I'm Sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Sorry

While one must give Arizona credit for having a quality, well-coached club, there is no excuse for the Rams to lose that game tonight. Given an opportunity at home to beat an opponent who played with both their 2nd and 3rd string QBs, and missing their starting RB, we couldn't get the job done. We did nothing in this game to give ourselves a spark. No big plays, no pass rush, not one turnover and perhaps the worst half of offensive football in recent memory (and that's REALLY saying something). After a brief "feel good" period featuring shutouts against two NFL doormats, all the old deficiencies reared their ugly head again: poor QB play, poor offensive line blocking/protection, receivers' inability to get open, etc. and so forth. Once again, I enthusiastically look to the end of another long, unfulfilling season which was derailed from the start.

Re: I'm Sorry

Mannn, I hear you NJ. :disapointed:

Quite frustrating indeed. Tonight, it was ours for the taking. Coach Fish must feel lousy too.

Comment

No apologies necessary, the Rams organization owes its fans an apology for giving us a ****show of a team on primetime. Where the **** was the gameplan to counter pass rushes (screens, quick slants, etc.)?

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

Originally posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
        No apologies necessary, the Rams organization owes its fans an apology for giving us a ... show of a team on primetime. Where the ... was the gameplan to counter pass rushes (screens, quick slants, etc.)?
        Let's see what Coach has to say. This one was / should have been, in the bag. :frown:

Comment

Blame this one on the Oline and the O co-ordinator.... They were both atrocious. They couldn't block, so what do they do? 5 step drops and throw it on slow developing plays.... No adjustments on offense until it was too late. Defense played well and didn't deserve this loss. Another prime time failure.

Really?
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

I can't say I'm surprised. If NFL teams were given middle names, inconsistent would fit best with this team;

Welcome to your 2014 St. Louis Inconsistent Rams

I knew people were getting a little too excited after last weeks historic achievement with their second straight shutout.

That is, against perhaps the two worst teams in the NFL this season.

But, I guess, getting overly excited about your team is the very essence of what makes you a fan.

Comment

I would have loved to see us go to a hurry up offense to try and tire their defense out a bit. I hate that we dont get the ball in tavon's hands enough.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
                Blame this one on the Oline and the O co-ordinator.... They were both atrocious. They couldn't block, so what do they do? 5 step drops and throw it on slow developing plays....
                Just so maddening to watch. Other teams can run bang bang plays to neutralize a pass rush, why can't we??

Comment

To just rub the salt further into the wound, its not like the cardinals blitzing and terrific pressure should come as a surprise to schotty or anyone else. That is what they do and that is the key to their defense. It sure didnt look like he was prepared for it.

One other thing. Anyone else think that Hill's reads at the line of scrimmage stink?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Yup GC. It's about as good as his unorthodox throwing mechanics, as well. The more I see of Hill, the more I just want to cover my eyes every time he's in shot-gun or drops back.

Comment

In the first game of the year when you have ALL offseason to prepare your first 20 offensive plays of the game, we came out with a boring game plan, terrible execution, and were flat vs. the Vikings. How is that even possible?

We don't scheme for the opposing defenses weaknesses, we just run plays regardless of who we are playing. Finally vs. the Chargers, Schotty used Tavon the way Patterson killed us in that first game vs the Vikings. It took him 10 weeks to copy that play. That sums up where we are in terms of creativity on offense.

Not too mention the 3 and outs on offense just kill your defense. How long have we been singing that tune? As for our defense, they're good, but the reality is, we had a pretty good defense in the year before Fisher. I'm not even sure this defense is better than what we had under Spagnolo? So have we really improved at all?

And to top it all off, with the possibility of putting a silver lining on this grey cloud of this season, and a chance to get to .500 on Prime Time TV, we put that pathetic offensive display on. We needed to leave everything out there, instead it's like we're still playing it safe. Trying to establish the Run... Playing "not to lose". It seems like Fisher's M.O.

7-9... Deja vu.

Comment

The Rams were outplayed and Fish was outcoached, which is less of an achievement than the team being outplayed. Let's give full credit where credit is due.

Comment

I'm usually a skeptic, but the Rams played one of the best D's in the league on three days rest. I'm inclined to think that had something to do about it.

That said, I was surprised that we ran the ball so little. I know the Cards have a good run defense, but in a ball control game like that you've just got to try running more (and not just up the gut). And the offensive line still isn't good enough; it boggles the mind that getting a top flight line hasn't be priority one on offensive given how they want to play.

I'd like us to get a high draft pick on OL, find a new center, and maybe even another TE. I also think a WR coach who could get these guys to learn about separation would be a good addition.

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoRam View Post
                            The Rams were outplayed and Fish was outcoached, which is less of an achievement than the team being outplayed. Let's give full credit where credit is due.
                            The Cardinals stunk, and the Rams stunk worse. Don't know if that truly qualifies as being outplayed.

And what exactly would you have had Jeff Fisher do- short of suiting up and playing offense? The Rams are simply not good enough to beat good teams with a back-up QB unless they force turnovers and get a big play or two. Neither happened last night.

Comment

I would say the AZ defense was good and Schotty's alleged offense was bad...
                              "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
                                Rams fall 12-6 to Cardinals; The Good, Bad and Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                The Rams fought hard tonight, played well defensively, but came up just short due primarily to their failure to capitalize on the few opportunities they had in losing 12-6 to a very very good Cardinals team. The Rams have nothing to be ashamed of, both their strengths and shortcomings were quite evident tonight. We need better offensive line and qb play in order to take the next step forward and become a playoff team, especially if we are going to win 10 plus games in the brutal nfc west. I really thought that the Rams were going to pull this one out 13-12 when we got a first down at midfield at the 2 minute warning. It was obvious that the Cardinals, playing with a third string qb, were not going to score again, but Hill made his worst throw of the night at a time when it counted the most, missing a WIDE OPEN Bailey for a first down and gain deep into Cardinals territory on a 3rd and 3. It's a demoralizing loss, especially when you are playing at home and the opponent does not score a single TD. But that's what you make even a small number of critical mistakes in a close game and the opponent doesnt turn the ball over at all. The Rams weren't terrible tonight, they lost to a better team, a team that ran the ball better than we did, didnt turn it over at all, and frankly played even better defense than we did. We have come a long way, but we have a long way to go.

The Good

Another strong performance by the defense, albeit against a third string qb in the second half. The Rams allowed only 274 total yards. We also had only one sack (Aaron Donald, another strong game for him) despite blitzing repeatedly. We allowed only 13 first downs and gave the offense plenty of chances to win the game. In the NFL, you are going to win almost all of your games in which you allow 12 points and no td's. I am not going to put this next line in the "bad" category, but i will point out that the Rams did not force any turnovers on defense and that was a huge key to this game. The defense had a huge hold early after the turnover, holding arizona to a field goal. I think the bottom line is that the defense played well enough to win, but not spectacular enough to overcome a great performance by the cardinals defense and a lousy performance by our offense. I can't say that the defense played "bad" because they didnt score. I have a couple of criticisms that i will point out below, but it really was a solid defensive effort. We had some nice pass breakups in the secondary and some nice tackling in the secondary, especially trumaine, gaines and mcleod.

Hekker was terrific all night doing his best to flip field position even when we couldnt move at all. He averaged 50 plus yards on 8 punts and dropped a number of punts inside the 20.

Kenny Britt and Bailey both played well under the circumstances, Britt had a sensational catch on the last drive to get us out of a deep hole and...
                                -12-11-2014, 09:38 PM
                              • Nick
                                The most disappointing thing about tonight's game was...
                                by Nick
                                ...how absolutely uninspired this team looked.

The Rams had everything to play for - a .500 season and a chance to not only make the playoffs but host a playoff game in the dome. They were going up against a team that's lost seven of their last nine games, and lost handily to the Rams in October by a score of 20-3.

We heard from Steve Spagnuolo after the Chiefs game that the Rams were entering the playoff mindset (to which Steven Jackson said they should have already been in it, and I agree). This was a monumentally important game for the Rams that could have made a great statement for the direction of the team.

And they laid a giant egg on national television.

I wasn't among those fans who, prior to the game, thought this was going to be an easy win against an inferior team. I saw the Rams as a better team and believed they'd win the game, but when this game was moved to primetime at Qwest Field, I had a feeling it was going to be a tough one. Sure enough, there really wasn't a phase of the game where the Rams didn't stumble.

Bradford wasn't awful, but he misfired on a couple of key passes. The throw to Robinson on the sideline that could have been challenged wouldn't have needed to be had it arrived a half a second or so sooner. A throw to Amendola running an out route was beyond his reach. A throw to Robinson running a corner route went too far. Sam locked onto his receiver tonight, resulting in a couple of batted balls and a fatal interception. What has been an impressive rookie season ended on a sour note.

But while Bradford did not play a perfect game, his supporting cast shoulders a much larger share of the blame. The Rams' offensive line was not particularly effective; yards in the ground game were hard to come by, and the protection was inconsistent. When Sam needed his blockers the most, on the final drive of the game, they let him down tremendously with back to back sacks.

Nearly every Rams receiver had moments to forget in this game, perhaps none moreso than fan hero Danario Alexander. I don't think DX deserves too much criticism for the incomplete deep ball on the sidelines, as he was led a bit too far towards the line in my opinion. But rookie or veteran, you've got to be able to come down with the deep post pass that whiffed right through his hands. Tell that to Robinson and Fells as well. The Rams are desperate for someone to step up at this position. Scratch that, they've been desperate all year for someone to emerge. No one seems to want to become the guy, and it might cost some of them their place on this team when the summer and fall roll around.

One of the more perplexing developments in this game was the lack of Steven Jackson. The Rams' best offensive playmaker touched the ball fifteen times in this game. On the one drive where the Rams actually drove the length of the field to put points on the board,...
                                -01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
                              • NJ Ramsfan1
                                They're just not any good... again
                                by NJ Ramsfan1
                                Just a weekly exercise in torture with the Rams finding new ways to lose. Finally play a relatively disciplined game and still can't win. Come out with two good drives then play perhaps the worst 3 quarters of offensive football possible. Terrible O-line play. Terrible secondary play. Another punt partially blocked. And Davis supplies the coup-de-grace with another pick 6- the 5th (FIFTH!!!)return this season against the Rams.

How in the world does a team who has led the league or finished 2nd in sacks the past two seasons not generate a pass rush- especially when by all accounts they improved the defensive line? Just unbelievable. The defense remains god-awful. How many freaking times did SF receivers catch balls tonight with no one within 10 yards of them?

Jenkins is a piece of garbage. Commits one of the all-time worst breakdowns with 30 seconds to go in the half for an 80 yard TD, beaten again later then seen with a smile on his face while on the sideline. You could line up a statue at right corner and it would be just as effective.

Don't talk to me about penalties. The Cook call was terrible, no doubt. But Jenkins also mugged the hell out of Crabtree later in the game and wasn't called. The Rams don't need to pin the blame on refs, they do a good enough job of losing games on their own.

I admire Davis' moxie while being thrust into a tough situation, but let's put away the anointing oil. Tonight he showed why he was coaching HS Football a year ago. Drop back, scramble and make an ill-advised throw into coverage. Good teams will make you pay for that, and after a promising start, Davis fizzled. Don't be fooled by the scrambling and fist-pumping; the jury is very much out on whether this guy is any good.

Eleven years in a row of being depressed, disappointed and unable to enjoy watching professional football with absolutely no hope in sight. So much for the new regime.
                                -10-13-2014, 08:57 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Rams beat Tampa Bay 31-23; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                In what may have been the Rams last game in St. Louis, the squad played their best half of the season, jumping to a 21-3 lead and coasting to a 31-23 victory over Tampa Bay. The Rams pushed their record to 6-8, leading to a second consecutive week of head scratching as we all ask ourselves what could have and should be been different this season. Two wins in a row does not make up for all the disappointments this year, but it's clear that the Rams have not quit on Fisher and that we do have talent and the capability of playing at a high level. Alas, the story of the Fisher era to date is lack of consistency, and tonight's performance is really nothing more than another tease. We can all complain all we want, and we have every right to do so. The fact remains that we are about 3 plays away from being 9-5 right now. Many teams in the nfl could probably make similar claims as close doesnt count, but as i did last week, i am bemoaning our failure to achieve our potential since its clear that the Rams have it in them to play good football. Functional qb play sure makes a big difference doesn't it?

The Good

Keenum was outstanding tonight. He was better than a pure game manager, posting 14-17-234 2 td's, a qb rating of 158 and no turnovers. Sure, almost all of that came in the first quarter and a half, but so what? That is what the Rams offense is designed to do, get a lead, manage the game and run out the clock. He made some outstanding throws, including a 60 yard bomb to Britt for a td. He was on target almost every time, with multiple big throws to Cook, gurley, kendricks and austin (td). He showed mobility and he did not make any big mistakes, although he did get lucky a couple of times. He had two terrible plays all night, one of which changed the game. Right before the 2 minute warning, Rams at midfield, up big by 21-3 and looking for more, he throws a terrible ball that hits the tampa linebacker right in the hands and looked like a pick 6 to me. That would have been a real disaster, fortunately, the guy dropped it, huge break for us. Same series, he takes a 12 yard sack rather than getting rid of the ball, knocking us way out of position to try and score a field goal. If Keenum played like this every game, he would actually be a potential long term answer at qb in the fisher system.

Benny was sensational returning kicks. 4 for 188 including a spectacular 103 yarder down to the 4 yard line that led to a field goal effectively putting the game away by making it a 3 score game (especially considering that this week we were able to fall on the onside kick).

Very limited penalties this week and no turnovers, essentially as clean a game as we have played in my memory under fisher. Not perfect of course, but can anyone name the last time they watched a Rams game that didnt have a block in the back on punt or kick returns and no holding penalties on the offense (and...
                                -12-17-2015, 09:47 PM
                              • general counsel
                                Rams beat Tampa Bay 31-23; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
                                by general counsel
                                In what may have been the Rams last game in St. Louis, the squad played their best half of the season, jumping to a 21-3 lead and coasting to a 31-23 victory over Tampa Bay. The Rams pushed their record to 6-8, leading to a second consecutive week of head scratching as we all ask ourselves what could have and should be been different this season. Two wins in a row does not make up for all the disappointments this year, but it's clear that the Rams have not quit on Fisher and that we do have talent...
                                -12-18-2015, 01:50 AM
                              Working...
                              X