• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz on the Mike

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, December 10, 2004

(On how QB Chris Chandler looked)
    “Good. He’s ready to go. He’s excited about playing. He has a real good grasp of what we’re trying to do. The timing of what he’s doing is really good. I’m excited for him, and I’m excited that we have him here. We were just talking at practice, that at this point in his career, to be in this situation, he can enjoy where he is, go out and have fun, make some things happen, and appreciate the opportunity. I’m sure he’ll do a good job for us.”

(On the running backs)
    “Arlen (Harris) will start. Marshall (Faulk) is ready to go, I think. We’ll just see where Steven (Jackson) is. We didn’t do anything with him (today). There’s no sense in making it (his knee) swell up again. We’ll see where he is on Sunday. If he can go, he’ll go, if not, he won’t. We’re going to get him back in short order. He’s not going to be out very long. If he misses this one, I’m sure he will be back the following week. I don’t know if he’ll miss this one, we’ve just been very cautious with him.”

(On the defense)
    “I think knowledge of what we’re doing is the key. We do so many different things every week, like we do offensively. To be able to do those things, make those adjustment, and to do it at a high level or with great speed, and without being tentative. That tentativeness is where we’ve been all year, and we’re starting to shake that now. That doesn’t mean that we’re not going to make mistakes. They’re playing now with enthusiasm, because I think they are a lot more sure of what they’re doing out there.”

(On RB Arlen Harris)
    “He’s a terrific runner. He’s hard to knock off his feet. He’s real patient, and his running reads are really outstanding. He’s a much better player than he was a year ago. Last year, he hadn’t worked for two years basically, and he wasn’t sure he was going to make the team. Obviously he more than made the team, but he played well last year. Now with a full offseason, physically he’s so much further along, and he has a good grasp of what we’re doing.”

(On him practicing at fullback during training camp)
    “We were just trying to figure out a way to get him on the field. That was the whole idea about being a fullback. We just felt like he was too good of a player to be standing next to me on the sideline during the game. Once we realized that he had ascended from where he was a year ago with his running skills, we knew we had to get him in the game as a runner. He’ll run very well (on Sunday). If we do our job up front, I’m not worried about Arlen at all.”

(On who is going to be the backup quarterback this Sunday)
    “I think initially we will go into the game with Jeff (Smoker) because he knows what is going out. I stuck him in practice yesterday in the blitz period, and I was very pleased with how well he responded. He did a great job. He’s been through camp, and played for us in the preseason. I think at this point, that’s where we would start, and give Jamie (Martin) some time to get his feet on the ground.”

(On if he has broken down this season into four game increments)
    “Not untill now. We have just had so many factors on this team. This has been kind of a transition for us, from a personnel standpoint. You’re just trying to get guys up to speed. We have so many young players, and some veterans that are new. This is the first time this year we’ve looked at it as a four game season, step-by-step. Up to this point, we were just trying to get better. I felt like at midseason we could start to do that, but we weren’t far enough along.”

(On this being like a playoff game)
    “It is a playoff game, and that’s what we told them. The regular season for us now is over. These are playoff games now in our mind, and that’s how we need to approach it.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, December 8, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “With everything you do in the beginning of the year, you just hope at this point, with four games to go, you’re still in the hunt, which we are. Obviously, we are a half-game up on in the division, with our destiny in our control. We are looking forward to this game in Carolina, another NFC (team), and a team that we met in the playoffs last year. We are familiar with them. We have played against (Carolina head coach) John (Fox)’s defense on several occasions, and we are somewhat familiar with him. Their defensive line is terrific. Their quarterback is playing really well. He has that big, strong arm. Even though they are without their starter at running back, (RB Nick Goings) has done a tremendous job rushing the football. The offensive line is still significant, and of course, their receiving corps is good. They are on the mend. They are on a streak, winning four in a row, and winning some tight games. It should be fun. We are looking forward to this game, and it goes without saying right now, but this is as big as it gets.”

(On if he expresses the importance of this game to his team)
    “Yes, absolutely. At this point you need to. This is the time, where early in the year you start talking about this is a big game and it’s hard to do that, but at this point these are all playoff games. The significance grows each week. It’s a four-week season, and it starts with this one. We are all excited about being in this position, and this opportunity. We have done a great job defensively and given up the big play. Those are the mistakes within the defense that we are mending and resolving. I think we are kind of adapting that personality defensively, and the understanding of what we are trying to accomplish. Offensively, there are some issues that we need to mend and fix, but I’m excited about the perimeter and the offensive line and where we are heading. And I think Chris (Chandler) will do a good job for us.”

(On QB Chris Chandler)
    “When we signed him, he’s not 500-years-old, he’s 38. It doesn’t matter how old he is, he can play. He has terrific legs. He’s in there on the treadmill for 35 minutes on (level) nine. I don’t know if any of you can do that, and I know I can’t. I think that, and the fact that his arm strength hasn’t been diminished at all. He’s still on top of his game, in terms of seeing things and accuracy. All of those things, physically, would lend itself to believe that he still has a lot of football left in him. Otherwise, we would have never signed him to a two-year deal. He’s been through all of the playoffs. He’s been to a Super Bowl. He’s been there. He knows how to prepare. He knows how to get himself right. A lot of quarterbacks, and this is going to sound silly, but they don’t know themselves in big games yet. If they have not been there, (they don’t know)...
    -12-09-2004, 05:32 AM
  • RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Wednesday, December 8, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “With everything you do in the beginning of the year, you just hope at this point, with four games to go, you’re still in the hunt, which we are. Obviously, we are a half-game up on in the division, with our destiny in our control. We are looking forward to this game in Carolina, another NFC (team), and a team that we met in the playoffs last year. We are familiar with them. We have played against (Carolina head coach) John (Fox)’s defense on several occasions, and we are somewhat familiar with him. Their defensive line is terrific. Their quarterback is playing really well. He has that big, strong arm. Even though they are without their starter at running back, (RB Nick Goings) has done a tremendous job rushing the football. The offensive line is still significant, and of course, their receiving corps is good. They are on the mend. They are on a streak, winning four in a row, and winning some tight games. It should be fun. We are looking forward to this game, and it goes without saying right now, but this is as big as it gets.”

(On if he expresses the importance of this game to his team)
    “Yes, absolutely. At this point you need to. This is the time, where early in the year you start talking about this is a big game and it’s hard to do that, but at this point these are all playoff games. The significance grows each week. It’s a four-week season, and it starts with this one. We are all excited about being in this position, and this opportunity. We have done a great job defensively and given up the big play. Those are the mistakes within the defense that we are mending and resolving. I think we are kind of adapting that personality defensively, and the understanding of what we are trying to accomplish. Offensively, there are some issues that we need to mend and fix, but I’m excited about the perimeter and the offensive line and where we are heading. And I think Chris (Chandler) will do a good job for us.”

(On QB Chris Chandler)
    “When we signed him, he’s not 500-years-old, he’s 38. It doesn’t matter how old he is, he can play. He has terrific legs. He’s in there on the treadmill for 35 minutes on (level) nine. I don’t know if any of you can do that, and I know I can’t. I think that, and the fact that his arm strength hasn’t been diminished at all. He’s still on top of his game, in terms of seeing things and accuracy. All of those things, physically, would lend itself to believe that he still has a lot of football left in him. Otherwise, we would have never signed him to a two-year deal. He’s been through all of the playoffs. He’s been to a Super Bowl. He’s been there. He knows how to prepare. He knows how to get himself right. A lot of quarterbacks, and this is going to sound silly, but they don’t know themselves in big games yet. If they have not been there, (they don’t know) how they will respond. But...
    -12-09-2004, 12:36 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the MIke
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Saturday, December 4, 2004

(On finishing practice early)
    “We stopped early. We had two team sessions that we cut short. This close to the game, I was a little worried about some of the legs and stuff. We watched some things closely. We took some things out, and shortened the team (drills) down. We had good work, so we cut it short.”

(On S Antuan Edwards)
    “I think he has a great feel for the ball in the air, and the range in terms of the passing game. Based on what we saw here in the last week, he’s certainly a willing tackler, and a big force defender. His range back there, break on the ball, and his awareness is kind of natural for him. I’m very pleased with him.”

(On the players being excited to see what RB Steven Jackson can do)
    “I think we all are. I think we’re all kind of anxious to put him in that kind of a role and see what he will do here in the regular season. I think he will play very well.”

(On if DT Jimmy Kennedy will start)
    “I’m not sure what the rotation is right now. I haven’t talked to Bill (Kollar) about it. He will see a lot of playing time. He played very well last week. He’s making outstanding progress. I am surprised (about how much he is able to play). He’s made no mention of any soreness in the foot. He’s done everything we’ve asked him to do and he’s getting a lot better.”

(On WR Isaac Bruce)
    “We rested him completely. He just did individuals today and yesterday. The swelling on the arm is down. He’ll be fine for the game. There’s just nothing to be gained from that (practicing) at this point. He’ll do some work tomorrow, but that will be it.”

(On RB Marshall Faulk)
    “He has a bone bruise inside the knee on the knee cap. He can play, but it’s painful. We’ll just kind of judge how he feels on Sunday. I’m sure he will be up and available. I’m not sure exactly when he did it, I couldn’t tell you. I’m not sure he knows. You get into the adrenaline flowing, and you don’t remember when some of that stuff happens to you.”

(On RB Arlen Harris)
    “Arlen is the best. He’s fine. I don’t worry about Arlen at all, he’s a good player.”

(On QB Marc Bulger’s toughness)
    “He hangs in there and makes throws with people all over him. I’m very pleased with that part of it. I think at times we’ve really protected him very well. He does a good job of tucking it, and also getting rid of the ball too. I’m very pleased with his toughness. That whole part of his game is very outstanding.”

(On the inconsistency in the NFC West)
    “I’m not sure. I haven’t really thought much about it. I’ve been just looking in our own backyard, at our situation. I know the issues that we have and that we’ve trying to plug.”

(On keeping the team’s spirits up)
    “That’s one of the reason that we...
    -12-05-2004, 07:27 AM
  • Nick
    Martz on the Mike, 12/20/04
    by Nick
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Monday, December 20, 2004

(Opening statement)
    “Obviously, a huge disappointment is an understatement, I would guess. I think at the beginning of the game, defensively, they put a great deal of pressure on us, and we didn’t handle the pressure very well. From a coaching standpoint, at the quarterback position, I felt like we needed to make a change at the quarter. QB Jamie (Martin) came in, with very little knowledge about what we’re doing, and no experience at all at that point, and he did a remarkable job in my opinion. I just felt like at that point we needed to make a change. RB Marshall (Faulk) stayed in the game for protection purposes. All the things that they were doing, I’m not sure if RB Steven (Jackson) would have been able to deal with. In fact, I know he wouldn’t have been able to deal with some of the pickups we were asking him to do. They did a good job on us, they really did. They out-coached us and they out-played us. Defensively, normally when we see a pressure like that, we’ve always dealt with that well, we’ve always looked forward to that type of pressure, but it was not a situation where we could do that with the quarterback position, obviously. When we get our wide receivers one-on-one, we would like to protect the quarterback and get the ball down the field to them as much as we can, and we just weren’t able to do that. In terms of the running game, they ended up with and eight-man front inside, played more or less kind of a bear defense, and it changes everything we do. At that point you relish the ability to throw the ball, and that’s how we’ve won in the past. We were able to get a little bit of a running game going at the end. I wasn’t aware of Steven (Jackson) not being in the game. Wilbert’s (Montgomery) judgement from what they were doing, from a blitz pickup standpoint, Marshall (Faulk) was clued in to it, as he always is, and Steven (Jackson), in his mind, would have probably struggled with some of that. Marshall (Faulk) played very well. We feel he’s back, like he was in the very beginning of the season. I’m very pleased with him. We have to pick up the pieces from this point, and move on. Obviously, I’m sure Philadelphia doesn’t feel sorry for us. I think we can(pick up the pieces), there’s no question about it. We get QB Marc (Bulger) back this week. I can’t stress to you enough how proud I am of Jamie (Martin), and the job that he did in this game, and how well he played. I don’t know if anybody really appreciates what he did in that game, and the pressure that he went into that game under. Here’s a team that is contending for the division, it’s all on his shoulders, and he hadn’t had a snap at practice with the first string offense. To go in there just from papers and tests, to play as well as he did, is actually pretty remarkable. LG Larry Turner did an excellent job as a rookie, he competed pretty well. RT Blaine (Saipaia) got better. There are some good...
    -12-20-2004, 06:38 PM
  • RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “We’re making progress, we have a long way to go. Efforts terrific but as we all know efforts not enough. So we have to do things right, and that’s what we’re here for. We’re going in the right direction, I’m pleased with the effort, after the first day there’s not a whole lot to tell you.”

(On where to begin in training camp)
    “We always repeat, when we were allowed to have two mini-camps, you just keep recycling things. We start off today just the same way we start off in mini-camp, same plays and same defense, all that stuff is the same. So they get reacquainted with the basics and the base of what we do, and then you begin to move on.”

(On the new practice schedule)
    “To evaluate the effect of that will take some time. The way the practice is structured isn’t just for one day, it’s over a long haul. It allows these guys to recover in the afternoons. Because they’re not so tired in the afternoon they should be sharp. In the morning it’s a little bit cooler weather, and being in the morning they should be a little bit sharper. That’s kind of the logic behind it.”

(On the different options at defensive end)
    “I know there’s a lot of concern, there’s a lot of emotional attachment to Grant (Wistrom) and he’s played so well for us for so many years we all thought that he was going to end his career here, as a Ram, he didn’t, it didn’t workout that way. On the other side of the coin, there’s six guys out there on the defensive end, on the left and right side, that you would be happy with lining up and playing with, I can safely say that. So whoever lines up at right defensive end, that’s who he is, and I’m sure whoever that is he will play very well.”
    (On moving Nick Burley to tight end)
    “One of the things, probably, he is a little slight in build, when you look at the numbers. He might make the roster, he might not. I think he has a terrific chance because just watching him catch the ball and run, his attitude is a little bit like we did with Robbie (Thomas). He (Robert Thomas) took to it. He learned it very well and it came easy to him. (Nick Burley) will have to adjust to some of the stuff in pads, being the hitter instead of the hitee, which always happens when you go from offense to defense and visa-versa. But for a guy who comes out with the right frame of mind and is an athlete like he is, he’s got a real chance to show himself. He’s a long ways away. It’s a bit of project here in the first few weeks until he gets things squared up, but he should be alright.”

(On if Nick Burley played tight end at the off-season workouts)
    “He was there in OTA’s (organized team activities). We moved him early, when we thought he had a chance there. There are a lot of tight ends that you can go out and bring in the league, and we thought...
    -07-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Working...
X