Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not sure if I could support the London Rams.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure if I could support the London Rams.

The NFL announced today that it will increase the number of games played in London next year.

Some have suggested that the league wishes to have a team in London one day.

The Rams have an owner who also owns a sports franchise in London.

While I don't really think it will happen, let me say right now for the record: a move to London might be the only thing I can imagine that would cause me to cease being a Rams fan.

I am that opposed to having a full-time NFL franchise in London.

Frankly, I can't think of any good argument for having an NFL franchise in London (apart from the potential financial benefits to the league, which I don't care about). In terms of tradition, logistics (distance and time zone), the benefit of regional rivalries, and desireability for players, it is an absolutely horrible idea.

So, while I will support the Rams in St. Louis, Los Angeles, or any place in between, I don't ever want to hear about the London Rams.

Re: I'm not sure if I could support the London Rams.

Other than giving up being a Rams fan I agree with you in the other points you make AvR... Will be a bad idea imho to station a team there full time! Playing a couple games a year there is a really cool thing I think but rediculous idea to have a team there! Kinda ruins the whole Euro League thing, they have their league there in Europe and that is a good thing for developement etc. Also is good way to expose Euro folks to our style football instead of soccer all the time. Not even in favor of a team in Canada or Mexico it is a USA thing the NFL that is what I think of when I think of it. Canada has their league and I think there is plenty of teams of many sports in Mexico etc... good to have international fans and play some games in other countries is fine for exhibitionary purposes but not as a home base. Guess I feel kinda greedy in this but it is about tradition too. But I would still be a Rams fan, hey if you can put up with Georgia you can put up with anything!

;)
    Last edited by Randart; -11-06-2014, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I live in Denmark and therefore could be in London within approx. a one-hour flight (plus travel time to airport etc). So I would maybe be in the target group for the Rams in London....

But honestly I do not want a fixed team in London (and even less a Superbowl as there also sometimes have been rumors about). I will tell you why.

First and foremost a big part of the charm of NFL football for me is that it is so very American. It has the tailgating, the cheerleaders, the crazy (but mostly peacefull) fans, a crazy amount of stats and tv coverage and so on. I think some of this “American” feeling would be lost if a team would be moved to London.

Secondly I have had the pleasure of being to 3 games in London (once the Rams and twice Bucs games as my friend is a bucs fan). All three times were VERY cool. I got to see Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, talked with Brad “the bull” Johnson, was lucky to be invited to a closed fan session with 100 other fans where we could ask Roger Goodell questions and were the Pittsburg owner and Jerome Bettis showed up as a surprise and the best part I got an autograph on my cap from Marshall Faulk! All pretty cool stuff for a European fan, but it all only happens because the current games in London are like a big NFL party. There are fans from all teams and all countries in London and the NFL goes the extra mile to make events and invite former players. I think this is the way it should be.

Thirdly I have also had the pleasure of seeing a few games in the US among others a MNF game with the Colts against the Steelers (the year the Steelers won the SB). Nothing can be compared to watching the games in the US. The tailgaiting, the sound in the stadium everything. Just so much better. Seeing the games in London is fun but there is nothing close to the vibe as there are fans of all teams and it is more like a NFL fan conference J I do not think this would change with a fixed team as the visiting team would draw a lot of fans and most games would probably be like an away game for the home team. Probably similar to Rams home games today…..

So keep making some games in London every year, but DO NOT MOVE THE RAMS. Only if they moved the Seagulls or the Whiners is would be ok. Then I could see the Rams once every year while they beat up the teams I hate the most

Comment

I'd probably hang in there and still support the Rams, but for the NFL to even contemplate a team in London is nuts. From what I've found, a flight from New York to London is 7-8 hours, and to San Francisco is 11-12 hours. That's insane. And the time difference would be another huge problem when it comes to TV air times. I don't see how it could ever work.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
          Frankly, I can't think of any good argument for having an NFL franchise in London (apart from the potential financial benefits to the league, which I don't care about).
          Unfortunately, money is all that talks with the NFL.

Comment

I would still support the RAMS no matter where they call home.
            sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
              londonram0
              tokyoram0
              moskowram0
              baghdadram0

Now there's a loyal fan!

Comment

In terms of tradition, logistics (distance and time zone), the benefit of regional rivalries, and desireability for players, it is an absolutely horrible idea.
                There will be NEW rivalries. Just think, the London Rams vs. the Paris Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyhater View Post
                  There will be NEW rivalries. Just think, the London Rams vs. the Paris Packers!

Comment

The NFL announced today that it will increase the number of games played in London next year.

Some have suggested that the league wishes to have a team in London one day.

The Rams have an owner who also owns a sports franchise in London.

While I don't really think it will happen, let me say right now for the record: a move to London might be the only thing I can imagine that would cause me to cease being a Rams fan.

I am that opposed to having a full-time NFL franchise in London.

Frankly, I can't think of any good argument for having an NFL franchise in London (apart from the potential financial benefits to the league, which I don't care about). In terms of tradition, logistics (distance and time zone), the benefit of regional rivalries, and desireability for players, it is an absolutely horrible idea.

So, while I will support the Rams in St. Louis, Los Angeles, or any place in between, I don't ever want to hear about the London Rams.
                    This would be a deal breaker for me. I, too, am thoroughly opposed to an NFL team being there full time. The idea is patently ridiculous. The travel involved, the logistics and the fact that we've already essentially been there, done that (Remember the World league??) should put this nonsense to bed. Hey, Roger- Does the NFL NOT HAVE ENOUGH money already that it has to entertain this lunacy? When will you actually make a decision with the fan's primary interest in mind instead of the almighty buck?

European NFL teams, Super Bowls in NY and virtual elimination of the kicking game. A few more decisions like these and the NFL will soon sacrifice the wild popularity it enjoys.

Comment

The Rams won't be going to London, unfortunately it will be the Jags. The Rams were originally scheduled to go and to ingratiate them onto the British Football conscience they were the first team to be allocated 3 games here. That all fell through during the stadium renegotiations when it was pointed out that the Rams are contractually obligated to play all home games at the Edward Jones Dome and instead of 3 games that year they only played one, the Jags were then roped in to take up the slack. The Jags owner, Shahid Khan, just like our own beloved Stan Kronke, owns a Soccer team over here, Fulham FC.

As a British football fan of many years standing I would hate to see a team over here. The NFL may think they have the support of a dedicated fan base but what they don't realise is that the few games they have here every year attract people that can afford to buy a ticket and travel to London once, maybe twice a year, if they are lucky. Many fans from around Europe take the opportunity to see a game but they won't be regular attenders. They wont be able to fill Wembley regularly with paying fans because London is horribly expensive to travel to and and get hotel accommodation in and the price of tickets is hideous too.

Comment

why they would have a team in london playing teams in america is beyond me...

zero sense...

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                          I would not support the Rams, or any of my teams if they moved outside the US. I could never root for a team based outside the states. Never.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Someday, it would be great to have a Euro league on par with the NFL--perhaps even one in Asia and South American league and have a true Super Bowl and a true world champion team...that's just me musing

Never saw the appeal of Soccer but the world is just nuts for that sport--just hasn't really caught on in the states. In terms of logistics, sure anything is possible, but popular appeal that's a hard one to gage. But the British seem to be onboard.

A British team, don't think its really possible. Figure 16 games, 8 of which are home games and then possible playoffs, some teams seam to have difficulty traveling West to East. Now imagine adding an 8 hour flight on top of that. I just can't see it workable

Comment

There won't be one team or franchise in London.

It's a logistical and shedule nightmare. However what they have talked about (A. Shefter), is getting London five games as soon as next year. Along with this a London seasonticket in the future, but for NFLgames as it is now and not 1 team (again Shefter).

I have to say I love the London games but it shouldn't be one team in my opinion. We across the pound should get the experience and the taste. Have different teams here would give that over the course of 8 games. London is packed for every game, stadium sold out in matter of days.

Don't want to be Debbie Downer but "conservative NFL watchers" amongst you, the NFL has no room to grow in the US or very little with audiences, sponsoring and exposure. And as we all know it's just about money, the kicker......

Quote taken from website cranesdetroit (links policy!?!)

TICKET PRICES: Average ticket cost for the three London games has been 76 pounds, or $122. The average NFL ticket price this season is $84.43, and the Lions average $72.98. The highest average is $122 for the New England Patriots. NFL teams keep 66 percent of regular ticket sales for their home games. The remaining 34 percent is split evenly among the 31 other teams. The home team keeps revenue from suite and club seat sales. For the London games, the league is “making whole” both teams on revenue they won’t be getting from tickets, concessions, merchandise, parking and other ancillary revenue. The league also covers all of the expenses for teams to play in London.

So Europe games are here to stay!

Last edited by Rammed; -11-06-2014, 11:47 PM. Reason: link removal

Comment