Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully, they'll play a little football during the upcoming fashion season.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

If breaking the rules means getting an exception (which has happened in the past with other teams), then yes, that's a distinct possibility. Especially with Demoff saying they're working with the NFL on "other options".

Sam, will you be upset if the Rams are allowed to wear their throwbacks all year? Will it be "trashing" their history when they completely change the uniform in a few years? Do you really have to interject a purposeful swipe at the fans in LA? I just don't get all this animosity.

Funny how it's animosity when it disagree with you, but it's not animosity when you disagree with others.

Why all the animosity for staying with the current colors for a couple years? What harm will it do? I think it will help more than it will hurt. Let's face it, unless the RAMS all of a sudden start getting the better side of judgment calls, they aren't going to have a significant change in the win/loss column. They just haven't improved their offense enough to allow the defense the kind of rest they need to play efficient football. And if the win/loss record stays about the same, a change in uniforms in the future creates renewed excitement to keep the bandwagon fans from bailing on the team when they suck.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
        Funny how it's animosity when it disagree with you, but it's not animosity when you disagree with others.
        I think you make a valid point. There does seem to be some animosity over the uniform on both sides of the issue, but please, don't make the mistake of including me in that way of thinking. I have repeatedly said that what uniform they wear is no big deal to me. I'm happy to see them back in LA, with or without the yellow and blue. And for the record, I like the current color scheme. I just hate what Nike did to it.

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike
        I agree with Jackie Slater on this when it comes to the bottom line, regardless of what uniform they play in
        Originally posted by r8rh8rmike
        Others can speak to their feelings and attitudes here, but for me, what uniform the Rams wear in 2016 isn't a big issue. The big issue is that they're back in LA, where I personally think they belong. If the Rams are allowed to wear the blue and yellow all season, great, but if it's only for a few games, no problem for me.

Comment

I think you make a valid point. There does seem to be some animosity over the uniform on both sides of the issue, but please, don't make the mistake of including me in that way of thinking. I have repeatedly said that what uniform they wear is no big deal to me. I'm happy to see them back in LA, with or without the yellow and blue. And for the record, I like the current color scheme. I just hate what Nike did to it.

I stand (actually sit until I get my standup desk the Dr. requested) corrected. I wish others could be less critical of the STL faithful that are still following the RAMS, and see that their criticism of the current color scheme is just as (or more) antagonistic as those that think the colors should remain until the proper rules are followed.

gap

Comment

Here's a good breakdown of the options:

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
              Here's a good breakdown of the options:
              Guys, I'm sorry (not sorry), but the 5th option is far and away the smoothest look of the selection. I just don't get the gravitation towards the kiddie colors of royal blue and canary yellow. But that's just me.

In related news, did you hear the Rams have hired a new assistant coach?

We now have a fashion coach! Welcome to the Rams, Goach Gunn! Click image for larger version

Name:	gunn.png
Views:	4
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	797604

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post

I stand (actually sit until I get my standup desk the Dr. requested) corrected. I wish others could be less critical of the STL faithful that are still following the RAMS, and see that their criticism of the current color scheme is just as (or more) antagonistic as those that think the colors should remain until the proper rules are followed.

gap
                First of all Gap, I feel for you and the back issue (if that's the reason for the stand up desk), as I'm nearly in tears with a sciatic problem that is almost at times, intolerable.... Hope your situation improves.

But when you continue to say that those of us that want the change back to the old LA colors as a swipe at St Louis, or want it just to be antagonistic, it's simply not true. Just because we want to embrace the history of the team in the city they spent most of their time in, and have now returned, doesn't mean it's to erase or ignore what happened the past 20 years in St Louis. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with that and I don't know what else to say to convince you of that. ...maybe you just want a reason to hate on LA fans? I hope that's not the case.

As far as breaking the rules, ....I really don't get this one. If a rule is waived, or made exception to by the governing body, the rule is not being broken. ...I don't think the world, or the NFL is going to hell in a hand-basket because of a uniform change. As Mike and others have said; "we're just happy they're here." ...we just would like to see them in the old yellow and blue, or blue and white uni's to embrace LA, not to diss Stl.

I'm also like Mike in that I don't totally hate the current colors as much as I hate what Nike did to the uniform. (Just another reason I refuse to buy anything with a swoosh on it) The uniform as it was originally designed (by Reebok?) wasn't that bad when they wore the gold pants. But the blue on blue and white on white? ...awful in my opinion, and a bad idea to wear that blue on blue in the hot California sun.

If the NFL and the Rams can't come to a mutual agreement and are indeed forced to wear the current uniforms, it's not the end of the world. But I wouldn't bet on that happening.

I'm done with this topic for now. We can talk about this again in 2019 when they DO change the uniform and (hopefully) the logo.

...don't get me started on the "snail" logo......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                  Guys, I'm sorry (not sorry), but the 5th option is far and away the smoothest look of the selection. I just don't get the gravitation towards the kiddie colors of royal blue and canary yellow. But that's just me.

In related news, did you hear the Rams have hired a new assistant coach?

We now have a fashion coach! Welcome to the Rams, Goach Gunn!
                  I believe he's the fashion "advisor", not coach. And rumor has it, he's a close friend of Fisher, so the "cronyism" tag might also apply.

Comment

Sam, will you be upset if the Rams are allowed to wear their throwbacks all year? Will it be "trashing" their history when they completely change the uniform in a few years? Do you really have to interject a purposeful swipe at the fans in LA? I just don't get all this animosity.

What upsets me is the continuous trashing of twenty years of history in St. Louis by the management.

It seems like 99% of the people who are happy about the move to LA don't give a damn about the history of the Rams BEFORE they moved to LA, nor do they acknowledge the two decades of history in St. Louis.

Like I said before - when St. Louis got the team, they knew they had a team which had performed poorly, had uniforms that had decades of tradition, and I don't recall ANYONE screaming to change the uniforms because they looked like the ones worn in LA; in fact, I DO remember a LOT of people complaining about abandoning the traditional colors. In case you forgot, the navy and gold did not get a warm reception, but with 15 years of tradition, trashing that scheme immediately upon the return to LA is nothing more than a childish act.

Think about it for a moment - the few loyal fans in LA after the move to St. Louis - would they have seen an immediate uniform change, plus the trashing of Los Angeles as a hostile act? Since January, there have been several front office personnel making negative statements about the people and city of St. Louis - and in the process, pissing off a LOT of Rams fans to the point that they are questioning their reasons to be fans.

Instead of worrying about how fashionable they look, or getting photo ops with celebrities, the Rams should worry more about retaining the loyal fans they have, regardless of location, and building a truly competitive product on the field. If they wish to change their image, they should logically wait until the new stadium opens - that would be an event, not just a temporary appeasement to cause dissension within the fan base.

The Rams should realize what a fine line they are walking - they stand to lose hundreds of thousands of fans from OUTSIDE the LA area, and in return gain only bandwagon fans which will turn away after the first losing season or when the so-called "new fans" get tired of the newness. They are thinking short-term, and it will bite them in the ass. LA does have a large group of hard-core fans - but the vast majority of the people they are counting on to support the team will not be there in a few years. When that happens, are the true fans enough to carry the team? I doubt it - it wasn't enough in 1994, and it won't be in 2025.
                    temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                    RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFanSam View Post
                      What upsets me is the continuous trashing of twenty years of history in St. Louis by the management.

It seems like 99% of the people who are happy about the move to LA don't give a damn about the history of the Rams BEFORE they moved to LA, nor do they acknowledge the two decades of history in St. Louis.

Like I said before - when St. Louis got the team, they knew they had a team which had performed poorly, had uniforms that had decades of tradition, and I don't recall ANYONE screaming to change the uniforms because they looked like the ones worn in LA; in fact, I DO remember a LOT of people complaining about abandoning the traditional colors. In case you forgot, the navy and gold did not get a warm reception, but with 15 years of tradition, trashing that scheme immediately upon the return to LA is nothing more than a childish act.

Think about it for a moment - the few loyal fans in LA after the move to St. Louis - would they have seen an immediate uniform change, plus the trashing of Los Angeles as a hostile act? Since January, there have been several front office personnel making negative statements about the people and city of St. Louis - and in the process, pissing off a LOT of Rams fans to the point that they are questioning their reasons to be fans.

Instead of worrying about how fashionable they look, or getting photo ops with celebrities, the Rams should worry more about retaining the loyal fans they have, regardless of location, and building a truly competitive product on the field. If they wish to change their image, they should logically wait until the new stadium opens - that would be an event, not just a temporary appeasement to cause dissension within the fan base.

The Rams should realize what a fine line they are walking - they stand to lose hundreds of thousands of fans from OUTSIDE the LA area, and in return gain only bandwagon fans which will turn away after the first losing season or when the so-called "new fans" get tired of the newness. They are thinking short-term, and it will bite them in the ass. LA does have a large group of hard-core fans - but the vast majority of the people they are counting on to support the team will not be there in a few years. When that happens, are the true fans enough to carry the team? I doubt it - it wasn't enough in 1994, and it won't be in 2025.
                      Sam, you may be offended by not having some prescribed waiting period on any uniform changes or options, but that doesn't mean it's offensive for anyone else to want a uniform change this year. To insinuate that 99% of those happy about the move to LA don't give a damn about the Rams history in St. Louis, is a major stretch. You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

And I certainly don't think it's unreasonable for fans to want uniforms the Rams initiated, and wore for decades in LA, now that they are back in LA.

As far as fan support in Southern California, like the uniform issue. you're entitled to your opinion, not your own facts. We'll just have to see, but I think you'll be surprised. Hopefully, positively surprised.

Comment

Mike, you miss my point.

Think about all of the articles you have seen since January - have ANY of them shown St. Louis in a good light? I can't think of a single one. All I hear is how horrible it was, how glad they are to be back in LA (even though none of the people who say that were affiliated with the Rams when they were in LA), and what a horrible experience St. Louis was.

Well, then here's a simple answer. The Rams can return the trophy the SAINT LOUIS RAMS won to the city of SAINT LOUIS, because God knows the Rams don't want to be reminded of that horrible season, or the horrible sold - out crowds, or the horrible way everyone loved the team.

You may not be the typical LA fan - which is why you probably don't understand my point very well. The point I am TRYING to make is that you would have probably felt like you were slapped in the face if, at the first home game in St. Louis, the Rams came out on the field in red and white uniforms, with baby blue trim - reflecting the current city of St. Louis, and getting rid of all traces of Los Angeles. Even worse, how would you have liked hearing Jim Hannifan and Dick Vermiel talking about how ****ty the city of LA was, how glad they were to leave the dump, that the fans NEVER supported the team (which we both know is a lie), and how glad they were to be "back home" in the midwest where they belong?

Think about that - because that is EXACTLY what the team is doing to St. Louis right now.

And about the fans in LA - there is a group of hardcore fans - most of them have been fans for decades - but there is a much larger group that now call themselves fans, but couldn't tell you the name of more than one or two players, couldn't tell you when they moved to LA the first time, when they won the Super Bowl, or tell you who played on a broken leg. Those are the ones who will abandon the team when the "new" wears off or when the Rams have a losing record.

I assume you were around LA in the 85-94 years - and if you remember, attendance declined, some former "fans" jumped on the Raiders bandwagon, and others ignored the Rams when they were losing. That's why I say it happened before, and it will happen again.
                        RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFanSam View Post
                          Mike, you miss my point..
                          Sam, I get your point. You see any uniform change without a prescribed waiting period as an insult to the Rams time in St. Louis That's fine for you, but just because someone wants the yellow and blue uniforms back, doesn't make them St. Louis haters. I'm still trying to figure how you came up with 99% of those happy to have the Rams back in LA not caring about the history of the team in St. Louis. Because they want the yellow and blue uniforms? Again, that's a major reach.

And no, a uniform change in the Rams first year in St; Louis would not have bothered me to any great extent, unless the uniform was REALLY ugly. In 2000, when the uniform was completely changed, I knew it was an attempt to get away from the LA identity, and I accepted that as a normal progression for a franchise that had moved to a new city.

Fan attitudes in LA are vastly different in 2016 than they were in 1994, VASTLY different. Buts that's a completely different topic of discussion I don't think we want to re-visit.

Comment

Fan attitudes in LA are vastly different in 2016 than they were in 1994, VASTLY different. Buts that's a completely different topic of discussion I don't think we want to re-visit.
                            I don't have a problem with FAN attitudes - as I actually made some LA friends with the "LA/STL civil war" - I do have a problem with bandwagon fans, and those who aren't loyal.

You should have heard the discussion I had with our local FOX TV station today about the NFL games they plan to air - the owner is a Rams fan, and he is NOT happy with the so-called "fans" who dropped the team when they moved. He's from LA, and remembers the same thing when the Rams moved to St. Louis...about a year before he was offered a job in St. Louis. He's been telling me that the true hardcore fans - about 20,000 is what he guessed - never gave up on the Rams, but the vast majority eventually forgot about them, or changed teams, or gave up on the NFL completely. He also told me that when he was in LA last year, that 20,000 were still there - and some old "fans" returned to the Rams - he said he can't stand dealing with them because they act like they stood by the team, when they didn't. He went there last month - and he's pissed about the "thousands of ass monkeys" who are acting like they've been fans for years, but actually know nothing about the team - they are only doing it because it's the "flavor of the month", as he described it.

You, Eric, Robert, and a lot of others stayed with the team for 20 years. I respect that. But - the jerks who dropped the team in January when they said they were moving, and the ones in California who suddenly announced they have been Rams fans the whole time they were wearing Raiders hats and Seahawks jerseys - I don't have time for them. No one should have time for them, including the Rams.

But, on the bright side, it looks like we will most likely still have locally broadcast Rams games here in Springfield - even though St. Louis will get the Bears and Packers in lieu of the Rams.

But I still think they need to wait until they open the new stadium to change the uniform. Seriously - if you ordered a Zenvo ST1 (look it up), would you want the whole thing at once when they finish building it by hand in 3 years, or would you want the tires this week, the engine in 2017, the transmission in 2018, and the rest of the car in 2019?

Do the rebranding of the team all at once - not in pieces. Make it a HUGE presentation. That gives the fans from outside California a couple of seasons to deal with the fact they moved without ripping off our genitals in the process.

RAMS!

Comment

I appreciate you answering my original question Sam. Thanks.

Comment

From all the post I have read about how bad this team has been in St Louis from St Louis fans... why would anyone want to remember that? They where so bad in St Louis that's why no one supported them right? At least that's what was the reason given, so why would people in LA or anywhere else cherish that? I have a lot of St Louis gear and I'm not gonna toss that out. It's part of the history of the team and the part I lived through. But I will say this how often do the AZ Cards get remembered as the ST Cards? In five years from now the team will still be the LA Rams and combine the time they spent before they left Cali and have over 5 decades of LA Rams history. They will be in the new stadium and be wearing gear that reflects the LA Rams history. The St Louis Rams will be an after thought and it will only be because the great years, when Warner, Bruce, Holt and Marshal took them to the show. Other then that it will be over. When I think back on the Colts move or the Browns move I can't recall the order it all went down anymore, I just see the Browns, Ravens and Colts not the all the cities they moved from and the timeline.

The Los Angeles Rams are back in LA and that is a fact of life. They will wear the gear that the LA fans want because the LA are the ones that have to support the team and buy the gear.

I read for months the LA fans would not support the Rams so far the fact is they are.

Based on season-ticket sales, the Rams are a hit in their return to Los Angeles.

Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff said the Rams have already sold 63,000 season tickets. The team's goal is to sell 70,000 season tickets and leave the remaining seats for single-game sales.

The Rams will play home games in the Los Angeles Coliseum for three years during the construction of their new stadium in Inglewood, Calif. The team plans to configure the Coliseum at a capacity of 80,000, although the stadium can be extended to 90,000 fans.

"This has really been a labor of love over the past five months to get this team up and running in every facet," Demoff told the Ventura County Star said. "Our group has been working tirelessly. I must say, the warm reception we have received from everybody in this community has been unbelievable."

The Rams' move to the Los Angeles area from St. Louis was approved by the 32 NFL owners on Jan. 12. The team recently completed its offseason training camp at Oxnard, Calif., and will hold training camp later this summer at UC Irvine.

The Rams have been awarded Super Bowl LV in 2021, which will be played at owner Stan Kroenke's $2.6 billion privately funded stadium and entertainment complex in Inglewood.
                                I know they next line coming is for how long? Well only time will tell if they play bad enough long enough to drive away fan support. But if you are hoping for that then maybe it's time to find another team.
                                Last edited by Rambos; -06-30-2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment