X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd Gurley aiming to participate at start of Rams training camp

Todd Gurley aiming to participate at start of Rams training camp

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- There's still no definitive timetable for St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley's return to the football field. But there has been progress in his rehabilitation from a torn left anterior cruciate ligament.

In fact, Gurley says there's been enough progress that he now has his eye on being able to participate in at least a portion of practice when training camp opens at the end of July.

"I'm coming up on seven months and a couple weeks," Gurley said. "I'm just going to keep progressing. I'll be here in July. I hope so for training camp, I hope I at least get to go do some individual stuff. So that's the next goal right there."

Whether Gurley is able to reach that goal remains to be seen but the past few weeks at least offered glimmers of hope. During the team's organized team activities, Gurley was regularly seen working on the side with athletic trainer Byron Cunningham. As the weeks went on, Gurley was able to do more and more.

After one practice, Gurley spent some time with running backs coach Ben Sirmans going through plays. Then, after one of the final OTAs, Gurley actually stayed with the rookies after a practice and went through some team walk-throughs.

"Things have been going pretty good," Gurley said. "I'm just doing whatever they tell me to do and just picking up on our offense more and more. That was my first time doing that little walk-through after. I usually do walk-through reps at the beginning of practice, too."

When Gurley hasn't been working out on the side or after practice, he's been spending the practice reps doing everything he can to sharpen his knowledge of the playbook. He was a regular visitor to the offensive huddle during OTAs, listening in on the play call and then going through what his role would be mentally as it happened.

For his part, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said the team will monitor Gurley's progress over the next month before deciding what he'll do at the outset of camp.

“It's hard to say right now," Fisher said. "I can't predict that. I know he's doing well. He'll rehab with us during the break. We're also going to give him his time off because he's entitled to his time off to go home for a few days. We're just going to see how he progresses. We have options, which are the PUP things and we just have to see where he is. If he's not PUP-ed then I think you could probably assume that he's going to play sooner than you think.”

Gurley and his rookie teammates participate in the NFL's rookie symposium this week and then have some down time, but Gurley said he plans to spend most of his "off time" in St. Louis continuing to work out and get healthy. He's hoping if he can make the necessary progress in that time then he will have a chance to get back into some individual drills upon the start of training camp. Rookies are set to report for the start of camp on July 27.

"I'll be back here and rehabbing and be out here on the field," Gurley said. "I think the coaches will still be here so I'll still be able to meet with my coach every now and then."

Re: Todd Gurley aiming to participate at start of Rams training camp

I hope Gurley starts against the Browns, and no sooner. Maybe I just have a Bradford hangover, but tossing a running back into the fire too soon after knee surgery seems very risky ..

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
      I hope Gurley starts against the Browns, and no sooner. Maybe I just have a Bradford hangover, but tossing a running back into the fire too soon after knee surgery seems very risky ..
      I agree, Gurley needs to be 100%, and fully tested before he sees any action. Mason and Cunningham are more than capable of getting the job done to start the season.

Comment

Hey Maui,

My thoughts exactly. Take the time and then some.
        Better safe then sorry

Comment

If they PUP him at the start of the regular season , pretty sure he won't be allowed to play until the whiner game. It's a six game thing. And to PUP him for the regular season, he has to have been on it through Pre, so meetings only, no practice. Really going to put him behind in his development. I'm all for being cautious but I hope they let him practice & just bring him along slowly.Getting him prepped if not playing through the first few games is worth the roster spot ,imo.Maybe it WILL be the Browns game when he actually first plays,anyway, but he'll have a couple months more practice under his belt.

Comment

The thing is, everyone knows Gurley is meant to be a top talent, but everyone also knows about his knee injuries. If you are a defender, are you not going to dive at that knee when making a tackle?
            @EssexRam_

Comment

i know these guys love to hit....but minus a couple players that are truly scum human beings...

i doubt they'd be gunning to try and end his career....

Comment

Originally posted by citr92 View Post
                i know these guys love to hit....but minus a couple players that are truly scum human beings...

Not talking about purposefully ending careers. But if you can put a top weapon of the opposition out of the game, it makes the rest of the game easier
                See: Julius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders
                @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by citr92 View Post

Against a Gregg Williams team...I'm not saying,I'm just saying.

Comment

Hope this isn't Sam Bradford ver 2.0. Rush back from major injury only to get hurt again....
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

I would much rather wait and make sure he's fully healed before he sets foot on the field. Yes, I know he can already run like a striped-ass ape, but all it takes is one misplant of the foot and he's back in the OR.
                      temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                      RAMS!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                        Todd Gurley Expected To Start Camp On Rams' NFI List
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        Todd Gurley expected to start camp on Rams' NFI list

By Gregg Rosenthal
                        Around The NFL Editor
                        Published: July 21, 2015 at 11:49 a.m.

Todd Gurley was drafted No. 10 overall by the St. Louis Rams with the future in mind. In the short term, he's not ready to return to the field.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Gurley is expected to be on Non-Football Injury list to start training camp, according to sources informed of his situation. Rapoport notes that this was the team's plan when the drafted him, and they can take him off the list whenever he is fully ready.

There have been no reports about a setback with Gurley's knee throughout the offseason. The team was noncommittal about Gurley being ready for camp, but coach Jeff Fisher did say in "you could probably assume" Gurley will play sooner than you think.

There are a lot of big position battles heading into camp. As we discussed on Tuesday's podcast, Gurley's battle against his own health is one of the key stories to watch in August. The Rams had the second best rookie running back in the league last year in Tre Mason.

If Gurley can handle at least half the running load early in the season, this should be one of the most exciting backfields in the league. After years of building and legitimate excuses in St. Louis, Fisher needs to win more than seven games soon. Gurley's health is a key factor in doing so.
                        -07-21-2015, 02:04 PM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        Ten Burning Rams Questions: When Will Todd Gurley Debut?
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        Ten burning Rams questions: When will Todd Gurley debut?

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Training camps around the league are either underway or will be before the end of the week. The St. Louis Rams officially get underway on Friday.

In the days leading up to the start of camp, we'll take a look at 10 burning questions facing the Rams as they head toward the 2015 season.

No. 6: When will rookie running back Todd Gurley be back at full speed?

Upon spending the No. 10 overall pick in this year's NFL draft on Georgia's Gurley, the Rams made it abundantly clear they have no intention of rushing Gurley back from his torn left anterior cruciate ligament.
                        Todd Gurley worked out on the sideline by himself as he continues his rehab from knee surgery. AP Photo/Jeff Roberson
                        "This is the running back of our future," coach Jeff Fisher said. "It makes no sense to put him in a bad situation sooner than we have to."

The question then becomes, when does that future begin? During organized team activities and the offseason program in the spring, Gurley was limited to working on the side with the athletic training staff. He did some straight-ahead running and light cutting and even participated in some team walk-throughs.

At the end of OTAs, Gurley told ESPN.com he hoped to be able to participate in individual drills at the outset of camp with a goal of working his way back into practice within a couple of weeks. The Rams confirmed Tuesday that Gurley will begin training camp on the active roster after he passed his conditioning test.

That likely doesn't mean Gurley is ready to go full speed yet, but that he'll be able to do some individual drills before easing his way into full team work. That Gurley is not landing on the non-football injury list or any other designation can only be viewed as a good sign. In fact, Gurley appears to be on or even slightly ahead of the schedule the team envisioned when it drafted him.

So while a precise date for Gurley's return is probably still a bit off, there's a real chance he'll be able to return to practice during the preseason and be available in some capacity for the Week 1 meeting against the Seattle Seahawks.
                        -07-29-2015, 09:47 AM
                      • MauiRam
                        Gurley not just a spectator as Rams open camp
                        by MauiRam
                        By Jim Thomas

Highly touted running back Todd Gurley took his first steps toward game day Friday as the Rams opened their 21st training camp as a St. Louis-based franchise.
                        To be sure, they were baby steps for Gurley, about 15 minutes of individual drills before a crowd of 1,181 on a hot Friday at the team’s Earth City complex. The Rams undoubtedly expect much more than 15 minutes of fame in the coming seasons for Gurley, the No. 10 overall pick in the draft out of Georgia.

“It was pretty exciting,” said the soft-spoken Gurley, wearing a brace on his surgically repaired left knee. “I’m just glad to be out there.”

Since draft day on April 30, Gurley’s time with the Rams has been limited to rehab, rehab ... and more rehab. So being able to do anything on the football field was a milestone or sorts.

“Instead of being over there with the trainer, just being with the guys and getting those 15 minutes in,” he said.

When Gurley passed his conditioning test Tuesday, and did so in impressive fashion, that ended any thoughts the Rams may have had about putting him on the physically unable to perform list.

With the way Gurley’s knee was progressing, why just have him standing around at the start of training camp? Although it is clear the Rams will be cautious about working Gurley back into action, why not have him doing something?

At least that’s how coach Jeff Fisher looked at it.

“We just felt in fairness to him, the PUP thing — it just didn’t make sense,” Fisher said. “Where the kid’s gonna stand there and watch. We want to build him. We want to add individual reps. We want him to be available to practice.

“Todd did a great job on the conditioning tests,” Fisher said. “He’s not 100 percent; he’s not ready to play in a game right now. (But) our feeling in the decision was based on the importance for him to be able to participate not only in the walk-throughs ... but also in the individual stuff.

“We’ll just kinda add things as we move forward. Timetable-wise, I don’t know. But I’m very, very encouraged as to where he is right now.”

While most of the team got away from Rams Park during the five-week break from the end of workouts in June to the start of training camp this week, Gurley was around for much of that time continuing his rehab work.

Any pro athlete who has undergone an anterior cruciate ligament repair will tell you how grueling, mentally and physically, the rehab process can be. But Fisher says Gurley has thrown himself into the work wholeheartedly.

“We couldn’t ask any more from him,” Fisher said. “There’s no complaints as far as what’s he’s doing. Every day he comes in with enthusiasm and energy knowing that he’s just about there.”

A measuring stick of sorts for Gurley has been fellow running back Isaiah Pead, who also is recovering...
                        -08-01-2015, 11:56 AM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        Todd Gurley Making Progress, But Rams Won't Rush Him
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        Todd Gurley making progress, but Rams won't rush him

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The pre-training camp news that St. Louis Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley would begin camp on the active roster was met with plenty of optimism that he'd be back breaking tackles and scoring touchdowns in short order.

But perhaps nobody knows better than the Rams that what amounts to rehab progress one day can quickly turn into a painful setback. That's especially true when it comes to anterior cruciate ligaments.

It was just a year ago that the Rams were singing the praises of quarterback Sam Bradford and left tackle Jake Long in their respective recoveries from torn ACLs. Bradford went on to re-tear his ACL in the third preseason game. Long made it almost halfway through the season before re-injuring his knee.

So even if they stick to the usual platitudes about every injury being different, the lessons of the past are hard to ignore.

"Our approach with Todd is just that it’s a common sense, medical approach," coach Jeff Fisher said. "That includes everybody. We’re going to take care of Todd and get him ready to play. All of those decisions are based on information and progress and his commitment and where we think he is, not where I think he is from a head coach’s standpoint, but collectively from (director of sports medicine and performance) Reggie (Scott) and through the doctors and everybody.”

The Rams are not yet a full week into this training camp, but so far Gurley's practice routine has remained mostly static. He's participated in individual drills, worked with the team in walk-throughs and attended meetings.

"It’s frustrating, because you know, you just feel like you can go or you know you just feel like you can do much more than the trainers or the coaches are giving you," Gurley said. "But, they are just trying to protect you and they’ve been through this, they have years of experience. So, no need to rush it."

So far, at least, Gurley is remaining patient, though Fisher expects there to come a time when Gurley begins campaigning to do more and push the envelope.

"That’ll become a problem eventually I’m quite sure," Fisher said.

For now, Gurley and the Rams are sticking to the plan.
                        -08-05-2015, 11:39 AM
                      • GroundChuck
                        Gurley passed physical - will start camp on active list
                        by GroundChuck
                        The Score just reported that Todd Gurley passed his physical and will be a go for training camp.
                        Edit - The Score got their info from Jim Thomas.
                        -07-28-2015, 12:27 PM
                      Working...
                      X