Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke won more than just L.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams owner Stan Kroenke won more than just L.A.

By Dan Wetzel

DENVER – Stan Kroenke owns three major professional sports franchises in the Denver area: the NBA Nuggets, the NHL Avalanche and the MLS Rapids, plus the Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League.

When he is here to tend to their business, which is often, he lives in a spacious penthouse jutting out of one side and on top of the Pepsi Center, the 18,000-seat downtown arena he also owns.

It's an incredible home, spacious and brilliantly decorated, with multiple outdoor spaces and views of both downtown and the Rocky Mountains in the distance. Once inside, it feels like a standalone home off in some gated community in the suburbs, not something that is an elevator ride from a raucous arena.

"Convenient commute," Kroenke said with a laugh to Yahoo Sports on Saturday night while watching his Nuggets defeat the Detroit Pistons.

It's every young sports fans' dream – can't we just live in the arena?

"Sports and real estate development is a large part of what we do," said Kroenke, who Forbes estimates is worth $7.7 billion.

Sports and real estate. Real estate and sports.

It's how Stan Kroenke, despite lacking the big personality or high-profile of a Jerry Jones or a Mark Cuban, has emerged as one of the world's preeminent professional sports owners and, with construction set to begin on a state-of-the-art, 100,000-capacity, clear-roofed stadium in a 300-acre development in Inglewood, Calif., undeniably one of the most powerful figures in sports in this country.

The franchises here in Colorado are big, his other two are bigger. There is the London-based Arsenal Football Club of the English Premier League and its home arena, Emirates Stadium, the third largest in England.

Then there are the Rams of the NFL, which after approval this month from the NFL will leave St. Louis and return to their Los Angeles roots and into what is expected to be the envy of any venue in the world. It was Kroenke, who after two-plus decades solved the NFL's L.A. riddle, something many billionaires, businessmen, entertainment moguls, governors, mayors and so on couldn't.

"The NFL had a problem out there, I was on the committee [looking at relocation possibilities] for years," Kroenke said. "We never got anything done. It's hard to get things done in California."

Hard, but, it turns out, not impossible.

Kroenke, 68, grew up in rural Missouri, where as a child he served as a bookkeeper to his father, a small business owner. He later attended the University of Missouri, where he also earned an MBA. He focused on real estate and operates a vast array of companies and interests, although he still carries himself with a calm, down-home style that belies his immense wealth. His preferred drink is a very cold Coors Light. His wife, Ann Walton Kroenke, is herself a billionaire, part of the Wal-Mart family fortune.

This is the background, the experience, the financial might, the business acumen and the quiet but determined personality that was probably required to solve one of professional sports' most vexing challenges.
    Kroenke was brought in as a local Missouri-based minority owner for the Rams in 1994 to help move the franchise to St. Louis, where the city had built, entirely with public funds, a dome stadium that lacked a tenant. In 2010 he took over full ownership, but plans for a new stadium were slow and complicated and forced him to find alternative options.

In L.A. he quietly purchased the land, most of it the old Hollywood Park racetrack, to put up a sporting palace.

"As a real-estate developer, its 300 acres," Kroenke said. "Three-hundred acres in a city like Los Angeles, in the middle of everything, is very, very unusual to say the least. So that's a real-estate developer's dream."

The project will include much-needed retail, housing and office space for the area, plus the cutting-edge stadium. Costs are expected to soar well over $2 billion. While the NFL has granted San Diego Chargers owner Dean Spanos a one-year window to join Kroenke as a partner on the project, even if Kroenke goes it alone, there will be no direct public funding, almost unheard of in sports business these days.

The plan, both the concept of the stadium and the competency of Kroenke's team, overwhelmed Spanos' attempt for a joint stadium with the Raiders down in Carson, Calif. The vote went 30-2. Now they are awaiting Spanos' decision. If Spanos passes, Raiders owner Mark Davis has one year to consider coming also.

"There is tremendous excitement," Kroenke said. "It's amazing."

Last Monday, the Rams offered a chance for fans to get on a list to buy up to eight tickets each for games the next three years at the L.A. Coliseum, while the new venue is being built. It's already approaching 50,000, an eye-popping number even for the NFL, and if all come through it would easily exhaust supply.

While the league never doubted there would be interest, the vision for the epic stadium closer to the city's moneyed Westside is undoubtedly a factor. This is L.A., where they expect big things. So too is the fact it is the Rams that are returning, where a fan base that grew up with them are now in middle age.

Kroenke related a story about a man who was wearing a Rams jersey during the week of the NFL vote as a public display of hope.

"He said, 'I grew up rooting for the Rams and when they left for St. Louis [in 1995] it was tough for me. So this could be the best week I've had in 21 years,'" Kroenke said.

The process, of course, wasn't all fun. Kroenke notes that the league purposely makes relocation difficult because "it should be difficult." It is almost always preferred that teams remain in their current markets. However, the realities of the stadium lease in St. Louis and the enormous possibilities of moving to the nation's entertainment capital was too much. He's a businessman and has never apologized for it.

Kroenke talks of needing rhino hide to deal with some of the anger back in St. Louis – the reaction could be described as nuclear, if not worse. The truth, however, was he never misled about the possibility of a move, speaking bluntly about the challenges of staying and the possibilities of leaving from the start.

At least some of the local media, most notably Bryan Burwell, the late, great St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist, paid attention and wrote extensively about Kroenke demonstrating a willingness to make an unpopular business move. The portrayals through the years weren't always flattering, but they spoke to an owner who wasn't hiding behind glad-handing or phony news conferences (he rarely speaks to the media at all).

Perhaps no one else paid attention or believed Burwell that it could happen. Perhaps they thought L.A. was impossible, or underestimated Kroenke. Perhaps they just couldn't see past the Arch. This despite year after year Kroenke making clear statements and buying land in Southern California that spoke to his resolve.

Kroenke is acutely aware of how some fans in Missouri feel about the team returning to L.A. He also knows there is no simple answer that solves that.

"There's an emotional side to it," Kroenke said. "I understand that. I also think that people in Missouri understand you can't just throw rational thought to the wind. You have to do something that makes sense. And by the way, the league and my partners are not going to let me stay in a deal that doesn't make any sense."

Business is business. It's what got the Rams out of L.A. in the first place, after all. Still, what do you say to the regular guy who just wanted to have a team?

"I say that 22 years ago they had a stadium that was built and it had no team," Kroenke said. "And we had a lot to do with bringing a team in for 21 years. And by the way we won a Super Bowl and participated in another one. Some people never do who have been around the league a long time, so I'm proud of that.

"I understand the emotional side of it. But it has to make sense."

There is little question that L.A. makes sense. On a macro scale having a team and stadium there rather than Missouri is non-comparable. It's not just the Rams and potentially the Chargers or Raiders who will play at the new stadium, set to open in 2019. It will assuredly host Super Bowls, Final Fours, college regular-season and bowl games, not to mention concerts, rodeos, political conventions and anything else they can think up.

Jerry Jones has said he expects it to eclipse his AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, as the country's finest venue.

"The commissioner [Roger Goodell] said he thought it would be the greatest sports complex in the world," Kroenke said. "I'm proud of our architects. It's a great place that everyone knows, Hollywood Park. I love it. We've got a great design, a spectacular stadium and it's a fantastic place to do everything.

"It's an opportunity that doesn't come along every day."

Actually, it was there for the taking for two decades. No one could get it done. Stan Kroenke, a guy who cumulatively lives months each year inside a sports venue, did. Maybe that total immersion was it. He was a billionaire who was hands-on every step in the way.

The hardest part done, the NFL political battle and relocation behind him, L.A. is now more about fun, the dream project to see fulfilled. The new stadium will have everything, except one thing – a built-in home like this one.

Re: Rams owner Stan Kroenke won more than just L.A.

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
    By Dan Wetzel

DENVER – Stan Kroenke owns three major professional sports franchises in the Denver area: the NBA Nuggets, the NHL Avalanche and the MLS Rapids, plus the Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League.

When he is here to tend to their business, which is often, he lives in a spacious penthouse jutting out of one side and on top of the Pepsi Center, the 18,000-seat downtown arena he also owns.

It's an incredible home, spacious and brilliantly decorated, with multiple outdoor spaces and views of both downtown and the Rocky Mountains in the distance. Once inside, it feels like a standalone home off in some gated community in the suburbs, not something that is an elevator ride from a raucous arena.

"Convenient commute," Kroenke said with a laugh to Yahoo Sports on Saturday night while watching his Nuggets defeat the Detroit Pistons.

It's every young sports fans' dream – can't we just live in the arena?

"Sports and real estate development is a large part of what we do," said Kroenke, who Forbes estimates is worth $7.7 billion.

Sports and real estate. Real estate and sports.

It's how Stan Kroenke, despite lacking the big personality or high-profile of a Jerry Jones or a Mark Cuban, has emerged as one of the world's preeminent professional sports owners and, with construction set to begin on a state-of-the-art, 100,000-capacity, clear-roofed stadium in a 300-acre development in Inglewood, Calif., undeniably one of the most powerful figures in sports in this country.

The franchises here in Colorado are big, his other two are bigger. There is the London-based Arsenal Football Club of the English Premier League and its home arena, Emirates Stadium, the third largest in England.

Then there are the Rams of the NFL, which after approval this month from the NFL will leave St. Louis and return to their Los Angeles roots
    I got this far and had to comment before reading farther.

This guy is clearly not that football intelligent. If he was, he would know that the RAMS' roots are in Cleveland. LA is just one of the many branches (including Anaheim).

gap

Comment

Good article. This guy, for whatever you think personally of him, is living the dream. Owning sports franchises like I own potato chips. And living in HIS arena to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post

If he was, he would know that the RAMS' roots are in Cleveland. LA is just one of the many branches (including Anaheim).
        Riddle me this batman, if I give you a cutting from a strain of Toledo Window Box sinsemilla, and you decide to let it sprout roots in the floodplains of the Missouri, where are the roots of your flora?

Comment

Originally posted by adarian_too View Post
          Riddle me this batman, if I give you a cutting from a strain of Toledo Window Box sinsemilla, and you decide to let it sprout roots in the floodplains of the Missouri, where are the roots of your flora?
          Admittedly, I had to google this to get my answer, but it would be George Carlin.

The answer to your question in relation to the article above would probably be Mexico, but could be Toledo.

The answer to your question in relation to your question, it would be Missouri. But that means the article would need to be changed to say they are leaving their roots in St. Louis to go to their other roots in LA.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
            Kroenke talks of needing rhino hide to deal with some of the anger back in St. Louis – the reaction could be described as nuclear, if not worse. The truth, however, was he never misled about the possibility of a move, speaking bluntly about the challenges of staying and the possibilities of leaving from the start.
            Now, this is a blatant lie.

Kroenke NEVER spoke to anyone other than to say "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis. Just as I did everything that I could to bring the team to St. Louis in 1995. I believe my actions speak for themselves."

So, now we have someone with his head up the lower end of Kroenke's alimentary canal wanting to rewrite history?

All this entire "article" says can be summed up in a sentence: "My name is Dan Wetzel, I just jumped on the Kroenke bandwagon, and I'm more than willing to praise Stan Kroenke so I hopefully can get some of the positive fallout from Inglewood, and I am not above acting like a cheerleader and lying to sell an article. I've been a Rams fan since they were in Chicago back in the 60's...".

I bet this guy was a Seahawks fan last year, and a Patriots fan a couple of years before that, and had shattered dreams of being a speech writer for a politician.
            temp_4394_1467243487543_20
            RAMS!

Comment

I got this far and had to comment before reading farther.

This guy is clearly not that football intelligent. If he was, he would know that the RAMS' roots are in Cleveland. LA is just one of the many branches (including Anaheim).

gap
              Bearing in mind that the Rams spent 10 years in Cleveland, 49 years in LA and 20 years in St. Louis, I would venture to guess that most Rams fans, unless they are younger than 20 years of age or older than 80 would consider them as having their roots in LA.
              Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude View Post
                Bearing in mind that the Rams spent 10 years in Cleveland, 49 years in LA and 20 years in St. Louis, I would venture to guess that most Rams fans, unless they are younger than 20 years of age or older than 80 would consider them as having their roots in LA.
                Being uninformed doesn't make you right.

gap

Comment

You guys crack me up with this Cleveland crap. Cleveland is their birthplace, where they originated from, not their home. They left Cleveland and nobody even fought for them. Home is where they were raised, where their roots run the deepest and rose to fame. So you are telling us the Dodgers home is Brooklyn, The S.F Giants home is NY, The A's is Philly, The Orioles is St. Louis, etc etc etc. Give it it up. It's old,
                  it's tiring & do you think anyone in Cleveland cared when they moved or cares now that they have been gone 70 years.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
                    You guys crack me up with this Cleveland crap. Cleveland is their birthplace, where they originated from, not their home. They left Cleveland and nobody even fought for them. Home is where they were raised, where their roots run the deepest and rose to fame. So you are telling us the Dodgers home is Brooklyn, The S.F Giants home is NY, The A's is Philly, The Orioles is St. Louis, etc etc etc. Give it it up. It's old,
                    it's tiring & do you think anyone in Cleveland cared when they moved or cares now that they have been gone 70 years.
                    Brian
                    So is POC like you degrading fans from STL, as if they don't count or deserve to be fans. Why don't you give it up with your tired old idea that LA is the home of the RAMS. LA is just one of many stops as they bilk the fans for all they can get, and then break their hearts by moving some place else.

And to answer your question, "Yes, to every one." And they were the Browns, not the Orioles.

gap

Comment

Who said anything about degrading St. Louis fans?
                      Looks like you just want to sling mud at whoever doesn't agree with you.
                      If that's what you need to do, go ahead if it makes you feel better about yourself.
                      Just pointing out the Cleveland stuff is an old & tired act.
                      By the way I loved my time in St. Louis & was well received by the local fans.
                      And yes I know they were the Browns.
                      As I also know the Rams are home.
                      Brian

Comment

Being uninformed doesn't make you right.

gap
                        Uninformed has nothing to do with it. I wasn't saying no one knows they are from Cleveland so it doesn't count. Most people who follow the Rams know they originated in Cleveland. I'm saying no one cares. 50 of the first 60 years of their history was spent in LA, so most fans would agree that their roots are more in LA than anywhere else. With the possible exception of a handful of 90+ year old fans that would actually remember them playing in Cleveland.

If your going to reference another post and comment on it at least make some sense.
                        Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude View Post
                          Uninformed has nothing to do with it. I wasn't saying no one knows they are from Cleveland so it doesn't count. Most people who follow the Rams know they originated in Cleveland. I'm saying no one cares. 50 of the first 60 years of their history was spent in LA, so most fans would agree that their roots are more in LA than anywhere else. With the possible exception of a handful of 90+ year old fans that would actually remember them playing in Cleveland.

If your going to reference another post and comment on it at least make some sense.
                          Just because I don't agree with your extremely LA biased opinions, based on false truth, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. You're just trying justify your belief in a false truth by saying the LA opinion is the only one that counts.

The RAMS roots are in Cleveland, no matter how you slice it, and everywhere else is a branch.

Now, if you really want to press the matter, the RAMS roots are in the Cincinnati Reds. It was their charter that was sold to St. Louis. They played three games in 1934 as the Gunners, but then the Gunners would not be invited to remain in the NFL, and returned to the independent circuit. The Cleveland RAMS assumed the vacated spot in 1937 when most AFL teams were folding due to effects of the depression.

As far as the Pro football RAMS name goes, the roots are in the Cleveland RAMS that started as an AFL team in 1936.

gap

Comment

And when are the Cardinals going to reclaim their roots and go back to being the Racine Street Cardinals?(Racine Street is south side Chicago)
                            While we are at it. The Bears ought to go back to their roots in Decatur, Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
                              Brian
                              It's funny how a couple people come into these threads already with their panties in a bunch getting ready to jump on their soap box and yell Cleveland! They know they aren't going to like the article but they come into the thread anyways just so they can act like children. I love the argument, if we follow it to its natural conclusion the NFL would be 14 teams all in Cleveland and Chicago.
                              The restoration is complete!

Comment