Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Hold First Meeting As A Team In Los Angeles

Rams hold first meeting as a team in Los Angeles

Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald speaks at a news conference on March 4 in Manhattan Beach as the team held its first meeting in Southern California.
    (Leon Bennett / Getty Images)

Gary Klein - Contact Reporter

The Los Angeles Rams met for the first time as a team in Southern California on Friday, and players said they came away from the gathering with good information.

“It was productive and it was informative,” offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said after the meeting at a Manhattan Beach hotel. “They basically gave us a general idea of what to do here.

“But it’s still going to be a lot of work. We know that you need to be flexible. It’s a lot of changes in a short amount of time.”

Rams Coach Jeff Fisher, General Manager Les Snead and Kevin Demoff, executive vice president of football operations, and other team executives attended the voluntary meeting.

Demoff said the meeting enabled players to “really begin the process of what being an L.A. Ram looks like.”

The players were shown a video of plans for the new Inglewood stadium, which is scheduled to be completed in time for the 2019 season.

“They were hooting and hollering,” Demoff said. “They were excited, which I think makes us excited.”
    Fisher said about 80% of the roster attended the meeting.

Players were informed that they would have off-season workouts in Oxnard, and that they probably would have training camp at UC Irvine and in-season workouts in the Thousand Oaks area.

The off-season program begins April 18. Fisher said he addressed commuting in Southern California traffic.

“It was just good to be here and hear from Coach and everything so we all understand what to expect and where we’re going to be at,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said.

Punter Johnny Hekker said the meeting was productive.

“We’ve all been in the dark, kind of, to this point, but this meeting helped clear up a lot of stuff,” he said.

Hekker said players and families were looking forward to the move from St. Louis to Southern California.

“They’re a little bit sad to be leaving what’s familiar, but the sunshine and sandy beaches aren’t too bad to have waiting ahead of you,” he said. “People are pretty excited. I’ve had people hitting me up asking when I’m getting Disneyland season passes, so well see how that all shakes out.”

Fisher said cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who received the franchise tag on Tuesday, signed a tender offer. If the Rams and Johnson do not reach agreement on a longer-term deal by July 15, Johnson will earn about $14 million next season.

Johnson and cornerback Janoris Jenkins, also an unrestricted free agent, did not attend the meeting.

Johnson and cornerback Janoris Jenkins, also an unrestricted free agent, did not attend the meeting.
    Interesting.

Comment

Welcome back to the land of sun and fun.... You're gonna love it.

I expect a few of the Los Angeles Rams to set up their homes in the same area where the meeting was held (Manhattan Beach) and many more to land in or near the more upscale OC beaches like Newport Beach and maybe north in the Malibu area. I also expect the Rams to eventually set up a permanent training facility near Thousand Oaks as well.

...Los Angeles Rams. It has such a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Welcome home boys.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

Interesting.
        TruJo just signed his franchise tag deal yesterday so maybe that had something to do with him not being able to go to the meeting, as for Jenkins he's technically not on the team and I know he thinks he will get more than the Rams will/have offered which he probably will so I'm not surprised nor am I bothered that he didn't show.

I am curious as to who the 20% were (minus TruJo) who are actually under contract to the Rams that didn't show and why didn't they show.

Why make the meeting voluntary in the first place. If you are under contract you are at the meeting unless there are special circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

Interesting.

Maybe that was him "speaking' about the tag..........

Comment

Originally posted by ramsbruce View Post

TruJo just signed his franchise tag deal yesterday so maybe that had something to do with him not being able to go to the meeting, as for Jenkins he's technically not on the team and I know he thinks he will get more than the Rams will/have offered which he probably will so I'm not surprised nor am I bothered that he didn't show.

I am curious as to who the 20% were (minus TruJo) who are actually under contract to the Rams that didn't show and why didn't they show.

Why make the meeting voluntary in the first place. If you are under contract you are at the meeting unless there are special circumstances.

Fisher said in the interview that some players had other commitments that he was OK with

Comment

Well LA will have some getting used to for the players. Crawling out of their fish bowl.
              Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Originally posted by RamDez View Post
                Fisher said in the interview that some players had other commitments that he was OK with
                Of course he did.

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
                  Welcome back to the land of sun and fun.... You're gonna love it.

I expect a few of the Los Angeles Rams to set up their homes in the same area where the meeting was held (Manhattan Beach) and many more to land in or near the more upscale OC beaches like Newport Beach and maybe north in the Malibu area. I also expect the Rams to eventually set up a permanent training facility near Thousand Oaks as well.

...Los Angeles Rams. It has such a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Welcome home boys.
                  It certainly does have nice ring to it! Especially for those of us that used to call the team by that name. Absolutely.

Thousand Oaks / Irvine CA. Ah, that brings back a few memories as well.

Rams Expect to Put Training Facility
                  in Thousand Oaks Area

The Rams may practice at the temporary site for 2 1/2 years until completion of their new stadium in Inglewood, set for 2019.

MANHATTAN BEACH, CA -
                  By ALEXANDER NGUYEN -
                  March 5, 2016 3:26 pm ET

The Los Angeles Rams' temporary regular-season training facility will likely be in the Thousand Oaks area and the team expects to hold training camp at UC Irvine, coach Jeff Fisher said.

The Rams are looking "at several different options in Thousand Oaks," Fisher said a news conference following a meeting for their players in Manhattan Beach to give them information about the team's return to Southern California.

The Rams may practice at the temporary site for 2 1/2 years until completion of their new stadium in Inglewood, set for 2019.
                  The team is encouraging its players to live in the Thousand Oaks area to minimize driving times, Fisher said.

Holding training camp at UC Irvine is "looking good," Fisher said.

The Rams held training camp at UC Irvine in 1991, 1992 and 1994 when they played their home games at what was then known as Anaheim Stadium.

About 80 percent of the team's players attended the meeting, Fisher said.

"I thought we got a lot accomplished," Fisher said.

The players "had been in the dark" about issues related to the team's return to Southern California and this meeting "helped clear up a lot of stuff and kind of put a lot of minds at easy, especially all of our wives and players' girlfriends," punter Johnny Hekker said.
                  "There had been a lot of unanswered questions, but today we were able to get a lot of information," Hekker said.
                  Hekker said his teammates are "very excited" about the move to Los Angeles, where the team played from 1946 to 1979 before moving to Anaheim, where they played through 1994, then moved to St. Louis.

"They're a little bit sad to be leaving what's familiar, but I think the sunshine and sandy beaches aren't too bad to have waiting ahead of you," Hekker said.

The meeting was the team's first gathering of players in Los Angeles since its return to Southern California was approved by NFL owners on Jan. 12.

The Rams needed to receive permission from the NFL Management Council and NFL Players Association, the union representing the league's players, to hold the meeting because of limitations of off-season gatherings under the league's collective bargaining agreement.
                  Fisher also announced cornerback Trumaine Johnson had signed his franchise tender, guaranteeing he will remain with the team in 2016.

The Rams announced Tuesday they had elected to place the non-exclusive franchise tag on Johnson, virtually insuring he would remain with the team in 2016.

Placing the non-exclusive franchise tag on him still allowed Johnson to negotiate with other teams in free agency, but if he signed with another team, that team would owe the Rams two first-round picks in compensation.

The compensation made it unlikely another team would sign Johnson.

Under terms of the league's collective bargaining agreement, Johnson will be paid $13.952 million for the 2016 season, based on a formula involving the average of the five highest salaries at the position last season and the league's salary cap.

The Rams will be able to negotiate terms of a long-term contract with Johnson's representatives until July 15.

Johnson was third in the NFL with seven interceptions last season and has made 15 interceptions since being selected in the third round of the 2012 draft out of Montana, the most in his draft class.
                  Last edited by RealRam; -03-05-2016, 10:26 PM. Reason: Format

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X