• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Rams upset team won't wear classic blue and yellow uniforms

Former Rams upset team won't wear classic blue and yellow uniforms

8:55 AM PT

Arash Markazi ESPN Senior Writer

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Rams were back at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Thursday night for their first event at their old (and new) home since returning in January. It was a day many former Rams players thought they would never see, but there is still one lingering issue.

During Thursday’s event where fans mingled with current and former players on the field and toured the Coliseum, all of the former players and 99 percent of the fans wore the Rams’ classic blue and yellow uniforms they wore when the team last played in Los Angeles. When the Rams take the field at the Coliseum this season, however, they will play in the Millennium Blue and New Century Gold uniforms they wore in St. Louis for the majority of the season. Those uniforms and colors remain the one problem many former players and fans have with the team’s return.

Rams greats Fred Dryer, left, and David Hill take a photo with a fan at an event welcoming the team back to Los Angeles and Memorial Coliseum. Arash Markazi/ESPN.com

“I’ll never forget when I saw the Rams come out of the Coliseum tunnel for the first time in those beautiful gold and yellow uniforms with those Rams horns,” said Fred Dryer, who was a defensive end for the Rams from 1972 to 1981 before becoming an actor (most notably starring in the television series "Hunter"). “If you look at the Rams horns right now, they’re a disgrace. They’re separated, they’re stupid, and they don’t make any sense. They should join in the middle.”

The Rams will wear their classic blue and yellow uniforms twice next season, the maximum the league allows for alternate throwback uniforms, but the team is working with the league to expand that number. Teams are required by the league to submit requests to change uniforms between January and March and then must wait two years to implement those changes. The team does not plan on making any significant uniform changes until moving into their new stadium in Inglewood in 2019.

“I understand they can’t make a change for another year or two, but they don’t have to wear that uniform, they can choose to wear anything they want,” Dryer said. “Those Rams horns are known globally and for them to *******ize it like this by putting these two stripes is stupid. They should fix those horns because right now, it’s bull----."

Dryer’s sentiment was shared by many of the former players and fans wearing blue and yellow shirts and hats and throwback uniforms at the Coliseum.

“It’s the best uniform,” former Rams running back Eric Dickerson said as he walked around the field with his blue and yellow No. 29 jersey. “I think the Rams know the importance of these uniforms and colors, but everything has to go through the league and with the league it’s always about the money. I hope they can go back to wearing these uniforms and these colors because it’s synonymous with the Los Angeles Rams.”

No one has been asked about the uniforms more than Kevin Demoff, the executive vice president of football operations and chief operating officer for the Rams. It’s usually the second thing out of the mouths of former players and fans after welcoming the team back to Los Angeles.

“The blue and yellow uniforms are our throwback alternate jerseys and we can wear them twice and we will wear them twice,” Demoff said. “We’re working on new uniforms to open up the new Inglewood stadium in 2019. We’re going to figure out a program in the interim to make our fans happy but also build for the future in Inglewood. I know it’s important to our fans. But I know it’s more important to have the team back and the jerseys are next, but it’s great to see the players wearing those colors.”

While the Rams won’t wear their classic blue and yellow uniforms much next season and won’t completely change their uniforms until 2019, most of the players and fans mingling on the field at the Coliseum Thursday night could deal with that now that their team is back in Los Angeles.

“I only think that there’s one good uniform and that’s the one I played in,” former Rams offensive tackle Jackie Slater said. “I’m hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that they go back to those uniforms as quickly as possible. That’s the one that everybody in Southern California identifies with and it would be fantastic if they did that, but it’s just good to have them back home where they belong.”

Who was it here in the Clan that pointed out in another uniform thread that THE RAMS A L R E A D Y HAVE THE CORRECT UNIFORM, i.e., colors, design. The right "throwback" that shouldn't need another approval from the league. RFRH? RFTID?

I really thought it was a valid, legitimate argument in favor of the Rams as far as the right uniform goes. --

Comment

I too like the colors that the RAMS had through 1999. I also like the classic look of the blue on white. But I also know that the NFL has rules about changing uniforms.

I also know that the NFL only has rules to make things turn out the way they want, and COMPLETELY IGNORE them when it suits their fancy. It wouldn't surprise me if they break one more rule with this move to LA and have the RAMS come running out of the tunnel with the yellow and blue colors all year. I would be disappointed in their continued lack of integrity, but I would prefer watching the RAMS play in those colors.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by RealRam View Post
        Who was it here in the Clan that pointed out in another uniform thread that THE RAMS A L R E A D Y HAVE THE CORRECT UNIFORM, i.e., colors, design. The right "throwback" that shouldn't need another approval from the league. RFRH? RFTID?

I really thought it was a valid, legitimate argument in favor of the Rams as far as the right uniform goes. --
        It was me. ...and I'm still going to be pissed if they come out of that tunnel wearing the current colors. Apparently, so are the past legends of the franchise and I'd say about 80,000 fans in the stands, which, BTW, will nearly all be wearing blue and yellow or blue and white, while the Rams come out in dark blue and Georgia gold? One more time, the Rams will not be asking to wear NEW uniforms, and therefore do not violate any rule. They already HAVE the uniform and WEAR the uniform twice a year.

However, I'm hearing that the Rams are (finally) listening to the local fans and former players and have asked the NFL for permission to wear the "throwbacks" more than just two games. It has been done before (allowing the Whiners to wear their "throwbacks all year) and I'm hoping that the NFL and the Rams listen to the voice of reason and allow the Los Angeles Rams to wear the Los Angeles Rams colors. Even if it's just for the home games, they must go back to the LA colors. The NFL is not stupid, the opening home (preseason) game will be televised and they are going to make a BIG deal out of the "homecoming." I don't think it will play well or look good when they come out of the tunnel wearing a uniform that nobody in the stands will be wearing. We will be happier than all get out that the Rams are back, but we take the horns and the uniform of the Rams very seriously, and if you don't understand that, you haven't been a long-time fan. Fred Dryer also mentioned another point of the uniform (helmet) that has been buggin' me. The horns. They're becoming skinny little snail looking curly lines, and not horns. They were thicker and used to touch in the front center and that look is what they need to return to.

Ok, uniform rant over.... I'm putting on my blue and yellow jersey on August 13th and heading to the game, no matter what the team wears.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

The way I see it is this:

The colors are navy blue, which was an original color, and gold, which is another original color. That's the way they were when everyone wanted the Rams to move - so they should stay that way.

LA could have had a different team and used the colors that Rams used to use - which, honestly, sounds like it would have made everyone happy.

Think about it for a minute: The Rams were gone. The team in St. Louis was NOT the same Rams team that was in LA. Different players, different coaches, different uniforms, different team. So, LA wanted the team so bad, they want to make it into a different team than what it is?

That tells me that you could have taken the Raiders, Cowboys, or even the *****, put them in LA, changed their colors to blue and yellow, and no one would have complained.

Are you guys SURE you really wanted the Rams, because it really sounds like you want a totally different team.
          temp_4394_1467243487543_20
          RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFanSam View Post
            Are you guys SURE you really wanted the Rams, because it really sounds like you want a totally different team.
            I agree with Jackie Slater on this when it comes to the bottom line, regardless of what uniform they play in:

Originally posted by Jackie Slater
            “That’s the one that everybody in Southern California identifies with and it would be fantastic if they did that, but it’s just good to have them back home where they belong.”

Comment

But Mike, I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

It's like going and buying a used car. You got exactly what you were looking at, but once you got it, you want to have a different model of car, a different color, a different body style, a different engine, and a convertible instead of a hardtop.

This isn't the Rams team that left after the 1994 season. It hasn't been for a long time. It's unrealistic to expect it to be the same.
              RAMS!

Comment

It's like going and buying a used car. You got exactly what you were looking at, but once you got it, you want to have a different model of car, a different color, a different body style, a different engine, and a convertible instead of a hardtop.

This isn't the Rams team that left after the 1994 season. It hasn't been for a long time. It's unrealistic to expect it to be the same.
                Others can speak to their feelings and attitudes here, but for me, what uniform the Rams wear in 2016 isn't a big issue. The big issue is that they're back in LA, where I personally think they belong. If the Rams are allowed to wear the blue and yellow all season, great, but if it's only for a few games, no problem for me.

Comment

I don't know Sam. The way the RAMS have been stinking it up (more than likely on purpose the last few years to have an excuse to move), they are just about an exact match to the 1994 RAMS. They may as well have the same colors as the 1994 RAMS.

gap

Comment

I'm sorry, but what? Your analogy makes no sense. Quite obviously this isn't the team from 1994. Nobody is expecting Jerome Bettis and Demarco Farr to come running from out of the tunnel.

Many fans, including myself, want to see the Rams return to thier most iconic and most beloved uniform combination. The royal blue and yellow look is regarded as one of the best uniforms in all of sports and it was the uniform we won our only Super Bowl in. Fans just want a return to that-the classic look.

Its really not like buying a car and not being satisfied with it. Its a lot more like buying a classic car and wanting to restore the original colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Fettmaster View Post
                      Its really not like buying a car and not being satisfied with it. Its a lot more like buying a classic car and wanting to restore the original colors.
                      Ah, but you forget the greatest advice ever given to someone restoring a classic car...

"You can't polish a turd".

And as long as the team has Fisher, as well as a mediocre record, it will always be that turd.
                      RAMS!

Comment

We've gone from a uniform discussion to St. Louis vs LA to Fisher sucks in 10 posts. Well done.

Comment

Whatever they do, they're going to have to do something. Since leaving home, they've moved to a place where image is everything; as can be seen by the remarks of these old former players and new fans. Makes sense that a reversion to the blue/yellow combo would be next. That should help in the process of washing away the past two decades.......well, except for the Super Bowl trophy.
                          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

It seems some of these guys forgot that the Rams played somewhere else the last 20 years or that had they stayed in Anaheim they probably would have changed uniforms at least once in those 20 years. I have a hard time getting worked up over the colors of a uniform. I'd rather have the Rams post a winning season.
                            :helmet:

Comment

The 1994 Rams <sucked and the Rams overall were on their way to being the worse team of the 1990's until 1999 happened.

:helmet:

Comment