• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View from planet Martz

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Monday, Dec. 20 2004

Rumors to the contrary, Rams coach Mike Martz has no plans to step down, and
    Rams president John Shaw said the team has no plans to shove him out the door,
    either.

"He's not in trouble," Shaw said in a telephone interview Monday night. "The
    team is struggling right now and having a hard time winning games. We have to
    work on getting it better."

Shaw said firing Martz has not been contemplated by the organization.

"It totally hasn't entered my mind," Shaw said. "His record speaks for itself.
    He has the complete support of (owner) Georgia (Frontiere) and myself at this
    point."

Martz is 51-32 in nearly five seasons with the club, including three playoff
    berths, two division titles and one Super Bowl appearance.

Earlier in the day, at his regular Monday afternoon news conference, Martz
    responded to media reports that he might resign if things didn't go well for
    him the rest of this season.

"No, I would never resign from this job," Martz said. "I love this job. I would
    never leave these guys. I wouldn't do that to this staff or these players. Like
    I've told you many times, I'm too connected to this group - to this team.
    There's no team that I would rather coach than this team regardless of the
    record.

"There's something special about these guys. We're building. We've got a real
    solid crew of young players, and it's going to eventually be a terrific
    football team. I'm not going to ever walk away from something like that."

As he has mentioned in the past, Martz said he's coaching because he wants to
    coach, not because he needs the money.

"I love being here," he said. "And that hasn't changed. We're going to forge
    on, and get this thing back up and running the way it should be. And that's how
    I look at it. I don't know any other way. That's just how I live my life. I'm
    one of those guys where the glass is always half full. Not empty. And
    sometimes, it's hard to look at it like that. But no. No. This guy's not going
    anywhere. No way, Jose."

When asked if he thought the team's last two games might factor into his job
    security, Martz said: "I don't know how to answer that. I guess you should
    probably answer that. I can't tell you that.

"I would assume that we're going to play as well as we possibly can these last
    two games. We know what our shortcomings are. We understand what needs to be
    done, and where we need to fix things and get better at."

That being said, the team's performance over the past two months has been just
    short of abysmal. After a 4-2 start, the Rams have lost six of their past eight
    games. Making matters worse, the team hasn't really been competitive in any of
    those six most recent losses.

Beginning with the shocking 31-14 loss to previously winless Miami on Oct. 24,
    the Rams have been outscored 34-14 in those six setbacks, with five of the six
    coming on the road. Most mind-boggling to Martz is the team's offensive
    ineptitude the past two games without injured quarterback Marc Bulger.

The Rams have scored only 14 points in their past two games with Chris Chandler
    as the starting quarterback. And seven of those points came from the defense -
    Leonard Little's 61-yard return of a recovered fumble against Arizona.

Sunday's 185 yards against the Big Red was the seventh-lowest offensive output
    for the Rams since their move to St. Louis in 1995.

Chandler's ineptitude, and the fact that the Rams were starting two
    inexperienced offensive linemen in Larry Turner and Blaine Saipaia, obviously
    had something to do with the offensive struggles. Nonetheless, the fact that
    the team had a season-low 10 rushing attempts against Arizona's 30th-ranked
    rushing defense remains baffling. As does the fact that first-round draft pick
    Steven Jackson, who's averaging 5 yards a carry, didn't play.

"Marshall (Faulk) stayed in the game for protection purposes," Martz said. "All
    the things that they were doing, I'm not sure that Steven would have been able
    to deal with. In fact, I know he wouldn't have been able to deal with some of
    the pickups that we were asking him to do."

It was a puzzling statement considering Martz said about a month ago that he
    had complete confidence in Jackson's blitz-pickup abilities.

Martz also repeated on Monday the startling admission that he didn't really
    know whether Jackson was in the game against Arizona.

"How can I know?" Martz asked. "How can I call plays and do all that stuff, and
    watch the defense? In the past, I'd say, 'Make sure that so-and-so is in
    there.' Or if Marshall came out, which he very uncharacteristically would, I
    see that. But I just don't concern myself with that.

"I (leave) that judgment to Marshall (Faulk) and to (running backs coach)
    Wilbert (Montgomery), and well I should. I trust both of them very much. And
    the judgment was that we needed Marshall in there for the protections.
    Obviously, he ran very well. And very tough."

Faulk gained 22 yards in 10 carries - an average of 2.2 yards a carry.

"Why Steven Jackson's an issue in not playing ... it kind of surprises me,"
    Martz said. "It takes me back a little bit."
    Last edited by RamWraith; -12-21-2004, 05:27 AM.

Re: View from planet Martz

Martz haters and bashers.

Please take notes, he is here to stay at least one more year. There is no longer any need to call for the guys head. As much as you dislike him and his régime you will need to suck it up for one more year.

Comment

Just because he purportedly has some support, it does not mean he will be back next year.

Comment

Please try to distinguish between two categories:

1. Martz haters/bashers; and
        2. Former Martz supporters who have changed their mind and would prefer the Rams go in a new direction.

It is unfair and inaccurate to lump these two categories together.

If Martz, in fact, stays, I will accept it and throw my support behind him for another year. Right now, though, I would be happier to hear he was being replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam

2. Former Martz supporters who have changed their mind and would prefer the Rams go in a new direction.

If Martz, in fact, stays, I will accept it and throw my support behind him for another year. Right now, though, I would be happier to hear he was being replaced.
          ...and this is exactly how some of us have felt in the whole Warnerites (Ram fans who did and continue to appreciate the accomplishments of Kurt Warner) vs. Uber-Warnerites (Did you know Kurt invented spandex, gravity & the question mark) discussion.

Which reminds me, we never did settle on a proper distinction between these two groups.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
            ...and this is exactly how some of us have felt in the whole Warnerites (Ram fans who did and continue to appreciate the accomplishments of Kurt Warner) vs. Uber-Warnerites (Did you know Kurt invented spandex, gravity & the question mark) discussion.

Which reminds me, we never did settle on a proper distinction between these two groups.
            Oh dear heavens, what have I done?!?!

Disclaimer: this thread is not about Warner. I did not intend to move it in that direction. I was merely throwing out a comparison that some of us have been dealing with over the past few months with the statement that the new Avenger has taken regarding Martz.

I repeat --- this thread is not about Warner.

Comment

Well, pursuant to the Treaty (see post on NFL board from a few weeks ago), I no longer use the term "Warnerite."

That said, the real difference is that there are, in fact, true "Martz-haters" out there, but I don't know any Ram fan who hates Kurt Warner.

Comment

LOLOLOL

Hey dude.. what goes around COMES around..... just because a few of us are quick studies and can read the tea leaves faster than others doesn't mean you're any different than us.... as much as you might want to protest... at the end of the day you've come to the conclusion that Martz ain't the guy.

So... welcome to the club! Took ya long enough.. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Well, well, well....my Christmas present came true. All you fans who wanted to lop of the King's head have to put up with Martzie at least one more year....

I'm smiling now after hearing the groans and sighs from the malcontents.....

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger
                    Well, pursuant to the Treaty (see post on NFL board from a few weeks ago), I no longer use the term "Warnerite."
                    Ah yes, forgot about the treaty, which is bad because I too signed the treaty. Well, fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by atcchris
                      LOLOLOL

Hey dude.. what goes around COMES around..... just because a few of us are quick studies and can read the tea leaves faster than others doesn't mean you're any different than us.... as much as you might want to protest... at the end of the day you've come to the conclusion that Martz ain't the guy.

So... welcome to the club! Took ya long enough.. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                      Believe me atc, I'd never want to be a member of any club that would have you as a member.

You are not a quick study. Your reasons for being a Martz-basher are almost entirely wrong. I on the other hand, have actually given it some thought and have come to my opinion after a careful analysis.

Truth is, nothing has changed. When I ultimately concluded that Warner should go (again, that was hardly a knee jerk reaction), I was labeled a Warner-hater. Now, when I have concluded that Martz should go, I'm labeled a Martz-hater.

Neither characterization is accurate, but some don't have the capacity to argue a point, so they resort to nonsense labels.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                        Well, well, well....my Christmas present came true. All you fans who wanted to lop of the King's head have to put up with Martzie at least one more year....

I'm smiling now after hearing the groans and sighs from the malcontents.....
                        I won't groan or sigh if Martz stays. To the contrary, I'll throw my full support behind him and resume my optimism for his improvement. If it was my decision, he'd be gone. But its not, and I will support the team no matter who the head coach is.

Comment

Believe me atc, I'd never want to be a member of any club that would have you as a member.

You are not a quick study. Your reasons for being a Martz-basher are almost entirely wrong. I on the other hand, have actually given it some thought and have come to my opinion after a careful analysis.

Truth is, nothing has changed. When I ultimately concluded that Warner should go (again, that was hardly a knee jerk reaction), I was labeled a Warner-hater. Now, when I have concluded that Martz should go, I'm labeled a Martz-hater.

Neither characterization is accurate, but some don't have the capacity to argue a point, so they resort to nonsense labels.
                          Methinks he doth protest too much... LOL

Comment

Re: View from "Planet Martz"

Originally posted by RamWraith
                            As much as you dislike him and his régime ...
                            For the record one last time, it is not sMartz and his regime I dislike. It's Georgia and her regime that I dislike. More specifically, it's Georgia and Shaw I dislike. Everything else is just kicking the dog after that.

Comment

Well, prior to the game, at a watering hole, ( packed with Ram fans), across the street from the stadium. I was talking to a gent who claimed to be a relative of someone in the front office. He said that some of the players are not very happy playing for Martz. After the lack of effort displayed on the field, I can see where that might be true. :upset:
                              JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
                              :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
                              Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ramavenger
                                Martz rumors unnerved team
                                by ramavenger
                                Martz rumors unnerved team
                                By Jim Thomas
                                Of the Post-Dispatch
                                12/23/2004

St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz
                                (Alan Diaz/AP)

Story continues below adMike Martz was getting ready to board the team bus Saturday afternoon for the drive to Lambert Airport and the flight to Arizona when he got a call from ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

"He wanted to know if there was any chance that I wouldn't be here next year," Martz said.

As in fired or resigned. Martz said no, he didn't plan on resigning and didn't think he was about to be fired.

"If it were true, then you deal with it, that's fine," Martz said. "But when it's not true, it's just maddening and aggravating."

Martz said he didn't know until after the Rams' 31-7 loss to Arizona that Mortensen reported Sunday morning that Martz could be in trouble at the end of this season.

But with the Rams playing a late game against the Cardinals, apparently several players watched or heard about the report on television in their hotel rooms.

"So the players were very, very concerned and upset when they got on the bus to go to this game," Martz said. "Well, that was a nice, warm, fuzzy way to play a game. I didn't know about it till after the game, because nobody wanted to tell me."

Martz said that after the game "a couple of the (assistant) coaches had relayed the concern from players. ... It was an emotional thing before the game for some guys. I'm very close to some of these guys.

"It was very divisive, destructive and did hurt this football team. Not because they love me or anything else like that. It's just disruptive. Guys are always worried about their future. But (assistant) coaches are worried about it, too."

Just to make sure, Martz said he spoke with team owner Georgia Frontiere and club president John Shaw about his status after the Sunday report.

"Georgia was very encouraging," Martz said.

Shaw told the Post-Dispatch on Monday that Martz had the "complete support" of the organization, and that the possibility of firing Martz "totally hasn't entered my mind."

When Martz addressed the team at a meeting Monday, he told them he was not resigning and was in no danger of being fired.

On Thursday, Martz said Shaw's words of support helped a great deal.

"The one thing that's been constant for me in my tenure here, that's never wavered, has been John Shaw," Martz said. "Everything he says is absolutely the way it is. So I feel at peace with all that. He knows we're busting our butts trying to get this thing done. He knows the issues that we have, and what we're dealing with. He understands all those things. And he's trying...
                                -12-24-2004, 04:41 AM
                              • eldfan
                                Let's hope Martz proves us wrong with his madness
                                by eldfan
                                Let's hope Martz proves us wrong with his madness
                                By Bryan Burwell
                                Of the Post-Dispatch
                                09/27/2004

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell

If most of the football world already thought Mike Martz was a maddeningly stubborn football eccentric more than willing to bite off his nose to spite his face, wait until they get a load of him now.

At his Monday afternoon news conference at Rams Park, the Rams head coach fiercely defended his swashbuckling way of football life as if ... well, as if his life depended on it, which in a way it probably does. He is coaching an obviously flawed football team with a 1-2 record and a defense that is springing more leaks than the Titanic. But as Martz relies on his signature aggressive offensive methods for rescuing this young but very shaky season, he knows he's being confronted with outside resistance.

He is surrounded by a world full of conventional football thinkers who want to fit this aggressive, damn-the-torpedoes square peg into a very conservative round hole. We want him to play it by the old-school book. If the defense can't stop anyone - and after three weeks of play, there is faint evidence that this bloodied and battered group can - then why not go with a clock-gobbling, smash-mouth style of offense that relies on Marshall Faulk's fleet feet and Steven Jackson's brutish blasts?

In essence, what we want is for Martz to stay inside the lines, which of course is just about the most repugnant thing you can say to a guy with his aggressive offensive temperament. Why not just ask dogs to start living with cats?

"Look ... look ... don't ... uhhh," he said, practically spitting out the words like they were a bad piece of meat. "You need to find another coach, then. We're going to play fast and furious, that's what we do. We're going to run it when we ... want to run it, not because somebody (uh, that would be you and me) feels like you have to be balanced."

He smiled almost defiantly when he said that. And just in case you didn't understand it the first time, Martz put this exclamation point on his soliloquy:

"That's the way it is. Get used to it. That's the way it is."

Now here's what I learned from this rather revealing State of the Rams address: Mike Martz doesn't particularly care what the outside world thinks he should do. He has a plan, and he's going to stick with it. It may not be the plan you want, but it's the plan you're going to get. And here's something else gleaned from Martz's feisty words: He will get every opportunity over the next 13 weeks to either sink or swim with his convictions.

I don't presume to know more about football than Martz. His credentials as an offensive innovator and a football motivator are certified by his impressive NFL head-coaching won-loss record, a trip to the Super Bowl, and...
                                -09-28-2004, 05:41 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Martz does things his own way--ESPN Insider
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jeff Reynolds
                                Pro Football Weekly

ST. LOUIS – It's June 1, and the temperature, climbing above 85 degrees on a cloudless day at a tucked-away corporate park west of St. Louis, creates the slightest haze outside the oversized windows at Rams Park.

The blinds, tilted upward in his second-floor corner office, rob Rams head coach Mike Martz of a view of an empty practice field and a justifiably quiet blacktop parking lot.

Even in a navy and gray floral printed polo shirt embroidered with the logo of a past golf tournament, Martz portrays perfectly the image of a studious football coach. Angling toward the front edge of his mahogany U-shaped desk, Martz shifts an iced Diet Pepsi to the right to uncover a bound, double-sided printout. The standard white, 8˝-by-11-inch paper stands about two inches thick, lying flat in Martz's outstretched hand.

"Third-down plays we had ready and never called," Martz says, a sense of dissatisfaction in his voice. "We don't have a playbook. We have a book with the system in it as described with some of the base offense. If you put everything together on that top rack , that is about half of what we do. … It's never-ending."

Mike Martz has a 51-29 regular-season record as the Rams head coach.This is Mike Martz, the subject of justifiably passionate debate among football fans who can't agree whether he's brilliant, smarmy, stubborn, ignorant or some combination of those traits. The man often portrayed as a prima-donna dictator displays only pictures of his dogs, Rocky and Buddy, and his family. There is no Super Bowl ring, no glamorous display of career achievements. Nothing that says Martz is the extroverted narcissist many assume him to be.

He is asked about defensive coordinator Larry Marmie, who has been ridiculed frequently since replacing Lovie Smith, who went on to become the head coach of the Bears.

"Criticism, most often, is without understanding," Martz says in a persuasive tone, sounding like an attorney during closing arguments.

He's not back on his heels, but there is evidence in his irritatingly relaxed posture that Martz has been here before.

Many things make Martz an easy target. For one, his offense sits with some traditionalists – the 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust generation – as well as poetry does with a butcher. He also refuses to bother with self-defense, leading second-guessers to keep guessing. Take Super Bowl XXXVI for example, a loss that one confidant says still "haunts him" as has been widely speculated.

Smith, who worked with Martz at Arizona State, was on the St. Louis coaching staff from 2001-03 and called that game "the toughest loss I've ever been a part of."

The Rams lost to the Patriots 20-17 on a last-second field goal, and following the game, the Rams'...
                                -06-30-2005, 01:01 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Martz: "I'm not quitting."
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Martz: I'm not quitting

R.B. FALLSTROM

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - As bleak as the situation looks, there's no giving up for St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz.

Martz, whose fifth season with the team has been a semi-disaster, on Monday had a strong rebuttal to an ESPN report that he might consider quitting. The Rams were among the preseason Super Bowl favorites after going 12-4 last year but are 6-8 heading into the final two games.

"I would never resign from this job," Martz said. "I love this job and I would never leave these guys. We've got a real solid crew of young players and it's going to eventually be a terrific team, and I'm not going to ever walk away from something like that."

Martz has two years left on a contract that pays him $3.5 million annually, and he noted that he's financially secure.

"I coach because I want to coach, and I love being here," Martz said. "That hasn't changed. We're going to forge on and get this thing back up and running the way it should be.

"I'm one of those guys where that glass is always half-full and not empty. Sometimes it's hard to look at it like that but no, no, this guy's not going anywhere. No way, Jose."

Martz is 51-32, counting the playoffs, since leading the Rams to their first Super Bowl championship as Dick Vermeil's offensive coordinator in 1999 and led the Rams to a 14-2 record and his own Super Bowl in 2002. This year has unraveled due to big problems early on with shaky defense and special teams, and lately with what used to be a high-powered offense.

But this is where he wants to stay. Martz noted that earlier in the season he shot down speculation he'd be interested in the Dolphins vacancy.

"This is where I want to retire," Martz said. "I have no interest in ever coaching for any other NFL team. We love living here, we love the organization."

Martz hopes the return of quarterback Marc Bulger after missing two weeks with a bruised right shoulder can reinvigorate an offense that produced one touchdown while he was out. Bulger threw again on Monday with minimal problems.

"He's ready to go," Martz said. "He's got very little effect on the followthrough, which is really the biggest concern."

Backup Chris Chandler, 39, has been a major disappointment and might get released. He threw six interceptions last week in a loss at Carolina, then got yanked after going 1-for-6 for 1 yard and producing zero first downs in the first quarter of Sunday's 31-7 loss at Arizona.

Jamie Martin, signed on Dec. 7 after being out of the NFL for more than a year, is the likely backup this week after playing the last three quarters on Sunday.

"I believe in him," Martz said. "He's...
                                -12-20-2004, 03:48 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                So long, at least for now
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                10/24/2005

Mike Martz is gone for the season. But will he be gone for good?

On a day Martz announced he has been advised by his doctor to sit out the rest of the season for health reasons, the infighting continued at Rams Park.

Although Martz said it was his intention to coach the Rams next season, team president John Shaw stopped short of saying Martz would be back in 2006 under any and all circumstances.

When asked Monday if Martz unequivocally would be back in 2006, Shaw said: "There's still some uncertainty about how long it will take him to recover and when he recovers. We will watch as Mike gets better over the next several months.

"We will watch the performance of the team over the next several months, and we'll make decisions at that time as to what's best for Mike, and what's best for the football program. But as I speak to you today, I fully expect that Mike will be our coach next year."

And Martz took umbrage at Shaw's statement Monday that Martz wanted a live phone line brought into the coach's box during Sunday's 28-17 victory over New Orleans so that he could communicate with offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild.

"I did not want an open line to the press box," Martz told the Post-Dispatch. "That would be unfair to Steve. But if I wanted an open line, isn't that my prerogative as head coach? This is all so bizarre."

Martz said that Fairchild called him at halftime to go over a few things. But halftime is only 12 minutes, and between the walk to the locker room, the walk back to the field, and Fairchild addressing the offense in the locker room, there wasn't much time to talk to Martz. So according to Martz, he and Fairchild agreed to talk in the second half.

Martz wanted to remind Fairchild of some thoughts on the red zone offense, and the "four-minute" drill - coaching jargon for the team's offense to run out the clock with the lead late in the game. But when Martz sent Dan Linza, the Rams security director, to the coach's box at the Edward Jones Dome, Linza was prevented from entering by Jay Zymunt, the Rams' director of football operations.

"Jay brought (Linza) to me," Shaw said. "To me, the issue was whether we wanted an outside live phone into the coaches box. I made a decision that it shouldn't be allowed.

"I was under the impression, as was everybody in the organization, that whatever Mike's input would be, he would do that either prior to the game or during the week."

Which was news to Martz. "If that was the desire of the organization - not to have a live phone line - why wouldn't they tell me?" Martz said. "Why would the organization make that decision and not tell me?"

Earlier in his news conference...
                                -10-25-2005, 05:02 AM
                              Working...
                              X