News!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News!

Not what we needed right now. You all might want to check out the USA Today. I am sure they ahve saving this article

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/r...12-07-rift.htm

I'm sorry to say this, but it doesn't surprise me. I always thought that the Rams were taking a step down in losing Vermeil. Don't get me wrong. Martz has a good head on his shoulders. But, he's no Dick Vermeil. Martz is way too head strong and allows his pride to interfere with his decisions. The Rams would have beaten Tampa had he let Faulk get the ball more.

I can't say I know all the details of this "problem" Martz is having, but I just don't think this would happening with Vermeil at the helm. He built the Rams with a great offensive coordinator in Martz. In my opinion, Martz isn't the head coach that Vermeil is. He has a great offensive mind, but not the temperament or political savvy to handle the balance of power that is needed to be head coach. He doesn't seem very good at compromise. :upset:

Comment

If one of the two has to go, I would prefer it to be Martz. I firmly believe it was ARMEY who put together the talent that allowed Vermiel to win the bowl. Remember, Armey and Zygmunt essentially had to threaten Vermiel's job to get him to give up on Tony Blanks [sic]. I think Martz is accomplishing the same things Siefert did with the whiners...taking superior talent and staying out of the way just enough to allow continued success.

I'm not a Martz fan ass a head coach. I thought he was the best O.C. in the business, but I think he has lots and lots to learn as a head coach.

This definitely is an unneeded distraction!

Comment

DO WHAT'S RIGHT...

In effect, once you reach a high status of success, pesky problems begin to flare up. Foolish problems, imaginary, unnecessary --or, psychosomatic if you will-- type of ailments.

It is an integral part of leadership within an organization made up of several leaders, managers, owners, vice-presidents, etc. Call it ego, greed, immaturity, professional or personal insecurity. Selfishness.

It is a typical study in the character of power Vs... the power of character. They know it (lest they be true leaders). And the solution is simply to come down from a presumed throne and to be honest, to level with each other regardless of who is "right."

The tragedy, of course, is when one of the parties cannot see.

"Isn't a pitty, now isn't a shame,
        how we break each other's heart and cause each other pain?
        How we take each other's love, without thinking anymore,
        forgetting to give back, now isn't it a pity?
        " G. Harrison

In the great scheme of things, be it among great corporations, amateur or professional sport enterprises --or in the marvelous mystery of marriage, in times of war and in times of peace, it is all a part of THE GAME, namely, to do what is RIGHT.

Indeed, we don't need that right now, it is a distraction.
        So in order to carry on, GO RAMS!!! :ram:
        Last edited by RealRam; -12-07-2001, 03:23 PM.

Comment

M.M.M.

Say, I forgot to mention... I don't want Coach Martz to go! That would be a terrible mind to waste! He may be "Mad Mike Martz" but he's been great!

His ways have been tough but effective. I believe the Rams management, coaches, players and fans understand him better now -- and many today actually like him! I do! Kurt Warner does! Lovie Smith, Ernie Conwell, etc.3x...

Let's give it a go, ALL THE WAY! I call it, "winning 3-M: the Mike Martz Method."
          Come on Mikeee! GO RAMS!!! :evil:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Curly Horns
            Vermeil hired Martz
            by Curly Horns
            They met in a Mobile hotel room in January of 1999.

That is where DV interviewed Mike, at the Senior Bowl.

Give all the credit to Mike Martz, if you want, but make no mistake, DV hired Mike Martz.

A smart move that deserves some credit towards the Rams success.

:helmet:
            -10-25-2005, 12:52 PM
            Martz vs Vermeil last 4 years
            by Guest
            Vermeil and Martz are both about to leave their teams. If you look at what Vermeil has done with KC who was bad when he took over you can see that he has left them better off then Martz left us the Chiefs were 10-6 this year we were 6-10. Over the last 4 years Vermeil has a better winning % at KC then the Rams. Vermeils team has a 38-26 record over the last four years and the Rams have had a 33-31 record. I think Martz was a good offensive coordinator but I think he was a contributing factor in bring this team down. He inherited a Superbowl team loaded with great players and I doubt he will ever coach a team as loaded with talent as that team was. We beat a good Dallas team by playing good D with Zero turnovers something that has been almost non-existent under Martz. That was the first time in the last 28 games that we had Zero turnovers. I enjoyed watching the greatest show on turf and I thank him for that time but we can do just fine without him IMO.

Bye Bye M&M hello new D minded HC.
            -01-01-2006, 10:40 PM
          • the brent
            Martz has to go..
            by the brent
            ..Just an attention grabber there really - 2 pre-season games a season does not make. However Martz continues to make some incredibly questionable decisions, including player and personnel aquisitions, alienated a number of players and cost The Rams at least one - more likely two - superbowls on his watch. When you look at the Rams since '99 they have put up some remarkable stats but it could be said that that is the team Dick built. This season has to be make or break for him, nothing less than making it to the NFC championship. There is definately an argument stating that Martz was a brilliant offensive coordinator but simply has no business being a head coach, at least maybe at this level.
            -08-24-2005, 01:15 PM
          • RamWraith
            Think what you will about Martz; he made football fun in this town
            by RamWraith
            By Bernie Miklasz
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            01/04/2006

Mike Martz will resurface. He will return to dial up 50 passes a game in another town, for another team, driving his new team's fans crazy. They may be laughing or frowning, cheering or booing, but Martz will move them. This is a coach who gets a reaction. He is many things, but the word "dull" never will be applied in any description of Martz.

"The Greatest Show" goes away, but never completely leaves the imagination. After all, the circus always comes back, and so it will be for Martz, the ringleader of one of the most dazzling offensive productions in NFL history.

Mad Mike still has a few scores to settle, a few more defensive coordinators to torment, and may the football gods have mercy on defenses when this coach clears his head and reloads his offense during a second-chance head-coaching opportunity.

Martz may have to sit out for a while. He may have to go into exile for the 2006 season, to rehabilitate his image and find inner peace, but that may be the best thing for him.

Martz needs time to truly disengage from the grueling experience in St. Louis. Martz's bacterial infection of the heart valve has cleared, and medically he's 100 percent ready to work, but he's still battered emotionally after predictably losing a power struggle with Rams executives John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt.

If Martz doesn't hook up immediately as a head coach, he should view the sabbatical as a precious opportunity to exhale and enjoy life. Martz could take his wonderful wife Julie on a trip around the world, or go on the kind of relaxing, leisurely adventures that are impossible to arrange for a full-time, football-consumed coach.

And a year from now, a completely rested, recharged and refocused Martz would be a hot candidate. His agent, Bob Lamonte, would have no problem marketing the Martz II Project to NFL owners. If you're an NFL owner with a dormant offense that needs to be zapped back to life, how could you resist the reformed Mike Martz? How could you turn away from 30 points a game? Americans love a second act.

Martz is feeling low these days, but he's been through rougher days than this. His alcoholic father bailed on his mom and four brothers when Mike was a kid. Mike survived, maturing sooner than any child should just to help keep the family strong.

After Martz got fired from a coaching gig at Arizona State, he couldn't find another job, so he became an unpaid volunteer assistant to Los Angeles Rams coach Chuck Knox. By then, Mike and Julie had four children, and it wasn't easy. But again, he overcame the hard times.

And Martz will rally again.

During his time as the Rams head coach, I frequently sparred with the media-sensitive Martz. This is a guy who did not hesitate to pick up the phone, dial my number,...
            -01-05-2006, 04:52 AM
          • 1st & Goal
            Martz as Rams head coach.
            by 1st & Goal
            There has been a lot of discussion regarding Martz status as HC. Many have called for his removal due to his failures regarding time outs, game preperation and play calling. Others have pointed out his winning % as a reason to keep him. My question is how does he compare with Andy Reid. ESPN is reporting the Eagles gave Reid a 4 yr extention. This to a coach of the team who went to the divisional finals in his home stadium (twice) and lost. At least Martz took the Rams to the SB. I know we lost and many out there think it should not have happened but at least we made it. :ramlogo:
            -09-08-2004, 10:55 AM
          Working...
          X