Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams pondering uniform changes ..

28 minutes ago • By Jim Thomas

Rams executive Kevin Demoff says a change in both current uniform and throwback uniform for the team is possible, if not likely in the not too distant future.

“I think at some time in the next five years, you’ll see a complete uniform _ throwback and current uniform _ (change),” Demoff said. “I’d be surprised if we didn’t have it.”

Fans seem to be obsessed with uniforms, and the recent announcement that the team would wear its 1999 throwbacks against Tennessee and Tampa Bay this season sparked another round of discussion. Both about the current uniforms and which throwback to use.

“Like everything else, you’re trying to elicit emotion from your fans, and our uniform colors seem to do that on a daily basis,” said Demoff, the Rams’ executive vice president of football operations. “There’s not a day that goes by that there’s not a uniform question or comment on the Internet.”

Teams are allowed to wear throwback uniforms at two home games each year. Choosing the Tennessee (Nov. 3) and Tampa Bay (Dec. 22) games for the ’99 throwback uniforms was a natural, given the fact that the Rams defeated Tampa Bay in the NFC championship game and then beat Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV that season.

“If you were looking for a throwback home ‘schedule,’ this was pretty obvious,” Demoff said. “Even we couldn’t (mess) this one up.”

By league rules, once a team chooses a particular throwback style, it must wear the same uniform for at least five consecutive seasons. In the case of the ’99 throwbacks, the Rams started wearing them in 2009.

“This is the fifth year,” Demoff said.

But a lot of lead time is required in order to change throwbacks, and the deadline has passed to change the throwbacks for 2014.

“So if we choose to wear throwbacks in ’14, we have to wear these current throwbacks as well; 2015 right now would be the first time we could change our throwback _ and we have to make the decision by the end of the year.”

And Demoff doesn’t see that happening. If that’s the case, then 2016 becomes the first year the team could change throwbacks.

“One of the things we’ve talked about is if we’re gonna overhaul the current uniform, doing that in conjunction with the throwback change,” Demoff said. “So basically you unveil all of your new uniforms at the same time rather than doing it piecemeal.

“A lot of discussion, a lot of thought has to go into the brand. But the thing that will make people passionate about these uniforms would be winning. People will love the all-blue look if we just won a few more games in them.”

Demoff and the Rams get plenty of “advice” from fans about uniforms, be it throwbacks or the current uniform. For example, there always has been some sentiment for a return to the blue-and-white of the “Fearsome Foursome” days.

“I think the blue-and-white is a great traditional, classic look for our club,” Demoff said. “I like our current throwbacks. I like our current uniform. They all have a meaning in time. We’ve talked about long-term doing a uniform re-design, looking back at the throwbacks we’re using now, or the blue-and-white, or a different hybrid. Or maybe something new and completely different.”

The color schemes have changed over the 76 seasons of Rams football, but with the exception of the early Cleveland Rams, the colors haven’t. Almost invariably, there has been some combination of blue, white, and gold. Not to mention those curly horns on the helmet.

“The horns have always been part of what we’ve done,” Demoff said.

At least since 1948, that is. That’s when the Rams became the first NFL team to have a logo on their helmets. The horns were designed by a Rams player at the time _ Fred Gehrke.

“If you look back over the arc of time, we have such a classic, traditional uniform that people love,” Demoff said. “And it elicits great passion. We have so many Hall of Famers that have worn all the different types of uniforms. I think our fans relate to all of them, but they certainly have a preference for each individual one.”

The one striking deviation from some form of blue, white, and gold came in 1937, the inaugural season of the Rams’ franchise. The ’37 Rams wore a sharp-looking red-and-black jersey.

“I love the red-and-black Cleveland uniforms,” Demoff said. “I don’t think people ever look back at the Cleveland ones, but we certainly do as a potential unique throwback.”

Here’s a link to check out the red-and-black Rams jerseys, as well as a history of Rams uniforms:

http://blog.heritagesportsart.com/20...m-history.html
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -08-13-2013, 01:00 PM.

Re: Rams pondering uniform changes ..

that would be a cool throwback, the red and black was definitely an interesting color choice then

curious of the uni change...hope it's not horrible

Comment

Blue and white, that's what us old times Rams fans want to see.
      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

I want the Blue and Yellow to be brought back as our primary uni's, with the Blue and White as the throwbacks...
        This space for rent...

Comment

Originally posted by thoey View Post
          I want the Blue and Yellow to be brought back as our primary uni's, with the Blue and White as the throwbacks...
          I'd do the opposite, bring back the blue and white with an updated look as the primary, and have the blue and yellow as throwbacks. We'll see what happens, but Kevin Demoff has gone on record as saying the blue and white are a top option.

In the meantime, we should bring back the gold pants.

Comment

Just get rid of the All blue uniform--PLEASE! The Blue/white combo--OK...Blue/Gold even better

Comment

The royal blue and mustard yellow have been getting a lot of positive feedback from fans. I'm sure it'll be a part of the Rams wardrobe as more than just your typical alternate throwbacks. The Broncos brought back the orange crush as their default home unis last season. I wouldn't mind our current home unis being the alternate

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

Red and black could only be for throwbacks - I don't want my team looking like the dirty birds.

As far as the regular uniform colors - I loved the old blue & white, and I love the modern blue & gold. Personally, I wouldn't care if they wore carpenter's jeans and tee shirts as long as they win a super bowl!
                temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                RAMS!

Comment

“I think the blue-and-white is a great traditional, classic look for our club,” Demoff said. “I like our current throwbacks. I like our current uniform. They all have a meaning in time. We’ve talked about long-term doing a uniform re-design, looking back at the throwbacks we’re using now, or the blue-and-white, or a different hybrid. Or maybe something new and completely different.

But seriously, no need to reinvent the wheel when you have great historical options to draw from.

Comment

Originally posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
                    The royal blue and mustard yellow have been getting a lot of positive feedback from fans. I'm sure it'll be a part of the Rams wardrobe as more than just your typical alternate throwbacks. The Broncos brought back the orange crush as their default home unis last season. I wouldn't mind our current home unis being the alternate
                    Back in the day when Eric Dickerson played for us, I didn't give that much thought to the uniforms. It wasn't until they changed from the bright yellow and royal blue that I realized how much I liked them and missed them. Hopefully the Rams will keep them around in some capacity. Seems we've played better lately when we've worn them - well, I'm not sure about that - seems like it though.

Comment

Oh, sure... like I'm going to buy a bunch of new jerseys...

Crap! Of course I will.

Damn you, Rams marketing department!!!

Comment

What I'd like to see....#1: blue and yellow. #2 Blue and White. #3: Current color scheme #4: anything but the Cleveland colors. #5 Cleveland colors. Please do not get away from blue and yellow or blue and white. Do not go red. But most importantly, do not mess with the horns!
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Blue and bright yellow are an AWFUL, WIMPY color combo for grown men to wear. The navy and whites are timeless and classy.
                          "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

the blue and bright yellow are wimpy?

gonna disagree on that...definitely not BRUIN colors...

they stood out

Comment

Our home and away: (Home) Royal Blue and Mustard Yellow, (Away) White, Royal blue, and Mustard Yellow.

Alternate: White and Blue's, Also the White or blue up top and gold pants (Jerseys with the gold stripe down the side like the early 2000's).

PLEASE!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam
                                Rams want old school uniforms now - NFL says "no"
                                by AvengerRam
                                Rams want to wear blue and yellow uniforms more often, but NFL says no

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 11, 2018, 9:51 AM EDT
                                Getty Images

Since the Rams moved back to Los Angeles, questions have raged about which uniforms they should wear: The blue and white of Merlin Olsen in the 1960s? The blue and yellow of Eric Dickerson in the 1980s? The blue and gold of the St. Louis years? Some combination?

The Rams are working on a permanent answer, but in the meantime they’d like to wear the Dickerson-style throwbacks more. The NFL, however, has other ideas.

Rams COO Kevin Demoff says the team has asked the NFL for permission to wear the blue and yellow throwbacks more often, but the NFL limited the Rams to wearing them twice last season. Demoff said he’s working on explaining to the league office that the fans would prefer those uniforms.

“We have spent the year educating them on our fan base,” Demoff told the Los Angeles Times. “We forwarded them all of the fan complaints, the emails we get, so I think they’re well aware of our fans’ preferences.”

Demoff said the Navy blue jerseys the Rams have worn aren’t anyone’s favorite.

“It was always with the idea that we’d be able to revisit it during the offseason when there’s more time to plan,” he said. “Hopefully, they recognize the challenge we have and appreciate the connection the fan base has to the blue and yellow. If we can avoid wearing our Navy jerseys next year, we will.”

It’s a bit odd that the NFL won’t let teams wear whatever uniforms they want, but it appears that the Rams still have some work to do to convince the league to let them wear those Dickerson-style uniforms on a full-time basis....
                                -05-11-2018, 09:54 AM
                              • RAMFANRAIDERHATER
                                Small victory on the uniforms today
                                by RAMFANRAIDERHATER
                                The NFL finally listened to the fans and will allow the Rams to wear the Blue and yellow uniforms for 5 home games this season. They'll wear the yellow "color rush" uniforms in Mexico, and the ugly white/gold/blue uniforms on the road and during the first two home games as well as the preseason. No more navy blue and gold jerseys. It was reported that the Rams sent all the letters and complaints directly to the NFL and said something like; "see what we're dealing with here?", "this is what the paying fans want". Small victory, but a victory nonetheless. The Rams will introduce the new designs in 2020 when the stadium opens. Now is we can just find a way to sign AD.
                                -07-27-2018, 08:51 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Former Rams upset team won't wear classic blue and yellow uniforms
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Former Rams upset team won't wear classic blue and yellow uniforms

8:55 AM PT

Arash Markazi ESPN Senior Writer

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Rams were back at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Thursday night for their first event at their old (and new) home since returning in January. It was a day many former Rams players thought they would never see, but there is still one lingering issue.

During Thursday’s event where fans mingled with current and former players on the field and toured the Coliseum, all of the former players and 99 percent of the fans wore the Rams’ classic blue and yellow uniforms they wore when the team last played in Los Angeles. When the Rams take the field at the Coliseum this season, however, they will play in the Millennium Blue and New Century Gold uniforms they wore in St. Louis for the majority of the season. Those uniforms and colors remain the one problem many former players and fans have with the team’s return.

Rams greats Fred Dryer, left, and David Hill take a photo with a fan at an event welcoming the team back to Los Angeles and Memorial Coliseum. Arash Markazi/ESPN.com

“I’ll never forget when I saw the Rams come out of the Coliseum tunnel for the first time in those beautiful gold and yellow uniforms with those Rams horns,” said Fred Dryer, who was a defensive end for the Rams from 1972 to 1981 before becoming an actor (most notably starring in the television series "Hunter"). “If you look at the Rams horns right now, they’re a disgrace. They’re separated, they’re stupid, and they don’t make any sense. They should join in the middle.”

The Rams will wear their classic blue and yellow uniforms twice next season, the maximum the league allows for alternate throwback uniforms, but the team is working with the league to expand that number. Teams are required by the league to submit requests to change uniforms between January and March and then must wait two years to implement those changes. The team does not plan on making any significant uniform changes until moving into their new stadium in Inglewood in 2019.

“I understand they can’t make a change for another year or two, but they don’t have to wear that uniform, they can choose to wear anything they want,” Dryer said. “Those Rams horns are known globally and for them to *******ize it like this by putting these two stripes is stupid. They should fix those horns because right now, it’s bull----."

Dryer’s sentiment was shared by many of the former players and fans wearing blue and yellow shirts and hats and throwback uniforms at the Coliseum.

“It’s the best uniform,” former Rams running back Eric Dickerson said as he walked around the field with his blue and yellow No. 29 jersey. “I think the Rams know...
                                -06-17-2016, 03:10 PM
                              • Tampa_Ram
                                Possible uniform change in the future.
                                by Tampa_Ram
                                St. Louis Rams considering new uniforms

By Ryan Van Bibber on Nov 16, 3:04p

The St. Louis Rams are thinking of making some changes to the way the team looks.
                                Facebook
                                Twitter

The St. Louis Rams could be in line for some new uniforms in the near future, new old uniforms that is. Team COO Kevin Demoff sat down with Bernie Miklasz on 101 ESPN Friday to discuss a range of issues, and new duds happened to be on the agenda.
                                Demoff said that the team is leaning toward bringing back the old blue and white uniforms, from the 1960s and early 1970s.
                                Getting new uniforms isn't as easy as just putting on a new shirt. The league, being ever so conscious about its brand identity, requires a pretty thorough and lengthy process to change uniforms. Demoff said that the Rams would start by instituting those as throwbacks in 2014 and transitioning after that season. Hopefully, the team won't be in Los Angeles too at that point ... which is doubtful.
                                Update: To be clear, Demoff told TST that the Rams were only considering the new unis, and 2014 would be the earliest the team could start down that path. The classic blue and gold unis are in play for the Rams too.
                                Above is a shot Roman Gabriel and the Rams in those old unis from the cover of Sports Illustrated in October 1966.

What do you think?

photo from RamTommyInLA....
                                -11-17-2012, 01:57 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Rams will wear 1999 'throwbacks' in '09
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                11/21/2008

You’ve seen them all around the National Football League, but not at Rams homes games. But in 2009, throwback uniforms are finally coming to St. Louis.

The NFL has approved the use of throwback uniforms for the club next season.

"We’ve signed off on it," Rams equipment manager Todd Hewitt said. "It’s a done deal. We’ve been talking about doing it for a couple years. We never could decide really in time to do it."

That’s because the league requires lots of lead time before allowing a team to wear throwbacks. In this instance, the Rams had to have their initial request in by March 1, 2008 for use in the 2009 season.

"So almost like a year and a half in advance," Hewitt said.

Rams owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez looked at sample throwback uniforms three weeks ago when the Rams played host to Arizona -- one of the last steps in the process.

The Rams sought league approval to wear throwbacks this season in honor of late owner Georgia Frontiere, but the league denied the request because of a lack of lead time. By wearing them in 2009, the Rams will commemorate the 10th anniversary of the team’s Super Bowl XXXIV victory over Tennessee.

"I think that the right throwback uniforms connect the players to part of the history of the team -- and that tradition is really important," Rosenbloom said. "In this case, we’re going to use the uniforms that we won the Super Bowl with."

That would be the royal blue, gold, and white uniforms worn by the team during their first five seasons in St. Louis. The "gold" part of those uniforms actually was more like a yellow. But after the 1999 championship season, the team changed uniform styles, going to more of a true gold color and a darker blue -- officially called "new century gold" and "millennium blue."

The Rams are allowed to wear the throwbacks for up to three home games next season. They are not allowed to change throwback uniforms -- say to an earlier style -- for five years.
                                -11-21-2008, 10:04 AM
                              Working...
                              X