No announcement yet.

Wentz has advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than Goff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wentz has advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than Goff

Carson Wentz has one simple advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than No. 1 pick Jared Goff
    Cork Gaines Sep. 20, 2016, 12:26 PM

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images; Jae Hong/AP

After the Philadelphia Eagles' win on Monday night, they are now 2-0 with Carson Wentz. As a result, questions are already being raised about whether the Los Angeles Rams made a mistake passing on Wentz to draft Jared Goff with the first pick in the draft.

However, those questions may not be fair to Goff simply because Wentz appears to have one big advantage working in his favor: he was drafted by a team that was in a better position to help a young quarterback transition to the NFL.

Before the draft, the general consensus on the two quarterbacks was that Wentz had a slight advantage in ability but that Goff had a huge advantage in being better prepared for the NFL. Goff was coming from Cal and out of the Pac-12 Conference. Meanwhile, Wentz played in the FCS (college football's second division) at North Dakota State. Wentz' learning curve was supposed to be much steeper.

And yet, after two weeks, Wentz has not only grabbed the starting job with the Eagles much sooner than anticipated, but he already looks like a polished NFL quarterback. Meanwhile, Goff has yet to play and didn't even dress for Week 1.

Is Wentz just the better quarterback? It is possible, but it is still too early to know with any certainty. But his early success may be attributable to having a coaching staff that has a lot more experience working with quarterbacks.

Every quarterback has three important coaches that impact their play, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, and the quarterbacks coach. Check out the differences in their resumes, according to Chris Wesseling of Around the NFL:
    Twitter/ChrisWesseling

Now, this is not a complete picture. Weinke is actually in his second year as a coach and was an NFL quarterback for seven seasons. He also helped develop quarterbacks at the IMG Academy in Florida.

But still, it appears, on the surface at least, that Wentz was put into a situation where it would be easier for a young QB to transition to the NFL. All three of Wentz's coaches have served as both offensive coordinators and as quarterbacks coaches. All three of Goff's coaches have combined for less than two seasons of coaching quarterbacks.

None of this means that Goff won't eventually be a star quarterback and it doesn't mean that the Rams whiffed on the pick. But it could explain why Wentz has had more success right out of the gate.

Carson Wentz has one simple advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than No. 1 pick Jared Goff... He's not sitting on the bench like he would be if he played for the Rams? That's my short answer.

Comment

Yeah, I've got the secret answer. Their offensive line is 10x better.

Comment

My answer: it's two weeks into their rookie season. Let's see where they are in two years.

Comment

Wenkie and Boras are A$$ clowns. That was evident on hard knocks

Wentz listens to Metallica and Goof listens to Taylor Swift.
          All bets are Goff

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
            My answer: it's two weeks into their rookie season. Let's see where they are in two years.
            Right......

Comment

Very interesting info though. Rams offensive coaching staff is lacking. Definitely a big factor in their troubles.

Comment

"Before the draft, the general consensus on the two quarterbacks was that Wentz had a slight advantage in ability but that Goff had a huge advantage in being better prepared for the NFL. Goff was coming from Cal and out of the Pac-12 Conference. Meanwhile, Wentz played in the FCS (college football's second division) at North Dakota State. Wentz' learning curve was supposed to be much steeper.".

Sounds like football snobbery, not the logic behind those who thought the transition from The Bear Raid would be as hard, if not harder. Wentz is doing his college thing; not sure that QB braintrust had to do much to get him where he is,tbh.Not that I'm convinced about The Boras/Groh/Weinke offensive staff, either. I don't even like their names; like Middle Earth characters & not the cool ones. Is it "Winkie' or "When-key ?

Comment

Yeah, lets completely overlook Chris Weinke's history as an NFL QB and Heisman trophy winner
                  @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post
                    Yeah, lets completely overlook Chris Weinke's history as an NFL QB and Heisman trophy winner
                    Chris Weinke has a career record of 2-18 as a starter and a QB rating of 62.2. That's a history I'd want to overlook, if my name was attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

Chris Weinke has a career record of 2-18 as a starter and a QB rating of 62.2. That's a history I'd want to overlook, if my name was attached to it.
                      That's fugly. Yikes!
                      :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	be.png
Views:	9
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	801514

Comment

So the implication here is the NFL HC with over 20 years experience doesn't know how to build an offensive staff better than a rookie NFL HC?

Comment

Originally posted by svh01 View Post
                            So the implication here is the NFL HC with over 20 years experience doesn't know how to build an offensive staff better than a rookie NFL HC?
                            Well when your 20 years-experienced NFL HC is several losses away from being the most losing coach in history, that's pretty bad.

Comment

Its easy to say Fisher defensive coach--Boras former TE/OL coach (though you wouldn't know it watching his OL under perform)-- captain Weinke as QB coach as being the root of Goff's slow NFL start compared to Wentz's supporting cast of coaches.

Goff came from a system where he had limited control of play calling and in a system that is alien from what is used in the NFL--more so with a team like the Rams. Wentz came from a more pro-friendly system. So Wentz has an early edge. Its easy to see that Fisher/Snead's gamble is Goff's physical skills and talent. For short term payoff Wentz is the clear favorite but Goff selection is a long term payoff. The real question Goff verse Wentz is a long way from being answered

The only knock I have on Goff is he doesn't have that swagger of confidence that is infectious to others and I am a little disappointed in his understanding of the playbook. Only hard work and developing his craft at the later as well as his grasp of NFL defenses will correct that--very doable. Having the ability to develop a cult of personality within a team like B. Farve, that one I don't think can be taught--that's all from within one's own personality

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick

April 16, 2016

Updated April 17, 2016 10:43 a.m.

1 of 1
                                California quarterback Jared Goff looks for an open receiver against Air Force during the first half of the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec. 29. Goff's pocket presence is considered one of his strengths. RON JENKINS, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

As far as college quarterbacks go, Jared Goff is not among the most decorated.

He racked up gaudy numbers, but did so in an Air Raid-styled spread offense. He was never in serious discussion for any major national awards and had to share his All-Pac-12 first-team nod this past season. He finished with a career record of 14-23.

None of that, however, should prevent the Rams from drafting him No. 1 overall over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz at the end of this month.

“I went into every game thinking I’m the best player on the field,” Goff said last summer. “Because I think you have to.”

He was reflecting on his 2013 debut at Cal, when he became the first true freshman quarterback in program history to start a season opener. That first campaign in Berkeley was miserable, with the Golden Bears winning just a single game under new coach Sonny Dykes.

But to those who would knock Goff for not being a “winner,” consider this: The 21-year-old is already mentally prepared for the hardships of an NFL transition. He is unlikely to see his confidence shaken by even the worst losses, unlikely to be fazed by the pressure of being anointed the savior of Los Angeles pro football.

He also checks off several other boxes, having improved his passer rating by double digits in every season. CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler and NBC Sports’ Josh Norris both rank the Bay Area product as the more attractive prospect, as does Sports Illustrated’s Chris Burke. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller said in a recent radio appearance that he would take Goff over Wentz “without a doubt.”

Even NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, who prefers Wentz for his tools and upside, has called Goff the “most ready-to-play quarterback in this draft.”

“You just don’t see very often college quarterbacks who have his ability both mentally and physically,” Brugler said. “His ability to throw guys open, that passing anticipating. You saw that a little bit with Jameis Winston, but he brings something different to the table – something that projects very well to the NFL level.”

Of course, it’s easy enough to find those on the other side of the aisle, too. Wentz is still the favorite to go No. 1 on a litany of mock drafts, including one from Cris Collinsworth that predicted the Rams’ blockbuster trade a month before it was finalized.

The case for Wentz is simple enough to understand. The Bismarck, N.D., native stands at 6-foot-5 and 235...
                                -04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
                              • Nick
                                Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz: Who should Rams take with No. 1 draft pick?
                                by Nick
                                Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz: Who should Rams take with No. 1 draft pick?
                                Published: April 15, 2016 at 04:05 p.m. Updated: April 15, 2016 at 04:54 p.m.
                                NFL.com

On Thursday, the Los Angeles Rams sent shockwaves through the NFL by jumping from No. 15 in this month's draft all the way up to No. 1. Of course, this move didn't come without a price: The Rams sent the Titans two first-round picks, two second-rounders and two third-rounders over the next two drafts (in exchange for No. 1, No. 113 and No. 177 in this month's event). But the trade puts the Rams in position to (presumably) draft a quarterback to build around as the franchise returns to L.A.

It appears that two signal callers have separated themselves from the pack: Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz. Saturday night at 8 p.m. ET, NFL Network will break down the biggest question heading into the 2016 draft with a special program, "Path to the Draft: Goff or Wentz?" But in the meantime, what do you think? Which of these two QBs should the Rams select at No. 1 overall?

Charley Casserly
                                Writer | NFL.com
                                Carson Wentz has more long-term promise, but Jared Goff is the guy for L.A. in 2016

I like Carson Wentz over Jared Goff long term, but Goff is a better fit right now. And Los Angeles could indeed be a QB away from being a playoff team -- the Rams have a good defense and a Pro Bowl RB in Todd Gurley. Goff has very good pocket presence -- he sees things quickly and has a quick release. But he does not have a top arm.

To be frank, though, I don't think either one of these QBs is an elite prospect.

Daniel Jeremiah
                                Writer | NFL.com
                                Wentz is the superior prospect -- in fact, he's better than Blake Bortles was coming out of UCF

They should take Carson Wentz. He's bigger, more athletic, has a stronger arm and gained experience in an NFL system while at North Dakota State. He's proven to play his best in big moments, and he's done nothing but win his entire athletic career.

Wentz's toughness, competitiveness and football intelligence are off the charts. He's a better player than Blake Bortles was coming out of Central Florida.

Gil Brandt
                                Writer | NFL.com
                                I have Wentz rated slightly higher, but I think Goff is a better fit in Los Angeles

In my rankings -- which will be released on NFL.com on Monday -- I have Carson Wentz one spot ahead of Jared Goff. But, if I were the Rams, I would go with Goff because of the fact the he was raised in California. He would be much more familiar with the difficulty of movement in Los Angeles, mainly traffic and the pace of living. Goff would have an easier time adapting to the high-intensity way of life in the L.A. area. Moving to California would be a culture shock for anybody who has lived their entire life in North Dakota.

Lance Zierlein
                                Writer |...
                                -04-16-2016, 12:21 PM
                              • Nick
                                PFT: Signs point strongly to Jared Goff as the first pick
                                by Nick
                                Signs point strongly to Jared Goff as the first pick
                                Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2016, 10:00 PM EDT

Immediately after the Rams traded up from No. 15 to No. 1 in the draft, it seemed that the Rams would select quarterback Carson Wentz. Ultimately, conflicting reports emerged regarding whether the Rams would take Wentz or quarterback Jared Goff — and that’s perhaps exactly what the Rams wanted.

As time has passed, a very strong sense has emerged that Goff will indeed be the selection. The decision of the Eagles, who reportedly covet Wentz not Goff, to move to No. 2 suggests strongly that the Eagles know that Goff will be the pick in Los Angeles. Perhaps the only thing that would keep that from happening at this point would be Goff figuratively (or literally) being hit by a bus between now and Thursday night.

The clearest sign that Goff will be the guy comes from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, who reported after the trade that the Rams were “targeting” Wentz. Farmer has since done a 180.

“Although I first thought the Rams’ pick was Carson Wentz, I believe I misread the signs,” Farmer said Sunday on Twitter. “Mark me down for Jared Goff.”

Mark me down for Goff, too. If Farmer now believes it, that’s good enough for me.
                                -04-25-2016, 03:59 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Cal coach Sonny Dykes learned everything he ever really needed to know about Jared Goff during Goff's freshman season as a teenage quarterback for a program that won only once in 12 tries.

"He never blinked," Dykes said in a phone interview this week, days before Goff makes his long-awaited debut for the Los Angeles Rams. "I think we played Ohio State in Game 3 that year, and we weren’t very good, and we were playing with a ton of young players. Bunch of freshmen. Bunch of O-linemen that weren’t ready to be playing, I can promise you that. He got hit a bunch, and I learned that he was incredibly tough physically, incredibly tough mentally. He never complained one time. He just got up, dusted himself off, went back to the sideline and went back to work. And that’s the best thing about Jared Goff."

This won't be easy for Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NFL draft.

His own coaches have cautioned as much. Jeff Fisher, who warned against judging Goff solely on the merits of his first game Sunday at home against the Miami Dolphins, said Goff is "going to have some moments, like all young quarterbacks do." Or offensive coordinator Rob Boras, who acknowledged that taking practice snaps is "different than actually playing." And quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke, who talked about how the Rams "have to accept that there’s going to be some bumps in the road."

Goff will be tested from Day 1 against a Dolphins team with a devastating front four and standing behind an offensive line that has not performed well this season.

One thing that should help him, Dykes believes, is his footwork in the pocket and his willingness to absorb hits, a trait teammates have already picked up on.

"When they sat down and looked at all the quarterbacks, I think that’s what made him stand out, made him unique and made him the first pick," Dykes said. "It was his toughness, ability to stand in there and throw the ball with somebody in his face. Also, his ability to shuffle around and create space is pretty unique. The NFL game is different than the college game. Everything has to happen much faster than it does in college, but I’m sure he’s made that adjustment. I think he’ll do a great job."

The Rams waited to start Goff largely because he came from an offense in which he did not take a snap from under center and did not call plays from the huddle. Besides getting acclimated to NFL speed, those have been his two biggest adjustments. The system Goff ran at Cal was the pass-happy Air Raid offense that lends itself to gaudy collegiate statistics but traditionally has not produced successful NFL quarterbacks.

Goff ran a lot of run-pass options that mostly required

-11-18-2016, 09:42 AM
                              • Nick
                                Rams to meet with both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz
                                by Nick
                                Rams to meet with both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz
                                Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2016, 9:00 AM EDT

The Rams are continuing to signal publicly that they remain undecided about who will become the franchise quarterback in Los Angeles.

Days after trading up to the first overall pick in next week’s draft, the Rams have scheduled meetings with both Cal quarterback Jared Goff and North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the team is currently leaning toward Goff but wants time to consider both quarterbacks. Other reports have indicated that the Rams are leaning toward Wentz.

Some think the Rams knew who they were going to take before they made the trade with the Titans but are just choosing to keep things close to the vest. Even if that’s the case, however, it doesn’t hurt to take a meeting with both quarterbacks and learn a little more about the player they’re not going to take.

With the draft now just 11 days away, the suspense won’t last much longer. We’ll see how long the Rams can manage to keep a lid on the identity of their pick.
                                -04-17-2016, 06:44 AM
                              Working...
                              X