• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams' Williams probably out for rest of season

By R.B. Fallstrom
    Associated Press
    12/15/2004
    St. Louis Rams free safety Aeneas Williams probably will be sidelined for the remainder of the season with a neck injury.

Williams, an eight-time Pro Bowl player, met with team doctors Wednesday about an arthritic condition. Coach Mike Martz expects Williams to decide his future soon regarding an injury that could be career-threatening.

"I told him to take the night and I gave him two alternatives," Martz said. "Aeneas is probably done for a while."

Earlier in the week, the Rams were contemplating signing rookie safety Jason Shivers off their practice squad because of the injury. But Shivers, a fifth-round pick, was claimed by the Chicago Bears before the Rams could make the move.

The 36-year-old Williams was limited to a few series in Sunday's 20-7 loss to the Carolina Panthers and has played sparingly in recent weeks.

Williams has 55 career interceptions, tied for 15th place on the career list with Hall of Famer Lem Barney and Pat Fischer, and needs two picks to move into the top 10. He has returned nine interceptions for touchdowns, tied for second on the career list.

But he has no interceptions this season.

Williams made six Pro Bowls as a cornerback with the Arizona Cardinals and one more with the Rams. He moved to safety in 2003 after a broken leg and torn ankle ligaments midway through the 2002 season, and made his eighth Pro Bowl.

In 2001, his first year with the Rams, Williams was chosen as a defensive captain and helped the Rams go to the Super Bowl.

His biggest game probably came in the playoffs, when he returned two interceptions of Green Bay's Brett Favre for touchdowns. Last season, he intercepted two passes and returned one for a score in a victory over the Cleveland Browns.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFan16
    Aeneas Williams weighing his options
    by RamsFan16
    A. Williams weighing his options
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/13/2005

Where's Aeneas: Never has a probable Hall of Famer left a team, and the game, as quietly as defensive back Aeneas Williams did after the 2004 Rams season. Williams, 37, was an unrestricted free agent following his injury-plagued campaign.

The Rams showed no interest in re-signing him. However, Williams has made no retirement announcement, and according to his agent, Eugene Parker, hasn't ruled out returning to the NFL.

"I think he's keeping his options open, maybe for the right situation," Parker said Tuesday.

And if the right situation came along?

"I think he would consider (playing)," Parker said. "He's in shape. He's just taking his time and keeping his options open. ... He's not quick to make decisions. He's pretty thoughtful."

Williams, an eight-time Pro Bowler, spent the past four seasons with the Rams after playing 10 years for the Arizona Cardinals.
    -09-14-2005, 12:09 PM
  • RamWraith
    Williams still teaching, working hard off field
    by RamWraith
    Ted Lewis New Orleans Times-Picayune June 12, 2008

In his current role as the pastor of the church he recently founded in his adopted home of St. Louis, Aeneas Williams often tells the story of how at age 40 Moses found it in his heart to visit his brother Aaron, thus beginning the saga of Exodus.

Williams usually uses the story in the context of how he and wife Tracy started The Spirit of the Lord Family Church in his basement last year when he was almost the same age as Moses.

But it also refers to something that happened two decades ago - when Williams, after two years of attending Southern University as an ordinary student after graduating from Fortier High School in New Orleans, felt moved in his heart to walk on the football team just prior to the start of the season.

"Michael Lindsay, a friend of mine from Fortier, asked me why I wasn't playing, and what he said really struck with me," said Williams, who had last played on Fortier's undefeated 1985 team.

"And my uncle, William Whitson, was always saying to, 'Nikki, why are you not playing football?'

"Before, I never would go along with them. But this time, for whatever reason, I said, 'OK.' "

And unlike Moses, Williams at that point was not a reluctant warrior.

"In other areas, when I get a desire to do something, I might question it," he said. "But in football, I didn't."

Good thing.

In just five weeks Williams was starting at cornerback for the Jaguars. Three years later, the Arizona Cardinals made Williams their third-round draft choice, launching an NFL that career that last 14 seasons, saw him named All-Pro five times, appear in eight Pro Bowls and selected to the league's 1990s All-Decade Team. Those are credentials sure to land Williams in Canton as soon as he's eligible.

Already, he's scheduled for induction in the Cardinals' Ring of Honor this fall.

But before that, Williams is about to be inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in Natchitoches. He was elected by acclimation in his first year of eligibility.

"All of this recognition is a tremendous honor," Williams said. "But my goal as a player has always to get myself better individually in order to assist my team getting better as a group."

That wasn't always easy.

As Moses did, Williams spent years in the wilderness - namely Arizona where in his 10 seasons the Cardinals lost nearly twice as many games as they lost, making the playoffs only once.

Traded to St. Louis on draft day in 2001, Williams helped transform one of the league's worst defenses into one of its best.

The Rams went to Super Bowl XXXVI in the Superdome where they lost to New England, 20-17.

Williams' play that season...
    -06-14-2008, 06:21 AM
  • RamDez
    Tight end Williams glad to be back with Rams
    by RamDez

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Roland Williams says he's glad to back with the St. Louis Rams, a team he helped win the Super Bowl in 2000.
    St. Louis signed the 6-foot-5, 265-pounder in the offseason.
    Williams, who played with the Rams from 1998 to 2000, was traded to the Oakland Raiders before the star to the 2001 season. He stayed with Oakland for two years, then went to Tampa Bay, then returned to the Raiders.
    "It feels great to be back," Williams said Saturday after the morning practice at Rams Park. "This is where I started playing my career. I'm going into year eight. This is great to come back and have a rebirth after going through injuries and that stuff.
    "It's great to come back to a place I love so much to get it going again."
    Williams has impressed coach Mike Martz in the early days of camp.
    Martz said Williams will be the starter. Brandon Manumaleuna, who started 15 games last season, will back up Williams, although he'll still see playing time.
    "We're kind of moving in a different direction," Martz said. "We're going to do a lot of two tight end stuff. In essence, they are both starters."
    A solid blocker, Williams has shown he can also catch the ball.
    "Roland Williams is probably the most pleasant surprise of the offseason," Martz said. "When we brought him back here, I felt like he was going to be a solid player.
    "What Roland did in the spring is much more than I anticipated. He deserves the opportunity to step and battle."
    Sharing the spot with Manumaleuna is fine with Williams.
    "I feel like we're the best tight end tandem in the league," Williams said.
    Receiver Torry Holt said he is glad Williams is back wearing the blue and gold of the Rams. Williams is a positive presence in the locker room.
    "It's good," Holt said of his gregarious teammate who often wears a smile and loves playing football. "Roland is good for our football team because of the energy and the passion that he has for the game of football. It's so big and critical for the young guys to see his energy and passion day after day."
    A fourth-round pick by the Rams in 1998, Williams appeared in 14 games as a rookie and earned Offensive Rookie of the Years honors. In 1999, Williams played in 16 games, starting 15, and caught 25 passes for 226 yards and six touchdowns. He caught one pass in the Super Bowl win over the Tennessee Titans.
    After the 2000 season, the Rams traded Williams to Oakland for a fourth-round draft pick in the 2001 draft. In two years with Oakland, Williams caught 60 passes.
    He was placed on the physically unable-to-perform list by the Raiders at the start of training camp in 2003. After healing several injuries, Williams signed with Tampa Bay and played in one game. He rejoined the Raiders in April 2004 after spending most...
    -07-30-2005, 05:03 PM
  • Nick
    Williams talks good game; Rams hope he plays one, too
    by Nick
    Williams talks good game; Rams hope he plays one, too
    By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Monday, May. 16 2005

Until Roland Williams returned to town a couple of months ago, Steven Jackson
    probably knew little, if anything, about him. Yet if Jackson prospers in his
    first year as the Rams' No. 1 running back, Williams just might become his new
    best friend.

Williams is a 6-foot-5, 265-pound tight end who hasn't caught a pass since the
    2002 season. Still, if Williams can block the way coach Mike Martz remembers,
    he could fill a key role.

"Roland was a terrific point-of-attack tight end for us," Martz said after
    Williams signed as a free agent March 9. Williams' presence "makes us bigger
    and stronger in the running game," Martz added.

Williams, 30, began his NFL career in St. Louis, a fourth-round pick in the
    1998 draft. He moved up to the first unit about halfway through his rookie year
    after Ernie Conwell suffered a season-ending knee injury. Williams wound up
    with 51 receptions for 472 yards and 10 touchdowns in three seasons with the
    Rams.

He was traded after the 2000 season and gathered 60 catches for 511 yards and
    three TDs in two years with the Oakland Raiders. He was cut in 2002 and spent
    part of the next season with Tampa Bay, where serious knee and toe injuries
    limited him to one game. He returned to the Raiders last year, playing 12 games
    and then becoming a salary-cap casualty after the season.

Tampa Bay was interested in bringing him back, and Washington offered a
    three-year contract. But Williams accepted the Rams' one-year, $690,000 offer
    to replace Cam Cleeland as the No. 2 tight end behind Brandon Manumaleuna.

"It's great to come back and have a rebirth in the place where I was born as a
    football player," Williams said. "I think it's always been a good fit,
    honestly. ... It's an offense that I love and had some success in."

And he just can't wait to start blocking for the 6-1, 231-pound Jackson, who
    averaged just over 5 yards (673 total) on 134 carries last year as a rookie
    after the Rams made him their first-round draft pick.

"The boy is big, and runs strong and hard," Williams gushed. "That's why they
    call him the 'Train.'"

Williams is like a runaway locomotive himself when he gets rolling with the
    media. A graduate of Syracuse University's highly regarded S.I. Newhouse School
    of Public Communications, the orally flamboyant Williams consistently spews
    delectable quotes. A few examples from a recent interview:

On the FieldTurf that will replace the 10-year-old Astroturf at the Edward...
    -05-17-2005, 01:24 AM
  • RamWraith
    Aneas Williams article
    by RamWraith
    Religion today

1-14-2009

By BETSY TAYLOR

CLAYTON, Mo. (AP) During his football career, Aeneas Williams earned a reputation as a quiet leader who professed a deep Christian faith. Behind the eight Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl loss was a man often sought out in the locker room to help put things in perspective.

Now, the 40-year-old Williams leads a small startup church that meets in rented space at a hotel in suburban St. Louis, where he weaves lessons from life and football into his sermons.

With football in its most important time the college bowl season is over and the Super Bowl is looming the strong evangelical faith of high-profile players and coaches has been getting attention.

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow wore a Bible verse on eye black in the Bowl Championship Series title game and thanked Jesus Christ in post-game interviews. Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, still alive in the NFL playoffs, has spoken out about his evangelical faith. So has Tony Dungy, who retired this week as coach of the Indianapolis Colts.

Williams who is ordained but doesn't use the title "reverend" played for the Arizona Cardinals and St. Louis Rams as a cornerback and safety before retiring in 2005. He and his wife, Tracy, started Spirit of the Lord Family Church in their home in 2007. Services moved last year to a ballroom at the upscale Crowne Plaza Hotel in Clayton while the 70-member church seeks a permanent home.

"The hope is that each person who attends has a personal relationship with the Lord that's practical and that they're able to take that relationship and share it with someone else," Williams said.

Former Rams head coach Mike Martz, now offensive coordinator for the San Francisco *****, wasn't surprised that Williams decided to lead a church.

"I can't imagine him doing anything else," Martz said. He said many players sought out Williams. Martz said he thinks many were drawn to "his quiet confidence, his unshakability and resolve."

Martz said he found his conversations with Williams helpful, including one after the Rams lost the Super Bowl to the New England Patriots and began with an 0-5 record in 2002.

"He's one guy I trust completely to be absolutely honest with me," Martz said.

"I think what happens, as a head coach when you lose the Super Bowl, you come back and you're so intent on fixing it and going back and winning it, that, you know, I was just not myself. He helped me understand that I was not the same coach or the same person I was in the past." The conversation helped Martz better address how he was interacting with the team, he said.

During a recent sermon at his nondenominational Christian church, Williams talked about how he didn't want to play...
    -01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Working...
X