• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcus Roberson

Marcus Roberson to enter NFL draft
    Updated: January 3, 2014, 6:29 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Florida cornerback Marcus Roberson will pass up his final year with the Gators and enter the NFL draft, the school announced Friday.

SportsFlorida cornerback Marcus Roberson will forego his senior season to enter the NFL draft.

After recovering from knee and ankle injuries, Roberson had 11 tackles and broke up three passes in seven games this season. He had 56 tackles, 17 pass breakups and three interceptions in his career.

ESPN's Todd McShay and Scouts Inc. consider Roberson to be a likely late-first-round pick in the May draft.

"I'm very thankful of everyone at Florida that helped me to get to this point in my career, from Tony Meacham, my academic adviser, to Jeff Dillman to Coach Muschamp and the entire coaching staff," Roberson said in a statement released by the Gators. "It's been a great experience here, and now that it is over I can truly appreciate everything that is in place here for players to be successful and have an opportunity to play at the next level."

Roberson was an All-SEC second-team selection in 2012.

The move leaves Florida extremely thin at cornerback. Roberson is the second Florida corner to declare early for the draft this year after Loucheiz Purifoy said he will turn pro in November. Defensive tackle Dominique Easley has also said he is leaving Florida early to enter the draft.

"Marcus has informed me that he has made the decision to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL," Florida coach Will Muschamp said. "Marcus was part of our first recruiting class, and it was a pleasure watching him mature and develop both on and off the field during his time here. I look forward to watching him play on Sundays, and like all of our players, I encourage them to return to complete his degree."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By Arjuna Ramgopal

WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’€™s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
    Marcus Roberson (AP)

Marcus Roberson (right) struggled with injuries at Florida, missing five games in 2013, and did not impress at the combine. (AP)

MARCUS ROBERSON

Position: Cornerback

School: Florida

Height: 6-foot-0

Weight: 191 pounds

Achievements: 2012 AP All-SEC second team

What he brings: A good-sized corner, Roberson is a tough, physical player who has good ability and instincts. While he can get too reliant on his frame and commit infractions down the field, Roberson presents as an ideal corner for the NFL. However, his 4.61 40-yard dash at the scouting combine is a concern, showing a lack of top-end speed. And while Roberson is willing to tackle, he lacks ideal strength and can get manhandled in the run game. Roberson only benched 225 pounds eight times at the combine. Roberson also has injury concerns, battling ankle and knee injuries throughout his time at Florida.

Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2

Notes: Roberson missed five games as a junior in 2013 due to injury. He finished with 11 tackles and three pass breakups. He only had three career interceptions. … Roberson was arrested for underage drinking in September 2011. He also was suspended for a game in 2013 for violating team rules.

Ok so what happen to make him go undrafted? Thoughts? Did we score on this guy?

Re: Marcus Roberson

I love this pickup. I was really hoping we would have taken him in the 7th round. I know a little while ago Dane Brugler had Roberson as a top 30 prospect and potentially even the #1 CB.

Roberson is a very technically sound player. Everything you want in a corner he possesses. I know he's had injury issues as well as off-field concerns, no clue why he slipped this badly though.

Comment

He needs to get, and stay, healthy.

Comment

Marcus Roberson (right) struggled with injuries at Florida, missing five games in 2013, and did not impress at the combine. (AP)
        Wonder if he'll be able to overcome this injury stigma.

Undrafted Free Agents 2014:
        St. Louis Rams sign Florida CB Marcus Roberson

Fansided / BY PATRICK SCHMIDT
        MAY 12TH, 2014 AT 3:48 PM

Marcus Roberson didn’t hear his name called during the 2014 NFL Draft which had to be a stunning and jarring surprise for the former Florida Gators cornerback who had been viewed as a first round pick earlier in the college football season.

Despite not hearing his name called during the seven rounds, Roberson will have a chance to make an NFL roster after the St. Louis Rams signed him as an undrafted free agent.

Roberson had a disappointing junior season that saw him miss games due to a lingering knee injury and subsequently ran a sluggish time in the 40 and was even suspended for violation of team rules in a perfect storm of destroying your draft stock.

Ranked as the No. 103 player on Todd McShay’s prospect list, Roberson has the skills to be a worthwhile risk for the Rams who had one of the best drafts–at least on paper–and perhaps he can learn a thing or two from former Florida cornerback and current Rams No. 1 corner, Janoris Jenkins, who was dismissed from Florida and had to rehab his stock after experiencing some off-the-field incidents.

Roberson appeared in 30 games in his college career with 56 combined tackles, three interceptions, 1.5 sacks and one forced fumble while also getting limited experience as a punt returner.

Comment

From a talent standpoint, by far the best value of the entire draft/fa process for us. Posseses pro-bowl caliber skills, though he is not particularly fast or quick. If he can stay healthy and out of trouble, the nickel corner position is his to lose, IMO.

Comment

from what i've seen he needs to shed blocks better...and is it me or does he seem to shy away from contact?

I mean i've seen him give some big hits, but i've also seen him not go after a guy to finish a play...

but hey, he stripped the ball from the hands of Mike Evans in the endzone to prevent a TD, good play in my book

Comment

So battling for the 3rd and 4th corner spots we have the following:

Greg Reid
              Brandon Mcgee
              Rodney Mcloud
              Lamarcus Joyner
              Marcus Roberson
              EJ Gaines

Out of this group only 3 make it. You know Joyner and Mcloud make it based off of versatilty so it appears that 4 players and vying for 1 maybe 2 spots...

Comment

Originally posted by bruce4life View Post

Greg Reid
                Brandon Mcgee
                Rodney Mcloud
                Lamarcus Joyner
                Marcus Roberson
                EJ Gaines

Out of this group only 3 make it. You know Joyner and Mcloud make it based off of versatilty so it appears that 4 players and vying for 1 maybe 2 spots...
                6 men enter 3 men leave!

Comment

Originally posted by bruce4life View Post

Greg Reid
                  Brandon Mcgee
                  Rodney Mcloud
                  Lamarcus Joyner
                  Marcus Roberson
                  EJ Gaines

Too early to tell, but it's doubtful a player with a second round grade (Roberson) can be hidden on the practice squad unless injuries play a role.

Comment

Originally posted by turbofargo View Post
                    6 men enter 3 men leave!
                    We want Thunderdome!!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                      Roberson sets sights on making mark with Rams
                      by MauiRam
                      • By Joe Lyons

Marcus Roberson refuses to let what happened — or didn’t happen — during last month’s NFL draft hold him back.

“You can’t control the uncontrollable,’’ said Roberson, a former University of Florida cornerback who wasn’t picked and signed with the Rams as a free agent shortly after the draft. “My opportunity is here and now and it’s up to me to try and make the best of it. My focus is on making the team and doing whatever I can to help the Rams.’’

Roberson, who stands 6 feet and weighs 190 pounds, was highly touted coming into the draft, with some “experts’’ viewing him as a possible second- or third-round selection. But after three days and seven rounds, he still was available. He said he drew interest from several teams before deciding to sign with the Rams.

“I felt like this was a place where I could fit in well,’’ said Roberson, who received a $15,000 signing bonus. “It’s a good system with a great coaching staff that can teach me a lot. I played in an NFL-type scheme at Florida and that’s helped with the transition. Still, learning the plays and the terminology’s a little different. But I definitely feel like I’m catching on and getting more comfortable every day.’’

The Rams, who held their first of 10 organized team activities Tuesday at Rams Park, addressed a need by adding a number of cornerbacks in the offseason, including sixth-round draft pick E.J. Gaines from Missouri as well as rookie free agents Roberson and Greg Reid (Florida State). Holdovers at the position are starters Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, plus backups Brandon McGee and Darren Woodward.

In addition, second-round draft pick Lamarcus Joyner (Florida State) and rookie free agent Jarrid Bryant (South Dakota) are listed as defensive backs, capable off playing corner or safety.

“It’s a strong group,’’ Roberson said. “But competition is what pushes you to get better.’’

Spirited competition is nothing new for Roberson, a product of perennial national prep power St. Thomas Aquinas High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

It led all high schools in drafted players this year, with four — Joyner by the Rams in the second round, Wisconsin safety Dezmen Southward by the Falcons in the third round, Miami guard Brandon Linder by the Jaguars in the third round and Wisconsin running back James White by the Patriots in the fourth round.

In 2010, when Roberson was a junior, Aquinas went 15-0, captured the Class 5A title and ended up ranked third nationally.

“We were pretty good,’’ the soft-spoken Roberson said. “It’s a private Catholic school program coached by the great George Smith. He’s a great coach and I really enjoyed my time playing there.’’

So who was the true shutdown cornerback on that squad, Joyner, the senior, or Roberson, the junior?

“No, we both were good,’’ Roberson said,...
                      -06-03-2014, 10:58 PM
                    • MauiRam
                      Rams hope to find gold in newest batch of undrafted rookies
                      by MauiRam
                      Nate Latsch

After finding some contributors among their undrafted free-agent signees a year ago, the Rams are hoping to do the same this season.

Running back Benny Cunningham finished the 2013 season as the team's second-leading rusher, and linebackers Ray Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates contributed on special teams. Rookie free agents all.

Enter this year's class. The Rams signed 15 undrafted rookie free agents from schools as notable as the University of Florida to the generally anonymous in Bacone College, an NAIA school in Muskogee, Okla.

The headliner of the group is Florida cornerback Marcus Roberson, who left the Gators with a year of eligibility remaining and looked like a possible mid-round draft pick.

Roberson is a 6-foot, 191-pound cover corner whose stock likely dropped because of his injury history -- he had two injury-plagued seasons in his three years as a starter at UF -- and a poor performance at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

He officially ran a 4.61 40-yard dash and recorded just eight reps at 225 pounds on the bench press, which ranked among the worst efforts by a defensive back in Indianapolis.

He reportedly ran a 4.69 40 at his pro day in March.

NFL.com projected Roberson as a third- or fourth-round pick. At the conclusion of the draft, NFL.com writer Gil Brandt ranked Roberson as the No. 1 cornerback among the players who were not selected.

"Lean, athletic, finesse cornerback who is best deployed in off-man or zone coverage, and has potential to develop into a No. 2 or No. 3 corner if he regains his sophomore form," NFL.com draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki wrote in Roberson's draft profile. "However, he lacks desirable instincts and tackling ability, and did not elevate his game in 2013 when injuries, suspension and inconsistency marred his junior season."

Roberson was a high school teammate of Rams second-round pick Lamarcus Joyner at powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Now those two players, along with sixth-round pick E.J. Gaines of Missouri, will try to solidify a young St. Louis cornerback crew that lost veteran Cortland Finnegan in the offseason.

Roberson isn't a lock to make the roster, but he will compete at an area of need for the Rams and has some strong college credentials after playing in the Southeastern Conference for three seasons.

Defensive tackle Ethan Westbrooks, a 6-4, 267-pounder, starred at Division II West Texas A&M the past two seasons after transferring from Sacramento City College. He racked up 19 1/2 sacks and three forced fumbles in 15 games in 2012 -- when he was named the Ron Lenz Division II National Defensive Player of the Year -- and then had 19 1/2 tackles for loss, seven sacks, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble in 14 games in 2013.

The Rams have a stacked defensive line with...
                      -05-23-2014, 05:57 PM
                    • Nick
                      NFL Draft Scout 2015 Draft Previews
                      by Nick
                      2015 NFL Draft: Baylor Preview
                      By Dane Brugler
                      NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
                      May 30, 2014 11:01 am ET

Since head coach Art Briles took control of the program, Baylor has produced 18 NFL Draft picks, including a handful of first rounders. The Bears had at least one top-100 draft pick each of the last five years, but that streak was snapped with the 2014 class, despite having five draft total picks. However there is an excellent chance for Baylor to have multiple top-100 draft choices in the 2015 NFL Draft class.

A year ago, Baylor was unranked entering the season and picked to finish middle of the pack in the Big 12 before going 11-2 in 2013, including the first BCS bowl appearance in program history. But the Bears won't be sneaking up on anyone in 2014 as Briles' crew will likely start the season ranked in the top-15 with one of the top offenses in the country, including a passing attack that returns several playmakers. Quarterback Bryce Petty might have the most production of any passer this season, but his NFL future isn't easy to predict, largely due to the offense he runs at Baylor. Nonetheless, he has several traits that make him an appealing specimen for NFL scouts.

Baylor's top NFL Draft-Eligible prospects to watch in 2014:

1. OT Spencer Drango, RS Junior (6-5 | 315 | 5.10 | #58)
                      One of the top offensive linemen in college football, Drango has an impressive NFL skill-set as the game appears to come very easily to him, showing similarities to Dallas Cowboys' 2014 first rounder Zach Martin in some areas. The Bears starting left tackle the last two seasons, he has an easy kickslide with a wide base and the fluid lower body movements to properly protect the pocket from speed or power rushers. Drango is always alert and rarely caught off guard with a high football IQ and overall awareness to process situations quickly. He has the stone hands to jolt with little resistance, displaying the balance to handle defenders and stay off the ground. Drango has very few holes to his game, but Nov. 2013 back surgery is a bright red flag and definitely something to monitor. If healthy and there are no long-term concerns, he has the overall ability to compete to be the top tackle drafted when he goes pro.

2. DE Shawn Oakman, RS Junior (6-8 | 285 | 4.92 | #2)
                      A freakish specimen on the hoof, Oakman is just scratching the surface of who he can be as a football player. He started his collegiate career at Penn State, but several off-field issues and poor academics led to his dismissal by then head coach Bill O'Brien. Tabbed as angry and troubled, but not a bad kid, Oakman transferred to Baylor, sitting out the 2012 season, and played a part-time role in 2013, finishing among the Big 12 leaders in tackles for loss (12.5). While leverage will always be an issue due to his height, he plays much lighter than he looks with burst off the ball to rush the...
                      -06-01-2014, 09:23 AM
                    • Nick
                      The Official 2014 Senior Bowl Thread
                      by Nick
                      Please keep all Senior Bowl related information contained in this thread, thanks! :ram:
                      -01-20-2014, 06:21 AM
                    • RamBill
                      Combine Prep: Offensive linemen to watch in Indy/Rang
                      by RamBill
                      Combine Prep: Offensive linemen to watch in Indianapolis
                      By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
                      February 10, 2013 1:34 pm ET

Combine Prep: Offensive linemen to watch in Indianapolis - CBSSports

With rookie quarterbacks Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson leading their respective NFL teams to the playoffs and fellow first-year standout Luke Kuechly leading the league in tackles, it is more obvious than ever the immediate impact rookies can make in today's NFL.

The first (and best) opportunity NFL teams, media and the public will have to see the best of the 2013 draft class kicks off in less than two weeks with the annual scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Inside the walls of Lucas Oil Stadium the 333 college prospects ranked highest by league scouts will be poked, prodded, tested and questioned, helping teams set their draft boards in preparation for the April draft.

Any conversation about the 2013 offensive line must begin with Texas A&M junior left tackle Luke Joeckel, NFLDraftScout.com's top overall prospect.

He, along with Senior Bowl standouts Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson, possesses the size and athleticism to contribute immediately at the premium "blindside" position.

Perhaps most exciting about the 2013 class of tackles, however, is the depth, as there are several exciting developmental prospects likely to still be on the board in the middle rounds.

The guard class is similarly strong, with both Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper likely to hear their names called in the first round.

The center class, on the other hand, isn't as talented or deep as it has been in recent years.
                      Most to gain in Indianapolis

Logic says that the players who put forth the most impressive workout results have the most in gain at the combine each year. That isn't necessarily the case. In most cases, the elite athletes are already well known by scouts. The players who actually boost their grades during the athletic drills at the combine are those who show better-than-expected athleticism or help their cause through interviews.

Take Wisconsin's Rick Wagner and Oregon's Kyle Long as examples.

Wagner has long been a standout for the Badgers but is not the physically dominant run-blocker Wisconsin has consistently sent into the NFL. He is, however, light on his feet, especially given the fact he sports a 6-foot-6-inch, 310-pound frame. A solid showing at the combine could help him further differentiate himself from the stereotyping some scouts or NFL coaches might do if seeing him for the first time.

Long, the son of Hall of Fame defensive end Howie and brother of St. Louis Rams defensive end Chris, is well known for his athleticism. He was drafted by the Chicago White Sox as a pitcher and emerged as a starter late last year for the Ducks despite having...
                      -02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
                    Working...
                    X