X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Mayock said he was impressed when studying video of Goff after the season and initially thought he was the best quarterback prospect in the class. He changed his mind, though, after watching tape of Wentz.

"At that point, I had never heard of Carson Wentz," Mayock said. "He was just a name on a quarterback list. I put in his tape against Northern Iowa and when I got done with it I was like, 'Wow, I hope the next one is just as good, because this was kind of special.' And the next one was just as good if not better, as was the next one."
    Wentz clearly has a lot going for him - athletic ability, size, arm strength, poise, mobility, intangibles - and he could be a great quarterback. I would be pleased with either him or Goff, as either would be significant upgrades over the Rams' current personnel and give them hope for a franchise QB.

But in an article that's trying to make Wentz sound like a slam dunk for the pick, you probably shouldn't include quotes from one of TV's leading draft analysts admitting that he had no idea who the guy was before this offseason. Wentz's rise from seemingly solid Day 2 prospect at the conclusion of the 2015 season to "no question" top overall pick is a little alarming to me.

Leave a comment:

• ramsbruce
    replied
    Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post
    You know, Fisher did pretty well with Steve McNair, another 1AA QB.
    McNair was a college phenom. Some people forget or never knew how great he was in college. He had close to 6000 yards rushing and passing combined along with 53 TDs in his senior year.

McNair didn't start a full season until his third year in the NFL.

Fisher has done next to nothing with every QB he's had not named McNair.

Leave a comment:

• renrawtruk
    replied
    One other reason why I prefer Wentz.

Goff at 6'4 215 looks alot like 2 other breakable QB's we've had. At least his last name doesn't start with a B.

Leave a comment:

• RealRam
    replied
    Ooops. I hadn't seen the article here. I just placed it in the "Who do you want?" thread. Sorry.

Still, I want Wentz.

Leave a comment:

• Curly Horns
    replied
    You know, Fisher did pretty well with Steve McNair, another 1AA QB.

Leave a comment:

• Farmer: North Dakota State's Carson Wentz Is A 'No-Brainer' Choice For The Rams

North Dakota State's Carson Wentz is a 'no-brainer' choice for the L.A. Rams

Sam Farmer - Contact Reporter

Football is a game of disguise and misdirection, so fittingly the Rams aren't disclosing which quarterback they'll select with the No. 1 pick in this month's draft, Cal's Jared Goff or North Dakota State's Carson Wentz.

This much is known: They'll take a quarterback, not surprising considering the hefty price tag required to make the unprecedented move from No. 15 to No. 1.

The Rams had private workouts with both players and it's highly improbable the team hasn't zeroed in on one. As General Manager Les Snead said Thursday in a news conference formally announcing the trade with the Tennessee Titans, "the hay is in the barn" in terms of scouting the quarterbacks. An interesting wrinkle is that both players are represented by agent Bruce Tollner, son of former USC football coach Ted Tollner.

While the Rams have praised both players and caution against assuming that either is out of the running, some outside experts see the choice as clear: It's Wentz who should wind up in L.A.

Nineteen years ago, the newly minted St. Louis Rams made a stunning move, trading up five spots -- and leapfrogging the Oakland Raiders -- to grab the No. 1 pick in the draft and select tackle Orlando Pace, a future Hall of Famer.

The Los Angeles Rams can only hope things go as well this time.

Nineteen years ago, the newly minted St. Louis Rams made a stunning move, trading up five spots -- and leapfrogging the Oakland Raiders -- to grab the No. 1 pick in the draft and select tackle Orlando Pace, a future Hall of Famer.

The Los Angeles Rams can only hope things go as well this time.

"I really like Jared Goff, but he doesn't have the upside that this kid [Wentz] has," said Mike Mayock, NFL Network draft analyst. "So in my mind, it has to be Wentz — it's not even a question — and I think it's the intangibles that sold [Rams Coach] Jeff Fisher and Les Snead, on top of the physical stuff."

Mayock said he was impressed when studying video of Goff after the season and initially thought he was the best quarterback prospect in the class. He changed his mind, though, after watching tape of Wentz.
    "At that point, I had never heard of Carson Wentz," Mayock said. "He was just a name on a quarterback list. I put in his tape against Northern Iowa and when I got done with it I was like, 'Wow, I hope the next one is just as good, because this was kind of special.' And the next one was just as good if not better, as was the next one."

But there wasn't a large body of work from Wentz's 2015 season because he sat out eight games because of a broken wrist. He shined at the Senior Bowl, however, and Mayock said he was clearly the best quarterback there.

Mayock said he was sold on Wentz after attending his pro day in Fargo, N.D.

"I watched him interact with his offensive linemen in the locker room," he said. "They were giving him a hard time, teasing him, 'You're a celebrity. You're not one of us anymore.' He was handling it beautifully, having fun with his guys. The head coach, the offensive coordinator, the quarterback coach, all three of them reiterated how much he controlled the line of scrimmage, the fact that he never got less than an 'A' in school. His work ethic is off the charts."

Another draft expert, Greg Cosell, said that taking the 6-foot-5, 237-pound Wentz over Goff would be a "no-brainer." The former Cal quarterback is an inch shorter and, at 215 pounds, more angular.

"To me, Carson Wentz's physical traits are far better than Jared Goff's," said Cosell, executive producer of NFL Matchups. "I think it's reasonable to compare Wentz to Andrew Luck. The reason people struggled with that for so long, and they still struggle with it, is because of the level of competition [at FCS North Dakota State].

"He can make every kind of throw, whether it involves power and velocity or pace and touch. He played in a very multiple system in college, in which he called the protections at the line of scrimmage."

Cris Collinsworth, color analyst on NBC's Sunday Night Football, raised eyebrows last month when, in his first-ever mock draft, he predicted that the Rams would trade all the way up to make Wentz the top pick.

He took a drubbing on Twitter for making what many people viewed as a ludicrous projection — then sat back and watched that precise scenario unfold, or at least the trade part of it.

Collinsworth too believes that the Rams will take Wentz.

"When you put the tape of Wentz on, the first thing that jumps out at you other than his sheer size is watching him run," said Collinsworth, majority owner of Pro Football Focus, a subscription-based analytics service.

"He is a powerful-looking, maybe not Cam Newton, but in that big, strong, hit-me-I-don't care kind of category. And when I watch him throw, especially on the run, there's an ease to it. The ball just comes out so easily, it makes you think that there's a little more he could put on it. Like watching Usain Bolt run — it always looks like there's one more gear he could hit if he ever had to."

That said, Collinsworth can understand the appeal of Goff, who last season completed 64.5% of his passes, 43 for touchdowns, with 13 interceptions.

"The decision-making, you'd definitely take Goff, his ability to move around and make plays in the pocket, to see down the field," he said. "There's not one thing I don't love about him. ...

"If you said to me, 'You've got to put one of these guys on the field and win a game tomorrow,' I'd probably take Goff. But if you're looking at the next 10-15 years, there just seems to be so much upside to Wentz. I'd take him."

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
    Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick
    by r8rh8rmike
    Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick

April 16, 2016

Updated April 17, 2016 10:43 a.m.

1 of 1
    California quarterback Jared Goff looks for an open receiver against Air Force during the first half of the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec. 29. Goff's pocket presence is considered one of his strengths. RON JENKINS, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

As far as college quarterbacks go, Jared Goff is not among the most decorated.

He racked up gaudy numbers, but did so in an Air Raid-styled spread offense. He was never in serious discussion for any major national awards and had to share his All-Pac-12 first-team nod this past season. He finished with a career record of 14-23.

None of that, however, should prevent the Rams from drafting him No. 1 overall over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz at the end of this month.

“I went into every game thinking I’m the best player on the field,” Goff said last summer. “Because I think you have to.”

He was reflecting on his 2013 debut at Cal, when he became the first true freshman quarterback in program history to start a season opener. That first campaign in Berkeley was miserable, with the Golden Bears winning just a single game under new coach Sonny Dykes.

But to those who would knock Goff for not being a “winner,” consider this: The 21-year-old is already mentally prepared for the hardships of an NFL transition. He is unlikely to see his confidence shaken by even the worst losses, unlikely to be fazed by the pressure of being anointed the savior of Los Angeles pro football.

He also checks off several other boxes, having improved his passer rating by double digits in every season. CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler and NBC Sports’ Josh Norris both rank the Bay Area product as the more attractive prospect, as does Sports Illustrated’s Chris Burke. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller said in a recent radio appearance that he would take Goff over Wentz “without a doubt.”

Even NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, who prefers Wentz for his tools and upside, has called Goff the “most ready-to-play quarterback in this draft.”

“You just don’t see very often college quarterbacks who have his ability both mentally and physically,” Brugler said. “His ability to throw guys open, that passing anticipating. You saw that a little bit with Jameis Winston, but he brings something different to the table – something that projects very well to the NFL level.”

Of course, it’s easy enough to find those on the other side of the aisle, too. Wentz is still the favorite to go No. 1 on a litany of mock drafts, including one from Cris Collinsworth that predicted the Rams’ blockbuster trade a month before it was finalized.

The case for Wentz is simple enough to understand. The Bismarck, N.D., native stands at 6-foot-5 and 235...
    -04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
  • Nick
    Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz: Who should Rams take with No. 1 draft pick?
    by Nick
    Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz: Who should Rams take with No. 1 draft pick?
    Published: April 15, 2016 at 04:05 p.m. Updated: April 15, 2016 at 04:54 p.m.
    NFL.com

On Thursday, the Los Angeles Rams sent shockwaves through the NFL by jumping from No. 15 in this month's draft all the way up to No. 1. Of course, this move didn't come without a price: The Rams sent the Titans two first-round picks, two second-rounders and two third-rounders over the next two drafts (in exchange for No. 1, No. 113 and No. 177 in this month's event). But the trade puts the Rams in position to (presumably) draft a quarterback to build around as the franchise returns to L.A.

It appears that two signal callers have separated themselves from the pack: Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz. Saturday night at 8 p.m. ET, NFL Network will break down the biggest question heading into the 2016 draft with a special program, "Path to the Draft: Goff or Wentz?" But in the meantime, what do you think? Which of these two QBs should the Rams select at No. 1 overall?

Charley Casserly
    Writer | NFL.com
    Carson Wentz has more long-term promise, but Jared Goff is the guy for L.A. in 2016

I like Carson Wentz over Jared Goff long term, but Goff is a better fit right now. And Los Angeles could indeed be a QB away from being a playoff team -- the Rams have a good defense and a Pro Bowl RB in Todd Gurley. Goff has very good pocket presence -- he sees things quickly and has a quick release. But he does not have a top arm.

To be frank, though, I don't think either one of these QBs is an elite prospect.

Daniel Jeremiah
    Writer | NFL.com
    Wentz is the superior prospect -- in fact, he's better than Blake Bortles was coming out of UCF

They should take Carson Wentz. He's bigger, more athletic, has a stronger arm and gained experience in an NFL system while at North Dakota State. He's proven to play his best in big moments, and he's done nothing but win his entire athletic career.

Wentz's toughness, competitiveness and football intelligence are off the charts. He's a better player than Blake Bortles was coming out of Central Florida.

Gil Brandt
    Writer | NFL.com
    I have Wentz rated slightly higher, but I think Goff is a better fit in Los Angeles

In my rankings -- which will be released on NFL.com on Monday -- I have Carson Wentz one spot ahead of Jared Goff. But, if I were the Rams, I would go with Goff because of the fact the he was raised in California. He would be much more familiar with the difficulty of movement in Los Angeles, mainly traffic and the pace of living. Goff would have an easier time adapting to the high-intensity way of life in the L.A. area. Moving to California would be a culture shock for anybody who has lived their entire life in North Dakota.

Lance Zierlein
    Writer |...
    -04-16-2016, 12:21 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Wentz has advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than Goff
    by r8rh8rmike
    Carson Wentz has one simple advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than No. 1 pick Jared Goff
    Cork Gaines Sep. 20, 2016, 12:26 PM

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images; Jae Hong/AP

After the Philadelphia Eagles' win on Monday night, they are now 2-0 with Carson Wentz. As a result, questions are already being raised about whether the Los Angeles Rams made a mistake passing on Wentz to draft Jared Goff with the first pick in the draft.

However, those questions may not be fair to Goff simply because Wentz appears to have one big advantage working in his favor: he was drafted by a team that was in a better position to help a young quarterback transition to the NFL.

Before the draft, the general consensus on the two quarterbacks was that Wentz had a slight advantage in ability but that Goff had a huge advantage in being better prepared for the NFL. Goff was coming from Cal and out of the Pac-12 Conference. Meanwhile, Wentz played in the FCS (college football's second division) at North Dakota State. Wentz' learning curve was supposed to be much steeper.

And yet, after two weeks, Wentz has not only grabbed the starting job with the Eagles much sooner than anticipated, but he already looks like a polished NFL quarterback. Meanwhile, Goff has yet to play and didn't even dress for Week 1.

Is Wentz just the better quarterback? It is possible, but it is still too early to know with any certainty. But his early success may be attributable to having a coaching staff that has a lot more experience working with quarterbacks.

Every quarterback has three important coaches that impact their play, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, and the quarterbacks coach. Check out the differences in their resumes, according to Chris Wesseling of Around the NFL:
    Twitter/ChrisWesseling

Now, this is not a complete picture. Weinke is actually in his second year as a coach and was an NFL quarterback for seven seasons. He also helped develop quarterbacks at the IMG Academy in Florida.

But still, it appears, on the surface at least, that Wentz was put into a situation where it would be easier for a young QB to transition to the NFL. All three of Wentz's coaches have served as both offensive coordinators and as quarterbacks coaches. All three of Goff's coaches have combined for less than two seasons of coaching quarterbacks.

None of this means that Goff won't eventually be a star quarterback and it doesn't mean that the Rams whiffed on the pick. But it could explain why Wentz has had more success right out of the gate....
    -09-21-2016, 04:43 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff
    by r8rh8rmike
    Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Cal coach Sonny Dykes learned everything he ever really needed to know about Jared Goff during Goff's freshman season as a teenage quarterback for a program that won only once in 12 tries.

"He never blinked," Dykes said in a phone interview this week, days before Goff makes his long-awaited debut for the Los Angeles Rams. "I think we played Ohio State in Game 3 that year, and we weren’t very good, and we were playing with a ton of young players. Bunch of freshmen. Bunch of O-linemen that weren’t ready to be playing, I can promise you that. He got hit a bunch, and I learned that he was incredibly tough physically, incredibly tough mentally. He never complained one time. He just got up, dusted himself off, went back to the sideline and went back to work. And that’s the best thing about Jared Goff."

This won't be easy for Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NFL draft.

His own coaches have cautioned as much. Jeff Fisher, who warned against judging Goff solely on the merits of his first game Sunday at home against the Miami Dolphins, said Goff is "going to have some moments, like all young quarterbacks do." Or offensive coordinator Rob Boras, who acknowledged that taking practice snaps is "different than actually playing." And quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke, who talked about how the Rams "have to accept that there’s going to be some bumps in the road."

Goff will be tested from Day 1 against a Dolphins team with a devastating front four and standing behind an offensive line that has not performed well this season.

One thing that should help him, Dykes believes, is his footwork in the pocket and his willingness to absorb hits, a trait teammates have already picked up on.

"When they sat down and looked at all the quarterbacks, I think that’s what made him stand out, made him unique and made him the first pick," Dykes said. "It was his toughness, ability to stand in there and throw the ball with somebody in his face. Also, his ability to shuffle around and create space is pretty unique. The NFL game is different than the college game. Everything has to happen much faster than it does in college, but I’m sure he’s made that adjustment. I think he’ll do a great job."

The Rams waited to start Goff largely because he came from an offense in which he did not take a snap from under center and did not call plays from the huddle. Besides getting acclimated to NFL speed, those have been his two biggest adjustments. The system Goff ran at Cal was the pass-happy Air Raid offense that lends itself to gaudy collegiate statistics but traditionally has not produced successful NFL quarterbacks.

Goff ran a lot of run-pass options that mostly required

-11-18-2016, 09:42 AM
  • MauiRam
    Jared Goff has reached out to Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota for advice
    by MauiRam
    By Jackie Bamberger

LOS ANGELES – Few people can understand the pressure that Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff has found himself under.

Luckily for Goff, he just happens to be in touch with some of them.

Goff said he has reached out to Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota, the No. 2 overall pick of the 2015 NFL draft, as well as Blake Bortles, whom the Jaguars took with No. 3 pick in 2014.

“They’ve been all very helpful,” Goff said at Thursday’s NFL All-Access event at the Los Angeles Coliseum. “They have all said, ‘Ask me anything. I’m very happy to help.’ It was good talking to them.”

Mariota in particular has been a welcome resource for Goff as he adjusts to the pro game.

“Marcus gave me some good little hints,” Goff said. “Just different stuff when you’re studying and different stuff that he used to transition from college. We ran similar offenses in college. There'’s different stuff he used to make that transition and I started using them so it definitely helped. Just little different hints.”

Goff has also been in touch with former Rams quarterbacks. He met Vince Ferragamo and Jim Everett the day after he got drafted in April and he has texted with Kurt Warner.

Another Rams great, running back Eric Dickerson, shared some words of advice for Goff, whom he compared to another Cal-bred quarterback.

“He reminds me a little bit of Aaron Rogers with his accuracy,” Dickerson said. “I would tell him just to study. Become a student of the game. As a quarterback, you’ve got to become a student of the game because those defenses move so much and there’s so much happening on that field. He has the ability. I think if he becomes a student of the game, he’ll do very well.”

For now, Goff said he is doing his best to focus on football and not think too much about what they gave up to select him in this year’s draft.

“I’m very honored that they did what they did … At the same time, I’m just one person on the team and I’m going to do my part every day, every week and just not make it more than it is. I’m playing quarterback, I’m playing football and I don’t try to make it more than that.”...
    -06-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Working...
X