Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're a supporter of analytics, then Football Outsiders says Goff's your guy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If you're a supporter of analytics, then Football Outsiders says Goff's your guy

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/ins...rson-wentz-nfl

    Not all the charts are translating so I'm just linking to the article, but the TL;DR version of it is this...

    Based on their metrics, Wentz has a 61.9% chance to bust with a 38.1% chance to be an adequate starter or better. Goff has a 28.1% chance to bust and a whopping 71.8% chance to be adequate or better (37.7% chance of being upper tier). Lynch, Cook, Hackenberg, and Prescott are also examined.


  • #2
    Nick, thanks for sharing. The article you linked to is behind ESPN's paywall, but I found the original article on the Football Outsider's website. I'm going to link it, but feel free to edit it out if you need to.

    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...016/qbase-2016

    As someone who initially wanted Wentz at 15, I hadn't really thought too much about the QBs in the draft until the trade (and it's also the weekend). The more I watch the more I'm starting to think Goff is going to be the better pick. Its easy to fall in the love with Wentz and his projectables, but there are a lot of red flags too.

    Analytics in football seem tricky, but I think Football Outsiders has done a pretty decent job here (there's no "clutch rating"...looking at you ESPN). It's hard to argue that majority of the good QB's in the NFL floated to the top here. Their formula has some notable, but you could make a strong argument that it's a better predictor of success than traditional scouting.

    What's intriguing to me about Goff's projected probability is not only the low bust potential, but the elite potential. The 37.7% upper tier you mentioned includes the combined "Upper Tier" (23.5%) and "Elite" (14.2%). The knock on Goff is that he doesn't have the top-end potential of Wentz. FO and their formula would apparently disagree.

    Comment


    • #3
      "QBASE favors quarterbacks expected to go high in the draft who also have a relatively long resume of college success according to the stats. Those stats include completion percentage, yards per attempt, and team passing efficiency. Most importantly, all those stats are adjusted both for the quality of the defenses that a prospect had to face as well as the quality of his offensive teammates."

      This clearly sets up Wentz to look like a far more likely failure, rather irrationally. He sat behind a 3 time national championship winning QB, for 2 years. No matter how good he was, they weren't going to bench Brock Jensen in favor of Wentz. NDSU also plays a very physical, smash mouth brand of ball. It's primarily a run based offense. I can assure you, they don't feature any game breakers at WR or TE. He was never going to put up eye popping numbers as a passer. It's just not the game that NDSU plays. I don't follow CAL football but I assume they air it out quite a bit, comparatively. Also, what are those things under Goff's body? Are they twigs...or legs? He's not a very sturdy looking kid. Whoever they take better be sturdy, as he will certainly be taking a beating.
      "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
        "QBASE favors quarterbacks expected to go high in the draft who also have a relatively long resume of college success according to the stats. Those stats include completion percentage, yards per attempt, and team passing efficiency. Most importantly, all those stats are adjusted both for the quality of the defenses that a prospect had to face as well as the quality of his offensive teammates."

        This clearly sets up Wentz to look like a far more likely failure, rather irrationally. He sat behind a 3 time national championship winning QB, for 2 years. No matter how good he was, they weren't going to bench Brock Jensen in favor of Wentz. NDSU also plays a very physical, smash mouth brand of ball. It's primarily a run based offense. I can assure you, they don't feature any game breakers at WR or TE. He was never going to put up eye popping numbers as a passer. It's just not the game that NDSU plays. I don't follow CAL football but I assume they air it out quite a bit, comparatively. Also, what are those things under Goff's body? Are they twigs...or legs? He's not a very sturdy looking kid. Whoever they take better be sturdy, as he will certainly be taking a beating.
        You bring up some good points, but I feel the need to play devil's advocate, if only because we've still got a week and a half to have this debate before a pick is made and it's over. ;)

        If we're to go along with the idea that Wentz is a potential franchise quarterback and top overall pick caliber of player, then shouldn't he have beaten out Brock for that job regardless of what Jensen had been able to accomplish to that point? Moreover, shouldn't his superior talent have inspired his coach to expand their offense to better feature his skills? I mean, Jensen went undrafted and is playing Canadian ball right now, and according to this offseason, Wentz could be the next Cam Newton or even Tom Brady depending on whom you listen to. How do you keep that (1) on the bench or (2) saddled in a run-first offense?

        Appreciate your thoughts!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
          "This clearly sets up Wentz to look like a far more likely failure, rather irrationally. He sat behind a 3 time national championship winning QB, for 2 years. No matter how good he was, they weren't going to bench Brock Jensen in favor of Wentz. NDSU also plays a very physical, smash mouth brand of ball. It's primarily a run based offense. I can assure you, they don't feature any game breakers at WR or TE. He was never going to put up eye popping numbers as a passer. It's just not the game that NDSU plays.
          I think the formula does set Wentz up with a higher probability of busting. I don't know about irrationally though. I mean, essentially what you're saying is that a 1.5 year starter (because Wentz only played 7 games as a senior), who played in a run-first offense, against inferior defenses in the FCS doesn't have any higher a probability of busting than someone who doesn't have these limitations (if I understood your post correctly). Because those all sound to me like things that would decrease the probability of successfully transitioning to the NFL. I get that you're saying it's not Wentz's fault, and these are the circumstances he had to work with, and that's all true. But IMO they're all still things that increase the probability of a QB busting.

          Transitioning to the NFL is extremely difficult for anyone, and small school players face a bigger jump in talent than their peers. Wentz is in a unique situation, but he has all of the physical and mental tools necessary for success. With that said, I don't think limited experience and inferior competition can't be dismissed as inconsequential when developing a formula like QBASE designed to predict NFL success.

          Last edited by AtlantaRamFan; -04-17-2016, 01:09 PM.

          Comment


          • #6

            If we draft Goff and Fisher gets fired next year, he could be a great player if the scheme is built around his skill sets.The only problem is we don't have the draft picks to overhaul and change the personnel anytime soon. If Fisher is extended I just don't see Goff ever reaching his full potential under a Fisher coached team. Put another way if Martz was the head coach and the team was already built around talented skill players I'd be all in for Goff.

            When I hear the pundits say Goff is more NFL ready. I say he is but only in certain systems, not in ones where the QB is under center. Wentz is more NFL ready in that system by far, since he's played in they type of system.


            Mariota had a great rookie year but he still was more productive in the shotgun then under center his rookie year and the Titans say they want him under center more this year. If he does not improve his play from under center and the Titans run more plays under center, he will start to regress in 2016. I think it makes sense to take the player that already plays under center with upside then take a player that put up bigger numbers in a system that is not going to be the one he is asked to run in the NFL. Another example RG3, he played great in his rookie year in the same system he played in college, but he became far less productive playing from under center.

            Bottom line is both are solid prospects not off the chart (Luck type) prospects. The Rams spending that draft capital seems like a desperate move, which it is, but what else you gonna do.... Safest play now is to take the one that fits your scheme and personnel, not the one with better numbers that where produced in a system they won't be asked to run in the NFL.

            Wentz is the better fit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok....who here will be looking at the guy we did not draft to see how he is doing each week compared to our guy? I wish it was just one sure fired guy. Scares me to leave that to Fisher lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by macrammer View Post
                Ok....who here will be looking at the guy we did not draft to see how he is doing each week compared to our guy? I wish it was just one sure fired guy. Scares me to leave that to Fisher lol
                Well at least Fisher is good at being 50/50 so I guess there is a 50/50 chance that we will get the better of the two QB's.

                I would be so sweet having Donalds, Gurley and some Stud QB on the same team. But I do not believe it until I see it. And I fear that even if we get the right QB he will just pop he knee in preseason or something. It is really hard to stay optimistic with the Rams and all the down we have been going through for the last 10+ years.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by macrammer View Post
                  Ok....who here will be looking at the guy we did not draft to see how he is doing each week compared to our guy? I wish it was just one sure fired guy. Scares me to leave that to Fisher lol
                  Probably, but you have to tell yourself, the second those picks have been made, the prospects have splintered off into their own paths completely separate from what they could have done with the other teams. The example I always think of is the Rams passing on DeSean Jackson to take Donnie Avery. Who's to say if DeSean Jackson becomes DeSean Jackson if he comes to the Rams and not the Eagles? Is Alex Smith an annual all-pro if he's the one who slips to Green Bay instead of Rodgers? There are so many variables that it makes the comparisons you naturally want to make almost impossible.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nick View Post


                    If we're to go along with the idea that Wentz is a potential franchise quarterback and top overall pick caliber of player, then shouldn't he have beaten out Brock for that job regardless of what Jensen had been able to accomplish to that point? Moreover, shouldn't his superior talent have inspired his coach to expand their offense to better feature his skills? I mean, Jensen went undrafted and is playing Canadian ball right now, and according to this offseason, Wentz could be the next Cam Newton or even Tom Brady depending on whom you listen to. How do you keep that (1) on the bench or (2) saddled in a run-first offense?

                    Appreciate your thoughts!

                    Regarding him beating out or replacing Jensen, there is zero chance that was going to happen...as long as the Bison were steamrolling teams....which they kept doing. There was just no reason to upset the apple cart in such a fashion. Such a move wasn't necessary, nor would it have been fair to Jensen, who IMO was a BETTER football player than Wentz (just not as gifted, physically). Fans and media would have endlessly questioned/roasted the coaches for such a foolish move. Probably, legitimately.

                    The Bison are built to be a run first team....and why mess with success? The real key to what sets them apart is their strength and conditioning program, headed up by a man named Jim Kramer. They pound opponents relentlessly and generally have them sucking wind by the 4th quarter. The last coach (Craig Bohl) who was lured away to coach Wyoming desperately wanted Kramer to join him. Kramer chose to stay put. Not saying there is a direct correlation...but Bohl is failing miserably at Wyoming....and the Bison roll on and on.

                    Look, I'm not buying into the ridiculous Wentz hype train. The kid got incredibly LUCKY with the way things broke for him this season. The game that he got injured in was the teams most humiliating loss (at home to the conference weakling) in the last 5 years. The team sat at 4-2, facing a couple of challenging road games and simply not playing real well. One more loss would have meant no home field run through the playoffs and 2 more losses may have spelled no post season, at all. To be honest, many (me included) figured the championship run was all but over. A freshman QB came in to replace Wentz, the defense began to improve and the team rattled off 8 straight victories...without him. He was still very questionable for the title game and was named starter just the day before the game. He was the focal point of the game, from the opening snap. The play by play team kept saying how 'this kid just made alot of money today' all during the game. I know Mel Kiper had him listed as a top 5 senior QB going into the season....but had things broke the other way (with even one more loss) and NDSU misses that title game...the hype would be nothing compared to what it is. We wouldn't even be having this conversation. He would most likely still be a top 10 QB...but not in the conversation for #1. Just my opinion. I still like him over Goff, just based on his physical stature, work ethic and leadership qualities. Goff just looks like a weak twig to me.
                    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post


                      Regarding him beating out or replacing Jensen, there is zero chance that was going to happen...as long as the Bison were steamrolling teams....which they kept doing. There was just no reason to upset the apple cart in such a fashion. Such a move wasn't necessary, nor would it have been fair to Jensen, who IMO was a BETTER football player than Wentz (just not as gifted, physically). Fans and media would have endlessly questioned/roasted the coaches for such a foolish move. Probably, legitimately.

                      The Bison are built to be a run first team....and why mess with success? The real key to what sets them apart is their strength and conditioning program, headed up by a man named Jim Kramer. They pound opponents relentlessly and generally have them sucking wind by the 4th quarter. The last coach (Craig Bohl) who was lured away to coach Wyoming desperately wanted Kramer to join him. Kramer chose to stay put. Not saying there is a direct correlation...but Bohl is failing miserably at Wyoming....and the Bison roll on and on.

                      Look, I'm not buying into the ridiculous Wentz hype train. The kid got incredibly LUCKY with the way things broke for him this season. The game that he got injured in was the teams most humiliating loss (at home to the conference weakling) in the last 5 years. The team sat at 4-2, facing a couple of challenging road games and simply not playing real well. One more loss would have meant no home field run through the playoffs and 2 more losses may have spelled no post season, at all. To be honest, many (me included) figured the championship run was all but over. A freshman QB came in to replace Wentz, the defense began to improve and the team rattled off 8 straight victories...without him. He was still very questionable for the title game and was named starter just the day before the game. He was the focal point of the game, from the opening snap. The play by play team kept saying how 'this kid just made alot of money today' all during the game. I know Mel Kiper had him listed as a top 5 senior QB going into the season....but had things broke the other way (with even one more loss) and NDSU misses that title game...the hype would be nothing compared to what it is. We wouldn't even be having this conversation. He would most likely still be a top 10 QB...but not in the conversation for #1. Just my opinion. I still like him over Goff, just based on his physical stature, work ethic and leadership qualities. Goff just looks like a weak twig to me.
                      Thanks for the insight!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not disparaging the mathematicians at FootballOutsiders, but I would think it would be difficult to come up with some formula when one kid played a D-2 schedule, and the other played in the Pac-12. Seems like projection would be pretty tough.
                        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by macrammer View Post
                          Ok....who here will be looking at the guy we did not draft to see how he is doing each week compared to our guy? I wish it was just one sure fired guy. Scares me to leave that to Fisher lol
                          Yeah remember when Peyton Manning went #1 there were some that thought the # 2 guy could be better. Anyone remember Ryan Leaf's great NFL career?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PARamfan View Post

                            Yeah remember when Peyton Manning went #1 there were some that thought the # 2 guy could be better. Anyone remember Ryan Leaf's great NFL career?
                            And that is what scares me, I cannot loss the feeling that we will be picking up the Leaf and somebody else will get the Manning I so hope that I am wrong on this feeling. I think we deserve some good fortune and some winning seasons soon

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nick View Post

                              Probably, but you have to tell yourself, the second those picks have been made, the prospects have splintered off into their own paths completely separate from what they could have done with the other teams. The example I always think of is the Rams passing on DeSean Jackson to take Donnie Avery. Who's to say if DeSean Jackson becomes DeSean Jackson if he comes to the Rams and not the Eagles? Is Alex Smith an annual all-pro if he's the one who slips to Green Bay instead of Rodgers? There are so many variables that it makes the comparisons you naturally want to make almost impossible.

                              of course what you say makes complete sense. I personally think Fisher and his old school mentality are not great at developing nor nurturing a QB. So while what you said makes sense is also my reason for concern as a Ram fan. I sincerely hope my concern is unfounded.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Rams expect No. 1 pick Jared Goff will defy Air Raid QBs' shaky NFL history
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Rams expect No. 1 pick Jared Goff will defy Air Raid QBs' shaky NFL history
                                April 30, 2016


                                Despite the Air Raid approach used by Cal, Jared Goff was responsible for checking off at the line, changing protections and using his judgment in other ways some quarterbacks in similar systems don't. RON JENKINS , THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

                                By RYAN KARTJE / STAFF WRITER

                                Over the course of a three-year career at Cal, in which he shattered school records with video-game stats, carried an offense otherwise devoid of talent through a football renaissance, and rocketed to the top of the NFL draft, Jared Goff took exactly one snap under center.

                                It was a third-down pass, last season against Washington. It fell incomplete.

                                Perhaps, in the grand scheme of what made Goff worthy of the draft’s No. 1 pick, this seems like an extraordinarily minor detail. Coaches rave about how he “checks all the boxes,” and in terms of natural tools, it’s hard to dispute their claims. His accuracy, especially on throws outside the hashmarks, looks effortless. With preternatural instincts, his calm navigation of the pocket is otherwise unheard of from prospects his age. His poise and intangibles, forged through two difficult losing seasons in Berkeley, seem to foreshadow a franchise quarterback-in-the-making.

                                “He has a skill set that is special,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He sees things, has a quick release, understands the QB position and he gets rid of the football. When you look at his body at work, it’s impressive.”

                                But about that one snap ...

                                Spread concepts, such as those in Goff’s collegiate offense, are hardly a new trend in college football. Over the past five years, the number of snaps collegiate quarterbacks have taken under center has plummeted by more than 40 percent. And at Cal, where Coach Sonny Dykes has installed his version of the “Air Raid” offense, quarterbacks operate pretty much exclusively out of a no-huddle, up-tempo, four-wideout, shotgun look that relies heavily on the pass to spread out defenses.

                                Pioneered by longtime Kentucky coach Hal Mumme and current Washington State coach Mike Leach, the Air Raid is known to produce high-scoring games and head-turning stats in order to disguise other inefficiencies, and that was certainly true at Cal during Goff’s tenure. Last season, Goff threw for 300-plus yards in 10 of Cal’s 13 games and three or more touchdowns in eight, in spite of a patchwork offensive line and serious lack of weapons.

                                What the Air Raid isn’t known for is producing viable NFL quarterbacks.

                                Among the reasons to question the Rams’ move to wager the future on Goff, this is perhaps the most alarming. Since 1999, when another Air Raid product, Kentucky’s Tim Couch, went No. 1 overall to the Browns, only two true Air Raid quarterbacks were selected in the first round, before this draft. Both – Johnny Manziel and...
                                -05-05-2016, 01:00 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                North Dakota State's Carson Wentz has all the tools, great upside for the Rams
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                North Dakota State's Carson Wentz has all the tools, great upside for the Rams

                                April 16, 2016
                                Updated April 17, 2016 10:40 a.m.


                                North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz has a great arm, ideal physical skills and a locker-room presence, experts say.BRUCE CRUMMY, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS


                                By RYAN KARTJE / STAFF WRITER

                                As any conversation about this 6-foot-5, 235-pound North Dakotan with a howitzer arm, barrel frame and the undeniable look of a franchise quarterback seems to begin these days, let us first address the Bison in the room.

                                Carson Wentz spent the past five years playing college football in Fargo, N.D. After starting just one season at Bismarck Century High, a late growth spurt left his recruiting profile so low that the popular online scouting services didn’t bother to make a page for him. At North Dakota State, an FCS powerhouse, Wentz didn’t start until his redshirt junior season, and he threw just 612 passes over his entire career – only 28 of which came against FBS opponent. All of these things are true.

                                Of course, there’s the 28-3 record and the two FCS championships in two seasons and the glowing off-the-field profile there for your consideration. But there’s no avoiding the reality of the situation. Not since 1974 has an NFL team used the top pick on a player below college football’s highest level.

                                As the Rams wonder whether Wentz or Cal’s Jared Goff would be best to carry a rebranded franchise on their shoulders, this lack of experience against top competition is the specter that hangs over the draft’s most intriguing quarterback prospect.

                                “I know a lot of people have that question,” Wentz said at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. “I know what I’m capable of.”

                                Before deciding for yourself, consider one of those 28 throws against an FBS defense. It’s 2014, Wentz’s first start, and the Bison have just crossed midfield on the road against Iowa State. Wentz drops back from under center, fakes a handoff and steps up into a clean pocket. There are some questions about his pocket presence, but at this moment, he is cool in the face of chaos. On a late read, he launches a bomb 40 yards in the air to wideout Zach Vraa, tucking it cleanly between a charging help safety and a cornerback in man coverage.

                                The throw is a dazzling reminder of why Wentz has risen this far, from small-school nobody to lofty Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger comparisons. “He’s got some seriously great arm talent,” said Randy Hedberg, North Dakota State’s quarterbacks coach.

                                No scout will dispute that. Wentz has a cannon. Next year, his arm might immediately rank among the league’s dozen best.

                                His tools, from the mammoth frame to his 10-inch hands to the 4.77 40 time, suggest that a potential great quarterback can be molded...
                                -04-18-2016, 11:55 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Farmer: North Dakota State's Carson Wentz Is A 'No-Brainer' Choice For The Rams
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                North Dakota State's Carson Wentz is a 'no-brainer' choice for the L.A. Rams






                                Sam Farmer - Contact Reporter

                                Football is a game of disguise and misdirection, so fittingly the Rams aren't disclosing which quarterback they'll select with the No. 1 pick in this month's draft, Cal's Jared Goff or North Dakota State's Carson Wentz.

                                This much is known: They'll take a quarterback, not surprising considering the hefty price tag required to make the unprecedented move from No. 15 to No. 1.

                                The Rams had private workouts with both players and it's highly improbable the team hasn't zeroed in on one. As General Manager Les Snead said Thursday in a news conference formally announcing the trade with the Tennessee Titans, "the hay is in the barn" in terms of scouting the quarterbacks. An interesting wrinkle is that both players are represented by agent Bruce Tollner, son of former USC football coach Ted Tollner.

                                While the Rams have praised both players and caution against assuming that either is out of the running, some outside experts see the choice as clear: It's Wentz who should wind up in L.A.



                                Nineteen years ago, the newly minted St. Louis Rams made a stunning move, trading up five spots -- and leapfrogging the Oakland Raiders -- to grab the No. 1 pick in the draft and select tackle Orlando Pace, a future Hall of Famer.

                                The Los Angeles Rams can only hope things go as well this time.

                                Nineteen years ago, the newly minted St. Louis Rams made a stunning move, trading up five spots -- and leapfrogging the Oakland Raiders -- to grab the No. 1 pick in the draft and select tackle Orlando Pace, a future Hall of Famer.

                                The Los Angeles Rams can only hope things go as well this time.

                                "I really like Jared Goff, but he doesn't have the upside that this kid [Wentz] has," said Mike Mayock, NFL Network draft analyst. "So in my mind, it has to be Wentz — it's not even a question — and I think it's the intangibles that sold [Rams Coach] Jeff Fisher and Les Snead, on top of the physical stuff."



                                Mayock said he was impressed when studying video of Goff after the season and initially thought he was the best quarterback prospect in the class. He changed his mind, though, after watching tape of Wentz.
                                "At that point, I had never heard of Carson Wentz," Mayock said. "He was just a name on a quarterback list. I put in his tape against Northern Iowa and when I got done with it I was like, 'Wow, I hope the next one is just as good, because this was kind of special.' And the next one was just as good if not better, as was the next one."

                                But there wasn't a large body of work from Wentz's 2015 season because he sat out eight games because of a broken wrist. He shined at the Senior Bowl,...
                                -04-15-2016, 10:32 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick

                                April 16, 2016


                                Updated April 17, 2016 10:43 a.m.


                                1 of 1
                                California quarterback Jared Goff looks for an open receiver against Air Force during the first half of the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec. 29. Goff's pocket presence is considered one of his strengths. RON JENKINS, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS



                                As far as college quarterbacks go, Jared Goff is not among the most decorated.

                                He racked up gaudy numbers, but did so in an Air Raid-styled spread offense. He was never in serious discussion for any major national awards and had to share his All-Pac-12 first-team nod this past season. He finished with a career record of 14-23.

                                None of that, however, should prevent the Rams from drafting him No. 1 overall over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz at the end of this month.

                                “I went into every game thinking I’m the best player on the field,” Goff said last summer. “Because I think you have to.”

                                He was reflecting on his 2013 debut at Cal, when he became the first true freshman quarterback in program history to start a season opener. That first campaign in Berkeley was miserable, with the Golden Bears winning just a single game under new coach Sonny Dykes.

                                But to those who would knock Goff for not being a “winner,” consider this: The 21-year-old is already mentally prepared for the hardships of an NFL transition. He is unlikely to see his confidence shaken by even the worst losses, unlikely to be fazed by the pressure of being anointed the savior of Los Angeles pro football.

                                He also checks off several other boxes, having improved his passer rating by double digits in every season. CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler and NBC Sports’ Josh Norris both rank the Bay Area product as the more attractive prospect, as does Sports Illustrated’s Chris Burke. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller said in a recent radio appearance that he would take Goff over Wentz “without a doubt.”

                                Even NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, who prefers Wentz for his tools and upside, has called Goff the “most ready-to-play quarterback in this draft.”

                                “You just don’t see very often college quarterbacks who have his ability both mentally and physically,” Brugler said. “His ability to throw guys open, that passing anticipating. You saw that a little bit with Jameis Winston, but he brings something different to the table – something that projects very well to the NFL level.”

                                Of course, it’s easy enough to find those on the other side of the aisle, too. Wentz is still the favorite to go No. 1 on a litany of mock drafts, including one from Cris Collinsworth that predicted the Rams’ blockbuster trade a month before it was finalized.

                                The case for Wentz is simple enough to understand. The Bismarck, N.D., native stands at 6-foot-5 and 235...
                                -04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
                              • Nick
                                Goff Impressing Coaches with Work Ethic, Showing Early Progress
                                by Nick
                                Goff Impressing Coaches with Work Ethic, Showing Early Progress
                                Posted May 25, 2016
                                Myles Simmons
                                Rams Insider

                                With the Rams beginning OTAs next week, No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff will be on the field squaring off against a defense for the first time in practice. Because players are not in pads, the organized team activities are essentially a period of continued learning. And the coaches who work closely with Los Angeles’ newest quarterback — offensive coordinator Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke — are looking forward to seeing Goff progress on the field.

                                When the organization made the decision to trade for the first pick, it was clear there was a general consensus one quarterback appeared a cut above the rest. According to Weinke, Goff’s film was simply outstanding.

                                “The guy is just a natural passer of the football. You can tell he’s a natural athlete,” the QB coach said. “He was probably the smoothest guy that I’ve evaluated in a long time, as it relates to pocket awareness and pocket presence.

                                “Time after time, you’ve seen him make big plays,” Weinke continued. “And the guy made some ‘wow’ throws that not a lot of college guys have made — or that I’ve ever seen on film. You really put all those variables together, and he was a guy who kind of rose to the top and we felt like would be a good fit here in Los Angeles.”

                                But it wasn’t just about the throws. The fact that Goff helped bring Cal from an 11-loss team his freshman year to winning the program’s first bowl game since 2008 speaks volumes about his leadership ability.

                                “Collectively, you look at his body of work and what he did as a young kid going into Cal … not only physically, but mentally what he was able to accomplish, and truly be the leader of that football team,” Weinke said, adding to “go from 1-11 to going to a bowl game and winning is important, as it relates to the quarterback position and leadership ability.”

                                According to Boras, Goff has shown those qualities even in the short time he’s been a Ram.

                                “Watching him with the other rookies and just the leadership, and getting those guys out involved — it’s all the things that you’d hope for, and you heard,” Boras said. “But now to see it in person, it’s truly exciting.”

                                Goff’s strong work ethic has been well documented, but witnessing it in person has nevertheless been noteworthy for Boras and Weinke.

                                “The thing that’s really impressed me with Jared has just been his commitment to the classroom and his commitment to learn,” Boras said. “He’s been in there early for every meeting — I don’t mean five-minutes early. The meeting is supposed to start at 8:30, he’s trying to roll in and he’s always working.”

                                “The good thing about Jared is that he’s a cerebral kid,” Weinke said. “He’s very smart. He can absorb the information. In our research and our due diligence on...
                                -05-27-2016, 01:54 PM
                              Working...
                              X