X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: Signs point strongly to Jared Goff as the first pick

Signs point strongly to Jared Goff as the first pick
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2016, 10:00 PM EDT

Immediately after the Rams traded up from No. 15 to No. 1 in the draft, it seemed that the Rams would select quarterback Carson Wentz. Ultimately, conflicting reports emerged regarding whether the Rams would take Wentz or quarterback Jared Goff — and that’s perhaps exactly what the Rams wanted.

As time has passed, a very strong sense has emerged that Goff will indeed be the selection. The decision of the Eagles, who reportedly covet Wentz not Goff, to move to No. 2 suggests strongly that the Eagles know that Goff will be the pick in Los Angeles. Perhaps the only thing that would keep that from happening at this point would be Goff figuratively (or literally) being hit by a bus between now and Thursday night.

The clearest sign that Goff will be the guy comes from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, who reported after the trade that the Rams were “targeting” Wentz. Farmer has since done a 180.

“Although I first thought the Rams’ pick was Carson Wentz, I believe I misread the signs,” Farmer said Sunday on Twitter. “Mark me down for Jared Goff.”

Mark me down for Goff, too. If Farmer now believes it, that’s good enough for me.

I believe it will be Goff.

That said, I wouldn't bet my house on it.

I remember last year, when pretty much nobody had the Rams selecting Gurley at No. 10. That told me that, despite all the people out there speculating and reporting, it is possible for a team to keep its plans under wraps.

If there is a "smokescreen," the question one must ask is... why? The only logical reason I can think of is to get the Eagles zoned in on Wentz and then, at the last minute, put the word out that the Rams have changed their mind and will take Wentz unless the Eagles make an offer.

Likely? No.

Possible. Yes.

All that said...

Yeah... I think its Goff.

Comment

Could we see this, since the Eagles covet Wentz not Goff per this report. The Rams draft Wentz, the Eagles draft Goff, then they swap players and the Rams get another draft pick. Anything can happen, still find it hard to believe the Rams would tell the Eagles who they are taking. I'm good with either but still prefer Goff.

Comment

Wentz is superior in every measurable aspect. The MAJORITY of analysts favor Wentz. If the Rams think they know better, I believe it will end up rivaling the Lawrence Phillips pick as the dumbest first round selection in franchise history.
        "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
          Wentz is superior in every measurable aspect. The MAJORITY of analysts favor Wentz. If the Rams think they know better, I believe it will end up rivaling the Lawrence Phillips pick as the dumbest first round selection in franchise history.
          LOL... okay. I guess that if one of them was from Michigan or Virginia Tech, I might have a similarly strong opinion.

The question is... if the Rams go with Goff, will you be able to cheer for him?

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post

LOL... okay. I guess that if one of them was from Michigan or Virginia Tech, I might have a similarly strong opinion
            What gives with the Michigan, Virginia Tech adoration? I thought you went to The U.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
              What gives with the Michigan, Virginia Tech adoration? I thought you went to The U.
              Looks like it was done to coincide with his last post, which referenced both Michigan and West Virginia. Talk about going the extra mile to make a point!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Go Rams!
                I guess an explanation is in order...

I went to Tufts University for my undergrad degree. They (shockingly!) don't have any prospects in this draft.

I went to the University of Miami School of Law for my professional degree. While I generally root for them, I never became a diehard.

My daughter is a Freshman at VT, and my son will be starting at Michigan next Fall.

P.S. To further complicate things, my kids are also half-Gator on their mother's side.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

Looks like it was done to coincide with his last post, which referenced both Michigan and West Virginia. Talk about going the extra mile to make a point!
                  Not exactly (see post above)...

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                    Did you just confuse Virginia Tech and West Virginia?

You're dead to me, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

You're dead to me, Mike.
                      Wow... I missed that. Me too (for the opposite reason, I'd surmise).

Comment

While I have enjoyed my "Av-atar" (see what I did there?), I feel obligated to go back to my previous school logo to better remind Mike of the egregious mistake he made this day.

Comment

While I have enjoyed my "Av-atar" (see what I did there?), I feel obligated to go back to my previous school logo to better remind Mike of the egregious mistake he made this day.
                          Perhaps we can find some common ground in hatred of Ohio State?

Comment

You're dead to me, Mike.

I screwed the pooch on that response, didn't I? Can I get a another chance Nick?

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                              Wow... I missed that. Me too (for the opposite reason, I'd surmise).
                              You're not the only one who missed it..........

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                                Rams to meet with both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz
                                by Nick
                                Rams to meet with both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz
                                Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2016, 9:00 AM EDT

The Rams are continuing to signal publicly that they remain undecided about who will become the franchise quarterback in Los Angeles.

Days after trading up to the first overall pick in next week’s draft, the Rams have scheduled meetings with both Cal quarterback Jared Goff and North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the team is currently leaning toward Goff but wants time to consider both quarterbacks. Other reports have indicated that the Rams are leaning toward Wentz.

Some think the Rams knew who they were going to take before they made the trade with the Titans but are just choosing to keep things close to the vest. Even if that’s the case, however, it doesn’t hurt to take a meeting with both quarterbacks and learn a little more about the player they’re not going to take.

With the draft now just 11 days away, the suspense won’t last much longer. We’ll see how long the Rams can manage to keep a lid on the identity of their pick.
                                -04-17-2016, 06:44 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Wentz has advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than Goff
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Carson Wentz has one simple advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than No. 1 pick Jared Goff
                                Cork Gaines Sep. 20, 2016, 12:26 PM

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images; Jae Hong/AP

After the Philadelphia Eagles' win on Monday night, they are now 2-0 with Carson Wentz. As a result, questions are already being raised about whether the Los Angeles Rams made a mistake passing on Wentz to draft Jared Goff with the first pick in the draft.

However, those questions may not be fair to Goff simply because Wentz appears to have one big advantage working in his favor: he was drafted by a team that was in a better position to help a young quarterback transition to the NFL.

Before the draft, the general consensus on the two quarterbacks was that Wentz had a slight advantage in ability but that Goff had a huge advantage in being better prepared for the NFL. Goff was coming from Cal and out of the Pac-12 Conference. Meanwhile, Wentz played in the FCS (college football's second division) at North Dakota State. Wentz' learning curve was supposed to be much steeper.

And yet, after two weeks, Wentz has not only grabbed the starting job with the Eagles much sooner than anticipated, but he already looks like a polished NFL quarterback. Meanwhile, Goff has yet to play and didn't even dress for Week 1.

Is Wentz just the better quarterback? It is possible, but it is still too early to know with any certainty. But his early success may be attributable to having a coaching staff that has a lot more experience working with quarterbacks.

Every quarterback has three important coaches that impact their play, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, and the quarterbacks coach. Check out the differences in their resumes, according to Chris Wesseling of Around the NFL:
                                Twitter/ChrisWesseling

Now, this is not a complete picture. Weinke is actually in his second year as a coach and was an NFL quarterback for seven seasons. He also helped develop quarterbacks at the IMG Academy in Florida.

But still, it appears, on the surface at least, that Wentz was put into a situation where it would be easier for a young QB to transition to the NFL. All three of Wentz's coaches have served as both offensive coordinators and as quarterbacks coaches. All three of Goff's coaches have combined for less than two seasons of coaching quarterbacks.

None of this means that Goff won't eventually be a star quarterback and it doesn't mean that the Rams whiffed on the pick. But it could explain why Wentz has had more success right out of the gate....
                                -09-21-2016, 04:43 PM
                              • Hangtime
                                Why is Everyone Certain it's Goff?
                                by Hangtime
                                Did someone leak something I don't know about? Did the Eagles move up to #2 seal the deal as Goff going #1? One thing is sure: Snisher is a smoke blower expert, so I don't get why everyone thinks the Rams are locked in on small handed, immobile Goff?

The only reason I think it's likey the Rasm will select Goff is because Snisher is making the pick, the two-headed clown show that has the Rams piling up non-winning season after non-winning season. Pick Wentz! Save the franchise!
                                -04-27-2016, 05:02 PM
                              • Nick
                                Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz: Who should Rams take with No. 1 draft pick?
                                by Nick
                                Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz: Who should Rams take with No. 1 draft pick?
                                Published: April 15, 2016 at 04:05 p.m. Updated: April 15, 2016 at 04:54 p.m.
                                NFL.com

On Thursday, the Los Angeles Rams sent shockwaves through the NFL by jumping from No. 15 in this month's draft all the way up to No. 1. Of course, this move didn't come without a price: The Rams sent the Titans two first-round picks, two second-rounders and two third-rounders over the next two drafts (in exchange for No. 1, No. 113 and No. 177 in this month's event). But the trade puts the Rams in position to (presumably) draft a quarterback to build around as the franchise returns to L.A.

It appears that two signal callers have separated themselves from the pack: Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz. Saturday night at 8 p.m. ET, NFL Network will break down the biggest question heading into the 2016 draft with a special program, "Path to the Draft: Goff or Wentz?" But in the meantime, what do you think? Which of these two QBs should the Rams select at No. 1 overall?

Charley Casserly
                                Writer | NFL.com
                                Carson Wentz has more long-term promise, but Jared Goff is the guy for L.A. in 2016

I like Carson Wentz over Jared Goff long term, but Goff is a better fit right now. And Los Angeles could indeed be a QB away from being a playoff team -- the Rams have a good defense and a Pro Bowl RB in Todd Gurley. Goff has very good pocket presence -- he sees things quickly and has a quick release. But he does not have a top arm.

To be frank, though, I don't think either one of these QBs is an elite prospect.

Daniel Jeremiah
                                Writer | NFL.com
                                Wentz is the superior prospect -- in fact, he's better than Blake Bortles was coming out of UCF

They should take Carson Wentz. He's bigger, more athletic, has a stronger arm and gained experience in an NFL system while at North Dakota State. He's proven to play his best in big moments, and he's done nothing but win his entire athletic career.

Wentz's toughness, competitiveness and football intelligence are off the charts. He's a better player than Blake Bortles was coming out of Central Florida.

Gil Brandt
                                Writer | NFL.com
                                I have Wentz rated slightly higher, but I think Goff is a better fit in Los Angeles

In my rankings -- which will be released on NFL.com on Monday -- I have Carson Wentz one spot ahead of Jared Goff. But, if I were the Rams, I would go with Goff because of the fact the he was raised in California. He would be much more familiar with the difficulty of movement in Los Angeles, mainly traffic and the pace of living. Goff would have an easier time adapting to the high-intensity way of life in the L.A. area. Moving to California would be a culture shock for anybody who has lived their entire life in North Dakota.

Lance Zierlein
                                Writer |...
                                -04-16-2016, 12:21 PM
                              • renrawtruk
                                Rams/Eagles Goff/Wentz.
                                by renrawtruk
                                Ok, Rams are ballin, probably safe to say Rams and Eagles are the two best teams in the NFC. I think we are going to have a great showdown on Dec. 10th in the Collesium, perhaps for home field advantage.

But if any of you watched the Eagles play tonight on MNF, Carson Wentz is in a league of his own. He is a beast. His vertical throws are just dialed in. He escapes pressure, and is an accurate gunslinger.

Of course time will tell if he throws picks at crucial times, or if Goff somehow grows into the overall better player, wins more Super bowls, etc... But we have to compare at times.

I just don't see what our scouts saw in Goff that would make you pick the skinny kid from the typical college spread "air raid" offense vs. a tough athletic kid with a cannon who ran an NFL style offense.

Small college? Ok, I guess that was it.

I'm not complaining. I like our guy. I hope he and McVay become the next system like Billichick and Brady for 10 years.

But just sheer talent wise, Wentz is a freak....
                                -10-23-2017, 10:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X