X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players on the Mike

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

QB Chris Chandler

(On Head Coach Mike Martz saying that he should have play called a little bit differently)
    “It has nothing to do with Mike (Martz play calling). It was just my bad day.”

(On Arizona’s defense)
    “We just started looking at what they’re doing this morning, so I haven’t studied them a whole lot. They have some good guys up front, and they play really hard. They have been playing extremely hard, although their record is not what they want it to be. At home they’ve always played better.”

(On it being a must win game)
    “Oh yeah. It seems like every week it’s like that. We have a big three weeks coming up.”

(On coming out on offense with big plays early)
    “Especially on the road it is always important to try and get off early. With what happened last week, I think even more so. We’re going to try and come out real strong and real fast.”

WR Shaun McDonald

(On going back to Arizona)
    “It’s fun to go back home and play in front of your family. Especially to go back to a stadium where I played a lot of games. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

(On the lack of blocking on the punt returns)
    “I think it falls on all 11 of us. Sometimes we’re there blocking good, and I’m not running right. I think it’s all 11, so we all have to get it right. I’m getting antsy to make a play. You want to get back there to make plays, that’s why they put you back there. I get frustrated because I want to make plays on the punt team.”

(On if he thinks about bad games after they’re over)
    “Yeah, you think about it anytime you lose, especially if you’re a competitor. If you like playing the game you’re going to hurt from getting a loss. It stays with you for a little bit, but you have to try and get it out of your mind as fast as possible and think about next week.”

(On how much of an adjustment is it with a different quarterback)
    “It’s different, but as wide outs we just have to do what we do and let him worry about what he has to do. We just have to get to the spots where we need to be, so we can be there for him and try and help him out some more.”

DE Anthony Hargrove

(On Arizona)
    “We beat them the first time. We are going to come out and hopefully shut the run down and make them throw an air attack. We’re going to try and put pressure on their quarterback so he doesn’t throw it to the big receivers that they have. We are going to try and eliminate their big players.”

(On the Rams’ defense)
    “We’ve came out these last two weeks and shown that we can play good defense. Like coach Martz said, we’re starting to really come together. We are starting to fit together, and get a feel for the way each other plays.”

RT Blaine Saipaia

(On if there is a change of preparation going in as a starter)
    “Coaches always talk about preparing as a starter, whether you’re a starter or not, because you never know when your number is going to be called. As far as anything changing, there’s not too much. I really have to be on my toes. This week they have three different guys that do three different things fairly well. So I really have to be on point and understand who is in the game at what point, and certain things that they like to do and their tendencies.”

(On the veteran players on the offensive line accepting him)
    “They’ve earned their stripes in this league. The neat thing about these guys is they are just so open and welcoming to the younger guys. They’re not afraid to take us under their wings and show us how things are done. That’s really great to have when you are coming in and starting, and you are kind of uneasy about certain things.”

RB Arlen Harris

(On how important this game is)
    “The remainder of our games are very important. With this being a division game, it is a must win, and we’re going to take that approach.”

(On the cardinal defense)
    “Their defense is obviously very good. We feel like we can throw the ball and run the ball on these guys. We just have to make sure we execute.”

(On if there was a little bit of rust in his first game starting this year)
    “There was a little bit of rust. I was just trying to get used to the offensive line, everybody blocks a little bit different. As I got more carries, I felt more comfortable.”

(On if he thinks it will be difficult for QB Chris Chandler to get his confidence back)
    “No I don’t think so. Chris is a veteran. Obviously you’re not going to have a great game every game, but he’s going to bounce back, I’m sure.”

C Andy McCollum

(On if this game is a must win game)
    “Yeah, pretty much. There’s no other way for us to look at it. We only have three weeks left and just about everybody is still in it. We have to take it one game at a time, and go out there and take care of business against Arizona.”

(On Head Coach Mike Martz being disappointed in the offensive lines performance against Carolina)
    “We just have to get better. The whole team has to get better. As a group, as an offensive line, we have to take it upon ourselves to come out this week and perform like we have in the past, like the first time we played these guys. Hopefully we can get the run game going and mix it up and throw the ball a little bit. Whatever he calls we have to be able to execute, and that’s what we’re looking to do this week.”

(On if there is anything different about working with a different quarterback)
    “They’re all a little bit different with their timing and the way that they handle plays and what not. But It’s nothing that should effect how we get our job done.”

(On if he thinks QB Chris Chandler will bounce back this week)
    “He’s been playing forever. We’ve all had bad games before, and you have to just come back the next week, and we’re completely confident that Chris can do that. Like I was saying before, It’s not just one guy, this whole offense we didn’t perform well enough last week. It was all of us, and we all have to take it upon ourselves to individually get better and then as a group it will happen that we will play better. We plan on playing a lot better this week.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Coach / players--Sept. 20
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan
    September 20

(Opening Statement and Injury Report) “Pisa’s (Tinoisamoa) elbow is getting better. He’s still going to be listed as questionable. He worked some things on a limited basis in a red jersey on the field. We’re obviously keeping Orlando (Pace) out. He’s doubtful at this point. He didn’t get any practice today. We’ll evaluate him and due a psych test on him tomorrow and make the evaluation then, exactly whether he’ll be ready for this weekend.”

(On T Orlando Pace’s recovery) “I asked him how he felt and he said he felt better. He’s feeling better everyday. I think he’s still feeling it a little bit. That’s got to be a good thing that he says he’s feeling better.”

(On not being surprised if LB Pisa Tinoisamoa is ready to play on Sunday) “That would be standard for Pisa. That’s just the way he thinks and that’s why he has a good chance of playing this weekend.”

(On players taking time off to recover from injury) “It helps, but I prefer that guys practice. If he can get something done Friday, we won’t do anything tomorrow. If he could get something done Friday, that would make us feel better. I’m more concerned with the fact that he is 100 percent. The plan is secondary to making sure he’s okay.”

(On the idea of putting T Alex Barron on the left side of the offensive line) “That’s because he’s been on the right side here. We’ve had to move enough and we want to try to keep things as stable as we can with (Todd) Steussie at left (Tackle). Adam (Goldberg) has played a lot of guard. He started quite a few games at Minnesota last year at guard. That would be our contingency plan right now.”

(On Barron’s progression) “I think he’s playing pretty good. I think he’s doing the things you want to improve on from your first year to your second. His run-blocking is better. I think he’s a very good pass protector. When we have both him and Orlando (Pace) healthy I think that’s going to be very positive for us. He’s progressing very well. He’s made a lot of improvement from his rookie year.”

(On G Adam Goldberg’s performance) “I think he did fine. With very limited time here, I think he’s very familiar with a lot of the things we’re doing, terminology wise. He worked our offense two years ago and was basically working a new system. Just getting the reps up a little bit was some of it. Just like everybody, he had a couple of errors in the game, but he’s a good player and I’m glad we have him.”

(On determining Pace’s status) “I’m optimistic. They are guys that have played a lot. Those two guys on the left side have played a lot more football in the NFL than Richie (Incognito). Anytime you have to re-shuffle things it’s not easy, but these guys are pros and having a week to prepare will certainly give us a better chance to have more success.”

(On C Richie Incognito’s...
    -09-21-2006, 05:30 AM
  • RamWraith
    Locker Room Qoutes
    by RamWraith
    Thursday, September 30, 2004

QB Marc Bulger

(On preparing for the San Francisco game)
    “I think with them starting out the way they have, and obviously with our record, it’s almost a must-win game. We had two good games last year, overtime here, then they got us pretty good out there. But it’s always a good game between these two organizations, and being a division game, it’s pretty important.”

(On playing at San Francisco)
    “Last week, the way they got beat in Seattle, that’s not indicative of how good of a team they have. Just from watching some of their defense, they move around pretty well, and they have some incredible guys over there. It’s going to be a tough challenge this week.”

(On the Rams’ offensive style)
    “I think everyone would like to see us run the ball more, the players, and I’m sure Coach Martz too. But what I think what he meant was, if the pass is all that is going for us, than that’s what we are going to stick with. Whatever it takes to win, whether we run it every down, or pass it every down, as long as we win that’s all we care about in here. I think that’s the point that he’s trying to convey.”

(On if the team is in panic mode)
    “We are not in a panic. We know there is urgency in the situation we are in. I know how upset the fans get, and how upset everyone gets, but nobody wants to win more than us. The problem with that is if we dwell on the loss Sunday too much, then we won’t be prepared for San Francisco. We know they are getting ready right now, and if we are still worrying about last Sunday, then we will be in for a long game this Sunday. We made our corrections. You hate to say you had to move on, but you have to move on.”

(On if he has a good read on the ***** defense)
    “They do a lot of coverages, and have a lot of different fronts. We played against pretty much all of those guys last year, so personnel-wise, we know them.”

(On if their defense is different now that Jim Mora is not the defensive coordinator)
    “They do a lot of zone blitzing. (Mora) was probably a little more aggressive. That was just his style. They will still dial it up, and we will have to be prepared for a lot of things. Every week, some things you prepare for they don’t do, and some things you didn’t think they would do, they do. So we are just preparing for everything.”

DE Leonard Little

(On the defense not having a turnover)
    “That’s the way it is sometimes. It will turn around for us. We’ll start to get some turnovers and get our offense on the field a little more. We started 1-2 last year and people put us in the same position last year at this time, so we just need to come out and play our game.”

(On if the defense hasn’t been as aggressive as last year)
    “No, we just made some mental mistakes. It’s not like people...
    -09-30-2004, 12:58 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Tuesday, December 14, 2004

(Opening statement)
    “Obviously we’re all disappointed in the way that we played that football game, particularly on offense. I think up front we had some issues, we did not play very well. We did not protect the quarterback, and he got a little rattled. We just could not get things going offensively. To have that many turnovers, and to hold them to 20 points, is kind of a miraculous job by the defense. We struggled early on defense. We gave up three real big plays in a row on that first series, but after the first quarter, I thought defensively we played really well. I was very pleased with CB Jerametrius Butler. I think (Antuan) Edwards is coming along just fine. He’s doing a good job. I think DE Bryce (Fisher) probably played his best football game since he’s been here. I really felt like RB Arlen Harris played exceptionally well. I think RT Blaine (Saipaia) probably played as well, if not the best, of all the offensive linemen. He basically blocked (Julius) Peppers. On the touchdown throw he had him by himself. We were doubling the tackle with our right guard and our center, and he had him by himself. It was a long count pass, and he blocked him. He’s good enough, and he’s going to be fine, he just needs to play. I love his toughness and his competitiveness. Offensively, there are some things that we need to clean up. QB Chris (Chandler) just got off the mark here a little bit. He got pressured early, and couldn’t settle down. I didn’t do a much better job of helping him in what we called. It’s kind of a flow of things that you get into, but you have to be able to run the ball and mix it in there. Kind of the nature of the way that game went early, we felt like we had to play a fast-paced game. As it turned out, that was not the case. If I had to choose to do it again, I wouldn’t have done that. I would have mixed it up a little bit better. I was just afraid of it getting away from us.”

(On simplifying the offense for QB Chris Chandler)
    No, not really. In our passing game, you can have seven or eight passes that are really the same read for him. Just the mechanics of what you do here as a quarterback, in terms of what you’re looking at, how you make decisions, and how quick those decisions are, those kinds of things. He’s had a lot of systems now, and a lot of different coaching, and when you get under pressure like that, sometimes you revert back to another system, and how you would deal with things in the past. I kind of think that’s where he is. I really do think he will be fine. He’s just devastated.”

(On how QB Marc Bulger is feeling)
    “He threw today. It was a little sore. Who knows, we may have him, but I’m not going to count on it. They gave him some treatment this afternoon, and we’ll see. He has to feel good about the shoulder holding together and playing. The structure has never been an issue. It’s just the pain that...
    -12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
  • RamWraith
    Linehan and others comments
    by RamWraith
    Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 17, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

The out players are (WR) (Drew) Bennett and (WR) (Keenan) Burton. Burton did have the scope yesterday afternoon, everything went great, wasn’t anything more than what we thought. He’ll be out for the bye right now for him, we’ll see where he is at that point. (G) (Jacob) Bell and (DE) (Leonard) Little were limited in practice as far as their participation, but we’ll know probably by Friday, I would think, it might be a gameday decision, but probably by Friday.”

(On if there’s any lineup changes)

“Not anything yet. Even if we did we wouldn’t announce it.”

(On if there are going to more changes on the offensive side of the ball)

“Kicker. We’re not going to play (K) Josh Brown, he’s just too nervous going back to Seattle.”

(On why he doesn’t want to announce any of lineup changes)

“I don’t see an upside about having any personnel changes in what we do the week before. I don’t think there’s any upside to it as far as, given the information, it has nothing to do with giving it to you guys it has more for what we’re doing for the gameplan.”

(On the snowball effect of losing consecutive games and what’s different this week)

“Because we’ve only played two games. Really, every year is a different schedule and timing of things, all that stuff, and we didn’t play particularly well in our first two games, but we played two tough opponents that were probably preseason, Super Bowl, got a lot of accolades as to what they were going to do. We would like to be sitting here in a better situation after two games, but also knowing who we played, and it’s not like it's getting any easier, but I just feel, this is our first division game. Really all the goals we’ve set for our team are right in front of us at this point in the season. Every season, in my lifetime and it might be different for other people, but in my lifetime, has just had a unique feel or flavor to it and this will be no different in my opinion. The guys have been really, really responsive to rebounding and so we’ll see, but I just have a good feeling about it.”

(On the atmosphere and attitude on the first day of the work week)

“That’s great; actually it was really good. I didn’t expect any different, but you still have to see. Everybody in the building has to be consistent in that way and I think it’s been outstanding. Again, it’s early and we’d like to go back and have a couple do-overs, but that’s not the way life is and that’s definitely not the way football is so if we can keep our head and wits about us, we can really, really get something going at this point because it’s still early in the season and we’re in a good spot. We haven’t played in...
    -09-18-2008, 05:21 AM
  • RamWraith
    Players and Coaches Quotes from Sept. 15
    by RamWraith
    Thursday, September 15, 2005

Head Coach Mike Martz

(On whether CB Chris Johnson will be ready after a rough opening game)
    “Yeah. He just got here. We just have to work with him a little bit. If we didn’t feel confident with Chris [Johnson], obviously we wouldn’t leave him out there, which we are. We’re going to stay with him.”

(On what he likes about Chris Johnson)
    “He’s had to make a transition in different philosophies between football teams and how we do things. There’s a learning curve for him that has had to be sped up for him. I like his competitiveness, and of course his speed and athleticism is really outstanding. His issues haven’t been any of those things. He was injured. They just couldn’t wait for him. They had already replaced him. He fits in for us real well. He has a lot to bring to the table for us. He’s a veteran who hasn’t played a lot, who has great ability.”

(On how WRs Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald’s roles benefit the offense)
    “Both of these guys can start just about anywhere. We’re fortunate, in that respect, to have those kinds of receivers. Those guys are really playing at a high level. I’m very pleased with them. The biggest issue would be the emergence of the running game and the offensive line. We just have to play better everywhere. We just didn’t play well last week, but they are a terrific, terrific addition to what we do offensively.”

(On whether he has any secrets on fighting the heat gained while coaching at Arizona State)
    “No. Not really. I was there for 10 years, and I promise you it was a lot worse here last week than it ever was down there when it was 113 [degrees] during the day. My challenge to them is to come back when it’s 98 [degrees] in this humidity. If you want to make it a distraction, you can. It is what it is. It’s still 98 [degrees] on that other sideline. It just is. What we are concerned about is when we practiced in it, it beat us down. [At the] beginning of the year we really played particularly well because we worn down by the heat. Team would come in fresh and the heat didn’t seem to bother them. It’s kind of an odd thing.”

(On how Arizona’s changes to their defensive front complicate the Rams’ offensive approach)
    “It’s what we saw in the opener. We knew what they were doing. I’m sure they will have something specific for us. They have had the offseason to prepare. We are in a little bit of a different situation, and I think we should be able to adjust and focus in on what we are trying to accomplish. Every week you play, there is a potential of doing that, and everybody does that to you.”

(On if there is an advantage to knowing how QB Kurt Warner plays)
    “I don’t think so. That could be a distraction, because you start to guess, oh he’s about to do this, and it never works out that way. The best thing to do is...
    -09-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Working...
X