Game Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Observations

Watched the entire game today. I can't say that I'm particularly upset because I didn't expect much to be quite honest- I thought we were in a tough spot today going to SF and playing a team that A) hammered us the 1st time we played and B) still has work to do to secure a playoff spot. Of my many observations, three things stuck out:

1) The NFL has turned the game into a complete joke in the name of "player safety". I am all for efforts to curb head injuries, eliminate cheap shots, leading with the head, etc. But it is apparent that the league doesn't want hard defense to be a part of the game anymore. You can't hit high, you can't go low, you can't have even light contact with a sliding QB, a defender is expected to adjust in mid-air on hits to an offensive player- just ridiculous. There are too many penalties called, and it sucks watching a game, getting excited after a good play and then see a flag. And it will only get worse.

For the players part, the fundamentals are atrocious- and this is a big reason for over officious refs. The form tackle has all but disappeared from defensive play, players instead trying to blast a guy without wrapping him. Players routinely grab and hold on the line of scrimmage. Rare is the punt return where there isn't a hold or block in the back. Where are all the coaching geniuses in this sport? Does ANYONE emphasize the importance of fundamentally sound ball? How hard is it to not commit a dozen penalties a game?

2) We are in dire need of another cornerback. Our guys hold, give too much cushion and generally play way beneath what is expected in a good defensive secondary. And given the fact we have an above average pass rush and linebacker play, it's all the more inexcusable because their job should be easier.

3)After watching about 800 dropped passes, I really wonder if some of these guys are the answer. We talk about "better offensive talent", but games like this illustrate just how many question marks still exist with this group. Jared Cook remains an enigma- a guy whose physique, quickness and overall talent should translate into monstrous games on a consistent basis, but too often is a dog. He drops balls, commits stupid penalties and doesn't always appear focused. Givens all but disappeared again today and had a huge drop. Pettis was a non-factor. I understand they're working with a back-up QB. But this is the time to elevate your game and help the guy out. Run the right routes and catch the football.

I can't fault the overall effort. And I think it is clear just how important the quarterback is in today's NFL.

Re: Game Observations

The biggest observation I had was the coaching. I thought they were trying to be too cute today. There were three plays specifically, the 99% make-able third and 18 inches with Stacy up the gut but instead going long to Givens and him (very predictably) dropping it while inexplicably trying to tie himself into a pretzel gain, the going for it on fourth down instead of kicking the field goal and making it a one score game (16 - 9) with 6:46 to go in the game, and the very ill timed fake punt.

The Rams should have stubbornly stayed with what has gotten them decisive wins the last two weeks - the run. By the forth quarter, the niner defense was starting to crack a little with Stacy and Cunningham starting to gash them up the middle. I feel if they had stayed with smash-mouth football and stayed away from the trickeration this week, they would still be playing in OT (16-16).

Comment

Savage, with 646 to go in the game we were down 23-6 when we went for it on fourth down. The field goal would not have made it a one score game, it would have made it a two score game and i think it was the right call. The fake punt was a good call and bad execution, if we get the one block the pitch to bailey is open for the first down. Lets face it, we werent going to drive the ball down the field against them for two td's with our offense today, we needed to try something.

Agree completely that corner is a real need. I think there is a real chance we will take one in round one.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

You're right GC, I forgot the fake punt and niner TD happened before the Rams went for it instead of kicking the FG.

I still think the fake punt was not a good call. There was 14:42 still left to go in the forth, with them down by only ten.

Nonetheless, they abandoned the run too quickly IMO. Relying on Clemens and the inconsistent play of the recievers to win this game was an overall bad decision.

Comment

I didn't get to watch the game, but per ESPN the Defense had 11 TFLs. That's pretty impressive. Looks like the Run D was solid today.

Any thoughts from someone who was able to watch the game?
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

The defense kept the Rams in the game. I don't recall if it was late in the 1st or some time in the 2nd Q but there was a stat that said the Rams had run a total of 6 plays for 11 total yards. Later in the 2nd, the Rams had been penalized for 60yds and the offense had only gained 57yds.

If it was not for the play of the D, it would have been a blowout.
            Last edited by isaacbruce4ever; -12-01-2013, 08:28 PM.
            “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

I watched the game as it was a local telecast for me. My initial thought was Kellen Clements is the back-up we thought he was. Serviceable bit frequently inaccurate and doesn't place the ball always where the receiver can catch it. Aside from that Chris Givens lasted till round 4 for a reason, he drops a lot of balls. I still like him and am glad we have him, but he's not a dependable WR, unless perhaps Sam is throwing to him. The fake punt was a good move at the time. We had a chance to extend the drive because it's tough to move the ball consistently on the *****. I think we got beat by a better team today. As the announcers said frequently to my surprise, we are a good young team with a bright future, and that's exactly what we are. The effort and determination was there and the TFL's was impressive. Make no mistake SF knew they were in a football game today. One last point, I do hope Jared Cook becomes more relaible as a receiver as we're paying him huge $ and he should be doing better.

NJ, I agree with your points about the flags its getting absurd. Dunbar's penalty was a bad call. Forgot to add, I thought it was ironic that our touchdown came on the play we tried on 4th down vs Seattle, a lob pass to Quick. How diffrent our season might have been if it had worked back then.

Go Rams!
              Last edited by mde8352gorams; -12-01-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Failure to execute throughout the game doomed the offense,imo, but I was really puzzled by that slow deliberate drive that led to the failed 4th &11. These guys can't run the sugar huddle ? you can still run the ball & play with a sense of freakin' urgency. Nor do I agree with the decision not to take the FG. Take the points & don't concede the game with 5-6 mins left.

And why so little Benny or at least try to get Pead involved as a pass catcher ? Did Kendricks even play ?

Comment

I almost broke my tv trying to punch kaepernick in the face. lol. This safety rule is BS and only benefits QBs? So he can just slide into a defender anytime he wants and that defender has to be a ninja to avoid a penalty? After he got cocky about it, the ref should've flagged Kap for taunting. That would of been fair.

Comment

Just a frustrating, agonizing experience all around. Agonizing because the Rams could have gone toe to toe with the whiners the entire game had it not been for the multitude of penalties, numerous dropped passes, and misplaced gimmick plays.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
                      Rams 85 Bears (wait, i meant the Jaguars) 34-20; The Good, Bad and Ugly (from Row 1)
                      by general counsel
                      The Rams defeated the (not) Super Bowl bound Jaguars 34-20 yesterday in a game that showed flashes of our young squad's promise, while also reminding Rams Nation why we have struggled and why we are concerned about what's to come this season. With the Jaguars minus their top 2 offensive tackles (Monroe traded away and Joeckel out early in the game with a knee injury), one would have thought that the Rams pass rush woes and defensive line struggles would have been cured, at least for a week. Alas,...
                      -10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
                    • general counsel
                      Rams implode in 20-6 loss to seachickens; The Good, Bad and Ugly
                      by general counsel
                      The Rams played valiant, tough and gutsy football today, but imploded with three fourth quarter turnovers in losing to the defending super bowl champion seachickens 20-6 in the NFL's most hostile road environment. Today was a nice microcosm of the Rams season, excellent play in spurts, short periods of self-destruction, poor offensive play, and not enough defense to find a way to beat a top caliber team on the road. Make no mistake, the Rams lost to a better team today, but in watching this game, its easy to see why the chickens have a legitimate shot of winning a second super bowl in a row and the Rams wound up a disappointing 6-10. The Rams played hard nosed football today, without all the cheap crap that we saw last week against the Giants, but we simply dont have enough play at qb or offensive line to beat a team like seattle without a bunch of gimic special team plays. The Rams were in the game in the 4th quarter, which is all coach fisher could have asked for going into this week.

The Good

Aaron Donald is a superstar for years to come. 7 tackles, his 9th sack two tackles for loss, disruptive all game long. Clearly our best player on defense (other other pro bowler quinn had one tackle).

The defense had an excellent game and clearly played well enough to win. The first half defense was as good as it gets in the NFL against a team of that caliber (this was not washington or oakland). They rallied really nicely to close out the season after a terrible performance last week. With two exceptions (see below in bad section on janoris), we didnt allow big plays (our offense allowed them enough big plays to win the game) and while they wound up with 354 total yards, the defense effectively held them to 13 points and 7 of those came after we gave them the ball at just about midfield after a turnover. Against seattle on the road (a team that ran up 600 yards of offense last week against a terrific arizona defense), you have to be happy with that performance. Forcing two turnovers was a nice change from the last two weeks, and once again, we found an effective pass rush with three sacks and really nice contain on Wilson. We kept him in the pocket almost all game, and that is the blueprint for how you beat Seattle (assuming you have something that resembles a functional offense and you dont turn the ball over).

Great forced fumble by Tree on Lynch. Barron played well and had a nice sack and a number of pressures and contains on Lynch. Great trade, i think Barron will do really well for us next year. Nice sack for Joyner, we held up pretty well today without our best corner in Gaines who was out with the blow to the head from last week.

Another great game by Hekker, who got screwed on the pro bowl voting. 5 punts, 49.4 and one inside the 20, including a couple of bombs to get us out of trouble from deep in our own zone.

Nice to see Leg hit the...
                      -12-28-2014, 05:20 PM
                    • general counsel
                      Rams resurrect playoff chances with 28-26 win over Seachickens; The Good, Bad & Ugly
                      by general counsel
                      Instead of finding a way to lose, the Rams utilized a special teams performance for the ages to find a way to win, beating the seachickens 28-26 in a game that came as close as possible to providing cardiac arrest throughout Rams Nation (especially in my house). The Seachickens, looking like anything but defending super bowl champions, were outcoached, outsmarted, outdisciplined and defeated, despite outgaining the rams materially (463-272 in yardage), winning the battle of time of possession, and running almost 20 more plays than the Rams. Admit it guys, given our recent history of blowing leads, you had to feel pretty lousy punting from our own 15 with 3 minutes left, up by 2, knowing that the chickens had scored on three long TD drives in the second half and that our defense was showing signs of a full blown collapse through evaporation of our newly found effective pass rush which we displayed in the first half. WHAM, Coach Fisher pulls off one of the gutsiest calls in recent Rams history and Hekker and Benny execute to perfection, giving us one of the more improbable first downs imaginable in that game situation. Not to be outdone, Tre Mason, in his coming out party game, puts the ball on the turf on a game clinching first down run, but somehow the Rams manage to catch a break from the refs and get credit for recovering the fumble despite Harkey's inability to fall on it cleanly when he had no one else around him. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good and our Rams will take all the breaks they can get. A win is a win, and a win over the seachickens is always something to celebrate.

The Good

Special Teams. 75 yard kickoff return for Benny that set up a TD. The most incredible fake punt return TD runback you will ever see and of course, the great execution on the fake punt at the end of the game. Coach and the staff deserve all the credit in the world for spotting Ryan's tendency to kick to his left, and with Austin and the Rams blockers heading to Ryan's right, the chickens followed austin like sheep while Stedman Bailey makes an over the shoulder catch and runs 90 yards. Truly an incredible play and it was about both coaching and execution. And no Pete, Tavon did NOT signal for a fair catch you whiner! The special teams performance is especially sweet overcoming consecutive weeks of blocked punts.

Aaron Donald was a monster. 5 tackles, a sack, three tackles for loss and around the ball a lot more than that. Superstar potential for sure.

Tre Mason 18-85 had a strong game despite the fumble at the end. He has to continue to get more and more touches. The question is whether Zac Stacy was really healthy today. I appreciate that Moose Johnson said he was healthy, but that is not consistent with the injury reports all week. We will see next week vs KC whether Zac plays or whether Mason gets close to all the reps again.

Offensive line. No sacks allowed....
                      -10-19-2014, 11:39 PM
                    • general counsel
                      Rams 85 Bears (wait, i meant the Jaguars) 34-20; The Good, Bad and Ugly (from Row 1)
                      by general counsel
                      The Rams defeated the (not) Super Bowl bound Jaguars 34-20 yesterday in a game that showed flashes of our young squad's promise, while also reminding Rams Nation why we have struggled and why we are concerned about what's to come this season. With the Jaguars minus their top 2 offensive tackles (Monroe traded away and Joeckel out early in the game with a knee injury), one would have thought that the Rams pass rush woes and defensive line struggles would have been cured, at least for a week. Alas, that was not the case. The Jaguars, with Dan Hampton and Richard Dent inserted into their defensive line, hit and rushed Bradford early and often, with the exception of two very good long drives, raising further concerns about the offensive line. True, the offensive line showed a pulse, providing some running room for the backs and some solid protection from time to time, but lest we all get too excited, we do need to consider the level of competition. The turnovers were really the difference in this game, and you would have hoped that the Rams would not be in a 7 point game at home vs Jacksonville in the 4th quarter, but at this point, i strongly suggest that we all celebrate the win and take what we can get, because if we dont play a LOT better, the next three weeks (Houston and Carolina on the road and Seattle at home) aren't going to be pretty. My daughters and i were in the front row directly behind the Rams bench so we had a fantastic view of what was going on both on the field and on the sideline.

The Good

When given time, Sammy was accurate and threw three nice TD's. The last one to Pettis was a great throw. Sammy can get better for sure. I havent seen the replay, but i suspect that sammy should have gotten the ball out a little sooner on the long pass to givens. The throw appeared perfect from where i was sitting, but givens had about a step and a half and looked like he had to wait for it. The defender made a great play on the ball. One really interesting point. I know people have been on Sammy for checking down a lot and throwing underneath. I was sitting about 6 feet from Schotty when he was talking to Sammy between series' and watching the dialogue between Sammy and Schotty as Sammy came to the sidelines and i am more convinced than ever that Sammy is being coached to dump off and throw short to the tight ends rather than hold the ball longer and try to get it down the field. The drops are really frustrating Sammy. You can see it on his face close up on the field and when he comes off the field and talks to the receivers and i dont blame him. Austin is good personally for two drops a game. Sammy missed on throw to Pettis on a third down over the middle where Pettis was open, and its impossible to tell whether the throw was off or Pettis was a step off of where he was supposed to be. What i can tell you is that the two of them had a conversation after that play but i couldnt hear what they...
                      -10-07-2013, 09:24 AM
                    • general counsel
                      Rams overpowered by Whiners in 23-13 Loss; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
                      by general counsel
                      The young Rams were overpowered and defeated by a better team on the road today in a 23-13 loss. To win this game with a backup qb, the Rams were going to have to take advantage of every opportunity, play a really clean game, and make plays. Unfortunately, they did not do so and lacked the firepower to stay in the game into the fourth quarter. The Rams fought hard and did some good things today, but this was the kind of game where you could really see the difference between Clemens and Sammy,...
                      -12-02-2013, 11:15 AM
                    Working...
                    X