No announcement yet.

Wentz has advantage that could explain why he’s having more success than Goff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks raised this on their podcast this week. This is at the very least interesting and the Rams inability to attract quality positional coaches and co-ordinators has been a weird and regular facet of the Fisher regime in St Louis and L.A. I quite liked Boras as a character in Hard Knocks but so far the offense has resembled caricature.

Every team is going to dare Keenum to beat us, and we need to find both the personnel and gameplan to make the a possibility.

Comment

Josh McDaniels is considered a good positions coach and look what he did for us. It's still early in the game and we do not have a strong O line or receiving Corp.
      "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

For those who want to wait two years and see who comes out ahead, I can save you some time.

Wentz is the guy with the "it" factor. He's 3-0, breaking records and looks like the next Ben Rothleisberger, maybe better. He's big, 6-5, 237 has pocket awareness, avoids sacks and throws on the run. He has all the passes, touch, zip, and bomb.

Goff has a "chance" to be decent. Another 6'4, 215 skinny kid out of college. I'm very scared of him taking a hit from a 300 pound D'lineman.

Goff's ceiling at this point is already below where Wentz is today because he doesn't have the physicality to go with it. Wentz may have been a bigger gamble, but it was a great bet. His learning curve was the only concern and he's miles ahead of Goff.

Wentz is the better Quarterback. Save yourself 2 years and accept it now.

Comment

We just had an exciting, hard fought, dramatic win, and this is what you want to talk about? Something that is pure speculation at this point?

I'll make my own judgments on Goff when he gets an opportunity to play. Until then, I don't need to be saved, but thanks anyway..........

Comment

Originally posted by renrawtruk View Post
            For those who want to wait two years and see who comes out ahead, I can save you some time.

Wentz is the guy with the "it" factor. He's 3-0, breaking records and looks like the next Ben Rothleisberger, maybe better. He's big, 6-5, 237 has pocket awareness, avoids sacks and throws on the run. He has all the passes, touch, zip, and bomb.

Goff has a "chance" to be decent. Another 6'4, 215 skinny kid out of college. I'm very scared of him taking a hit from a 300 pound D'lineman.

Goff's ceiling at this point is already below where Wentz is today because he doesn't have the physicality to go with it. Wentz may have been a bigger gamble, but it was a great bet. His learning curve was the only concern and he's miles ahead of Goff.

Given the gut wrenching win we just had, I'd say that was the worst timed post ever.

Comment

Originally posted by renrawtruk View Post

Cool, I don't have to think about it ever again or watch Wentz play at all. I'll just continue to enjoy the Rams games and see how well they do. Thanks man!
              Last edited by MoonJoe; -09-26-2016, 07:43 PM.
              "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

If the Ram's were not prepared to develop Goff, why mortgage the farm to draft him? Where are the O-line picks needed to protect any QB we start? If you don't watch Wentz you are really missing something special, the kid seems to have everything lined up.

Our entire organization is undisciplined, from drafting to expulsions to penalties and drops. God I hate Fisher.

Comment

I've watched Wentz, and he looks impressive, but I'm certainly not going to fixate on him. Prescott looks just as good, and we'll simply have to see how Goff does when he gets his shot. Making determinations at this point, and trying to marginalize Goff before he even plays a down in a regular season game, is silly.

Comment

4 rookies started at QB yesterday. I still think the biggest issue with Goff is the snap from center. In time that will come. Terry Bradshaw yesterday said he never took a snap from the shotgun once in his career.
                    :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
                      I still think the biggest issue with Goff is the snap from center. In time that will come.
                      You could be right. From what I heard in a pregame discussion yesterday, the center snap was the biggest issue for Prescott as well. He rarely ever took one in college, just like Goff, but after repetition, he got it.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                        I've watched Wentz, and he looks impressive, but I'm certainly not going to fixate on him. Prescott looks just as good, and we'll simply have to see how Goff does when he gets his shot. Making determinations at this point, and trying to marginalize Goff before he even plays a down in a regular season game, is silly.
                        Wentz and Prescott both look good…

Hmm….

It’s almost as if having talent around rookie QBs helps them have success.

Dallas and Philadelphia both have very good offensive lines, they both have talent in the backfield, and they both have good weapons in the passing game.

Meanwhile, even Rams fans admit that, besides Todd Gurley, the Rams don’t have much to help a QB out on offense. Los Angeles just gave their second biggest weapon a contract extension and the majority of fans talked about how it was wasted money.

I’m not trying to diminish the jobs Wentz and Prescott have done so far through their rookie seasons; both have exceeded my expectations for how they’d do if they made early starts. But you cannot underestimate the surrounding talent when it comes to how a rookie QB transitions into the league. Situation and circumstance play such a huge role in how a player turns out.

Imagine if the Vikings hadn’t traded for Sam Bradford after losing Bridgewater; would Sam still be starting in Philly while Wentz sits on the bench? How would Wentz’s story be different in that situation? How would Goff’s story be different if the Rams had traded Keenum to the Broncos or if Case went down with injury?

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
                        I still think the biggest issue with Goff is the snap from center.
                        You might be right.

The fact of the matter is, though, nobody posting on this board knows if Goff is ready or not or what he’s going to become. Personally, I think the biggest issue with Goff is he’s being coached by someone who likes to play the long game with the development of his QB talent.

Perhaps as fans, we all should have done a better job seeing this coming with Fisher’s history with McNair, but it would seem to me that Fisher would prefer to keep Goff on the bench and let him learn as long as he’s able. And with the Rams 2-1 and Keenum playing at least the last two games efficiently, he’s able to do that.

Comment

I am rather impressed with Wentz and Prescott. Wentz for sure looks like a seasoned veteran thus far....no doubt. I saw Goff play at Cal a number of times. The kid can play. I have every belief he will show as well as what we are seeing from Wentz. Fisher has a different philosophy as a HC. Time will tell but Wentz does look look the real deal. Fun to watch him.....

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post
                            I am rather impressed with Wentz and Prescott. Wentz for sure looks like a seasoned veteran thus far....no doubt. I saw Goff play at Cal a number of times. The kid can play. I have every belief he will show as well as what we are seeing from Wentz. Fisher has a different philosophy as a HC. Time will tell but Wentz does look look the real deal. Fun to watch him.....
                            I haven't had a chance to watch full Eagles games, but from the plays I have seen, his ability to extend a play and find open receivers down field is impressive. I'm hoping this is a situation where both the Rams and the Eagles will be pleased with their choices. It kind of makes me feel bad for the Browns... but then I snap back to reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                              But you cannot underestimate the surrounding talent when it comes to how a rookie QB transitions into the league. Situation and circumstance play such a huge role in how a player turns out.
                              I completely agree, and have made the point that both Wentz and Prescott have the advantage of playing behind pro bowl linemen, which is major when it comes to development.

Comment

The most important part is everything outside of the natural born talent (Prescott and Wentz). Yes, they have great arms, their footwork is good, and they have the ability to take snaps under center. But what's most impressive is their poise, their ability to extend plays, their ability to read defenses, their ability to step into their throws and take a big hit, and lastly, their ability to make 10 or 53 other grown men believe they have what it takes to win.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                  Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick
                                  by r8rh8rmike
                                  Cal QB Jared Goff has skills, NFL-ready talent to warrant being Rams' No. 1 pick

April 16, 2016

Updated April 17, 2016 10:43 a.m.

1 of 1
                                  California quarterback Jared Goff looks for an open receiver against Air Force during the first half of the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec. 29. Goff's pocket presence is considered one of his strengths. RON JENKINS, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

As far as college quarterbacks go, Jared Goff is not among the most decorated.

He racked up gaudy numbers, but did so in an Air Raid-styled spread offense. He was never in serious discussion for any major national awards and had to share his All-Pac-12 first-team nod this past season. He finished with a career record of 14-23.

None of that, however, should prevent the Rams from drafting him No. 1 overall over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz at the end of this month.

“I went into every game thinking I’m the best player on the field,” Goff said last summer. “Because I think you have to.”

He was reflecting on his 2013 debut at Cal, when he became the first true freshman quarterback in program history to start a season opener. That first campaign in Berkeley was miserable, with the Golden Bears winning just a single game under new coach Sonny Dykes.

But to those who would knock Goff for not being a “winner,” consider this: The 21-year-old is already mentally prepared for the hardships of an NFL transition. He is unlikely to see his confidence shaken by even the worst losses, unlikely to be fazed by the pressure of being anointed the savior of Los Angeles pro football.

He also checks off several other boxes, having improved his passer rating by double digits in every season. CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler and NBC Sports’ Josh Norris both rank the Bay Area product as the more attractive prospect, as does Sports Illustrated’s Chris Burke. Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller said in a recent radio appearance that he would take Goff over Wentz “without a doubt.”

Even NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, who prefers Wentz for his tools and upside, has called Goff the “most ready-to-play quarterback in this draft.”

“You just don’t see very often college quarterbacks who have his ability both mentally and physically,” Brugler said. “His ability to throw guys open, that passing anticipating. You saw that a little bit with Jameis Winston, but he brings something different to the table – something that projects very well to the NFL level.”

Of course, it’s easy enough to find those on the other side of the aisle, too. Wentz is still the favorite to go No. 1 on a litany of mock drafts, including one from Cris Collinsworth that predicted the Rams’ blockbuster trade a month before it was finalized.

The case for Wentz is simple enough to understand. The Bismarck, N.D., native stands at 6-foot-5 and 235...
                                  -04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
                                • Nick
                                  Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz: Who should Rams take with No. 1 draft pick?
                                  by Nick
                                  Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz: Who should Rams take with No. 1 draft pick?
                                  Published: April 15, 2016 at 04:05 p.m. Updated: April 15, 2016 at 04:54 p.m.
                                  NFL.com

On Thursday, the Los Angeles Rams sent shockwaves through the NFL by jumping from No. 15 in this month's draft all the way up to No. 1. Of course, this move didn't come without a price: The Rams sent the Titans two first-round picks, two second-rounders and two third-rounders over the next two drafts (in exchange for No. 1, No. 113 and No. 177 in this month's event). But the trade puts the Rams in position to (presumably) draft a quarterback to build around as the franchise returns to L.A.

It appears that two signal callers have separated themselves from the pack: Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz. Saturday night at 8 p.m. ET, NFL Network will break down the biggest question heading into the 2016 draft with a special program, "Path to the Draft: Goff or Wentz?" But in the meantime, what do you think? Which of these two QBs should the Rams select at No. 1 overall?

Charley Casserly
                                  Writer | NFL.com
                                  Carson Wentz has more long-term promise, but Jared Goff is the guy for L.A. in 2016

I like Carson Wentz over Jared Goff long term, but Goff is a better fit right now. And Los Angeles could indeed be a QB away from being a playoff team -- the Rams have a good defense and a Pro Bowl RB in Todd Gurley. Goff has very good pocket presence -- he sees things quickly and has a quick release. But he does not have a top arm.

To be frank, though, I don't think either one of these QBs is an elite prospect.

Daniel Jeremiah
                                  Writer | NFL.com
                                  Wentz is the superior prospect -- in fact, he's better than Blake Bortles was coming out of UCF

They should take Carson Wentz. He's bigger, more athletic, has a stronger arm and gained experience in an NFL system while at North Dakota State. He's proven to play his best in big moments, and he's done nothing but win his entire athletic career.

Wentz's toughness, competitiveness and football intelligence are off the charts. He's a better player than Blake Bortles was coming out of Central Florida.

Gil Brandt
                                  Writer | NFL.com
                                  I have Wentz rated slightly higher, but I think Goff is a better fit in Los Angeles

In my rankings -- which will be released on NFL.com on Monday -- I have Carson Wentz one spot ahead of Jared Goff. But, if I were the Rams, I would go with Goff because of the fact the he was raised in California. He would be much more familiar with the difficulty of movement in Los Angeles, mainly traffic and the pace of living. Goff would have an easier time adapting to the high-intensity way of life in the L.A. area. Moving to California would be a culture shock for anybody who has lived their entire life in North Dakota.

Lance Zierlein
                                  Writer |...
                                  -04-16-2016, 12:21 PM
                                • Nick
                                  PFT: Signs point strongly to Jared Goff as the first pick
                                  by Nick
                                  Signs point strongly to Jared Goff as the first pick
                                  Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2016, 10:00 PM EDT

Immediately after the Rams traded up from No. 15 to No. 1 in the draft, it seemed that the Rams would select quarterback Carson Wentz. Ultimately, conflicting reports emerged regarding whether the Rams would take Wentz or quarterback Jared Goff — and that’s perhaps exactly what the Rams wanted.

As time has passed, a very strong sense has emerged that Goff will indeed be the selection. The decision of the Eagles, who reportedly covet Wentz not Goff, to move to No. 2 suggests strongly that the Eagles know that Goff will be the pick in Los Angeles. Perhaps the only thing that would keep that from happening at this point would be Goff figuratively (or literally) being hit by a bus between now and Thursday night.

The clearest sign that Goff will be the guy comes from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, who reported after the trade that the Rams were “targeting” Wentz. Farmer has since done a 180.

“Although I first thought the Rams’ pick was Carson Wentz, I believe I misread the signs,” Farmer said Sunday on Twitter. “Mark me down for Jared Goff.”

Mark me down for Goff, too. If Farmer now believes it, that’s good enough for me.
                                  -04-25-2016, 03:59 AM
                                • r8rh8rmike
                                  Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff
                                  by r8rh8rmike
                                  Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Cal coach Sonny Dykes learned everything he ever really needed to know about Jared Goff during Goff's freshman season as a teenage quarterback for a program that won only once in 12 tries.

"He never blinked," Dykes said in a phone interview this week, days before Goff makes his long-awaited debut for the Los Angeles Rams. "I think we played Ohio State in Game 3 that year, and we weren’t very good, and we were playing with a ton of young players. Bunch of freshmen. Bunch of O-linemen that weren’t ready to be playing, I can promise you that. He got hit a bunch, and I learned that he was incredibly tough physically, incredibly tough mentally. He never complained one time. He just got up, dusted himself off, went back to the sideline and went back to work. And that’s the best thing about Jared Goff."

This won't be easy for Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NFL draft.

His own coaches have cautioned as much. Jeff Fisher, who warned against judging Goff solely on the merits of his first game Sunday at home against the Miami Dolphins, said Goff is "going to have some moments, like all young quarterbacks do." Or offensive coordinator Rob Boras, who acknowledged that taking practice snaps is "different than actually playing." And quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke, who talked about how the Rams "have to accept that there’s going to be some bumps in the road."

Goff will be tested from Day 1 against a Dolphins team with a devastating front four and standing behind an offensive line that has not performed well this season.

One thing that should help him, Dykes believes, is his footwork in the pocket and his willingness to absorb hits, a trait teammates have already picked up on.

"When they sat down and looked at all the quarterbacks, I think that’s what made him stand out, made him unique and made him the first pick," Dykes said. "It was his toughness, ability to stand in there and throw the ball with somebody in his face. Also, his ability to shuffle around and create space is pretty unique. The NFL game is different than the college game. Everything has to happen much faster than it does in college, but I’m sure he’s made that adjustment. I think he’ll do a great job."

The Rams waited to start Goff largely because he came from an offense in which he did not take a snap from under center and did not call plays from the huddle. Besides getting acclimated to NFL speed, those have been his two biggest adjustments. The system Goff ran at Cal was the pass-happy Air Raid offense that lends itself to gaudy collegiate statistics but traditionally has not produced successful NFL quarterbacks.

Goff ran a lot of run-pass options that mostly required

-11-18-2016, 09:42 AM
                                • Nick
                                  Rams to meet with both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz
                                  by Nick
                                  Rams to meet with both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz
                                  Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2016, 9:00 AM EDT

The Rams are continuing to signal publicly that they remain undecided about who will become the franchise quarterback in Los Angeles.

Days after trading up to the first overall pick in next week’s draft, the Rams have scheduled meetings with both Cal quarterback Jared Goff and North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the team is currently leaning toward Goff but wants time to consider both quarterbacks. Other reports have indicated that the Rams are leaning toward Wentz.

Some think the Rams knew who they were going to take before they made the trade with the Titans but are just choosing to keep things close to the vest. Even if that’s the case, however, it doesn’t hurt to take a meeting with both quarterbacks and learn a little more about the player they’re not going to take.

With the draft now just 11 days away, the suspense won’t last much longer. We’ll see how long the Rams can manage to keep a lid on the identity of their pick.
                                  -04-17-2016, 06:44 AM
                                Working...
                                X