Foles not leading us to the promised land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foles not leading us to the promised land

Foles looked basically terrible today. I am not convinced he is the QB for us going forward.
    What say you?

Re: Foles not leading us to the promised land

I'm disappointed, and expect more from Foles. There is no doubt he's dealing with protection issues, receiver issues, and play calling issues, but when he has time to throw, he often doesn't see open receivers, makes errant throws, and appears tentative throwing to open receivers while rolling out of the pocket. His inconsistency is frustrating.

That said, I haven't given up on him yet.

Comment

It would help if a few more balls where caught...might even help if the OL pass blocks

But by the time the Rams iron all that out the poor guy will have Bulger Syndrome, so damned if you do fix the other issues with the offense and damned if you don't....that's being double damned

Comment

Originally posted by GroundChuck View Post
        Foles looked basically terrible today. I am not convinced he is the QB for us going forward.
        What say you?
        Who are you going to replace him with?

He hasn't even played a full year as a Ram, and he is plagued by bad pass blocking, WRs/TEs who don't get open and drop balls. What QB is going to succeed in that scenario?

Foles has made plenty of mistakes there is no doubt about it, but I have a hard time pinning this mess all on him as of now. Fisher neglecting the O-Line, and not getting some type of WRs and TEs who contribute consistently is more of a problem than Foles is as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by ramsbruce View Post
          Who are you going to replace him with?

He hasn't even played a full year as a Ram, and he is plagued by bad pass blocking, WRs/TEs who don't get open and drop balls. What QB is going to succeed in that scenario?

Foles has made plenty of mistakes there is no doubt about it, but I have a hard time pinning this mess all on him as of now. Fisher neglecting the O-Line, and not getting some type of WRs and TEs who contribute consistently is more of a problem than Foles is as of now.
          I really hate to say it but Austin Davis... he showed promise and if he had been developed I honestly think he could have been the next Bret Farve

Comment

Foles is not the future.
            His internal clock is too slow; he is about 1.5 seconds off-sync and that affects everyone. He waits for the Defense to be absolutely set for his plays. Compared to excellence, Brady has had crappy O-Lines and Receivers, but didn't whine; he executed.

If Foles threw the ball when players were open instead of when the open window is closing, there would be less stress/suspense. He doesn't see wide open Receivers and misses horribly when they are open. Yes, they drop his passes also. The team plays 'DESPERATE' and are just as surprised as everyone watching when they do something right.

Replace him with the next QB on the roster. ***** sat down Kaepernick today and won. There is no valid reason for the Rams losing the game today; the QB is the common/weakest link!

Comment

He's an average QB. I think we can win with him but the talent level around him needs to increase. Cook can't catch and our WRs don't get open fast enough for us to move the ball downfield. I don't think our OC is doing him any favors either.

That being said he needs to step his game up. There were a couple of throws he could have made during this game but just completely missed his guy. Then that deep pass to Britt in the endzone was a bad pass as Britt was well covered down the side and he threw it right to the DB who luckily didn't catch it.

Comment

I'm just glad we didn't give him a larger/longer extension back in August. Could be looking much worse right now. Never believed he was the guy and his play so far has justified that.

Comment

To be honest...I've thought a lot about this recently.

In our first game, he looked great. He was setting his feet, he was throwing with his weight on his front foot, he had great confident body language and even his facial expressions were positive. Now, his face is wreary, he looks anxious, his body language is bad, his footwork is poor and when he throws he's not throwing off his front foot. Basically, he's physically and mentally regressed this season. It's also shown in his play and his stats.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying Keenum. Mannion isn't ready yet. I sure do wish we had Austin Davis still...

Comment

The more I see of Foles, the less inspired I am. I still have hope though. As of now and probably even next season we don't have any better options so we're going to roll with him. Now, if we improve our offense (WR, TE, OL) next off-season and this miserable offense continues, he may be on the chopping block.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundChuck View Post
                      What say you?
                      My question to you is the same question that I keep asking and no one is able to answer.

What QB in the league with:
                      -A below average offensive line.
                      -WR/TE's that consistently drop passes.
                      -WR/TE's that consistently struggle to create separation.
                      -Get's hit on nearly every single pass play.
                      -Has no "go to"/ "difference maker" at WR/TE. Austin is at best a slot WR, and can not create separation off the line of scrimmage due to his lack of size/strength and also struggles to run precise routes. Compared to: Ex. J. Edelman, A. Brown, S. Smith, etc. who are similar to his skill set.

What QB do you know will have success under these circumstances sir???

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
                        To be honest...I've thought a lot about this recently.

In our first game, he looked great. He was setting his feet, he was throwing with his weight on his front foot, he had great confident body language and even his facial expressions were positive. Now, his face is wreary, he looks anxious, his body language is bad, his footwork is poor and when he throws he's not throwing off his front foot. Basically, he's physically and mentally regressed this season. It's also shown in his play and his stats.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying Keenum. Mannion isn't ready yet. I sure do wish we had Austin Davis still...
                        A. Davis??? Really? My friend whatever you are drinking/smoking, I do not want any of that! If you think Case Keenum is going to lead us to the playoffs......then I feel sorry for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
                          The more I see of Foles, the less inspired I am. I still have hope though. As of now and probably even next season we don't have any better options so we're going to roll with him. Now, if we improve our offense (WR, TE, OL) next off-season and this miserable offense continues, he may be on the chopping block.
                          Sosa come on man, you know that Foles has nothing to work with, now as you said if this is next year around this same time and we hare having the issues despite having addressed our glaring issues on offense then yeah we can talk.

Comment

Originally posted by LDJOHN55 View Post
                            Foles is not the future.
                            His internal clock is too slow; he is about 1.5 seconds off-sync and that affects everyone. He waits for the Defense to be absolutely set for his plays. Compared to excellence, Brady has had crappy O-Lines and Receivers, but didn't whine; he executed.

If Foles threw the ball when players were open instead of when the open window is closing, there would be less stress/suspense. He doesn't see wide open Receivers and misses horribly when they are open. Yes, they drop his passes also. The team plays 'DESPERATE' and are just as surprised as everyone watching when they do something right.

Replace him with the next QB on the roster. ***** sat down Kaepernick today and won. There is no valid reason for the Rams losing the game today; the QB is the common/weakest link!
                            Exactly what I've been saying since day one with this guy. My cat can read defenses better than Foles and he's always a tick too slow. Give the ball to Keenum and see what he can do. ...can't be much worse.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Fisher's offense is not setting up any QB to succeed. Which is why it always looks the same no matter which QB is back there the last 4 years.

The play calling is atrocious. Foles is basically only allowed to throw on 3rd and 7. (unless it is a quick out to Tavon who comes back for the ball behind the LOS). Honestly I felt like the play calling was the type of game plan you would only call if we were down to Hekker at QB cuz everyone else got injured on the bus ride over.

I totally concede that when given some opportunities, Foles has not converted... but I would argue, like Gurley, QB's need some reps to start clicking. His 4th Quarter stats might rise like Gurley's do if he was given a chance to throw the ball a bit more and get him and his receivers into a rhythm.

But this pseudo-wildcat offense we run with Tavon and Gurley and the occasional throw when EVERYONE knows you are going to throw on 3rd down is setting ANY QB up for failure.

I 100% believe that Fisher is a QB killer. Our receivers can catch, but they can't get separation with the pathetic play calling we have going.

Basically, Foles threw for 400+ yards vs. the Vikings when he was on the Eagles. Clearly he can succeed with the right offensive system. Just not this Piece of $#!^ one.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                Wagoner: Nick Foles' Calm Under Pressure Key In Rams' Wins
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Nick Foles' calm under pressure key in Rams' wins

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Many would argue that the hardest thing to do in football is stand in the pocket as a quarterback and deliver a well-timed, accurate pass knowing that at any moment you could be hit from any angle.

It's what separates the great quarterbacks from the, well, not so great ones. St. Louis Rams quarterback Nick Foles has been a little bit of both in the team's first four games. It's no coincidence that when he's been good against pressure, the Rams have won. When he's been average or worse, they've lost.

Never was Foles' performance against pressure on better display than last week's 24-22 win against the Arizona Cardinals. Facing Arizona's blitz late in the game, Foles knew he was going to take a shot but stood tall and delivered a strike to Tavon Austin for the game-winning touchdown. He even pulled back on the throw before reloading and firing.

How did he manage to do it?

“You really just have to trust your linemen, trust them to pick it up," Foles said. "Or if they have an extra guy, just maneuver around in the pocket. The situation during the game at the end is we needed a score, so it’s one of those times where no matter what it takes, you try to get the ball off and give the guy a chance. On that particular play, Tavon was able to really get across the field and I was able to put it around the guy. It all started with the O-line keeping the guys off of me.”

But the Rams' offensive line hasn't been able to consistently keep guys off of Foles. While they have managed to mostly limit sacks -- the Rams have allowed six in four games -- Foles has found himself under duress or hit on 26 occasions, 13 times in the team's two wins and 13 times in the team's two losses, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

In the victories, Foles is seven-of-13 for 103 yards and a touchdown with six first-down conversions when under pressure. In the losses, he's five-of-13 for 24 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions and just one first down. The difference is only two completions but the yards per attempt drops from 7.9 to 1.8 in the wins versus the losses.

According to Pro Football Focus' metrics of passing under pressure, Foles has an 85.3 quarterback rating under pressure but that number jumps to 103.6 when he has a clean pocket. But Foles has also thrown four of his five touchdown passes against the blitz, proving that he has the ability to not only stand and deliver under pressure but deliver big plays.

This week, Foles will face a Green Bay Packers defense that ranks first in the NFL in sacks per passing attempt (13 percent), tied for second in sacks (17) and third in disrupted drop backs (a combination of sacks, passes defended, batted balls and interceptions).

"We talked...
                                -10-09-2015, 09:04 AM
                              • MauiRam
                                Nick Foles Will Disappoint? Think Again.
                                by MauiRam
                                July 03, 2015

By Patrick Stewart

This past week Marc Sessler, a writer for NFL.com, put out a list of six players that he predicts will disappoint in 2015.

At the #1 spot on this list sits our new starting QB, Nick Foles. This is Sessler’s explanation for putting Foles in the top spot:

I'm tempted to put Sam Bradford on this list, but I agree with Chris Wesseling: He's a better fit for Comeback Player of the Year in Chip Kelly's offense. Foles is here because of what we haven't seen in St. Louis under Jeff Fisher: A competent offense. The Rams will run the ball plenty with Todd Gurley and Tre Mason, but Foles will be asked to make his share of plays through the air to one of the league's most uninspiring group of wideouts. He was a statistical revelation two years ago, but Foles no longer operates inside a quarterback-proof offense.

Let’s get one thing straight right off the bat. Any writer picking Sam Bradford for Comeback Player of the Year must have had their head in the sand for the last few seasons. As Rams fans, we have gotten hyped up about Bradford in the preseason only to see our hopes get obliterated along with his knees. It’s really funny to me that now that he plays for a big-market East Coast team that now he is getting all of this love from the national writers. We know better, don’t we Rams Nation?

Back to Foles. For the Rams to have success this season they need only a few things from the QB position. Good health would be #1. Outside of his broken collarbone last season, which shouldn’t be a nagging injury, Foles has stayed healthy throughout his college and pro career.

Another attribute needed from the quarterback position is leadership. While his teammates would publicly say that Sam Bradford was a great leader, did you ever get the feeling on game days that he could rally the team? To me, one of the highlights of the Austin Davis experience last year was watching him pump up his teammates after big plays. Bradford’s leadership style was more along the lines of our beloved owner (silence). Injuries played a role here too. With Sam being hurt so often, it was really hard for him to lead from the sidelines.

Foles seems to have leadership in bunches. Jared Cook, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, and many others have already been on record with powerful comments about his leadership. Check out this quote from Cook in a recent NFL.com article on what Foles has done in practice:

"I'm so glad he's here. I love that he's here," Cook said Friday, via the team's official website. "I love what he brings to us, and I love the fact that he's just an up tempo, positive guy."

Finally, with the Rams seeming like they will be ultra run-heavy this season, Foles must be able to run play-action and be accurate with the deep ball. His fantastic 2013 season shows that he has potential in...
                                -07-04-2015, 01:22 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Nick Foles' Transition To Rams' Offense An Important Piece Of OTA's
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Nick Foles' transition to Rams' offense an important piece of OTAs

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- At the news conference introducing new St. Louis Rams quarterback Nick Foles back in March, coach Jeff Fisher lamented the fact that he couldn't simply get Foles in the building and up to speed on the team's offense right away.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, there are rules on when players can be in their training facilities, who they can meet with and what they can do when they're there. For his part, Foles was eager to get started after the Philadelphia Eagles traded him and a 2016 second-round pick to the Rams for Sam Bradford. But he had to wait.

Now that waiting is over and as the Rams began organized team activities on Tuesday, Foles can set about getting to know an offense that figures to be quite different from the one he ran under Chip Kelly with the Eagles.

In Kelly's wide-open, spread based system, Foles was asked to do a lot of things that he probably won't in St. Louis. Despite not qualifying as a running quarterback, the Eagles still asked Foles to run read-option out of the shotgun the majority of the time. Over the past two seasons, Foles lined up in the shotgun on 645 drop-backs and was under center for just 42 snaps in 21 games. As a team, the Eagles had their quarterbacks drop back out of shotgun formation 1,188 times, the most in the league and clear of second-place San Diego by 38 snaps.

By comparison, the Rams have had 756 drop backs out of the shotgun over the past two seasons, which is second-fewest in the league. So not only will Foles be adjusting to a new power run-heavy scheme, he will even be adjusting to taking snaps under center on a regular basis.

One thing that won't be new for Foles in St. Louis is throwing play-action passes, long ones.

The Rams didn't use play-action as much as they'd like last season, opting for such calls on 97 dropbacks for the season (tied with the Jets and Falcons for 22nd in the NFL). But that easily could be a product of not having an offensive line capable of protecting the quarterback or a running game operating at a high level on a consistent basis.

Fisher has repeatedly said he'd like his offense to be centered on the run with a successful run game setting up play-action opportunities down the field.

On play-action, Rams quarterbacks were 63-of-90 for 732 yards with seven touchdowns and three interceptions for a passer rating of 108.7, which ranked seventh best in the league on such plays in 2014. Given that success, it's something they would like to do more of in 2015.

That could be a good fit for Foles, who in two seasons as the starter in Philadelphia averaged 9.1 yards per attempt with 21 touchdowns and three interceptions on play-action passes.

Foles still has...
                                -06-03-2015, 09:47 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Foles Feeling At Home With Rams
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Foles Feeling at Home with Rams

Posted Jun 24, 2015
                                Myles Simmons Rams Insider@MylesASimmons

Though he’s been a member of the Rams for only a short time, quarterback Nick Foles has already made enough of a positive impact to trigger talk of a contract extension.

“We’ve had some discussions,” head coach Jeff Fisher said last week. “I think what Nick has done early in his career -- he’s proven he can get the job done on the field.

“He’s carried things on here and so we’re going to continue to talk and see if we can get something that’s good for both sides,” Fisher added.

While there are no guarantees a deal will be worked out, all indications are that Foles has been a great fit for St. Louis. That’s come not only from Fisher, but also offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, players like Jared Cook, and the quarterback himself.

“I felt like this was home from when I got here, and got to meet the guys, and talk to the coaches,” Foles said at OTAs last week. “That’s nothing against Philly. I had a great time in Philly and I built strong relationships. But, just how the team was when they brought me in here and how they treated me, and how my teammates have helped me grow, and the relationships that I’ve built -- I want to be here.”

Foles has talked plenty about being comfortable with the team, but last week he also said that he’s feeling the same way about playing in Cignetti’s offense. Given that the Rams have completed only the offseason program, Foles said he knows more to install will come in training camp and the regular season.

“There’s always going to be new things you’re going to learn,” Foles said. “Each play based on front and coverage -- it can change. So it’s just continuing to learn and continuing to grow to where it’s just second nature -- where I feel extremely comfortable just seeing everything. But it’s getting there.”

With Foles coming from the Eagles, one criticism has been levied that perhaps the quarterback’s stellar 2013 season -- in which he threw 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions -- was a product of the offensive system. But that’s not an issue Foles has given any attention.

“People are going to say what they’re going to say. They always have throughout my entire career,” Foles said. “Each and every player deals with it. The way I do is [say], I’m just going to play. I know who I am. I know what kind of player I am and my job is to help my team win games.”

And winning is exactly what the quarterback helped the Eagles do, as he held a 14-4 QB record over the past two seasons with the club. As general manager Les Snead said at the time of the March trade, the signal-caller’s victories in a tough division was one of the factors that made him an attractive addition. Foles said last week that success sometimes gets lost when critics find fault solely based...
                                -06-26-2015, 03:29 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Rams Quarterback Nick Foles Not Satisfied With Early Offensive Struggles
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Rams quarterback Nick Foles not satisfied with early offensive struggles

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- While St. Louis Rams quarterback Nick Foles is not panicking about the first-team offense's early preseason struggles, he's also not denying that it's important for things to improve before the real games begin on Sept. 13.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said earlier this week that he's not concerned with the offensive woes and also pointed out that the team is not doing much game-planning. And while that's true, both Fisher and Foles would like to get more done on Saturday night when they play the Indianapolis Colts at the Edward Jones Dome.

“During the preseason, you keep it vanilla, but at the same time you still want to execute," Foles said. "You still want to move the ball. You’re still playing football. Is the whole playbook in the game? No, but do we need to execute better? Absolutely. That’s on us. That’s on me. We have to execute better and that’s something that coming out here today was a point of emphasis and that’s each and every day.”

To this point, Foles has been on the field with the starting offense for six series. He started his preseason with a bang, completing his first two passes for 61 yards. Since, things have gone south in a hurry. Foles is 6 of 12 for 87 yards with no touchdowns and an interception that was returned for a touchdown last week against the Tennessee Titans. Those numbers are good for a passer rating of 39.2.

Indeed, it should be no surprise that it's taking Foles and the offense some time to get into a rhythm. That's expected with so many moving parts. The interception he threw offered a prime example. Foles took the blame for the pick and some of that was deserved as he appeared to lock onto wideout Kenny Britt. But Britt also didn't run much of a route and the two had to discuss what happened on the sideline after the play.

Those are the type of things that are OK to get out of the way now but the Rams would prefer to continue to eliminate as the season nears. Foles and the first-team offense are expected to play a little longer against the Colts, perhaps through the first half.

Foles would like to get some actual results in that time.

“I think offensively, we just need to move the ball, get some points on the board," Foles said. "I think going into this week, we just need to focus on the corrections, execution and really just getting into a rhythm. Football is a rhythm game, so getting out there, getting into a rhythm early and really just getting the ball into the end zone, putting some points on the board and just showing improvement. That’s why we come out here every day. Study the game film, come out here, fix the corrections and move forward and progress. Just want to keep progressing and get the ball moving.”
                                -08-28-2015, 09:11 AM
                              Working...
                              X