Let's talk about Todd Gurley...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
    My view on him has not changed since the beginning of the season. He continues to show a lack of play-making ability and elite talent. He looks nothing like his time at Georgia. I was ridiculed for saying anything remotely negative about Gurley early on, interesting to see how everyone is starting to realize Gurley is looking off.
    I've been saying the same thing all season as well.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I've been saying the same thing all season as well.
      I know, I believe we were the only ones that had this narrative (or at least the only ones that actually said it out loud).

Comment

I know, I believe we were the only ones that had this narrative (or at least the only ones that actually said it out loud).
        Along the way, I've also heard countless athletes like Chris Spielman making the same case.

Comment

We all see that Gurley is not the same player this season. I think some of that is on Gurley. Perhaps he's too light. I think "the light and space of [L.A.] really put the zap on his head." He's all low energy, squirrelly and downcast in his pressers. But I saw his ability. He's young and can still play at a high level. The bigger issue is the futility and impotence of Fisher's offense. Look at all of these players who are underachieving for the Rams on offense. (And, of course, they need players.) They've all got to be discouraged and frustrated. No doubt, many of them would improve with good coaches in a good offensive system. In my mind, Gurley remains an asset. It's a matter of creating an environment that gets the best out of these offensive players. Fisher goes: Gurley has a chance to realize his potential as a Ram. Fisher stays: I don't see any basis to expect or even hope for improvement in the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
            I still think he's elite.

I believe that if Ezekiel Elliot was on this year's Rams team, and Todd Gurley was on the Cowboys, Gurley would be the Offensive Player of the Year candidate and Elliot would be struggling.

We'll see what happens next year.
            I'll not argue with that. Todd probably wouldn't either ..

Comment

I think Gurley can be elite, but is not this year because he has not emotionally bought into this offense and is not being utilized properly. On the few plays he's caught passes out of the backfield, already having some physical momentum and some space to move, he's looked fantastic. Just my opinion. Conversely, nearly all of his handoff from quarterback plays have looked ugly. And where other backs have shown resolve to bust through that and be a bruiser when necessary, Gurley has shown the opposite and gone flat.

We recently had a thread titled 'Rams defense called soft". I say Gurley is the one that should be called out for being soft. Emotionally soft. Rockin and r8trh8trmike have been saying since the season started that he looks off. I think it's because Gurley has not tapped into that pit of his stomach and brought out any real determination this year. And I think he hasn't done that though because he's being utilized poorly and the OL and scheme is awful. Think of how some other past and present leadership type rb players in his position would be looking right now, both on the field and in presser's? Gore, Peterson, Bettis, Marshawn, Priest, shaun alexander, emmit smith... oh my gosh I shouldn't have started listing them cuz it's endless. Think John Riggins et al. Not a single one of these guys would be silent about the run game like Gurley has been about this Rams offense. These guys would be owning it in practice, in games, in podium interviews.... their entire beings would be screaming about how bad it is and they'd probably be exhibiting signs of neurosis. Gurley? Nah, man its cool... just gotta keep plugging away... find the holes...let the game come to me. What?! Dude is clearly not invested this year. That's a coaching failure imo.

I think Gurley is still a dynamic player and possibly elite. But he's not "bought" into this offense (can you blame him?) and it's showing in his unwillingness to be a grinder. And you can't be "elite" if you're not emotionally prepared to give your all. Just my take.

Comment

DeMarco Murray was brought up in this thread, and I think his history supports the notion that Gurley should not necessarily shoulder the blame for his poor numbers.

Murray had 1,800+ yards/4.7 ypc for the Cowboys in 2014.

He then went to the Eagles and, with a different OL and offensive system, struggled with 700 yards/3.6 ypc.

Now, with the Titans, he has over 1,000 yards and a 4.6 ypc.

Clearly, OL and offensive system can make a HUGE difference in a RB's numbers.

Comment

It's next to impossible for a good running back to perform at a high level behind a horrific o-line.
                  It's also not really a direct relationship between having a really good RB and a winning team. Steven Jackson is a perfect example.

Comment

DeMarco Murray was brought up in this thread, and I think his history supports the notion that Gurley should not necessarily shoulder the blame for his poor numbers.

He then went to the Eagles and, with a different OL and offensive system, struggled with 700 yards/3.6 ypc.

I agree with you, but the Rams didn't spend a #10 overall pick on a RB coming off a torn ACL to be DeMarco Murray. He was taken to be the next Adrian Peterson. And so far we've seen one season of the next HOF type back in the NFL, and one that makes him look like Trent Richardson.

Let's hope were getting #1.

Comment

Even AP needs blockers. Before he was hurt, he had 31 carries for 50 yards.

Comment

Even AP needs blockers. Before he was hurt, he had 31 carries for 50 yards.
                        I guess, but he's 31 years old now. I've seen a lot of plays from other RB's where they have 1 on 1 with a defender in the backfield and they still somehow gain multiple yards. I really hope Todd gets back to elite status, but this year has been rough. You can tell it's really affecting him even in his interviews, he sounds miserable.

Comment

But...

Gurley has basically the same OL personnel as last year except Garrett Reynolds.

Same OC.

Same offensive system.

Comment

But...

Gurley has basically the same OL personnel as last year except Garrett Reynolds.

Same OC.

Same offensive system.
                            This is also true, but Reynolds was far and away our best run blocker, and just because we have the same OL doesn't mean they haven't regressed. I think both are definitely to blame. Our OL is terrible, and would minimize the impact of whatever RB we had, but Gurley is not doing himself any favours either by losing his vision, his tackle breaking ability, and his ability to get to the 2nd level.

Just a complete mess right now.

Comment

Yeah as really Gurley is not the only problem. But the Rams situation people had so much promise and potential for the team. Will take time. But Jeff Fisher's window is smaller by the second!
                              Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post

This is also true, but Reynolds was far and away our best run blocker, and just because we have the same OL doesn't mean they haven't regressed. I think both are definitely to blame. Our OL is terrible, and would minimize the impact of whatever RB we had, but Gurley is not doing himself any favours either by losing his vision, his tackle breaking ability, and his ability to get to the 2nd level.

Just a complete mess right now.
                                I definitely think we miss Reynolds a lot more than we originally thought we would. But as you said earlier in the thread, Gurley isn't the best creator, which I agree with. I think he's a great runner when he has room to work with, but he's not one of those guys that makes something from nothing.

Comment