PFT: Foles likely gone by start of season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: Foles likely gone by start of season

Will Nick Foles be a member of the Rams in 2016?
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2016, 10:17 AM EDT

As the Broncos continue to turn over each and every stone in search of a potential quarterback to compete with Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian, hereís a name that hasnít been mentioned: Rams quarterback Nick Foles.

On one hand, Foles already has earned a $6 million roster bonus for 2016, and his $1.75 million base salary for the coming year is fully guaranteed. On the other hand, thereís a sense that Foles has been tabbed as the odd man out, with Case Keenum, Sean Mannion, and whoever the Rams draft filling out the primary three spots on the depth chart for the first year back in L.A.

One source with knowledge of the dynamics already has predicted that Foles likely will be gone by the start of training camp, and that he definitely will not be on the team before Week One.

So why havenít the Rams already moved on? For starters, the $6 million roster bonus was fully guaranteed as of last year. The only extra obligation arising from keeping Foles into March 2016 came from the base salary. If Foles is traded, the base salary goes with him.

The financial circumstances could make Foles attractive as a trade candidate. At a time, for example, when the Broncos unsuccessfully are squeezing ***** quarterback Colin Kaepernick to take only $7 million this year, the Broncos could get Foles for exactly 25 percent of that amount.

Yes, the deal comes with $4.5 million in incentives. But if Foles does whatever he needs to do to earn those amounts, thatís presumably good news for his new team.

The bigger problem comes from 2017, when Folesí salary shoots to $10.75 million. So it would be a one-year arrangement under the current deal.

Another problem comes from the fact that Foles simply wasnít very good last year. Which is likely one of the reasons the Broncos havenít kicked tires on the possibility of acquiring him.

From the Ramsí perspective, itís likely that theyíll squat on Foles unless and until they draft a quarterback later this month. Once that happens, with maybe a free-falling Jared Goff or Paxton Lynch becoming the next potential Roman Gabriel, John Hadl, Pat Haden, Vince Ferragamo, or Jim Everett, Foles will be adding a new city to a travel itinerary that has taken him from Philly to St. Louis to L.A. in the last 13 months.

Interesting proposition. I think the Rams will likely cut Foles after June 1 when his cap hit goes from $8 million to $7 million.

I have some questions about what our draft strategy will be on the QB position, as some others here may as well. If Goff or Wentz falls to us at #15 fine, but Lynch is not likely going to be a factor in 2016 posing this question; are we willing to go through 2016 with Keenum and Mannion plus maybe Foles and see what next year's FA and draft offers QB-wise. Cook may be another option. Even later Prescott is an option too. I'm not looking to start a firestorm here, but I'm thinking the Rams FO has to be asking themselves this question. There may be a train of thought that if we improve the receiving corps that may elevate the performance of our QB. Big issues that have to be answered in a few weeks.

Go Rams!

Comment

I say this year we focus on improving the receiver corps. We are in prime position to draft the best available WR and TE in Rounds 1 & 2. Then after that its a crap shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
        Interesting proposition. I think the Rams will likely cut Foles after June 1 when his cap hit goes from $8 million to $7 million.

I have some questions about what our draft strategy will be on the QB position, as some others here may as well. If Goff or Wentz falls to us at #15 fine, but Lynch is not likely going to be a factor in 2016 posing this question; are we willing to go through 2016 with Keenum and Mannion plus maybe Foles and see what next year's FA and draft offers QB-wise. Cook may be another option. Even later Prescott is an option too. I'm not looking to start a firestorm here, but I'm thinking the Rams FO has to be asking themselves this question. There may be a train of thought that if we improve the receiving corps that may elevate the performance of our QB. Big issues that have to be answered in a few weeks.

Go Rams!
        I may be in the minority, but I'm not one that believes the Rams should take a QB in the first round this year. The two "top picks", Wentz and Goff, will cost the Rams too much to give up in order to move up. I don't believe they're enough of a "sure bet" to do that. If they want to get a QB in this draft, either trade down and get more picks and take Lynch, Prescott or Cook and hope they can be ready for the 2017 season, because they're project QB's IMHO. As for getting one this year in FA, there wasn't anything out there worthy of picking up IMHO. SO, what were the Rams to do? The Foles contract was a big mistake.

The Rams need to find out this year if their current "project QB", Mannion, is ready for prime time. As for Foles, outside of the trade which allowed the Rams to get rid of Bradford's salary cap hit, it was a head scratcher from day one for me. He sucks. He had one good season in Philly, but if you watch him, really watch him, he makes poor decisions, is horribly slow at getting the ball out and runs like he's in mud. I watched the GB game highlights today and he almost single-handedly handed that game to the Packers. ...and it wasn't because he was getting beaten to death because of the O line as some have said. He looked lost in his decision making and had absolutely no pocket presence. He needs to go.

But as far as the draft goes, the Rams need some WR depth, and unfortunately, this draft is incredibly thin at #1 WR's. In fact, I'd argue that there isn't a #1 WR in there. Losing Bailey to that horrific incident in Florida was crushing to the Rams. I truly thought he could have been a really good receiver for us and thought he was our best receiver. Here's hoping he beats all odds and makes a complete comeback. But if the Rams have a shot at the #1 or #2 WR, they should pick them up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

I may be in the minority, but I'm not one that believes the Rams should take a QB in the first round this year. The two "top picks", Wentz and Goff, will cost the Rams too much to give up in order to move up. I don't believe they're enough of a "sure bet" to do that. If they want to get a QB in this draft, either trade down and get more picks and take Lynch, Prescott or Cook and hope they can be ready for the 2017 season, because they're project QB's IMHO. As for getting one this year in FA, there wasn't anything out there worthy of picking up IMHO. SO, what were the Rams to do? The Foles contract was a big mistake.

The Rams need to find out this year if their current "project QB", Mannion, is ready for prime time. As for Foles, outside of the trade which allowed the Rams to get rid of Bradford's salary cap hit, it was a head scratcher from day one for me. He sucks. He had one good season in Philly, but if you watch him, really watch him, he makes poor decisions, is horribly slow at getting the ball out and runs like he's in mud. I watched the GB game highlights today and he almost single-handedly handed that game to the Packers. ...and it wasn't because he was getting beaten to death because of the O line as some have said. He looked lost in his decision making and had absolutely no pocket presence. He needs to go.

But as far as the draft goes, the Rams need some WR depth, and unfortunately, this draft is incredibly thin at #1 WR's. In fact, I'd argue that there isn't a #1 WR in there. Losing Bailey to that horrific incident in Florida was crushing to the Rams. I truly thought he could have been a really good receiver for us and thought he was our best receiver. Here's hoping he beats all odds and makes a complete comeback. But if the Rams have a shot at the #1 or #2 WR, they should pick them up.
          I totally agree with your points. I too am not in favor of drafting a QB in round 1 largely because Goff and Wentzel will be gone by #15 and moving up will be too costly. I think, as you do that we should draft a top notch WR at #15 and I'm thinking Josh Doctson is the best of a weak class. In fact I'm hoping that Hunter Henry is there at #43 to improve the receiving corps at the TE spot. If Doctson is gone I would opt for Tyler Boyd or Michael Thomas in round 2. Don't hate on me, but if that scenario plays out I would opt for Reggie Ragland at #15. He's an upgrade over JLau and keeps Ogletree outside, where I think he's better. He would be a plug 'n play for 10 years at MLB. I don't think that will happen, but I thought I'd share so so one on the site will call me crazy.

As for QB I still feel we need to know what Mannion has and go from there.

Go Rams!

Comment

I totally agree with your points. I too am not in favor of drafting a QB in round 1 largely because Goff and Wentzel will be gone by #15 and moving up will be too costly. I think, as you do that we should draft a top notch WR at #15 and I'm thinking Josh Doctson is the best of a weak class. In fact I'm hoping that Hunter Henry is there at #43 to improve the receiving corps at the TE spot. If Doctson is gone I would opt for Tyler Boyd or Michael Thomas in round 2. Don't hate on me, but if that scenario plays out I would opt for Reggie Ragland at #15. He's an upgrade over JLau and keeps Ogletree outside, where I think he's better. He would be a plug 'n play for 10 years at MLB. I don't think that will happen, but I thought I'd share so so one on the site will call me crazy.

Go Rams!
            ​I actually like Ragland pick at #15. It wouldn't take much to upgrade JLau (of the past two years) and I'm a little concerned with Tree at the Mike position. Plus, we need some more depth there.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by MDE8352gorams View Post

Go Rams!
              Agreed. After a couple of weeks of playing with the thought of moving up for a top QB ... hmm, now I'm leaning towards RFRH's view of going with an "other" name, e.g., Laquon Treadwell. And hope that Mannion can respond well.

Foles chances of remaining with the Rams? No, too much money, not enough value.

Comment

Don't hate on me, but if that scenario plays out I would opt for Reggie Ragland at #15. He's an upgrade over JLau and keeps Ogletree outside, where I think he's better. He would be a plug 'n play for 10 years at MLB. I don't think that will happen, but I thought I'd share so so one on the site will call me crazy.

Go Rams!
                I do think that or something like that will happen. I also believe that the Rams have to find out about Mannion. I also believe none of this year's QB's in the draft are day one ready and the Rams don't need another question mark at QB. In fact I believe the Rams QB's next season will be the same including Foles. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Foles is the opening day starter.

:helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post

I do think that or something like that will happen. I also believe that the Rams have to find out about Mannion. I also believe none of this year's QB's in the draft are day one ready and the Rams don't need another question mark at QB. In fact I believe the Rams QB's next season will be the same including Foles. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Foles is the opening day starter.

Fish even has alluded to the fact that Foles might be starting for the Rams again at some point so you are not far off that mark... IMHO
                  I think Mannion stays at the 3 spot on the depth chart for now but if Foles is moved or traded etc then he certainly gets to the 2 spot and a drafted guy goes into the 3 spot.
                  But as for the first game of the season I think Case K. is the guy if he makes it through healthy to that point, I don't think Foles can win his job back after seeing him falter and fall so far last year!

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

Losing Sted was absolutely terrible Ė he had the best hands among all our receivers IMO. Completely agree about drafting a QB. No sure bets this year, let alone the cost of moving up high enough. Trading down might be the better option if Treadwell is gone. (Yes he is my favorite at this point).

Before we draft yet another "project" quarterback we should find out what Mannion brings to the table under live fire. Keenum is serviceable; Foles is an enigma. If another team covets Foles enough to trade a player or draft pick, then fine Ė move him. On the other hand:

Originally posted by Randart View Post
                    Fish even has alluded to the fact that Foles might be starting for the Rams again at some point so you are not far off that mark... IMHO
                    I think Mannion stays at the 3 spot on the depth chart for now but if Foles is moved or traded etc then he certainly gets to the 2 spot and a drafted guy goes into the 3 spot.
                    But as for the first game of the season I think Case K. is the guy if he makes it through healthy to that point, I don't think Foles can win his job back after seeing him falter and fall so far last year!
                    Fisher has said there will be an open quarterback competition. Keenum may have the ďpole positionĒ for now, but he will have to prove he deserves it in camp and preseason. Foles could surprise Ė or not. Truthfully I donít know what to think of him at this point. I do believe that if we can draft or trade for a receiver who excels at catching contested balls, our quarterback will be able to build some much needed trust. That Bradley Marquez guy could come on this year as well Ė heís a good special teams guy and fearless over the middle. A long shot perhaps, but heís got a shot.

Comment

All I can say is THANK YOU P. MANNING....

I hate the Broncos (just because) and his late decision to retire or play another season froze the Broncos like a deer caught in the headlights and the heir to Manning now finds himself in Texas...JUST WONDERFUL,

Add some insult to injury, like winning the Super Bowl and being LAST pick makes it unlikely the Broncos will even get a sniff at drafting in the 1st round a QB...sadly in my view there isn't a QB worth a first round pick this year--BUT SOMEONE is liking going too.

Now this article does give me pause for thought....its an interesting possibility. But as tempting all the possibilities are, the Rams do find themselves wearing the same shoes as the Broncos---lack of a QB to be confident in. Keeping Foles on the Ram's squad indicates OL...OL....OL. Without OL play in 2016, the Rams likely will see similar success they had in 2015

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X