. Now with a full offseason, physically he’s so much further along, and he has a good grasp of what we’re doing.”

(On him practicing at fullback during training camp)
    “We were just trying to figure out a way to get him on the field. That was the whole idea about being a fullback. We just felt like he was too good of a player to be standing next to me on the sideline during the game. Once we realized that he had ascended from where he was a year ago with his running skills, we knew we had to get him in the game as a runner. He’ll run very well (on Sunday). If we do our job up front, I’m not worried about Arlen at all.”

(On who is going to be the backup quarterback this Sunday)
    “I think initially we will go into the game with Jeff (Smoker) because he knows what is going out. I stuck him in practice yesterday in the blitz period, and I was very pleased with how well he responded. He did a great job. He’s...
    -12-11-2004, 08:14 AM
  • RamWraith
    Players on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Wednesday, December 15, 2004

QB Chris Chandler

(On Head Coach Mike Martz saying that he should have play called a little bit differently)
    “It has nothing to do with Mike (Martz play calling). It was just my bad day.”

(On Arizona’s defense)
    “We just started looking at what they’re doing this morning, so I haven’t studied them a whole lot. They have some good guys up front, and they play really hard. They have been playing extremely hard, although their record is not what they want it to be. At home they’ve always played better.”

(On it being a must win game)
    “Oh yeah. It seems like every week it’s like that. We have a big three weeks coming up.”

(On coming out on offense with big plays early)
    “Especially on the road it is always important to try and get off early. With what happened last week, I think even more so. We’re going to try and come out real strong and real fast.”

WR Shaun McDonald

(On going back to Arizona)
    “It’s fun to go back home and play in front of your family. Especially to go back to a stadium where I played a lot of games. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

(On the lack of blocking on the punt returns)
    “I think it falls on all 11 of us. Sometimes we’re there blocking good, and I’m not running right. I think it’s all 11, so we all have to get it right. I’m getting antsy to make a play. You want to get back there to make plays, that’s why they put you back there. I get frustrated because I want to make plays on the punt team.”

(On if he thinks about bad games after they’re over)
    “Yeah, you think about it anytime you lose, especially if you’re a competitor. If you like playing the game you’re going to hurt from getting a loss. It stays with you for a little bit, but you have to try and get it out of your mind as fast as possible and think about next week.”

(On how much of an adjustment is it with a different quarterback)
    “It’s different, but as wide outs we just have to do what we do and let him worry about what he has to do. We just have to get to the spots where we need to be, so we can be there for him and try and help him out some more.”

DE Anthony Hargrove

(On Arizona)
    “We beat them the first time. We are going to come out and hopefully shut the run down and make them throw an air attack. We’re going to try and put pressure on their quarterback so he doesn’t throw it to the big receivers that they have. We are going to try and eliminate their big players.”

(On the Rams’ defense)
    “We’ve came out these last two weeks and shown that we can play good defense. Like coach Martz said, we’re starting to really come together. We are starting to fit together, and get a feel for the way each other plays.”

RT Blaine Saipaia

(On...
    -12-16-2004, 06:19 AM
  • Nick
    Bulger works out injured shoulder
    by Nick
    Bulger works out injured shoulder
    By Jeff Gordon
    Online Sports Columnist
    12/13/2004

Rams coach Mike Martz suggested that maybe, just maybe, quarterback Marc Bulger could make his return this week.

Bulger tested his injured right shoulder by throwing the football Monday at Rams Park.

“Just very moderate throwing, 20, 25 yards, very light,” Martz told reporters at his news conference. “He’s a little sore. Who knows, we may have him. But I’m not going to count on it. They gave him some treatment here this afternoon and we’ll see.

“He has to feel good about the shoulder holding together and playing. The structure has never been the issue. It’s just the pain that he has in the shoulder and the strength of making the throws that he wants to make, that he knows he has to make.”

To dislodge Chris Chandler as the starter at Arizona, Bulger would have to make impressive strides this week. Ditto for running back Marshall Faulk – although rookie Steven Jackson could be ready to replace fill-in Arlen Harris if his sore knee improves.

“All those guys will tell you they’re ready when they are not, because they are so competitive and you have to give that to him,” Martz said. “You have to be careful. You always try to error on the side of caution with all these, guys like Marshall, Marc.

“You never question their intensity, their integrity. They are always going to try to do it. It’s just like Pisa (Tinoisamoa). His shoulder came out three times; he’ll need surgery in the off-season.”

On other topics, Martz still believes Shaun McDonald was interfered with on his muffed punt – but Mad Mike was more upset with the shoddy blocking on the punt return units. On the plus side, he liked what he saw from newcomer Aveion Cason returning kickoffs.

Martz ordered that sudden string of carries for Harris because he didn’t like what he saw from the passing game. “I really felt like Arlen Harris played exceptionally well,” he said.

Here are some other highlights from the news conference:

On the failure of quarterback Chris Chandler and the offense: “Obviously we’re all disappointed in the way we played that football game, particularly on offense. Up front we had some issues. We did not play very well. We did not protect the quarterback, he got a little rattled. We just could not get things going offensively.”

On giving Chandler too much to do it in the game plan: “Offensively, there are some things we need to clean up. Chris just got off the mark here a little bit. He got pressured early and couldn’t settle down. I can do a much better job of helping with what we call, too. There is kind of flow of things that you get into. You’ve got to be able to run the ball and mix it in there and do some of those things too.

“It’s kind of the nature of the way that game went...
    -12-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Working...
X