Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I guess that Gurley kid is pretty good...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I guess that Gurley kid is pretty good...

433 rushing yards on 68 attempts for a 6.36 average over the last three games, Rams 2-1 in that span.

It's still early, but the Rams may have found their response to the question posed earlier this year regarding the last time they hit a home run on an offensive draft pick.

Re: So, I guess that Gurley kid is pretty good...

Just special man. The blocking was average at best and he just continues to find ways to make plays. It's been a while since we've had a playmaker like Todd on our offense (2006 SJ39?). Gurley is an absolute animal and will be an absolute joy to watch for MANY years here on the Rams. Hopefully we can get into the post-season and make his career worth-while and not waste it.

Comment

I'll admit that I questioned the Gurley pick as a luxury, and the fact that he was coming off major knee surgery. I'm happy to say I have never been more wrong. GREAT pick by Fisher/Snead. They obviously saw what he was capable of, and now we're all seeing it. Gurley is special. He has amazing vision, power, burst, speed, and intelligence. His impact reminds me of Eric Dickerson. If he stays healthy, he's a slam dunk home run.

Comment

Gurley is our offense. Without him our offense is even worse. Tavon has grown in year three and doing good, but without Gurley, we are nothing. Love that beast!!!

Comment

Gurley was a beast again today. I had to miss the 4th quarter of today's game and just saw the replay of his second TD run. It's been a while since we've had a back that can do that.

Another great day behind a line that really didn't do a whole lot for him. He's just so hard to bring down. What's crazy to think about is that he's probably going to be better next year, when he's a year removed from the surgery and the line has more experience. Like Tampa said, he's carrying our offense all by himself.

Comment

He's alright, I guess.

Seriously, this kid is special. He's going so fast that he doesn't look like he's moving as fast as he actually is. It's insane.
            Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Watching Donald on the D and Gurley on the O just give me a lot of hope for the future....

And the great thing is that due to Gurley our passing game will probably have an easier time also as everybody will have to stack up to try and stop him. Now we only need to find a way to keep Cook of the field and the I think we have a good chance of going to the PLAYOFFS

Comment

To expand on the point in my good, bad and ugly post, gurley missed today by 12 yards tying dickerson's record of three consecutive 140 yard games for a rookie (which i predict he will bread by the end of the year). To those of us that have been Rams fans long enough to remember Dickerson's rookie year, let me say that if Gurley was running behind the same offensive line that Dickerson ran behind in his rookie year, he would be good for 200 plus yards a week.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                  To those of us that have been Rams fans long enough to remember Dickerson's rookie year, let me say that if Gurley was running behind the same offensive line that Dickerson ran behind in his rookie year, he would be good for 200 plus yards a week.
                  It boggles the mind, doesn't it? The difference between what Gurley is running behind, and what Dickerson ran behind, is night and day. 200 a week might even be selling Gurley short.

Is there a better back in the NFL than Gurley?

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                    It boggles the mind, doesn't it? The difference between what Gurley is running behind, and what Dickerson ran behind, is night and day. 200 a week might even be selling Gurley short.

Is there a better back in the NFL than Gurley?
                    Call me biased, but no. There is NO RB in the league today playing better than Todd Gurley. As our OL gels, get's better, and Gurley is furthered removed from ACL surgery, he is only bound to get better. Scary thought for NFC West teams.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
                      Call me biased, but no. There is NO RB in the league today playing better than Todd Gurley. As our OL gels, get's better, and Gurley is furthered removed from ACL surgery, he is only bound to get better. Scary thought for NFC West teams.
                      Call me biased as well. Like you, I don't think there is any RB in the NFL playing better than Gurley. He is thrilling to watch, a difference maker, and a game changer, and he does all that behind a poor OL. It's exciting to think he and the OL are only going to get better. Probably frightening for the opposition.

Comment

I am very optimistic about this young man....I hope he continues to grow and be productive. So far, early in his career, it is very promising.....

Comment

Hopefully he has put all his troubles behind and will have a career!
                          Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                            To expand on the point in my good, bad and ugly post, gurley missed today by 12 yards tying dickerson's record of three consecutive 140 yard games for a rookie (which i predict he will bread by the end of the year). To those of us that have been Rams fans long enough to remember Dickerson's rookie year, let me say that if Gurley was running behind the same offensive line that Dickerson ran behind in his rookie year, he would be good for 200 plus yards a week.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                            In fairness to Dickerson, his consecutive 3 game stretch went 192 yds, 199 yds and 142 yds. I think it's a tall order for Gurley to break that record, maybe he could tie it, but his best chance at that was today.

Dickerson also had a consecutive 4 game stretch of over 100 yds in his rookie year.

I think it's more likely that Gurley could break that record, but another tall order. Dickerson also had a stretch of 7 in 8 consecutive over 100 yds in that rookie year. And 9 in 11 consecutive over 100 yds

But yeah, the kid is pretty darn good !!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam
                              Let's talk about Todd Gurley...
                              AvengerRam
                              Let's talk about Todd Gurley,
                              Is he where you thought, he'd be?
                              Let's talk about all the good things,
                              and the bad things that may be...

Sorry, time-warped to 1991 for a second there...

So, what do you think about Todd Gurley at this point in his career?
                              He's an elite player at his position who has been hindered by a sub-par offense and poor OL.
                              27.27%
                              I still think he's a very good RB, but he's not quite elite.
                              9.09%
                              He's a big-play guy, not a grinder, and big plays only happen when there are holes.
                              18.18%
                              The offense/OL hasn't helped, but I don't think his effort level is where it needs to be.
                              13.64%
                              The offense/OL hasn't helped, but I think he made a mistake by dropping so much weight.
                              9.09%
                              I think he was overrated last year due to a few flashy plays, and this year is the real Gurley.
                              4.55%
                              2015 and 2016 paint such different pictures that I really can't evaluate him.
                              18.18%
                              -12-06-2016, 02:08 PM
                            • MauiRam
                              Todd Gurley could be Los Angeles’ next big star 
                              MauiRam
                              By Rich Hammond

OXNARD >> If, as the saying goes, stars are made, not born, what about those who are relocated?

Todd Gurley is poised to be the next big thing in Southern California sports. The Rams running back still might go unrecognized walking down local streets, particularly when his trademark shoulder-length dreadlocks are pulled back, but given his recent face time on national TV, that seems certain to change.

“Carl’s Jr.,” teammate Benny Cunningham said with a wry grin after a recent practice. “That’s his new nickname. You should call him that. He will like that.”

Gurley has received copious good-natured ribbing for his role as as a burger-pitcher. In the commercial, Gurley — who speaks only a few words — is greeted by an agent and selfie-taking admirers as he coolly strolls through an office while wearing a hat with a generic “L.A.’’ logo.

“Welcome to California, Todd Gurley,” shouts the agent, played by actor/comedian Jay Mohr.

And welcome, perhaps, to a void that needs to be filled, that of major Southern California sports icon.

Kobe Bryant has retired after an iconic 20-year career with the Lakers. Clayton Kershaw arguably is the best pitcher in baseball, but many viewers can’t even watch Dodger games. The Angels’ Mike Trout is highly marketable but seems reticent to display charisma in a public way. The top players for the Kings and Ducks are more likely to pitch products in Canada.

Chris Paul is a contender, but at best he’s a very good player on a good Clippers team, and that franchise still is attempting to dribble out of the Lakers’ shadow.

The throne has been vacated, and Gurley can fill it. He’s telegenic, intelligent, community-minded and is coming off a 2015 rookie season in which he rushed for the third-most yards in the NFL (1,106).

It also doesn’t hurt that Gurley is represented by Roc Nation Sports, the agency founded by music star Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter.

“The region is looking for someone to embrace,” said David Carter, Executive Director of USC’s Sports Business Institute, “and not only because football is back but because Kobe Bryant’s presence will be diminished. And as long as the Dodgers struggle to get their bearings on TV, their stars will not have as constant a light shone on them. All of this makes his timing ideal.”

There’s only one question: Is this market ready to accept Gurley as a hometown hero? As of now, three months before the start of the NFL season, Gurley remains an outsider, and something of a quiet one.

Bryant arrived as a teenager and grew up here. Shaquille O’Neal and Manny Ramirez were imported, but announced their arrivals with boisterous enthusiasm. Gurley? He’s been placed gently on Southern California’s porch like a FedEx package from St. Louis. The locals are just beginning to unwrap him.

It’s a...
                              -06-12-2016, 02:54 PM
                            • MoonJoe
                              Todd Gurley's Wish for the Season
                              MoonJoe
                              By Dan Carson – FOX Sports
                              Sep 6, 2016 at 10:52a ET

Todd Gurley is arguably the most tantalizing fantasy quantity of 2016.

After flashing brilliance and steamrolling his way to Offensive Rookie of the Year honors in 2015, the St. Louis Rams' second-year back enters the coming season with high expectations for a breakout year.

But the fantasy owner fever dream where the Rams force-feed the ball to their 22-year-old star like foie gras doesn't appear to be on the table, according to Gurley.
                              In a feature published Tuesday by Bleacher Report's Dan Pompei, Gurley revealed that he would like to keep his rushes between 20 and 25 takes per game and will be increasing his role in the Rams' passing attack.

"It's cool getting more involved in the passing game," Gurley said. "Better than having 11 guys coming straight at you when you are running the ball. You get to at least avoid a couple hits."
                              Rams offensive coordinator says Gurley is transitioning naturally into his increased role.
                              "He didn't do it a lot in college, but he's a natural catcher," Boras said. "He's learning a lot about protection."

"Nobody wants to carry the ball 30 times a game," Gurley said. "It's not the 1980s no more."

Indeed, it is no longer the '80s. And while they share similar frames, Gurley isn't Eric Dickerson. He's still gaining confidence from an ACL tear that wiped out the back end of his final year at Georgia in 2014, and maintains that this year will be special because he's finally stopped worrying about his injury.

"I feel I can play a lot better than I did this year when I can focus on football and not worry about my knee swelling up," Gurley said. "Last year, I was focused more on my knee."
                              Now, Gurley isn't focused on swelling so much as building.

"I used to hate doing legs until I messed my knee up," Gurley said. "Now I know I need to do legs. Everybody says they hate leg day. That's my day."

“Leg day—the vegetables of lifting.”...
                              -09-06-2016, 09:33 AM
                            • r8rh8rmike
                              Fassel On Gurley Struggling With Confidence
                              r8rh8rmike
                              Here is what Fassel said when asked about Gurley's confidence level:...
                              -12-31-2016, 09:00 AM
                            • RockinRam
                              Gurley on Second NFL Season: 'Like a Nightmare'
                              RockinRam
                              • By Chris Wesseling
                              • Around the NFL Writer
                              • Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 02:53 p.m.
                              • Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 03:05 p.m.

After a successful debut campaign as the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year, Rams running back Todd Gurley suffered through a miserable second season.

Mired in an inept Los Angeles attack, Gurley clearly regressed as a playmaker, finishing with the lowest yards-per-carry figure (3.2) of any back with 150 or more rushing attempts.

In a Tuesday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, Gurley was asked to categorize his 2016 season.

"Like a nightmare. I still can't believe the season," Gurley said. "It was definitely a tough year, a learning experience for me. To be 4-12 this year? I don't want to feel that feeling again."
                              Gurley made news in December, describing the Rams' attack as a "middle school offense" in the wake of back-to-back lopsided losses that led directly to the firing of coach Jeff Fisher.

Provided a forum to explain that criticism, Gurley clarified that he was speaking strictly of the players rather than the coaching staff.

"The week before, we played New England. I think we probably scored one touchdown and that was the last two minutes of the game," Gurley explained. "Then we go play Atlanta, and they probably put more points up on us on defense than we actually put up on offense."

"It was frustrating. I kind of told it like it was, kind of how we looked. It was too many mental errors from everybody, including myself, just turning the ball over. You just can't have that."

Gurley was gracious enough to let the coaching staff off the hook, but Fisher's offenses were dysfunctional for long stretches of his five-year tenure with the Rams.

Erupting for more than 125 rushing yards in each of his first four NFL starts, Gurley drew lofty comparisons to Hall of Famers such as Gale Sayers and Eric Dickerson early in his rookie season.

His rare talent was so obvious at the time that NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger raved, "My mom could scout Todd Gurley."

Since that torrid start to his career, however, Gurley has reached the century mark just once in 24 games. No other running back since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger has played all of his team's games and averaged as many carries per game as Gurley (17.4) without reaching 100 rushing yards at least once in a season, per NFL Research.

The Rams have enlisted new head coach Sean McVay to pull No. 1 overall draft pick Jared Goff out of his rookie-year tailspin. Beyond that quarterback-whisperer responsibility, McVay will have to find a way to free Gurley from the bad habits he picked up behind an offensive line that is too often overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage.

The talent is there. Can McVay and his staff unlock the potential in 2017?...
                              -01-24-2017, 06:32 PM
                            Working...
                            X