Start Jeff Smoker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start Jeff Smoker...

...in the NFLEurope league this year. The Rams need to get him some rep's in some live action and NFLE has been a huge benefit to quite a few qb's. At the very least, they will be able to tell if he's going to pan out or if he's just another late round qb who doesn't have what it takes.

If he can't produce in NFLE, then he probably won't be able to handle the Rams offense and/or the NFL. Plus, I would like to have someone to root for when watching the NFLE games other than some backup lineman or special teams guys. A position player from the Rams makes watching the NFLE almost bearable.

Of course, I don't even know for sure if the NFLE is going to make it much longer. I thought I had heard that one of the teams had to shut down.

Re: Start Jeff Smoker...

I would love to see Smoker at this point...hell it couldn't be any worse than last week. Give the guy a chance to see what he has got.

Comment

And on that frigid afternoon, as the sun hung low in the West, it happened. First, it was a whisper, but some day, it would rise to a torrent...

On that day... the Smokerites were born.

Comment

Still support Bulger, Avenger. But, if Bulger isn't playing and we have little chance at anything remotely good this post season, why not see if the kid can play.

I wouldn't say Smokerite, but anti-Chandlerite

Comment

Geez!!!!!

Am I really being that subtle?

Do I need to select a special Sarcasm font so people will get it when I'm just kidding around?

Comment

I got it. Just playing back :tongue:

Comment

I don't want to see Smoker this year, I want to see Bulger back. Even with his faults he's still the best the Rams have got. As far as Smoker, I want him to get some playing time in Europe to see if he can even be a backup. The Rams haven't been doing too well in the draft in recent years when it comes to qb's so I want to see if he's even worth keeping. Tony Banks, Joe Germaine, Kirk Farmer(who played so-so in NFLE last year. Better than I thought he would do) have all been so bad that they can't even hold the 2nd string job down for the Rams.

Let's see if he's got any value instead of waiting until the starter goes down and realizing we have to go out and re-sign Jamie Martin again.

...and as the fires of Hades crystalized to ice, Avenger actually added something pertinent to a thread.

Comment

Well... to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, when you put it that way, I guess I was wrong. :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by moklerman
                    I was wrong. :rolleyes:
                    That's okay.

No, really... its okay.

Look, stop beating yourself up about it, I've forgiven you. Everyone has.

Well, if you really feel that bad about it, maybe you'll find a way to make amends.

I know, Mok. I know.

Comment

NFLE would be a good training ground for him to see what he's got. It's an interesting proposition.

Comment

I agree. Start him in NFLE. I have read so much about the kid, how he is the sh**, and honestly, I was hoping to see him in action against the cats. Too bad Martz decided to keep in Grandpa Chris. I hope someone takes this suggestion....
                        temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                        RAMS!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• xfactor28
                          I'm a Smoker she's a Smoker
                          by xfactor28
                          Would'nt you like to be a Smoker too? As much as some of you like to downgrade the Rams picks, Jeff Smoker is a good qb. I have so much love for this team maybe I am looking through rose colored glasses, but he sure looked like a field general to me.
                          -09-02-2004, 11:25 PM
                        • RamWraith
                          Third Quarterback Competition Heats Up
                          by RamWraith
                          Thursday, August 18, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
                          Senior Writer

When Jeff Smoker arrived at the Four Points Sheraton for training camp, he did so knowing that there was going to be plenty of competition at the quarterback position.

Obviously, the starting job belonged to Marc Bulger, but the idea of competing with Jamie Martin for the second-string job was at the forefront of the second-year signal-callers mind.

“I didn’t come in here to sit on the bench and I want to get a chance to play so I’m going to shoot for that backup spot,” Smoker said at the time. “Hopefully nothing happens to Marc, but if something does I can get in there and do the job.”

Well, Smoker was right, there is plenty of competition at quarterback this year, but it isn’t the kind that he expected. With Bulger entrenched as the starter and Martin playing well as the backup, Smoker has finds himself engaged in a dogfight for the third and probably final quarterback spot on the roster.

In fact, Smoker might have fallen behind in his competition with Harvard rookie Ryan Fitzpatrick, at least if the first preseason game was any indication. In Friday’s game against the Bears, Fitzpatrick was the third quarterback to play, participating in about twice as many plays as Smoker.

Even in practice, Smoker has just started getting repetitions again in a backup role.

“It feels good to get in there and get some reps and make a couple mistakes here and there and be able to learn from them,” Smoker said. “One day you can do good and the next day you can do bad again. I’m just trying to steadily improve.”

With four quarterbacks and probably only three spots to go around, Smoker and Fitzpatrick appear poised to duel it out for the final spot. Fitzpatrick has nudged ahead of Smoker through his ability to retain information and willingness to take a hit in the pocket. While Smoker is probably more physically gifted, he needs to keep up in the classroom.

Those struggles have limited Smoker’s reps and increased Fitzpatrick’s.

“I wouldn’t say (I’m) worried,” Smoker said. “It’s just a little bit frustrating sometimes. Having to stand and watch is not something I’m used to. I did it last year and now this year again. It’s harder to learn when you’re watching and not getting the reps. Being the third quarterback during the season that’s what you have to do so I have to learn how to learn that way.”

Smoker has started to get opportunities in practice again and coach Mike Martz praised him for his practice earlier this week, but he still needs to prove himself. Smoker isn’t sure how much he will play Sunday at San Diego, but with it looking like Bulger could play the whole first half, chances for quarterbacks down on the depth chart might not be too plentiful.

Regardless, Smoker knows he needs to take advantage of...
                          -08-19-2005, 06:35 AM
                        • RamsFan16
                          Smoker for Consodine?
                          by RamsFan16
                          Would you trade Jeff Smoker for Sean Considine? I would maybe to shore up the secondary
                          -09-03-2005, 02:48 PM
                        • RamWraith
                          Smoker wants to compete for the No. 2 QB job
                          by RamWraith
                          By Jim Thomas
                          Of the Post-Dispatch
                          01/19/2005

After a season spent watching and learning, Jeff Smoker wants to compete for the Rams' No. 2 quarterback job in 2005.

"I'm going to give it a shot," Smoker said. "I feel like I learned a lot this year. I'm going to keep trying to improve my skills in the offseason. I'm going to work hard at it, because I don't really like to sit on the bench. This is the first time I had to do it, and I don't really enjoy it. So I'm going to work hard at getting that No. 2 spot if I can."

Of course, being the top backup guarantees nothing in terms of playing time. Then again, the Rams had to do without starter Marc Bulger for 2 3/4 games in December after he suffered a bruised throwing shoulder.

Smoker threw 42 passes in preseason play, or six more than Bulger. But once the regular season started, Smoker was relegated to No. 3 status and never appeared in a game.

Now that his rookie season's over, Smoker plans to take a couple of weeks off, and then return to St. Louis to work out, study the playbook and begin preparing for next season.

At the moment, the No. 2 job appears up for grabs. Chris Chandler isn't expected back, and Jamie Martin's contract is up.

Torry's take

Wide receiver Torry Holt believes most of the pieces are in place for the Rams' offense to regain its place among the league's elite in 2005.

"If we continue to patch up our O-line - getting guys healthy is the main thing up front," Holt said. "With the receivers we've got coming back and with Steven (Jackson). ... I think we have an offense that can put up some good numbers, can be effective, and can help this ballclub win games."

As for any concerns about defense and special teams, Holt said, "I'm going to let the people upstairs handle that. I'm going to let the coaches handle that. It's obvious that we have to improve in those areas."

Anderson's year

Dwight Anderson displayed speed, athletic ability and enthusiasm, but he also made a lot of mistakes in his rookie season. Which explains why he was a pregame inactive for four of the Rams' final seven regular-season games, as well as both postseason contests.

"It was disappointing, but it's a learning curve, too," Anderson said. "I got a chance to really be out there and really see it. Now I kind of understand what (the NFL) is like."

Anderson, a native of Jamaica, made the Rams roster as an undrafted cornerback from South Dakota. Even with that missed time in the regular season, Anderson finished tied for fifth in special teams tackles with 10.

He saw spot duty on defense in a few early-season games, and returned kickoffs against Miami on Oct. 24. Rams coaches see promise in Anderson,...
                          -01-19-2005, 06:13 AM
                        • RamsFan16
                          Rams | Smoker signed away from Philadelphia
                          by RamsFan16
                          Jeeze this is like the 3rd time this season he has been signed. This is getting old. KEEP HIM or LOSE HIM
                          -11-22-2005, 03:48 PM
                        Working...
                        X