X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What A Nick Foles Contract Extension With The Rams Could Look Like

What a Nick Foles contract extension with the Rams could look like

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have made no secret of their interest in getting a contract extension done with quarterback Nick Foles sooner than later.

Whether you agree or disagree with that intent is really not important at this point. To that end, I've already covered why the Rams' desire to make such a move makes sense and offered some reasons why it wouldn't. ESPN Insider Field Yates also offered some thoughts on the pros and cons of such a deal.

So there's plenty to chew on there in evaluating the Rams' efforts to get something done. With that in mind, let's move past that debate and focus on what Foles might cost moving forward.

-- As both Yates and I wrote, part of the reason the Rams might have interest in signing Foles now before he plays for the team is the idea that they could get him at something of a bargain. Foles is coming off an injury-plagued season in which his numbers dropped dramatically from his 2013 output. That means a potential contract would be based on a body of work with one excellent year and one so-so year that included an injury. Trying to find comparable quarterbacks with similar career performance is difficult. But what we can do is find players who have achieved about as much as Foles from a team standpoint. Cincinnati's Andy Dalton would be a good jumping off point. Dalton has led the Bengals to the playoffs four times but has yet to win a postseason contest. Dalton signed a six-year deal averaging $16 million per year in 2014 but that deal isn't nearly as daunting as it might look. Dalton received only $17 million in fully guaranteed money, all of which has already been paid out. Now, the Bengals have Dalton under contract at relatively large numbers moving forward but he's essentially operating on a year-to-year basis. For the Rams, following a similar path with Foles -- paying a good chunk up front and then going essentially year to year after -- would make a lot of sense.

-- Another way of looking at Foles' next deal is to examine his role in an offense that figures to be run-heavy and not ask him to throw the ball 40 times a game. Kansas City's Alex Smith might offer a fair comparison here. Smith signed a bigger deal than Dalton, garnering a four-year deal averaging $18 million per season with a guarantee of $45 million. But again, that guarantee is a bit misleading. Smith got an $18 million signing bonus up front and his $11 million base salary in 2015 is guaranteed. Beyond that, his $14 million base salary in 2016 is guaranteed only for injury (or if he's still on the roster on the fifth day of the 2016 league year). So after this season, the Chiefs could theoretically part ways with Smith and only owe the remainder of his prorated signing bonus for the rest of his deal against the cap. It seems unlikely the Rams would want to go as high as Smith's deal on a per-year basis but the structure would again make sense in terms of paying a big chunk upfront then having flexibility beyond the first season or two.

-- All told, it's unclear how far the Rams are willing to extend themselves for a deal with Foles. Likewise, it's unclear what Foles will want to sign a deal. For his part, Foles has already said he'd like to stay in St. Louis but he's also made it clear that business matters will be left to his agent. That makes finding a middle ground a bit more difficult but looking at the going rate for a quarterback in the NFL now should offer a reasonable guideline for what a contract might look like. The guess here is that something like a four-year deal worth an average of somewhere between $12-14 million per season with about $20 million in "true" guarantees paid out in the first year or two would make sense for both sides. It would lock Foles in while offering him another bite at the apple in a few years and allow the Rams flexibility moving forward to sign their many other players scheduled to hit the open market.

Re: What A Nick Foles Contract Extension With The Rams Could Look Like

If we could lock down Foles between 12-14 million I wouldn't mind. I'd wait for the season to play out though. If he shows he is capable of taking us to the playoffs then I'd happily offer him that. If not, I'd give him less and draft a young guy to compete with. If he doesn't want less, you let him walk and draft a guy. This draft will have multiple good young QB's (Cardale Jones, Connor Cook, Cody Kessler, Christian Hackenberg).

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
      Nick Foles gets $88 million contract from Jaguars
      by Nick
      That's... a lot of money for Foles....
      -03-11-2019, 02:26 PM
    • Nick
      PFT: Foles likely gone by start of season
      by Nick
      Will Nick Foles be a member of the Rams in 2016?
      Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2016, 10:17 AM EDT

As the Broncos continue to turn over each and every stone in search of a potential quarterback to compete with Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian, here’s a name that hasn’t been mentioned: Rams quarterback Nick Foles.

On one hand, Foles already has earned a $6 million roster bonus for 2016, and his $1.75 million base salary for the coming year is fully guaranteed. On the other hand, there’s a sense that Foles has been tabbed as the odd man out, with Case Keenum, Sean Mannion, and whoever the Rams draft filling out the primary three spots on the depth chart for the first year back in L.A.

One source with knowledge of the dynamics already has predicted that Foles likely will be gone by the start of training camp, and that he definitely will not be on the team before Week One.

So why haven’t the Rams already moved on? For starters, the $6 million roster bonus was fully guaranteed as of last year. The only extra obligation arising from keeping Foles into March 2016 came from the base salary. If Foles is traded, the base salary goes with him.

The financial circumstances could make Foles attractive as a trade candidate. At a time, for example, when the Broncos unsuccessfully are squeezing 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick to take only $7 million this year, the Broncos could get Foles for exactly 25 percent of that amount.

Yes, the deal comes with $4.5 million in incentives. But if Foles does whatever he needs to do to earn those amounts, that’s presumably good news for his new team.

The bigger problem comes from 2017, when Foles’ salary shoots to $10.75 million. So it would be a one-year arrangement under the current deal.

Another problem comes from the fact that Foles simply wasn’t very good last year. Which is likely one of the reasons the Broncos haven’t kicked tires on the possibility of acquiring him.

From the Rams’ perspective, it’s likely that they’ll squat on Foles unless and until they draft a quarterback later this month. Once that happens, with maybe a free-falling Jared Goff or Paxton Lynch becoming the next potential Roman Gabriel, John Hadl, Pat Haden, Vince Ferragamo, or Jim Everett, Foles will be adding a new city to a travel itinerary that has taken him from Philly to St. Louis to L.A. in the last 13 months.
      -04-10-2016, 09:17 AM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Former Rams QB Nick Foles agrees to deal with Chiefs By Chris Wesseling
      by r8rh8rmike
      Former Rams QB Nick Foles agrees to deal with Chiefs

By Chris Wesseling
      Around the NFL Writer
      Published: Aug. 4, 2016 at 12:08 a.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs have found some insurance at the quarterback position.

The Chiefs have agreed to terms with former Rams quarterback Nick Foles, NFL Media's Mike Garafolo reported, via a source informed of the clubs talking contract with Foles' representatives. The Cowboys and the Vikings had also extended offers to the former Los Angeles Ramsquarterback, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport added.

Rapoport added Foles will receive $1.75 million this year, not including incentives, according to a source involved with the deal. The Chiefs have an option for 2017 and his salary -- from $6.75 million to $16 million -- is based on his 2016 performance.

It comes as no surprise that Chiefs coach Andy Reid was open to a reunion with a quarterback he selected in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft. In fact, Garafolo reported in February of 2013 that Reid was interested in bringing Foles along to Kansas City if Philadelphia were open to a trade.

Reid viewed Foles as a future starter at the time and has long been a believer in his talent.

The Chiefs do have a pair of promising young arms in Tyler Bray and 2014 fifth-round pick Aaron Murray. When Chase Daniel followed offensive coordinator Doug Pederson to the Eagles, though, Reid was left without an experienced option behind starter Alex Smith. Neither Bray nor Murray has ever thrown a pass in an NFL regular-season contest....
      -08-04-2016, 11:26 AM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Nick Foles' Transition To Rams' Offense An Important Piece Of OTA's
      by r8rh8rmike
      Nick Foles' transition to Rams' offense an important piece of OTAs

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- At the news conference introducing new St. Louis Rams quarterback Nick Foles back in March, coach Jeff Fisher lamented the fact that he couldn't simply get Foles in the building and up to speed on the team's offense right away.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, there are rules on when players can be in their training facilities, who they can meet with and what they can do when they're there. For his part, Foles was eager to get started after the Philadelphia Eagles traded him and a 2016 second-round pick to the Rams for Sam Bradford. But he had to wait.

Now that waiting is over and as the Rams began organized team activities on Tuesday, Foles can set about getting to know an offense that figures to be quite different from the one he ran under Chip Kelly with the Eagles.

In Kelly's wide-open, spread based system, Foles was asked to do a lot of things that he probably won't in St. Louis. Despite not qualifying as a running quarterback, the Eagles still asked Foles to run read-option out of the shotgun the majority of the time. Over the past two seasons, Foles lined up in the shotgun on 645 drop-backs and was under center for just 42 snaps in 21 games. As a team, the Eagles had their quarterbacks drop back out of shotgun formation 1,188 times, the most in the league and clear of second-place San Diego by 38 snaps.

By comparison, the Rams have had 756 drop backs out of the shotgun over the past two seasons, which is second-fewest in the league. So not only will Foles be adjusting to a new power run-heavy scheme, he will even be adjusting to taking snaps under center on a regular basis.

One thing that won't be new for Foles in St. Louis is throwing play-action passes, long ones.

The Rams didn't use play-action as much as they'd like last season, opting for such calls on 97 dropbacks for the season (tied with the Jets and Falcons for 22nd in the NFL). But that easily could be a product of not having an offensive line capable of protecting the quarterback or a running game operating at a high level on a consistent basis.

Fisher has repeatedly said he'd like his offense to be centered on the run with a successful run game setting up play-action opportunities down the field.

On play-action, Rams quarterbacks were 63-of-90 for 732 yards with seven touchdowns and three interceptions for a passer rating of 108.7, which ranked seventh best in the league on such plays in 2014. Given that success, it's something they would like to do more of in 2015.

That could be a good fit for Foles, who in two seasons as the starter in Philadelphia averaged 9.1 yards per attempt with 21 touchdowns and three interceptions on play-action passes.

Foles still has...
      -06-03-2015, 09:47 AM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Foles Feeling At Home With Rams
      by r8rh8rmike
      Foles Feeling at Home with Rams

Posted Jun 24, 2015
      Myles Simmons Rams Insider@MylesASimmons

Though he’s been a member of the Rams for only a short time, quarterback Nick Foles has already made enough of a positive impact to trigger talk of a contract extension.

“We’ve had some discussions,” head coach Jeff Fisher said last week. “I think what Nick has done early in his career -- he’s proven he can get the job done on the field.

“He’s carried things on here and so we’re going to continue to talk and see if we can get something that’s good for both sides,” Fisher added.

While there are no guarantees a deal will be worked out, all indications are that Foles has been a great fit for St. Louis. That’s come not only from Fisher, but also offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, players like Jared Cook, and the quarterback himself.

“I felt like this was home from when I got here, and got to meet the guys, and talk to the coaches,” Foles said at OTAs last week. “That’s nothing against Philly. I had a great time in Philly and I built strong relationships. But, just how the team was when they brought me in here and how they treated me, and how my teammates have helped me grow, and the relationships that I’ve built -- I want to be here.”

Foles has talked plenty about being comfortable with the team, but last week he also said that he’s feeling the same way about playing in Cignetti’s offense. Given that the Rams have completed only the offseason program, Foles said he knows more to install will come in training camp and the regular season.

“There’s always going to be new things you’re going to learn,” Foles said. “Each play based on front and coverage -- it can change. So it’s just continuing to learn and continuing to grow to where it’s just second nature -- where I feel extremely comfortable just seeing everything. But it’s getting there.”

With Foles coming from the Eagles, one criticism has been levied that perhaps the quarterback’s stellar 2013 season -- in which he threw 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions -- was a product of the offensive system. But that’s not an issue Foles has given any attention.

“People are going to say what they’re going to say. They always have throughout my entire career,” Foles said. “Each and every player deals with it. The way I do is [say], I’m just going to play. I know who I am. I know what kind of player I am and my job is to help my team win games.”

And winning is exactly what the quarterback helped the Eagles do, as he held a 14-4 QB record over the past two seasons with the club. As general manager Les Snead said at the time of the March trade, the signal-caller’s victories in a tough division was one of the factors that made him an attractive addition. Foles said last week that success sometimes gets lost when critics find fault solely based...
      -06-26-2015, 03:29 PM
    Working...
    X