Would you look at that running...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you look at that running...

We gp to the ghost screen, gurley counter tray play murliple times and Gurley has running room. I'd be willing to bet that thst specific playcall has only been called 9-10 times this year and has an average of over 5.0 a clip... If using austin that way allows for a more efficient offense then so be it.

Gurley and cunningham actually had some room to run today which is promising. And we actually ran the ball in the 2nd half too which is promising .

Originally posted by bruce4life View Post
    We gp to the ghost screen, gurley counter tray play murliple times and Gurley has running room. I'd be willing to bet that thst specific playcall has only been called 9-10 times this year and has an average of over 5.0 a clip... If using austin that way allows for a more efficient offense then so be it.

Gurley and cunningham actually had some room to run today which is promising. And we actually ran the ball in the 2nd half too which is promising .
    Amazing how the threat of Austin opened things up, and it kept working. What didn't work, was the holding penalty on Robinson that negated a beautiful 21 yard run by Gurley. He really looked dejected when he realized there was a penalty, on what should have been a big confidence boosting run.

I agree the run game showed signs of life today.

Comment

After K. Britt who else if you where an opposing DC scares you about the Rams in the passing game?

How the Rams us Austin wouldn't worry me in the slightest. How the Rams should use Gurley would give me some concern. And seriously would put my best CB on Quick and double cover Britt while using the Safeties to spy Gurley and Austin...oh by the way besides zone and cover 2 formations guess what other defenses have been using against the Ram's offense?

From the beginning of the season I said the Rams need to run a 2 back offense... Cunningham & Gurley
      *that formation gives the Rams 10 potential plays as a core set allowing flexibility to bring in an extra TE or WR as situation dictates and thus an addition 15 play potential--and most of those plays are low risk high percentage passing--and guess who that would benefit a rookie QB?

Comment

^I'm sorry, but that is far too creative a scheme to find its way onto a Fisher team.
        “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
          Gurley: It's like there are 12 people on the field
          by Nick
          Rams' Todd Gurley will try to break through against Tampa Bay
          By Gary Klein
          September 23, 2016, 7:05 PM

Todd Gurley lined up in the backfield, looked across the line of scrimmage and saw a crowd.

A large one.

The San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks stacked defenders to stop the second-year running back. Only the allowable 11 defensive players were on the other side of the ball, but it seemed like more.

“It’s been crazy,” Gurley said Friday. “I’m like, ‘There’s 12 people on the field!’ It’s definitely a lot of people.”

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are expected to employ a similar strategy Sunday at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla.

The Rams are 1-1 and tied for first place in the NFC West, but they have yet to spring Gurley for a long run that was a staple of his performance last season, when he was voted the NFL’s offensive rookie of the year.

Gurley has rushed for 98 yards in two games. His longest run went for 11 yards, and he is averaging only 2.7 yards a carry.

Not coincidentally, the Rams are the only NFL team that has not scored a touchdown.

Gurley lamented opponents’ strategy to stop him but said there was an upside.

“Sometimes that’s a good thing because if you get past that first level, then you’re gone,” he said. “But you have to get past that first level first.”

Last season, Gurley rushed for only 48 yards in 21 carries in a 31-23 victory over the Buccaneers. But it was a memorable performance that included a milestone.

Gurley scored on a three-yard touchdown run that put him exactly at 1,000 yards.

He finished the season with 1,106 yards, and joined Eric Dickerson and Jerome Bettis as the only Rams rookies to rush for 1,000 yards.

“That was a pretty good night for us,” he said of the victory over Tampa Bay, “and the offense was actually rolling.”

The Rams had a good night against the Buccaneers but finished the season ranked last in the NFL in offense.

That’s where the Rams are again this season after a 28-0 defeat by the 49ers and a 9-3 victory over the Seahawks.

So getting Gurley on track remains a priority.

“It takes 11 guys to protect the quarterback, it takes 11 guys to be able to run the football,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said. “It’s just like anything, when things aren’t going well in business or in football, it’s not always the same guy.”

Veteran guard Rodger Saffold said it should come as no surprise that defensive coordinators with a season’s worth of film to study have devised ways to try to stop Gurley.

The situation is reminiscent of what former Rams running back Steven Jackson encountered, Saffold said. Jackson was a 1,000-yard rusher every season from 2005 to 2012.

“He kind of knew, ‘With so many people inside, I’ve got to bounce’...
          -09-24-2016, 06:53 AM
        • Nick
          So, I guess that Gurley kid is pretty good...
          by Nick
          433 rushing yards on 68 attempts for a 6.36 average over the last three games, Rams 2-1 in that span.

It's still early, but the Rams may have found their response to the question posed earlier this year regarding the last time they hit a home run on an offensive draft pick.
          -10-25-2015, 01:46 PM
        • MauiRam
          Stat Breakdown: Todd Gurley II and the Zone Block Scheme
          by MauiRam
          FINLEYJUN 21, 2016

It seems, just as the running back position was slipping into "by committee" systems, a game changing athlete comes around with a do it all skill set. Adrian Peterson showed us in 2007 that backs like this still existed, and now Todd Gurley II has arrived.

Gurley, the tenth overall selection in the 2015 NFL draft, exploded onto the scene with four straight 120+ yard games in his first four starts. Gurley continued to impress finishing his season with 1,106 yards and 10 TDs to earn himself a trip to Hawaii and Rookie of the Year honors. With sights set on an even better sophomore season, lets take a look into Gurley's 2015 and see where he was good, where he struggled, and what we can expect heading into 2016.

Optional...

To understand Gurley's success in the Zone Block Scheme (ZBS), I would like to direct you to (after you finish this article) to Brett Kollmann's Film Room Video that goes extremely in depth on the Rams style of the ZBS. The link will be at the bottom of the article. To paraphrase, the Zone Block scheme is a run game philosophy where the offensive line flows laterally down the line of scrimmage with the intent of stretching the defense and opening up a hole for the running back to run through. The responsibility of the running back is to flow with the play and read outside to inside. This means he is looking to get to the edge first (over the outside shoulder of his most outside blocker) and if it is not open, then he will look one gap to the inside. He will continue to read one gap at a time until he finds an opening. If no opening is there, usually a cut back lane is available so the running back can take it to the other side of the field. This system thrives with running backs who have great vision. Elite speed is not necessary as very successful backs such as Terrell Davis and Arian Foster, who both ran 4.6 in the 40 yard dash, were able to utilize the ZBS successfully. The difference with Gurley, is that he does have elite speed, great vision, and is perfect for this type of scheme.

The ZBS works different against different defenses and particularly struggles against the 3-4. This is due to the down lineman in a 3-4 focusing in on controlling 2 gaps instead of penetrating like you would see in a 4-3 defense. Since the 3-4 uses 2 gap control, the big Nose Tackle will clog up the middle, preventing cut back plays. Alignment in the 3-4 also leaves the Guard uncovered, which can confuse assignments for the line. A response for 3-4 defenses is to switch to a man block scheme and pull those uncovered guards to where the 3-4 defense is at a disadvantage as they try to flow with the play and end up flowing right into a down block. The reason I am pointing this out, is because the Rams and Todd Gurley had MORE success against 3-4 defenses, averaging almost 40 more yards a game and two more yards per carry. The answer is in Brett Kollman's video,...
          -06-21-2016, 11:45 PM
        • AvengerRam
          Gurley's struggles... we've seen this before.
          by AvengerRam
          Todd Gurley finished his rookie year with a 4.8 ypc average.
          This year, after 6 games, he has a 2.9 ypc average.

Believe it or not, we've seen this before.

In 1993, Jerome Bettis ran for 1,429 yards as a rookie with a ypc average of 4.9.
          The next year, he finished with only 1,025 and a ypc average of 3.2.

Two years later, Bettis was a Steeler, and he finished with 1,400+ and 1,600+ yards in his first two seasons in Pittsburgh (with ypc averages in the 4.4-4.5 range).

While the reasons for Bettis' struggles (some felt it was over-use) may not have been identical to those impacting Gurley (OL play, playcalling), I think there is something to be learned from what happened with Bettis.

Don't give up on a talented RB. Fix the problems around him.

I'm really not interested in evaluating whether Gurley may have missed a hole or two. Perhaps he has, but on the vast majority of his carries, a hybrid of Barry Sanders and Eric Dickerson would have been stopped for no gain.

Gurley has not forgotten how to run. He is likely very frustrated, and it may be impacting his patience. But when I watch other teams, I see RBs, at least on occasion, getting 2-3 yards downfield before getting hit. I see holes opening. I see defenses getting fooled. I'm not seeing any of that with the Rams offense. Whether its the design, the playcalling, the blocking, or a combination of all three, the degree of difficulty Gurley is facing is unprecedented.

Well... almost unprecedented. We've seen this before, and we should not make the same mistake again. I'd hate to see Todd Gurley going to the Hall of Fame and citing his time in another city as the reason for his great career....
          -10-17-2016, 07:59 AM
        • AvengerRam
          RB Coach on Gurley, Pass Protection and Offensive Predictability
          by AvengerRam
          Interesting comment from rams RB Coach re: Todd Gurley and pass protection (w/Rotoworld commentary):

In my mind, the key to this story is not that Gurley needs to improve in pass-blocking (hardly surprising, as most college RBs don't learn the skill) but, rather, the admission by Peete, a holdover from 2016, of how the Rams' offense was highly predictable. We all saw this and felt like opposing defenses were constantly one step ahead of the Rams' offense. Its nice to see Peete acknowledge this openly.

I view Gurley as a back who can handle all 3 downs. He's big enough to pass block, and would be a valuable asset coming out of the backfield as a receiver more and more....
          -02-15-2017, 11:25 AM
        Working...
        X