X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No chance of a comeback

No chance of a comeback
    By Dane Watkins / January 21st, 2015
    Between the two of us, my father and I have witnessed nearly every moment of the pitiful pro football on display in St. Louis over the past 55 years, first with the Cardinals, and then with the Rams. But for the first time in my life, we will not be renewing our season tickets with the Rams.

The Rams have broken my heart year after year, disappointed me, and left me wondering why I spend my money and my time watching them play. It’s been a part of my life since I was three years old.

Unfortunately, recent events have changed all that. I never thought I would stop watching the Rams, but what transpired over the past few weeks was too much to endure.

Stan Kroenke, owner of the Rams, has decided the team will be playing football in Los Angeles soon. While nothing is official yet, the Rams are as good as gone.

Kroenke has the money (he’s one of the richest human beings on the planet, and his wife “Princess Wal-Mart” is worth more than him), he has the land (a however-many-acre plot in Inglewood, California with space not only for a stadium but room to develop parking lots and mini malls to accompany the field and fatten his wallet) and he has the team.

People have tried telling me not to worry—that it’s presumptuous to think the Rams will leave, that there’s no need to fret yet. They say the NFL has ruled out submissions to relocate in 2015—true, but not in 2016. They say the NFL owners wanted to control the LA market and that they don’t trust or like Kroenke. They say the NFL’s own bylaws prohibit a team from re-locating unless they have negotiated “in good faith” with the home city. They say it’s too early to say anything for certain.

Please. To believe the Rams will be in St. Louis in five years is incredibly naïve.

Firstly, the other NFL owners may not like Kroenke, but they do like money. And a team in LA would mean more money for them.

The NFL has owned the LA market for 20 years and done virtually nothing with it. Never before has such a viable owner, location and team been available for relocation.

It’s hard to move a team to Los Angeles; the real-estate market is a mess and the taxes are astronomical. But Kroenke already has the land, and can afford the taxes. They might not like him, but he can make them more money. A team in the second-biggest TV market in the United States will bring in more cash than a team in St. Louis. It’s simple and unfortunate math. If the LA Clippers are worth $2 billion, how high might the Rams’ stock rise if they were to move?

As for the NFL’s bylaws, they aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. They were designed to keep people from owning professional sports teams in different franchises and thus tamper with different markets.

But the NFL is already making exceptions for Kroenke in terms of their “bylaws.” When Kroenke bought the Rams in 2010, he already owned professional sports teams in another market: Denver. He owns the Avalanche, the Nuggets, and the Major League Soccer team the Rapids. This means Kroenoke has violated the NFL’s cross-ownership laws multiple times.

To get around this, Kroenke bequeathed the teams to his son and daughter. How very generous of him. The NFL didn’t call him on this nonsense (it’s been four years), so to believe he has to negotiate in “good faith” with St. Louis is preposterous.

Besides, he already has a plan to deal with the pesky people who remind him of the relatively strong support in St. Louis. He’s alienated every fan with his plans in LA. The Rams will play 2015 in St. Louis in a nearly-empty dome. And then Kroenke will claim he has no support and will have to leave.

It’s amazing how transparent his plan is, but I’ve seen this movie before. (Maybe you have too—it’s called Major League.) If the NFL does stand up to Kroenke, he won’t hesitate to sue. And the NFL wouldn’t want to face a lawsuit. They’ve had enough bad PR lately.

Kroenke will throw money at the appropriate people (the Spanos family in San Diego comes to mind), and he will get what he wants. Multi-billionaires tend to get that.

And to those who look to Gov. Jay Nixon’s stadium task force leaders Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz to save the day: You need to adjust your expectations. Is it a nice drawing? Yes. But where is the money behind it? It’s mostly public money. If the public is called on to raise taxes to fund a new stadium, (for the second time in 20 years) the initiative will fail.

Furthermore, Peacock has already claimed the stadium needs an investment of at least $200 million from an NFL owner. They won’t get a dime from Kroenke.

Even worse, the city doesn’t even own all of the land necessary for the plan to work, and they plan for the stadium to be publicly operated. Why would Kroenke (who loves money) agree to lease a stadium that isn’t his in a city like St. Louis, when he can own a stadium and all of the amenities around it in a city like Los Angeles? Kroenke made his money in real estate. He buys land. He develops land. He does not lease.

My dad and I left the final Rams game against the Giants a few minutes early. We were rounding a concourse when we saw the Rams block a field goal against New York on the Jumbotron. We had the ball back with only moments remaining. Just the faintest chance of a comeback. I asked my dad if we could stop and see the end of the game. I wanted to see. Even then, I still believed. Maybe the Rams had a miracle up their sleeves.

They didn’t. Shaun Hill fumbled the snap from shotgun and the Giants recovered. I had to laugh. I was such a sucker. But not anymore.

Re: No chance of a comeback

Kleenex are on sale on aisle #3.
    The restoration is complete!

Comment

Here we go. Lame duck status officially underway.

Comment

What a loser. Go cry elsewhere.

Comment

I'm really not trying to be provocative but why isn't there more frustration with the local politicos for the insanely inequitable original deal that brought The Rams to STL and the years-long dragging of their feet to find a solution to this foreseeable crisis ?

If you accept that Kroenke & the NFL will make their moves based on biz criteria like this blogger/fan clearly does, don't you have to look to the other side of the negotiation table? Those are the guys who were supposed to have the backs of the general population, inc fans, and be aware of the longterm wider municipal economics, no ? I dunno who originally put the expansion plan together in STL & invested in it ( Kroenke was among them,iirc) but it seems to me they panicked & screwed the local folks to make sure they got their money back.

I also question whether a team in LA is what the NFL even wants. A consistently competitive one might be attractive financially to maintain/boost tv ratings but I find it hard to believe the greedy-ass old men of the NFL wouldn't have replaced The Rams or Raiders by now if it were profitable to do so with just any team. I think the NFL is fine with having the freedom to show whatever game will max their tv profit in the LA market. All their blather about keeping the Rams in STL for the good of the city/fans is BS,imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Azul e Oro View Post
            I also question whether a team in LA is what the NFL even wants. A consistently competitive one might be attractive financially to maintain/boost tv ratings but I find it hard to believe the greedy-ass old men of the NFL wouldn't have replaced The Rams or Raiders by now if it were profitable to do so with just any team. I think the NFL is fine with having the freedom to show whatever game will max their tv profit in the LA market. All their blather about keeping the Rams in STL for the good of the city/fans is BS,imo.
            The problem the NFL is going to run into soon, if it hasn't already, is they've used LA for 20 years as leverage to help owners get favorable stadium deals. Eventually if you hold that bluff for so long you'll get called on it. And as we look now the Chargers and the Raiders are both having a hard time getting a deal done even with the LA threat there. One thing I can see Kroenke negotiating as part of the move is a deal where any money he'd be entitled to with the NFL's stadium fun(called G4?) would go to San Diego so they could double dip into the fund. This helps Spanos fun a stadium and removes his votes against Kroenke. Kroenke obviously doesn't need the money, though truthfully neither does Spanos. Both teams win and get new stadiums. Now other cities have seen that the NFL will move a team to LA if the situation is right. Now they move the bluff/leverage card from moving a team to LA to "well LA can support two teams". If it plays out this way Kroenke gets what he wants, Spanos gets what he wants, the NFL gets what they want on many fronts and they work this out among themselves and keeps the NFL from getting another black eye in the courts if they try to litigate this.
            The restoration is complete!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
              Kleenex are on sale on aisle #3.
              Ha. I say that about the Ram fanbase that continues to ***** about Super Bowl XXXVI.

Troy Brown recently said it best, Get over it.

Comment

OK, I don't know who wrote this (orginally), but I have seen it on Facebook, as well.

It's pathetic. Not only is the "author" needing some serious help with issues, they clearly never looked at the stadium proposal or anything else.

It's a horribly written attempt by someone who either hates football, or hates the Rams calling St. Louis home.

Let's look at a couple of things:

Firstly, the other NFL owners may not like Kroenke, but they do like money. And a team in LA would mean more money for them.
                Wrong. If this assumption were true, there have been MANY chances for the NFL to be in LA. For instance, there was a chance for an expansion team - and LA was not chosen. Then there have been existing teams - the Seahawks, the Vikings, the Colts, the Bills, the Bengals - over HALF of the teams in the NFL. So, if having a team in the LA market were so lucrative, it would have clearly happened at least ONCE in the past 20 years.

But where is the money behind it? It’s mostly public money. If the public is called on to raise taxes to fund a new stadium, (for the second time in 20 years) the initiative will fail.
                This statement alone tells me that the person who wrote this "article" (which is more of a whiny opinion than anything) never bothered to read the new stadium proposal or he's deliberately trying to mislead people. The proposal clearly states the following:
                Financials
                Estimated costs:
                Land / Demolition $90M-$110M
                Stadium construction $600M-$650M
                Parking / Infrastructure needs $170M-$225M
                Total $860M-$985M
                Private sources:
                NFL team ownership $200M-$250M
                NFL (committed to match up to $200M through G4 program) $200M
                Total $400M-$450M
                Potential public sources (all contingent on private financing):
                Bond extension $300M-$350m
                MDFB support $15M-$25M
                Brownfield tax credits $25M-$30M
                Seat license proceeds $120M-$130M
                Total $460M-$535M
                Nowhere does it say one single word about raising taxes or even anything remotely similar.

Perhaps there should be a fact-check done on all these "articles" being presented to the local media...
                temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by Azul e Oro View Post
                  I'm really not trying to be provocative but why isn't there more frustration with the local politicos for the insanely inequitable original deal that brought The Rams to STL and the years-long dragging of their feet to find a solution to this foreseeable crisis ?

If you accept that Kroenke & the NFL will make their moves based on biz criteria like this blogger/fan clearly does, don't you have to look to the other side of the negotiation table? Those are the guys who were supposed to have the backs of the general population, inc fans, and be aware of the longterm wider municipal economics, no ? I dunno who originally put the expansion plan together in STL & invested in it ( Kroenke was among them,iirc) but it seems to me they panicked & screwed the local folks to make sure they got their money back.
                  This. This. A thousand times This.

We knew the stadium issue was coming. It's been talked about for years. And yet St Louis hasn't done or said anything about it until AFTER the announcement to build a stadium in LA. People in St Louis rip Silent Stan, but they should be ripping Silent St Louis
                  @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post
                    This. This. A thousand times This.

We knew the stadium issue was coming. It's been talked about for years. And yet St Louis hasn't done or said anything about it until AFTER the announcement to build a stadium in LA. People in St Louis rip Silent Stan, but they should be ripping Silent St Louis
                    Don't confuse fans in St. Louis with politicians in St. Louis.
                    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
                      Ha. I say that about the Ram fanbase that continues to ***** about Super Bowl XXXVI.

Troy Brown recently said it best, Get over it.
                      It seems funny to see you post this, while looking at your user name and avatar. You've really flipped the switch, which is too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                        Don't confuse fans in St. Louis with politicians in St. Louis.
                        I'm not. When i refer to "St Louis" in my post i mean those in charge
                        @EssexRam_

Comment

Yeah, this article is a pretty lame attempt at generating criticism against the Rams. And the reference to Major League! bah, anybody who's anybody knows Major League was about Georgia Frontiere moving the Rams out of LA; just like Rockstar was originally about Tim the Ripper Owens and Judas Priest. Sure it's not 100% accurate but what movie is? Certainly, neither is this article. Next!

Comment

As a RAM fan, where they play makes NO DIFFERENCE to me. If you are a fan of a city, then perhaps you are a fan of "insert name."

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
                              The Rams will play 2015 in St. Louis in a nearly-empty dome. And then Kroenke will claim he has no support and will have to leave.
                              Last time I bought tickets and made the trip (2003), I wound up in row VV in the corner, largely surrounded by Cowboys' fans. Maybe I should make the trip out this year if I can get the lower deck!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                                Rams owner Stan Kroenke won more than just L.A.
                                by MauiRam
                                By Dan Wetzel

DENVER – Stan Kroenke owns three major professional sports franchises in the Denver area: the NBA Nuggets, the NHL Avalanche and the MLS Rapids, plus the Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League.

When he is here to tend to their business, which is often, he lives in a spacious penthouse jutting out of one side and on top of the Pepsi Center, the 18,000-seat downtown arena he also owns.

It's an incredible home, spacious and brilliantly decorated, with multiple outdoor spaces and views of both downtown and the Rocky Mountains in the distance. Once inside, it feels like a standalone home off in some gated community in the suburbs, not something that is an elevator ride from a raucous arena.

"Convenient commute," Kroenke said with a laugh to Yahoo Sports on Saturday night while watching his Nuggets defeat the Detroit Pistons.

It's every young sports fans' dream – can't we just live in the arena?

"Sports and real estate development is a large part of what we do," said Kroenke, who Forbes estimates is worth $7.7 billion.

Sports and real estate. Real estate and sports.

It's how Stan Kroenke, despite lacking the big personality or high-profile of a Jerry Jones or a Mark Cuban, has emerged as one of the world's preeminent professional sports owners and, with construction set to begin on a state-of-the-art, 100,000-capacity, clear-roofed stadium in a 300-acre development in Inglewood, Calif., undeniably one of the most powerful figures in sports in this country.

The franchises here in Colorado are big, his other two are bigger. There is the London-based Arsenal Football Club of the English Premier League and its home arena, Emirates Stadium, the third largest in England.

Then there are the Rams of the NFL, which after approval this month from the NFL will leave St. Louis and return to their Los Angeles roots and into what is expected to be the envy of any venue in the world. It was Kroenke, who after two-plus decades solved the NFL's L.A. riddle, something many billionaires, businessmen, entertainment moguls, governors, mayors and so on couldn't.

"The NFL had a problem out there, I was on the committee [looking at relocation possibilities] for years," Kroenke said. "We never got anything done. It's hard to get things done in California."

Hard, but, it turns out, not impossible.

Kroenke, 68, grew up in rural Missouri, where as a child he served as a bookkeeper to his father, a small business owner. He later attended the University of Missouri, where he also earned an MBA. He focused on real estate and operates a vast array of companies and interests, although he still carries himself with a calm, down-home style that belies his immense wealth. His preferred drink is a very cold Coors...
                                -01-26-2016, 08:52 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Kroenke Sparks NFL Chaos
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Kroenke sparks NFL chaos

Rams owner Stan Kroenke's plan to move the team to L.A. raises eyebrows

Originally Published: March 18, 2015
                                By David Fleming | ESPN The Magazine

THE FIRST PIECE of property Stan Kroenke ever cared about sits abandoned now, perched on the edge of an endless swath of farmland, sinking into the thick coffee-colored soil of central Missouri. Some of the original charm of Enos Stanley Kroenke's quaint childhood home in Mora (population: 424) remains intact. The green front door still features an old-fashioned brass and porcelain doorbell crank. The intricate wood detailing under the roof eaves has survived. But after years of neglect by the current owners, who converted the old water well into a TV antenna, any gust of wind can scatter giant flakes of gray house paint across the overgrown landscaping. "It was a beautiful little farmhouse at one time," whispers a neighbor. "It's not now."

Kroenke, the multibillionaire real estate developer and owner of the St. Louis Rams, once recounted how he used to sit on the narrow front porch here and, as the summer sun set behind the corn, soak in the faint, scratchy radio broadcasts of the St. Louis Cardinals with his father and grandfather. Alvin Kroenke so loved the Cardinals that he named his eldest son after two of 
the team's homegrown Hall of Famers: the hardworking Enos "Country" Slaughter and the quiet, humble effortless hitter Stan "the Man" Musial.

Today, though, the family's once idyllic front porch is full of gaping holes in its weather-worn floorboards. And Missourians fear that Kroenke's relationship with his native state 
is falling into similar disrepair.

Since January, the reclusive Kroenke, 67, has been maneuvering his NFL team west, out of Missouri and into what would be the crown jewel of his massive real estate development and sports empire: a proposed 80,000-seat NFL stadium in Inglewood, California, with a space-age retractable roof, open-air sides and a U.S.-record $1.86 billion budget.

Five decades after he left Mora, Kroenke has amassed a net worth of $6.3 billion, according to Forbes, and through his array of vineyards, ranches and strip malls, many of them anchored by Wal-Mart, he has become the eighth-largest landowner in the United States. All the while, he has collected sports franchises like vintage cars. Besides the Rams, he owns the English Premier League team Arsenal, valued at $1.3 billion, the Denver Nuggets, the Colorado Avalanche, MLS's Colorado Rapids, the Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League and Denver's Pepsi Center, where he maintains a 12,000-square-foot penthouse apartment on the top two floors, complete with a theater, a gym and pristine views of the Rockies.

Most of these, however, would become secondary knickknacks if Kroenke is indeed the man who brings...
                                -03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                If Stan Kroenke gets the Dodgers, doesn't L.A. get the Rams?
                                by MauiRam
                                Los Angeles Times
                                By T.J. Simers
                                February 1, 2012

Will St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke be the one who helps steer a football team back to Los Angeles?

I had dinner with Georgia Frontiere, where the Rams' owner chose to tell me about each of her seven husbands — four too many for me to make a newspaper deadline and still explain to the people of Los Angeles how she had just won approval to move her team to St. Louis.

I hopped into a waiting limo in Oakland, expecting to find Al Davis, but got a pair of Raiderettes instead. So I never did get around to meeting with Davis to discuss the possibility of the Raiders returning to L.A.

Former super-agent Michael Ovitz sent a martini to my hotel room and had Tom Cruise and Jerry West call to talk football and the prospect of bringing the NFL back to town. Ovitz also asked me not to park my Ford Escort in front of his Rockingham home so no one might think he was entertaining a poor person.

When it comes to the NFL and L.A., I find almost nothing too far-fetched. But now maybe comes the capper of them all.

If Frank McCourt chooses Stan Kroenke as the Dodgers' winning bidder, McCourt does something that Eli Broad, Ed Roski, Mayor Riordan, Peter O'Malley and so many others could not do.

He not only brings the NFL back to town, but he gives fans here the Rams again.

There is no other reason for Kroenke to bid on the Dodgers, even though there are NFL rules that prevent an owner from owning a baseball team in one city and a football team in another.

Imagine a statue of McCourt outside L.A.'s new football stadium, his arms outstretched and palms up in the hopes someone might drop a dollar or two in them.

Crazy, I know, but no more so than driving to a dog track in Tampa years ago with the daughter, her Notre Dame roommate, Rams executive John Shaw, his wife-to-be and Kroenke all jammed into a rental car.

I've seen Kroenke, who married the daughter of the co-founder of Wal-Mart, go pale losing a $2 show bet on some poky mutt. So I remain somewhat dubious he will be the last bidder standing after McCourt squeezes the very last nickel out of bidders.

But I do like the idea of greeters outside a stadium as fans arrive.

I can't imagine McCourt ripping Kroenke off, but Kroenke is the determined sort. He wanted badly to be a sports owner, and now he not only owns the Rams but the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Rapids and Mammoth as well as the British soccer powerhouse Arsenal.

He also owns a pair of wineries, and if you owned the Rams wouldn't you need a drink?

He has a home in Malibu, and he put together a sports TV network in Colorado, which the new owner of the Dodgers may want to do here.

If you live in St. Louis, today is the deadline for the Convention...
                                -02-02-2012, 09:48 AM
                              • MauiRam
                                Balzer: Kroenke is on NFL committee for new LA stadium
                                by MauiRam
                                By Howard Balzer
                                Friday, April 16, 2010

The Rams will officially be on the clock in less than one week when the NFL Draft begins at 6:30 Central time on Thursday. It now seems clear St. Louis is also on the clock when it comes to keeping its football team.

Alvin Reid’s column details his strong feelings about what St. Louis will likely have to do to keep from losing the NFL for the second time, and likely forever. Believe him. He and others that have talked and written about this in the last 72 hours aren’t alarmists. They are realists.

It is clear the stakes will be even higher should Stan Kroenke gain control of the Rams. On the same day the Los Angeles Times revealed another plan being put together to build a new stadium in the area, a chilling fact was discovered related to how close Kroenke is to what’s happening in L.A.

And no, I’m not talking about the fact he spends a lot of time on his boat at one of his homes in Malibu.

It turns out Kroenke is a member of the league’s Los Angeles Stadium Working Group committee. Roll that one around in your mind a few minutes. Everyone I mentioned that to Thursday was silent for a few seconds, and then said, “Oh, my God.”

It means Kroenke is privy to every detail, every plan, simply everything that is related to those trying to get a stadium built there.

For several years, Los Angeles businessman Ed Roski has been front and center in the efforts to build a stadium in the City of Industry.

The Times reported Thursday that businessmen Casey Wasserman and Tim Leiweke are considering a plan to build a stadium behind the Staples Center. They had tried a similar plan about eight years ago, but they shelved it when the Coliseum Commission tried to make its own bid. That, of course, eventually failed.

Wasserman is the founder and CEO of the Wasserman Media Group. Leiweke, a St. Louis native, was the assistant general manager of the St. Louis Steamers soccer team in 1979, and is now president and CEO of AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group), which owns the Staples Center and a 1,000-room hotel near the arena. Leiweke’s brother, Tod, is CEO of the Seattle Seahawks.

One line in the Times story said, “So far, the concept is in the preliminary stages, although the NFL is aware of it and is monitoring its progress.”

We’re quite sure Kroenke is doing just that.
                                -04-16-2010, 09:04 AM
                              • MauiRam
                                Bernie: Way too early to panic about Rams ..
                                by MauiRam
                                BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:00 am

When word got out that the Rams had been contacted by the group that's trying to recruit an NFL team for Los Angeles, it caused a wave of panic in St. Louis.

This apparently was headline news. Judging by the way the story was played up by St. Louis television stations, you would have thought a fleet of moving vans was out at Rams Park, loading up Sam Bradford and the team's other worldly possessions for an immediate transfer to LA.

But really, was anyone really shocked? Los Angeles obviously wants an NFL franchise to anchor a massive stadium project there. The Rams are one of several NFL teams drawing attention from LA for obvious reasons.

This isn't exactly a covert CIA operation. Teams with stadium issues in their home markets are being targeted. The Rams qualify; they'll probably be free to vacate their Edward Jones Dome lease after the 2014 season.

So naturally the Rams and owner Stan Kroenke are going to get a call from LA.

It would be more surprising if they didn't get a call from LA.

But just because someone expresses interest in your football team, it doesn't mean the team is moving. There's a long way to go in this game. As it is, the Rams are committed to playing four more seasons of football at The Ed. A lot can be done between now and then.

And if billionaire Philip Anschutz — the billionaire behind the LA project — wants a team, the Rams may be the wrong fit. He's apparently looking to purchase a team as part of moving it to LA.

Why would Kroenke want to sell the Rams to Anschutz? Kroenke helped bring the Rams to St. Louis in 1995 by stepping forward to become Georgia Frontiere's ownership partner and buying 40 percent of the team.

Kroenke patiently hung on to that 40 percent share for 15 years, until he finally had the chance to buy full control of the Rams. But before becoming the owner, Kroenke had to work out a complicated arrangement with the NFL to get around the league's rules prohibiting cross ownership.

Kroenke has owned the Rams for less than a year. Buying his way into the NFL inner circle of owners was obviously an important quest for Kroenke. So after going through 15 years of waiting to make it happen, why would Kroenke want to give up his seat in the owners' circle?

This makes no sense. And Kroenke is a buyer and a collector, not a seller. Just look at all of the sports properties he's purchased or developed: the NFL Rams, the NBA Denver Nuggets, the NHL Colorado Avalanche, the Pepsi Center in Denver, the MLS Colorado Rapids, a soccer stadium in Colorado, a pro lacrosse team in Colorado, and the Arsenal soccer club in the English Premier League.

Sure, Kroenke could try to move the team without selling it. But in my conversations with Kroenke, he has consistently and repeatedly stated...
                                -06-12-2011, 11:30 AM
                              Working...
                              X