The Middle Linebacker debacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Middle Linebacker debacle

I thought i would post this as an individual question rather than bury it again in the middle of a thread.

Can anyone name me one NFL team that had a less productive season out of the middle linebacker position than we did last year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: The Middle Linebacker debacle

...Kansas City perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel
      I thought i would post this as an individual question rather than bury it again in the middle of a thread.

Can anyone name me one NFL team that had a less productive season out of the middle linebacker position than we did last year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
      GC, ask and ye shall receive. Here's the six lowest performances from the ILB position this season:

Seattle - 148 tackles, 2 sacks, 0 int, 2 fumble rec.
      Green Bay - 141 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 int, 2 fumble rec.
      Kansas City - 138 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 int, 2 fumble rec.
      New Orleans - 136 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 int, 0 fumble rec.
      Dallas - 122 tackles, 1 sack, 3 int, 2 fumble rec.
      St. Louis - 95 tackles, 0 sack, 0 int, 0 fumble rec.

That's right folks. We are the only team in the entire league that didn't accumulate triple digit tackles from our ILB position. And we're the only team in the league that didn't manage at least one sack, pick, or recovery from our ILB position.

To answer your question GC.....no, there is no team that had a less productive season from their MLB.
      Last edited by HUbison; -02-16-2005, 09:05 AM.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Oh man that is just UGLY. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Comment

Wow, great Data!

Hubison, now that is why you subscribe to a forum, to get info you can't get from the general news... nice job.

Comment

Re: Wow, great Data!

Originally posted by ramhard
            Hubison, now that is why you subscribe to a forum, to get info you can't get from the general news... nice job.
            Thank you sir, glad to do it. I don't like the results, but I'm glad to share them. More of a "misery loves company" kind of thing.

Comment

Where is Hartwell.......Better nab him fast! :tongue:

Comment

Originally posted by theodus69
                Where is Hartwell.......Better nab him fast! :tongue:
                Funny you mention him. While our MLB position amounted to 95 tackles and nothing else, Hartwell alone managed 96 tackles.

But HUbison, if Hartwell only had one more tackle than our MLBs, how is he an improvement?

Did I forget to mention that he had to share the position with Ray Lewis (146 tackles) in the Ravens' 3-4 scheme. Just imagine what he could do in our 4-3.

Comment

HUbison, that is just terrific info and fantastic confirmation of what i was beginning to think was an optical illusion. I dont see that much of other teams, and i knew we were terrible at mlb last year, but like others, i had no idea it was THAT bad. This should be an eye opener for everyone on this board that wants us to spend money that we already dont have in places other than this spot.

Lets see, dead last at mlb, dead last on special teams, first in dropped int's for tds in the playoffs (courtesy of antuan edwards et al), 8-8, but a win on the road in the playoffs.

ramming speed to all and thanks again HUbison

general counsel

Comment

thanks again HUbison
                    my pleasure, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
                      Just imagine what he could do in our 4-3.
                      That's the only thing that bothers me about Hartwell - we have to imagine what he could do in a 4-3 when Ray Lewis isn't taking attention away from him. Did he play 4-3 in college, I wonder? And if so, I wonder how he did.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
                        Thank you sir, glad to do it. I don't like the results, but I'm glad to share them. More of a "misery loves company" kind of thing.

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

- Clemens, 1900

Comment

In a 3-4 defense Hartwell had to shed off the blocks of offensive linemen to make his tackles. In a 4-3 (if the DT's do there job, and that is a big IF with ours :disappoin ) he will have to shed a fullback or watch out for a TE or WR crackback. I personal would imagine him doing well in the 4-3 scheme. I also would imagine he is tired of being the other linebacker with Ray Lewis instead of being Ed Hartwell. On the other hand He only had 96 tackles with the opposing offenses running away for Ray Lewis is he all that good of a choice for our pathetic MLB position?

Comment

Yeah, I'd take him in a heartbeat! :tough:

Comment

Originally posted by adarian_too
                              "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

- Clemens, 1900
                              "History is the best medicine for a sick mind, for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see, and in that record you can find for yourself and your country both examples and warnings: fine things to take as models, base things rotten through and through to avoid. " - Livy (Titus Livius)

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
                                JL More Than Holding His Own Among Rookie LBs
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                While many others have noted this, it bears repeating that the play of James Laurinaitis continues to be one of the bigger bright spots of this otherwise dismal season.

Here's how he matches up with some of the "big name" LBs from this year's draft (all but Rey Maualuga were drafted before JL).

James Laurinaitis
                                40 tackles
                                31 solo tackles
                                2 passes defended
                                1 interception
                                1 fumble recovery

Brian Cushing
                                39 tackles
                                22 solo tackles
                                .5 sacks
                                1 safety

Aaron Curry
                                32 tackles
                                29 solo tackles
                                2 sacks
                                2 forced fumbles

Rey Maualuga
                                22 tackles
                                15 solo tackles
                                2 sacks
                                2 forced fumbles

Brian Orakpo
                                15 tackles
                                11 solo tackles
                                2.5 sacks

Clay Matthews
                                7 tackles
                                4 solo tackles
                                1 sack
                                1 forced fumble
                                1 fumble recovery
                                1 TD
                                -10-12-2009, 09:13 AM
                              • RealRam
                                Rounds 3-5 OLB for Rams?
                                by RealRam
                                OLB (and/or standing DE) prospects being lined up for the Round 3-5 range in a couple of recent mocks. Not huge priorities for Rams but perhaps worth considering after selecting our DBs?

Jeremiah Attaochu--- Georgia Tech Sr 6-3 252
                                Adrian Hubbard ------ Alabama rJr 6-6 255
                                Dee Ford -------------- Auburn Sr 6-2 240
                                Devon Kennard ------ So. Calif. rSr 6-3 250
                                Christian Kirksey ---- Iowa Sr 6-2 237
                                Ronald Powell ------- Florida rJr 6-3 240
                                Prince Shembo ------ Notre Dame Sr 6-2 250
                                Jordan Tripp --------- Montana rSr 6-3 237
                                Kyle Van Noy -------- BYU Sr 6-3 240
                                Jordan Zumwalt ---- UCLA Sr 6-4 235

Source: ESPN, CBS / NFL Sports

I've read that all the above could adapt into 3-4 or 4-3 defenses. In bold, my hopeful candidates.

- - Jeremiah Attaochu, GT

- - Christian Kerksey, Iowa

- - Kyle Van Noy, BYU

=================================================

Mike, BTW:

Thanks for shutting down the "other thread" in this forum this afternoon. As you said, it even deviated its course into Wrong Way traffic! Very difficult to travel in said manner, when all of a sudden there is an oncoming vehicle in one's lane.

=================================================...
                                -02-11-2014, 05:21 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Missed tackles
                                by RamWraith
                                I decided when the game started I was going to try and keep track of the miss tackles. You are going to be shocked with what I came up with!! Take a guess.

And this was only counted until half way through the forth quarter because I had to go to my daughters Christmas Program
                                -12-18-2005, 05:28 PM
                                Chiefs Release Three Players...
                                by Guest
                                Chiefs terminate contracts of four veterans

Courtesy of Kansas Coty Chiefs media relations

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (March 2, 2006) -- Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced that the club had terminated the contracts of LB Shawn Barber, CB Dexter McCleon, LB Gary Stills and CBEric Warfield.

Shawn Barber has been limited 11 games played in the last two seasons due to injuries.
                                Barber played in 27 games (24 starts) for the Chiefs since joining the club as an unrestricted free agent from Philadelphia in 2003. He recorded 183 tackles (132 solo), two interceptions, 6.0 sacks, seven QB pressures, three fumble recoveries and 10 passes defensed. The eight-year NFL veteran has appeared in 92 career games (74 starts) with the Redskins, Eagles and Chiefs, producing 583 tackles (407 solo), 10.0 sacks, seven interceptions with two TDs, 20 QB pressures, five fumble recoveries, eight forced fumbles and 31 passes defensed. Barber has also started five postseason contests, registering 36 tackles (27 solo) and one forced fumble.

McCleon saw duty in 11 games (five starts) for Kansas City in 2005, producing 24 tackles (21 solo), two INTs and four passes defensed. After originally joining the Chiefs as a free agent in 2003, he played in 40 games (27 starts), registering 132 tackles (107 solo), 23 passes defensed, 10 interceptions and three fumble recoveries. The Meridian, Miss., native has played in 131 games (84 starts) during his nine-year NFL career with the Rams and Chiefs, posting 391 tackles (315 solo), 4.5 sacks, 90 passes defensed, 30 interceptions, six fumble recoveries, one forced fumble and one QB pressure. He has also started eight playoff contests, recording 37 tackles (30 solo), two interceptions and eight passes defensed.

Stills ranked second on the team with 25 special-teams tackles to go with a fumble recovery on special teams in 2005. The seven-year NFL veteran has played in 88 career games (one start), totaling 80 tackles (41 solo), 7 sacks, four fumble recoveries, 19 QB pressures and three passes defensed. He totaled a club-record 148 career special-teams tackles, in addition to four fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles. The Trenton, N.J., native played in one playoff game in 2003, recording two tackles and two special-teams tackles. Stills earned an invitation to the Pro Bowl as a special-teams performer following the 2003 season when he led the team with 29 special-teams tackles.

Warfield played in 11 games with 10 starts at right cornerback for the Chiefs in 2005, producing 63 tackles (54 solo), including two behind the line, an interception for a 57-yard TD, seven passes defensed and two fumble recoveries. He joined Kansas City as the first of the club's two selections in the seventh round (216th overall) of the 1998 NFL Draft. The Vicksburg, Miss., native saw duty in 115 games (77 starts) during his eight-year...
                                -03-02-2006, 03:31 PM
                              • general counsel
                                the impact of rookie defensive tackles
                                by general counsel
                                there is an excellent article on the effectiveness (or lack thereof) or rookie defensive tackles in the nfl on nfl.com. Its written by pat kirwan. Can one of our many tech savy rambros please post that article or a link to it, i am sure it would provoke some excellent discussion.

I raise this in the context of people assuming that carriker is going to step in one day one and be effective to the point where kennedy for example is now completely useless, let alone the assumption by some on this board that clifton ryan will produce anything at all

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -05-16-2007, 05:11 PM
                              Working...
                              X