• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why A Complete Overhaul is Needed

The soul-crushing slog of playing on a bad NFL team

7:10 AM CT​​​​​​​
    Matt Bowen
    ESPN Staff Writer

When a season starts to slip away, as it is for many teams around the league right now, it breaks your soul as a player. The energy level in the building dips, the attention to detail falls off, the game prep starts to feel like homework. You start looking toward the offseason, just trying to make it through the rest of the games healthy.

I experienced it firsthand back in 2003 as a member of Steve Spurrier's Washington Redskins. After a 3-1 start that included a win over Tom Brady and the Patriots, we were talking big at the beginning of October: playoffs, Super Bowl, Pro Bowls. Hey, everyone wanted in on this thing. Jump on the train.

But success in the NFL can be so fleeting. We lost the next four games and never recovered. From 3-1 to 5-11. Brutal.

There's a reason coach Hue Jackson got visibly emotional while trying to describe how the Browns still haven't won a game this season. Remember, these dudes on bad football teams -- coaches, players, executives -- they're all human. And when the wheels start to loosen on a season and eventually fall off, there's nowhere to hide. The Browns are one of many teams counting down the days until the season ends. Ken Blaze/USA TODAY Sports
    I still remember a Sunday night game down in Miami when we blew a big lead. It was our sixth loss in seven games. The winning touchdown? The Dolphins caught us in a blitz, and I was left to make the tackle on Ricky Williams. But that didn't happen. Nope. Instead, I took a stiff-arm to the face as Williams walked in for the score. Good-bye.

I still remember traveling to Chicago in Week 16, with Spurrier promising us an extended "Victory Monday" if we won that game -- three days off heading into the final week of the season. He threw a carrot out there for us, doing anything to buy a win. Didn't work. Paul Edinger kicked a game-winning field goal with five seconds left to beat us.

I still remember Week 17, when we got shredded in our final home game by the Eagles. 31-7. In my opinion, Andy Reid called off the dogs in that one. He took it easy on us. Philly could've scored 40 or maybe even 50 if they wanted to.

That Eagles team went to the NFC Championship Game. Our squad? We went home.

Yeah, we had some injuries. But so did everyone else. That's life in the league. Talent? There was enough in our locker room to win.

Coaching? I loved the defensive staff. And while Spurrier's stock as an NFL coach never recovered, I'm not going to blame him. No way. Sure, I didn't agree with some of the structure of his program or the style of practices we had late in the season, but Spurrier didn't get stiff-armed by Ricky or smoked by Keyshawn Johnson on a post route in a blowout loss to the Bucs. Nope. That was me.
    "Remember, these dudes on bad football teams -- coaches, players, execs -- they're all human. And when the wheels start to loosen on a season and eventually fall off, there's nowhere to hide."
    A lot of us had an idea that Spurrier wouldn't be back the next season when the calendar flipped over to December. And a lot of us were right. Owner Dan Snyder replaced Spurrier with Joe Gibbs in the offseason. And I would say uncertainty surrounding the head coach had an impact on the locker room, practice and our overall game prep as we finished out the year.

Things just started to drag a bit. The pace of practice slowed down, the film study slipped and the game plans got lighter. We became that team sleepwalking through the daily routine. It was now "work" at the facility. That excitement of getting a fresh game plan? That's for the playoff teams, the contenders. I've experienced that excitement. And it's great.

But we didn't have that anymore. It was gone. Just like the energy in the building. That stuff quickly evaporated over the last month and a half of the season. Now we were just football zombies throughout the week. Clock in and clock out. Take some notes, and head home.
    Game day? Yeah, we still played hard because you have to in order to survive an NFL Sunday. You go out there soft, and you'll probably end up on the cart with an injury. This game is too fast and too physical to walk around on that field like you don't care. Plus, we all knew we were basically auditioning for next season and the next head coach in Washington. Better put something good on tape, right?

I often say that NFL seasons are fragile. And when the team breaks -- or shatters into a thousand little pieces like it did in 2003 -- you don't recover as a player. You just try to survive.

ESPN.com NFL analyst Matt Bowen played seven seasons as a defensive back in the NFL.
    I think this article is an interesting read and really helps to hit home how a continued streak of losing starts to get ingrained into the culture of a franchise, especially from the top down. I believe that as long as Demoff, Snead and Fisher are here, nothing will change. Sure, we can bring in a new coordinator but that guy will not have enough influence or tenure to drastically turn around a franchise.

The house needs to be turned upside down and Demoff, Snead and Fisher's toxicity need to be kicked to the curb. As long as those three are in the building, there will always be a toxic culture of losing and negativity that surrounds our Rams.

It is indeed a good article. It reminds us that it is easy to sit in judgment of others. The reality is that it is VERY difficult to sustain a high level of intensity and effort when things start to go sour. While one would hope professionalism would prevent anyone from completely tanking, it is human nature to let your focus slip when your season is lost. As a lifelong athlete and high school coach, I've been on both sides. It's easy to be happy when things are going well. It's when things have gone astray that your true character is revealed. The Rams are at a crossroads- make no mistake about it.

The team has stunk for years through multiple administrations. We could cite chapter and verse as to why, but the bottom line is that this organization is lost. I think it starts with an owner that is spread so thin with his multitude of business interests that the single-minded commitment required to be consistently successful just isn't there. I'm not suggesting Stan doesn't care; I AM suggesting he needs to be A LOT MORE vested in the product that takes the field each Sunday- A product that has been substandard during his tenure as owner. You can't buy wins.

When there is a long time pattern of failure, very element of your organization's philosophy must be examined- from ownership to front office to coaching staff to scouting. A major exercise in self-reflection must occur or you'll simply duplicate the pattern.

Jeff Fisher and the front office have had five years- an eternity in professional football- to take the next step. It hasn't happened. They continue to spin their wheels, trip over themselves, commit foolish penalties and underachieve. The offense is as bad as its ever been. The line is still poor. We have poor wide receivers. We've had an unsettled QB situation for years. It's time for a change.

The Dickerson nonsense is something that simply doesn't happen on the sideline of winning football teams. That it happened at all is embarrassing; that Jeff Fisher chose to be deceptive when addressing it made it worse. His excuses, his press conferences, his Hard Knocks proclamations, etc. have grown old. He's being revealed as a guy who isn't the right person to lead this franchise anymore.

Comment

Well put NJ. I think you fingered the incident that is the red flag of every team that is on the verge of collapse. Throwing ice water on ED, despite his difficult nature (holding out) when he was with the team won't hide the fact that he is a HOF'er with a Ram pedigree. Jeff Fisher forgets that this team has a history in LA and older fans don't forget. Sad as it is the team needs an overhaul as the article states, ironically written by a former Ram of the Mike Martz era.

We can go on and on how this came about, but it is here and the FO will have to deal with it. I do hope enough spirit exists in the locker room that will keep our better players from bailing out. The bad aprt is we have to deal with it as fans and we've throught this too much.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
        We can go on and on how this came about, but it is here and the FO will have to deal with it. I do hope enough spirit exists in the locker room that will keep our better players from bailing out. The bad aprt is we have to deal with it as fans and we've throught this too much.
        Go Rams!
        The bad thing is that if you watch the interviews with players, everyone just seems bummed/resigned. Gurley shows no energy, and a few others are visibly frustrated but have the invisible Fisher noose around their necks making them unable to speak negatively about the current affairs of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
          The bad thing is that if you watch the interviews with players, everyone just seems bummed/resigned. Gurley shows no energy, and a few others are visibly frustrated but have the invisible Fisher noose around their necks making them unable to speak negatively about the current affairs of the team.
          I wonder if they can even speak negatively / air their frustrations behind the locker room doors. If they can't even do that, then their is truly no hope for the current organization.
          “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
            I'm not seeing that but I'm sure you're right. The best we can hope for is a swift changeover after the season so the attitude reverts to a positive one. We have some really good players who deserve to have their skills demonstrated on the field. If we can find the right coach to instill confidence then maybe next season won't be a dress rehearsal, but rather a playoff run. Let's hope.

Go Rams!

Comment

The whole Dickerson thing reminds me of when spags, was having them tear down pics in the hallways, firing the equipment guy...don't these guys have more important things to worry about..good coaches don't worry about that crap

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                Throwing ice water on ED, despite his difficult nature (holding out) when he was with the team won't hide the fact that he is a HOF'er with a Ram pedigree.

Go Rams!
                IMO, The Rams demise actually started with the ED situation. Prior to ED issue, this was a proud franchise well respected and with a history of winning. Since 1990, the Rams have had 23 losing season and 4 winning seasons. Even when we had the GSOT, the Rams screwed that up by breaking it up I was very excited to see new owner come in after the lady and put a winning tradition back in place. I was quite happy to get Fish. We had all of the draft picks. The future was right. But, this is the Rams. Managed to screw up that as well. The losing is as suggested by others pervasive through multiple regimes. It is in the very fabric of this organization. The only person that can truly effect change here is the owner. And his motivation seems to elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post

IMO, The Rams demise actually started with the ED situation. Prior to ED issue, this was a proud franchise well respected and with a history of winning. Since 1990, the Rams have had 23 losing season and 4 winning seasons. Even when we had the GSOT, the Rams screwed that up by breaking it up I was very excited to see new owner come in after the lady and put a winning tradition back in place. I was quite happy to get Fish. We had all of the draft picks. The future was right. But, this is the Rams. Managed to screw up that as well. The losing is as suggested by others pervasive through multiple regimes. It is in the very fabric of this organization. The only person that can truly effect change here is the owner. And his motivation seems to elsewhere.
                  macrammer, you are exactly right. The ED situation was the trigger for the unraveling. I became a fan in the mid-late '60's during the heyday of the Fearsome Foursome. From then through the '80's we were always in the conversation until the famous Jim Everett collapse v the ***** in a playoff game. Now we are an afterthought, which I hope will change once we make the necessary changes. We have some great players and are likely to have a pick of the litter for a coach and staff. Being in a major market doesn't hurt either as players will want to come here, assuming we hire a good coach. I almost wish the season was over so we don't have to endure more pathetic losses. But, here's to looking ahead.

Go Rams!

Comment