• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goff Impressing Coaches with Work Ethic, Showing Early Progress

Goff Impressing Coaches with Work Ethic, Showing Early Progress
    Posted May 25, 2016
    Myles Simmons
    Rams Insider

With the Rams beginning OTAs next week, No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff will be on the field squaring off against a defense for the first time in practice. Because players are not in pads, the organized team activities are essentially a period of continued learning. And the coaches who work closely with Los Angeles’ newest quarterback — offensive coordinator Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke — are looking forward to seeing Goff progress on the field.

When the organization made the decision to trade for the first pick, it was clear there was a general consensus one quarterback appeared a cut above the rest. According to Weinke, Goff’s film was simply outstanding.

“The guy is just a natural passer of the football. You can tell he’s a natural athlete,” the QB coach said. “He was probably the smoothest guy that I’ve evaluated in a long time, as it relates to pocket awareness and pocket presence.

“Time after time, you’ve seen him make big plays,” Weinke continued. “And the guy made some ‘wow’ throws that not a lot of college guys have made — or that I’ve ever seen on film. You really put all those variables together, and he was a guy who kind of rose to the top and we felt like would be a good fit here in Los Angeles.”

But it wasn’t just about the throws. The fact that Goff helped bring Cal from an 11-loss team his freshman year to winning the program’s first bowl game since 2008 speaks volumes about his leadership ability.

“Collectively, you look at his body of work and what he did as a young kid going into Cal … not only physically, but mentally what he was able to accomplish, and truly be the leader of that football team,” Weinke said, adding to “go from 1-11 to going to a bowl game and winning is important, as it relates to the quarterback position and leadership ability.”

According to Boras, Goff has shown those qualities even in the short time he’s been a Ram.

“Watching him with the other rookies and just the leadership, and getting those guys out involved — it’s all the things that you’d hope for, and you heard,” Boras said. “But now to see it in person, it’s truly exciting.”

Goff’s strong work ethic has been well documented, but witnessing it in person has nevertheless been noteworthy for Boras and Weinke.

“The thing that’s really impressed me with Jared has just been his commitment to the classroom and his commitment to learn,” Boras said. “He’s been in there early for every meeting — I don’t mean five-minutes early. The meeting is supposed to start at 8:30, he’s trying to roll in and he’s always working.”

“The good thing about Jared is that he’s a cerebral kid,” Weinke said. “He’s very smart. He can absorb the information. In our research and our due diligence on him, we found that out — that this guy can take the information from the classroom and apply it out on the field. And that was important to us.”

Those factors have made the coaches comfortable with giving the rookie QB plenty to learn in the nascent stage of his career.

“We’re throwing a lot at him — probably more than you would throw to most guys,” Boras said. “We’re going to throw a lot at him right now, see what sticks, instead of just spoon feeding it along. Now, obviously, we want him to have success and feel comfortable, but we need to challenge.

“We need to raise our level of expectations, not just for him but for this entire offense. So we’re trying to put as much not only on Jared, but with all of these guys, as possible,” Boras continued. “So what maybe we would’ve taken the mid-OTAs to get to, we’re trying to get to now. And the more you hear anything — repetition is the mother of all learning. So the more that we throw and the more chances they have to hear it, the better it has to stick.”

Going along with that, Goff has shown a proclivity for asking relevant questions whenever he needs clarification. It’s a behavior the coaching staff has encouraged since his arrival.

“I think it’s important that you lay the foundation on Day 1 with a young quarterback — understand that there are no dumb questions,” Weinke said. “Understand that the more questions you ask, the better we’re going to feel. Don’t ever assume that you know the answer.

“And so [Goff’s] done an outstanding job of, throughout the course of meetings, whether it’s with coach Boras or myself, pausing and saying, ‘Wait, I don’t understand that. Explain that to me better,’” Weinke continued. “We’re excited about that. That means he’s not afraid to ask questions. And then when we do teach him something, he is absorbing it and understands it.”

Despite the staff’s ability to put a lot on Goff’s plate, there are ways within the scheme where they’ll look to smooth the rookie’s transition to the NFL — particularly with pass protection. Boras identified the understanding of pass-protection concepts as the biggest hurdle first-year QBs often face.

“The pass concepts don’t vary very much from college to the NFL — or really from one team in the NFL to another. It’s really the protections and knowing what your problems are,” Boras said. “If we can make the run game simple for them, if we can simplify protections — and by simplify, it doesn’t mean max protect necessarily. But just letting him know where his problems are, and if you have a problem, how do you fix it? And then once he gets accustomed to that, he’ll have the opportunity to go be himself and spin the ball like we know he’s capable of doing.”

Plus, the Rams have the reigning AP Offensive Rookie of the Year in Todd Gurley, whose ability to run the football inherently takes pressure off the quarterback and the passing game.

“That’s what coach Fisher told him when he first got here, and when we really first met Jared was, ‘You know who our running back is?’” Boras said. “And that’s what we can’t forget. His best friend is going to be turning around and handing it to Todd. And then whey they stack the box and try to take Todd away, we need to be able to take advantage of it through the air.”

And so as the Rams begin their OTA sessions next week, both Boras and Weinke are highly encouraged by the prospect of Goff learning and growing in his new offensive system.

“There’s bumps along the road, but he’s understanding the process,” Boras said. “And we’re just trying to make sure we’re building the foundation that will allow him to be successful on Sundays in the near future.”

“He’s, really, exactly what you’re looking for,” Weinke said. “Great clay to mold, and we’re excited about what he brings to this football team.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    Goff Learning From Mistakes, Impressing Teammates
    by Nick
    Goff Learning From Mistakes, Impressing Teammates
    Posted 22 hours ago
    Myles Simmons
    Rams Insider
    @MylesASimmons

There’s a learning process for each rookie as he makes his way to the NFL, no matter if you’re the No. 1 overall pick or a college free agent.

By all accounts, quarterback Jared Goff has made substantial progress on that front from the time he was drafted to the Rams’ second OTA practice on Wednesday afternoon.

“He’s done a great job,” head coach Jeff Fisher said after the session. “There’s a lot involved and it takes time. But he’s way ahead of where he was even a week ago. And that’s only going to get better as we move through the next couple weeks.”

“I feel like every day I come out here, I get a little bit better — a little bit better every day. I learn a little bit more,” Goff said. “It’s gone really well so far.”

As Fisher’s explained, the Rams go through three playbook-installation processes prior to the season — in Phases I and II, in Phase III with OTAs, and then once again in training camp. Given Goff arrived after the first installation process had already begun, he had plenty to catch up on.

Offensive coordinator Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke have mentioned how they’re giving Goff a lot to process, and he’s handled everything well. At this point, the quarterback said he’s feeling pretty far along with the playbook and hasn’t been overwhelmed at all.

“I wouldn’t know any other way, I guess,” Goff said. “I’m picking it up at a pretty good pace, I think, and feel really good as far as how fast I pick it up. And I’m able to apply most of it out here. Again, there’s mistakes, but that happens. I’m young and learning. So when there is a mistake, just learn from it, and try not to let it happen again.”

Goff’s attitude toward mistakes makes sense. After all, he did just complete his second practice with an opposing NFL defense.

“I think right now in my second OTA in my rookie year, mistakes aren’t the worst thing in the world,” Goff said. “Coach Weinke has been great, coach Boras has been great. And I’m getting a lot of support for those guys.”

But what the top pick has not been doing is participating in team drills with the starting offense. According to Fisher, that will come in due time — almost surely before the end of OTAs.

“He’s going to get more and more reps,” the head coach said. “There may be a day where he gets all the No. 1 reps before we’re done with camp. And that certainly doesn’t mean to say he’s won a job. But it means he’s developing in the offense and you want to give him that opportunity.

“It’s different when you’re under center and you’re working with the starting tight ends and the starting receivers,” Fisher continued, “as opposed to an undrafted receiver who doesn’t have the complete understanding of the offense and...
    -06-02-2016, 07:22 PM
  • Nick
    LaFleur Impressed with Goff's Accuracy, Leadership
    by Nick
    LaFleur Impressed with Goff's Accuracy, Leadership
    Posted 12 hours ago
    Myles Simmons
    Rams Insider
    @MylesASimmons

This weekend’s practices are for the rookies and tryout players, but there was one observing veteran who made an impression.

A year ago quarterback Jared Goff was participating in rookie minicamp. Today he stood outside the team’s weight room during the morning session, watching all that was happening on the field.

It was a sign of leadership that Goff’s coaches and newest teammates certainly noticed.

“I think that encourages those guys that are coming in,” offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said. “I love it, that he’s around. I don’t think, if you go around the league, you’re going to find too many teams where the starting quarterback is sitting there watching these rookies in their rookie minicamp. I know he’s excited about some of the pieces we’ve added. I think it’s great for us, as an organization.”

“This isn’t the first time I’ve seen Jared around,” wide receiver Cooper Kupp said. “I worked out with him in during this draft process. And it was very clear the tenacity he has, and the desire he has to win. And that’s going to show. It just so happens that there’s people here to see it, but that’s something that’s going to be going on when there’s no cameras here.”

But more than that, LaFleur said he’s been impressed with how quickly Goff has picked up the new scheme since the start of the offseason program.

“Goff has been awesome, man,” LaFleur said. “When you get a new guy in an offense, there is a transition period with that. But he’s doing a nice job of picking it up at a surprisingly quick pace.”

After spending the last two years as Atlanta’s quarterbacks coach, LaFleur noted there is an adjustment from working with a seasoned veteran like Matt Ryan to a second-year QB in Goff. But Goff’s attitude in striving to improve has made it that much easier.

“I think anytime you’re dealing with a young quarterback, you never assume anything,” LaFleur said. “What’s been so much fun for me is, he’s a sponge and he is soaking up everything that you tell him. It’s been a joy to work with him thus far. Hopefully we keep chopping wood and get a little better every day.”

And on the field, Goff has apparently excelled from the voluntary veteran minicamp through the on-field Phase II workouts.

“I’ll be honest with you — I think he’s a little more accurate than I anticipated. That got me excited,” LaFleur said. “Obviously, he’s got a big arm. Until you work with a guy, you don’t really know. Obviously I studied him coming out in the draft, and I knew he had some of the characteristics that you look for. He is a natural thrower. He’s tough and he’s throwing the ball with surprisingly, really good accuracy.”

It’s those qualities that have rookies like Kupp excited to get...
    -05-13-2017, 06:21 AM
  • Rambos
    Jared Goff will be Rams' franchise quarterback -- in time
    by Rambos
    • Dan Graziano

IRVINE, Calif. -- After every play Jared Goff runs in Los Angeles Rams practice -- good or bad, pass or run -- someone goes up and talks to him. Sometimes it’s offensive coordinator Rob Boras. Sometimes it’s quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke. But after literally every single snap Goff took in practice Tuesday, a coach spoke with him.
    “We want to make sure that he’s seeing what we’re seeing and make sure he’s looking at the right things,” Weinke said. “So yeah, after every single play, that’s part of the learning curve -- make sure you’re seeing what you’re supposed to see.”

Jared Goff is learning several new responsibilities in the Rams' offense. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY SportsYou can’t watch Goff practice without being impressed. He looks great. His footwork, whether it’s dropping back from under center or from the shotgun sets he ran exclusively in college, is sound. His arm strength is unquestionable. He’s a stellar athlete built for the position at 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds. You can see why the Rams traded up to draft him No. 1 overall.
    But after every single play, when you see how much teaching Goff’s coaches are doing, you also understand how far he has to go.
    “I’m asked all the time, ‘Is he going to start the opener?’ I don’t know,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “We drafted him. We traded up to draft him. He’s going to be our franchise quarterback. When he gets under center full-time, I don’t know when that is. And I’m not going to rush him to do it.”

So what does Goff, who’s still taking second-team reps while incumbent Case Keenum takes the first-team reps, have to show the coaches to convince them he’s ready?
    “We are looking for him to continue to command the huddle -- which he’s doing a hell of a job [at], so continue to command the huddle,” Weinke said. “Continue to make good decisions in the passing game and collectively understand all of our checks in the run game.”

Not as simple as it sounds. Goff is working to master the protection schemes for which he didn’t have responsibility in college at Cal but does with the Rams. He’s working to learn the terminology of an offense that’s trying to fuse what Adam Gase ran in Denver and Chicago (passing game coordinator Mike Groh worked under Gase in Chicago) with the West Coast principles in which Boras was trained.

“That’s going to be the biggest thing for him coming from his offense -- coming up to the line of scrimmage with multiple things he’s responsible for,” Weinke said. “He hasn’t called a play in the huddle for three years, because [Cal’s] offense is called from the sideline. The growth in his ability to be able to call a play with confidence from OTAs to now is huge. And now, it’s his ability to understand our protections, make the adjustments and then, with time, he’s going to have a better understanding of where to throw...
    -08-03-2016, 11:24 AM
  • RockinRam
    California Cool - By Michael Silver Jan.19, 2019
    by RockinRam
    EDIT: This was written by Michael Silver on January 29th, not the 19th. Sorry for the confusion.

Jared Goff's football career has been a roller-coaster ride, but the 24-year-old Rams quarterback offsets all highs and lows with an unwavering chill.

LOS ANGELES --The mood was tense. The stakes were enormous. The din was deafening -- and that was just in the Los Angeles Rams' huddle.

Trailing 13-0 early in the second quarter of the NFC Championship Game in New Orleans two Sundays ago, his team rattled by a cacophonous Superdome crowd he'd later describe as "the loudest thing I'll ever experience ... disorienting ... dizzying," 24-year-old quarterback Jared Goff finally snapped. Yet it wasn't the relentless roar of the 73,028 fans that triggered the young passer; rather, it was the well-intentioned intervention of some of the equally besieged men in his midst.

"He took control in a way that I'd never seen before," veteran tackle Andrew Whitworth recalled last Thursday. "It was crazy loud, and a bunch of us kept trying to chime in and give input, and he just said, 'Hey! Everybody shut up. I'll get you guys into the right places. This is my show. I've got it.' First time I've ever heard him do that ... and you know what? Everybody listened."

Said guard Rodger Saffold: "He said it with some bass in his voice. That was pretty cool. It was like, OK, Jared -- I see you. The noise was insane, but the fact that he was able to settle us down, show his leadership and lead us to victory shows you how much he's grown these last three years. He had so much poise -- and that's the biggest thing you need to know about Jared Goff: He has poise, win or lose."

After spurring the Rams to a 26-23, overtime victory over the Saints, Goff charged onto the field and made some noise of his own. As he recalled last Wednesday during an interview at his home near Calabasas, California, that will air on NFL Network's "GameDay Morning" on Super Sunday, "As soon as we got a few points on the board, it started to get a little more quiet. The more we'd score, the more quiet it'd get. You know, after a big play, it'd be dead silent. And when Greg (Zuerlein) hit that (game-winning, 57-yard) field goal, all you could hear was us screaming."

Now, Goff and the Rams have a chance to make some legacy-defining noise in Atlanta, where on Sunday they'll face living legend Tom Brady and the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The matchup between a pair of quarterbacks raised in Northern California a generation apart is not one Goff will take lightly; he called the opportunity to compete against the 41-year-old Brady, who has been to eight previous Super Bowls and won five, "an honor."

That said, he is highly unlikely to get overwhelmed by the enormity...
    -01-29-2019, 03:17 PM
  • Nick
    Goff Looking Comfortable, Confident in New Offense
    by Nick
    Goff Looking Comfortable, Confident in New Offense
    Posted 11 hours ago
    Myles Simmons
    Rams Insider

The Rams made a number of organizational moves during the offseason to help develop young quarterback Jared Goff, from hiring Sean McVay as head coach to signing free agent left tackle Andrew Whitworth. And with the club’s offseason program coming to an end this week, Goff has shown signs that he can take a significant step forward in his second pro season.

Both coaches and players have extolled Goff for his leadership off the field, and the quarterback appears to be more comfortable and confident during practice.

“I think a lot of that has to do with the guys around me,” Goff said Tuesday. “I think we’ve done a good job offensively going from the install to on the field and being effective with it. I think that goes back to the coaches as well. Their ability to install and their ability to teach and coach us has been tremendous. It’s been a lot of fun learning with them and continuing to improve myself and the team as a whole.”

The ease of installing the playbook has been a common refrain from members of Los Angeles’ offense since McVay’s arrival. Players have said it comes from the way the coaches have been so detail oriented in their instruction and focus on learning day-by-day.

“I’ve enjoyed every day coming out here and learning with them,” Goff said. “All the way back from when we started meeting with them to now — it’s been awesome. I’ve had a really good time learning it. I think I’ve picked it up at a pretty good pace. I like where we’re at right now. Obviously, a lot of stuff to improve on, especially from today. But again, I like where we’re at.”

From offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur’s vantage point, Goff has done well in making daily strides throughout the offseason program.

“That’s been the biggest thing with him, is just get a little bit better each day, become a little more consistent on a daily basis,” LaFleur said.

“I think when you look at trying to find your identity and what you kind of want to hang your hat on within the framework of our offense, I think he’s picked some of those things up well,” McVay said. “Again, like we always talk about, it’s going to be something where we want to do a good job as coaches figuring out our players and then we’ll adjust the system accordingly.”

That’s particularly important for a signal-caller in McVay’s system, which the head coach often says is set up to make the quarterback’s job as easy as possible. To that end, McVay said Goff will have input into the way the offense functions just like any other player.

“If there’s something that he feels like is going to make it an easier way for all of the players to understand and call a concept, that’s something that we’re certainly flexible with,” McVay said. “We try to make sure that as coaches we’re...
    -06-15-2017, 05:33 AM
Working...
X