Sometimes we need to pound the ball!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes we need to pound the ball!

When is Martz going to realize there are some teams you just have to try to Ram the ball down their throat.... even if you don't succeed. Sure Tampa hasn't done anything this year but c'mon we all know what their defense is capable of and they always play their A game with us. Teams like Tampa, Baltimore, Pittsburg, and especially the Saints will always give us trouble because of what their defenses are capable of (putting pressure on Kurt without having to blitz). Is it just me or did anyone else notice the last time we beat the Saints was when Marshall rushed for I think 220 yds. So if we don't even try to run the ball down their ( those teams above) throats even if if doesn't work, I think we will lose everytime.

Martz has said that one regret from the game is that he should have ran the ball more. After the loss against the Saints he responded the next week with a nice balanced attack.

It seems like he learns a lesson in one game and responds the next week, only to go back to the bad habits again.

If we want to go to the dance we need to have a balanced attack. It is ridiculous to ignore the running game with Faulk in the backfield.

Comment

I couldnt agree more.Not only do we have a great running back in Faulk,we also have a good back in Canidate.I'm not saying we should become "Ground Chuck" but balance could be very effective.Martz says he goes with whatever works at the time.I have a hard time believing that after last night.Marshall started off running the ball effectively and then Martz basically abandoned the run.He seemed determined to pass the ball at all cost.I have to wonder if Martz sometimes lets his ego get in the way of his decision making.Dont get me wrong,I like Martz.I just dont think he utilizes all his weapons sometimes.By the way,Where was Proehl last night?I dont remember hearing his name all night.

:angryram: GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!:shield:
      ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Comment

Certain teams the Rams can open up and throw the ball, a.k.a. Miami, SF, NE, etc. However, certain teams are begging you to throw the ball, a.k.a. Tampa, NO, Chicago, NYG, teams with a strong pash rush and a headhunter secondary. However, those teams have been susceptible to the run. If the Rams are truely the "Greatest Show on Earth" (by the way, I HATE that tag), the great shows are much more than one dimensional. I don't know why the running game is abandoned at Rams Park. :upset:

Comment

Runners world...

Rams offense looked out of sync on monday night (no kidding).

To me, they appeared to have changed their game plan with some ad-lib adjustments somewhere early in the second quarter --in itself no major problem, this is not a rare solution-- but the offense got lost in the transition. They simply could not perform...

The team was walking around groggy after taking some hard Buccaneer punches early on, including Marshall Faulk. In fact, I think he really never recovered well enough after that 99 Zap attack where he was lifted and slammed down hard.

Maybe that's why Coach Martz decided to not work No. 28 the rest of the game, except very sporadically.

I agree, however, that we should run more; make it happen somehow. Canidate, Holcomb, Watson, accompanied by Hodgins (a.k.a "The Block"). Even if for setting up some decoy strategies. Apart from Faulk's greatness as RB, our group is not exactly a 'runners resort.'

:evilram: Ha! What a burden it must be to wear a head coach's jacket... All this expert advice coming to Mike Martz.

GO RAMS!!!

Comment

Nice post Jorge. Bottom line, I wouldn’t trade Martz for another coach in the NFL. He will take us to the Promised Land again!
            :lid:

Comment

The balance shown in the Atlanta and Whiner win shows exactly what the Rams need to do this season. "The Greatest Show on Turf" tab was the worst description this team could have been given. How the defense is playing dictates what we should do on offense. It isn't necessary to score on every play, but to score somehow on every possession is huge. The D will do its job, keeping the running game shut down and really being stingy inside the opponents red zone. Ball control and time consumption have been keys to the O and Rams success.

Please continue this style of play boys, and the Dome at America Center will have a football game very late in January.

Comment

Balance is key, grasshopper

A couple of nights ago on NFL 2night, Meril Hodge brought up that the Rams are a more effective scoring machine when they run the ball as much as they pass it or close to it. The simple fact being that if we run the ball, the defense can't concentrate on the pass. I bet that if we ran more, Warner would have less INT's and more TD's because safeties wouldn't be sitting back on him. Remember...balance is key, grasshopper.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
                  Martz Madness: 54 Passing plays, 14 Runs
                  by AvengerRam_old
                  The Saints came into this game giving up 170+ yards per game on the ground. So... what do the Rams do... at home... with Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson in the backfield?

54 passing plays (49 throws, one scramble, 5 sacks)
                  14 running plays

Unacceptable.

The Rams defense right now is bad (I will cool off before I think about whether this can be fixed this year or whether this is going to be the case all year). There's only one cure for this... keep them off the field.

But when you don't even try to establish a run, you "lengthen" the game and force the defense to make more stops (this is pretty basic stuff, isn't is?).

And its not like the Rams were trailing all game. They were in control early, and could have tried to establish the running game then. Even if they had to start throwing more later, at least the Saints would have to look for the run on occasion.

54 passing plays...

14 running plays...

Simply unacceptable.
                  -09-26-2004, 01:58 PM
                • FirebirdRamsam
                  The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
                  by FirebirdRamsam
                  The good.......there was very little in the saints game.
                  The bad.........there was alot!!!
                  The Ugly........ditto!!!

I was kind of afraid that the saints were going to pull off a victory. If anyone read my last post which read: Will the saints go marching on. It talks about a possibility of them having our number. For some reason the team plays with added intense due to their coach and team mates being fired up since we have been ex-superbowl winners who have won with bull **** flee flickers and screens and fancy plays. The saints coach seems to think that we are a bunch of crap players with crappy non-football plays.

Truth is, the Rams beat the Rams fair and square!!! We lost the game due to silly penaltys, fumbles, interceptions, costly errors, un-special teams, blown plays and a missed field goal. If we played error free football or at least hanged on to the ball without giving it away with our fumbles and interceptions, we would have won yet as murphy's law plays out so many sundays, it was a game of 'what can go wrong will go wrong' and to think that the Rams are exempt from murphys law is wrong! It was bound to happen and I say good, why?

Well, lets just say that the next time we play the saints on their turf, it will be a different game. We should learn from our mistakes and hopefully on the next meeting, we will be playing with a healthy Faulk, and fumbleless game, a zero interception, a game plan that will have many flee flickers, trick plays so that it will inferiate the saints coach and perhaps a few on side kicks to boot ;-). I think that the Rams have learned a valuable experience of this loss and that if they can bounce back and play with added aggression due to this loss, perhaps this will propel them into the nfc playoffs.

This game against the saints truely was a horror film for the players as well as the fans and we didn't even get to see georgia for her halloween yearly appearance :mask: , darn!!! I believe that we see the saints mid december again. I will hope that we will bring with us a more intense game plan and an error free game in the georgia dome so that it can erase this bad taste that this last game left. And I hope that Martz will remember what the saint's coach said about the Rams and their so called plays so that he can fire up the team to seek revenge. I honestly don't think that the saints coach should be talking smack until he takes his team to the big dance and wins the big one! Rememeber, we walked the walk and can talk the talk since we are a past victorious superbowl team.

We now have a 'bye' week to rest, gather our thoughts and hopefully allow Faulk to return with 100% healed on his knee.
                  I predict a victory againt Carolina after the return from the bye week yet I will go out on a limb and predict.......no.....wait........
                  I guarantee a victory (IE: Joe Namath/broadway Joe) against the...
                  -10-29-2001, 05:45 PM
                • txramsfan
                  How will the Rams hold on to the ball against the Saints on Monday?
                  by txramsfan
                  With Marshall playing this week, and the way the Rams have held on to the ball recently, no way do the Saints get 8 turnovers. However, they probably will cough the ball up once or twice. The question is, will it be a turnover?

GO RAMS!!
                  5 or more (Somehow even Turley gets a recover)
                  38.46%
                  3-4 (Ha Ha Ha Choo, oops lost it in the lights again)
                  7.69%
                  1-2 (Rams win by 20, Marshall goes over a 100 yds rushing)
                  38.46%
                  0 (J. Martin replaces K. Warner to start the 4th, Rams up by 30 :))
                  15.38%
                  -12-16-2001, 04:12 PM
                • FirebirdRamsam
                  Will the Saints go marching on???
                  by FirebirdRamsam
                  Whew...........what a game. I mean, we actually played a game so dominating without our mvp feature running back that it was almost un-believable. Coach Martz must have read my previous message reading: Take out your top mvp players if you are ahead in points!!! DUH! You don't want the risk injury to your top players if you want to make it to the superbowl do you???

The game against the Jets was a classic. I think Martz finally learned just how good Canidate is and also learned that by taking out Warner towards the end of the game, perhaps will extend the life span of probably the greatest QB ever to play the game!

I think the Giants game of last week was a very good learning experience that perhaps will prepare this team for its final hurdle down the streach as it reaches the playoffs.

Before I talk about the Saints, I have to congratulate Trung for such an inspired game day. I think that if Trung can remain healthy, this will bring to the table an even more diobiolical offensive game plan than previously before. Trung was truely awesome and perhaps made the Jets seem like a one engine propeler with an oil leak making a kamakazi nose dive

Trung was all over the field playing all kinds of positions, the play that turned the entire game into a mis match was Trung playing QB, I think that the Jets at that point should have either tossed in the white flag or made an s.o.s. call. Remember, this was really Trung's first real start, if he gets better (is that possible) I think that they might outlaw the Rams from playing in the NFL!

This sundays game against the Saints will be very very interesting. Remember, on any given sunday, any team can win and for some reason, the saints gives me alot of worries. They are not a great team yet their coach pushes them to be the best they can be each sunday and if you all remember last year, the Saints had some of our numbers. Yet this year is different, we are rid of the cancer (ie:carter) which now gives our team an edge over the Saints due to our newly formed fearsome 8-some. Will the saints go marching on??? I firebirdRamsam predict no, the Rams will win, yet it will be a type of giants vs. Rams game. Due to our defensive improvements and having Trung as a backup if Marshall is still not feeling 100%, this will alow the Rams to beat the Saints by 10 points, the score will be around 21 to 17.

FirebirdRamsam:cool:
                  -10-22-2001, 05:39 PM
                • Nick
                  Martz Loses Cool With Media Over Pass to Rush Ratio
                  by Nick
                  Martz Loses Cool With Media Over Pass to Rush Ratio

ST. LOUIS - Win or lose, Mike Martz is doing it his way.

The St. Louis Rams' coach was defiant Monday in the face of persistent questions about his heavy reliance on the pass, insisting his air-first philosophy will work. He defended his 54-15 pass-run ratio in a 28-25 overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints, like it or lump it.

"Look, you can find another coach then,'' Martz said. ``We're going to play fast and furious, that's what we do, and we're going to run it because we want to run it, not because somebody feels like we've got to be balanced.

"That's just the way it is. Get used to it.''

Martz pointed out the Rams' go-ahead touchdown, a 19-yard scramble by Marc Bulger with 28 seconds to go in regulation, came while the team was in passing mode. The nine-play drive that began with 1:48 remaining was all pass. And the Rams were successful at the start of the game while calling 11 pass plays and one run, scoring one touchdown and driving deep into New Orleans territory before Bulger fumbled on a scramble.

So don't talk to him about balance.

"You want to sit in that meeting room with me and look at tape with me all year long, then we'll discuss it,'' Martz said.

The passing game isn't what got the Rams beat. The culprit was a soft defense perhaps still adjusting to new coordinator Larry Marmie, and to injuries at cornerback and linebacker.

The Rams allowed points on five consecutive possessions at one stage of the game, and put up little resistance on both the drive that forced overtime and the Saints' winning march. Twenty-four seconds was two more than the Saints needed to tie it after getting possession at their 42 following a botched squib kick, and the Saints needed only six plays to move 54 yards to set up John Carney's winning 31-yard field goal in overtime.

St. Louis has been particularly vulnerable against the run, allowing big games to aging Emmitt Smith, quarterback Michael Vick and now unsung Aaron Stecker, who had a career-best 106 yards in a fill-in role for the injured Deuce McAllister.

The end result is that just like last season, the Rams are 1-2. But also like last season, when they finished 12-4 and won the NFC West, they're counting on recovering from the sub-par start.

"No one in this locker room is going to give up,'' Bulger said. "It will be tough, but we just have to get it going.''

Martz is just as confident, even though the Rams' next two games are on the road at San Francisco and Seattle.

"I do believe we're going to be fine,'' Martz said. "It's just not going to happen overnight, obviously, but we're going to end up being a pretty good team.''

Other problem areas have been penalties, especially on...
                  -09-27-2004, 07:26 PM
                Working...
                X