Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of the Todd Gurley (Rd 1) pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of the Todd Gurley (Rd 1) pick?

I am in the confused camp. How do you feel?
    Super Excited: He's the next AP!
    31.33%
    Mildly Excited: He could be the missing piece but there were other options
    34.94%
    Neutral/Confused: He was the BPA but...why?
    13.25%
    Mildly Upset: He's good but why choose a RB?...at least they didn't draft a DE
    13.25%
    Super Upset: WHO IS HE GOING TO RUN BEHIND?!?
    7.23%

Re: What do you think of the Todd Gurley pick?

Not as confused as I am surprised. ;)

Gurley in our offense / running game is making more sense to me now, based on the H O P E that now we face an imperative requirement ... to make sure ... and secure ... a BETTER OL.

Comment

Torn ACL.....

Comment

Mildly excited, but not because I think he is a missing piece, but a better piece. We'll see.

Comment

I'm curious to those who hate the pick because we didn't take an OLine. Who would you have chosen at that point for the OLine? Andrus Peat was really the only other one available then that would have remotely made sense. The thing with Gurley is he is a game changer. Mason was good, Gurley is great. I like most of us would have gone another way but this is a pick that just makes too much sense coming from our coach. The draft is far from over. We have 5 more picks. We can get a starter or two on the OLine in rounds 2-4 easily lets not pretend you can only take Oline in the first.
          The restoration is complete!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
            Torn ACL.....
            Based purely on logic, that seems like a concern, but I'd be interested in what real numbers say. AD had similar injury concerns, Murray had multiple injuries (having watched him extensively in college, I never thought he'd handle a season like he just did), and I believe concern for Chris Johnson's health dropped him down a lot of boards. I also remember some injuries concerns back when Miami was churning out RB's (Gore and McGahee?). On the flip-side, I also recall hearing all the time how Cedric Benson never got hurt, but he was injury-plagued early in his career.

I've only mentioned a few RB's over a decently long period of time, so maybe I just cherry-picked, but I don't feel as if we've been very good at predicting RB health over the years. If our staff viewed Gurley as a transcendent player, I can see why they grabbed him. The only other guy I'd have been interested in was Parker, and he's not the champion of great health, either.

Comment

I like it!

With Scherff and Flowers off the board and Collins' future in question, the only other real option there for the OL was Peat. And if you think you can bring Barksdale back at right tackle, then the bigger need is guard, which could conceivably be addressed later and probably isn't where Peat would be best spent.

So instead of forcing the OL issue, the Rams grabbed one of the few elite talents still on the board. Gurley was considered by some a Top Ten talent who wasn't as highly ranked primarily due to the injury. But if you've checked him out and think he'll come back healthier, then it could be worth the risk, especially considering the other options. I think the Miami Herald had some kind of pre-draft report saying the risk of retearing the ACL was something like 2%.

This essentially makes Tre Mason the change of pace guy, I'm assuming? I guess this also puts an end to the talk of Zac Stacy and his utilization. That boat has likely sailed for good, even for his biggest defenders.

Comment

"St.Louis is stupid.. Why would they take Steven Jackson? They already have a hall-of-fame RB in Marshall Faulk!"

... Let's not make this mistake again! Gurley is a special talent. Had he not torn his ACL he would have likely been a top 5 pick. Dude takes our running offense to a whole new level.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
                  "St.Louis is stupid.. Why would they take Steven Jackson? They already have a hall-of-fame RB in Marshall Faulk!"

... Let's not make this mistake again! Gurley is a special talent. Had he not torn his ACL he would have likely been a top 5 pick. Dude takes our running offense to a whole new level.
                  You mean the new level like Steven Jackson did? How many playoff games did Jackson take us to, I seem to remember it was zero. You need an OLINE to have a running game. The Rams do not.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
                    You mean the new level like Steven Jackson did? How many playoff games did Jackson take us to, I seem to remember it was zero. You need an OLINE to have a running game. The Rams do not.
                    Because clearly the draft is over and we can't sign more free agents? It's far from over. We can get starters on the OLine still in the draft and in free agency. Gurley is a game changer no doubt about it and he helps the team.

Comment

Check out the Fisher & Snead post-selection presser in the Rams website.

Very good comments IMO, including TG's health. "[TG] is the RB of our future." - HC JFisher

Comment

Fisher and Snead Talk Todd Gurley

Comment

At the end of the day.....what matters is won/loss record. If rams are again in the negative....This regime has FAILED IMO

Comment

Heard TG's Combine presser. Sounds like a fine, smart young man even amidst pressing expectations.

And he's not even 21 years old yet.

Comment

I am confused... This pick just seemed to come out of no where. No real pickups for the OL which might have clued me that this pick was coming.

Still I'll have to wait till the end of the 3rd round.. And see where the Rams are going. But if its the plan to pick up one or two OL players, I still will be confused. IT takes 1 to 2 seasons on average to bring an Tackle or Guard up to speed in the NFL.

Personally if this is still part of the Rams rebuild program, I am likely going to be calling for someones head come the end of 2015

Comment