• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about Todd Gurley...

Let's talk about Todd Gurley,
    Is he where you thought, he'd be?
    Let's talk about all the good things,
    and the bad things that may be...

Sorry, time-warped to 1991 for a second there...

So, what do you think about Todd Gurley at this point in his career?
    He's an elite player at his position who has been hindered by a sub-par offense and poor OL.
    27.27%
    I still think he's a very good RB, but he's not quite elite.
    9.09%
    He's a big-play guy, not a grinder, and big plays only happen when there are holes.
    18.18%
    The offense/OL hasn't helped, but I don't think his effort level is where it needs to be.
    13.64%
    The offense/OL hasn't helped, but I think he made a mistake by dropping so much weight.
    9.09%
    I think he was overrated last year due to a few flashy plays, and this year is the real Gurley.
    4.55%
    2015 and 2016 paint such different pictures that I really can't evaluate him.
    18.18%

I still think he's elite.

I believe that if Ezekiel Elliot was on this year's Rams team, and Todd Gurley was on the Cowboys, Gurley would be the Offensive Player of the Year candidate and Elliot would be struggling.

We'll see what happens next year.

Comment

I am going to say I am on the fence with Gurley. IMO he has a lot to prove in order for me to categorize him as elite. I voted his effort level is not where it needs to be.

Comment

Here's all you need to know about Todd Gurley's struggles this year:

Todd Gurley has disappeared behind Fisher’s scheme and quarterback. In fact, the second-year running back is currently on pace to have the second-worst rushing season for a bell-cow back (defined as a minimum of 300 carries in a season) in the history of the NFL.

Through seven games Gurley is averaging 19 carries per game, 3.0 yards per carry and has amassed 403 yards. Those numbers translate to a hefty 306 carries over 16 games but just a paltry 921 yards. Since 1920, no running back has averaged fewer yards per carry than Gurley apart from Eddie George, who posted a 2.98 average in 2001.

George’s coach that season? You guessed it: Jeff Fisher.

In fact, George went on to have the eighth-worst season in history the following year (2002), followed by the sixth-worst season ever in 2003. Again, all under Fisher.
        This article was written back in late-October. Now, in my opinion the jury is still out on Gurley because he doesn't look at all the same as last year. Is it on him, the scheme, the offensive line, lack of talent around him? Time will tell. He has certainly been a huge disappointment this year but I want to believe very little falls on his shoulders.

Comment

It's hard to evaluate, but from what I've seen I'll give it a shot.

Clearly our OL has been terrible. Our offense in general has been terrible. It does not bode well for Todd, and has made things much harder than they've needed to be. But I've seen many RB's have bad plays from the lines, or even bad seasons from their lines, and they are still capable of putting up the numbers.

To me, Todd Gurley is a terrible creator. If he's 1on1 with a guy in the backfield, 9 times out of 10 he's going to get tackled. His vision has falled off drastically this year, his ability to break tackles, his effort, and his patience have all been bad, and it's worrisome. He excelled last year with vision, patience, and tackle breaking ability, especially when he could get to the 2nd level of the defense. There are practically no defenders in the NFL who are going to keep up with him and run him down, but the problem is he simply isn't like some other RB's.

Guys like Le'Veon Bell, David Johnson, Jay Ajayi, etc would have no problem playing with our OL. They wouldn't. They are creators and will be valuable regardless of how their OL performs. Guys like Gurley (and to be honest I can't think of many others like him) need their OL to give him a crease, and once he explodes through the hole he becomes a better RB than anyone in the league. Maybe that's his issue, instead of churning out 5-10 yard gains he's thinking too much about the home run ball (like last year).

In my mind if we improve our OL, there's no doubt he'll get back to being a great player.

Comment

Last season the Rams played a completely different scheme with 2 running backs a good portion of the time and the QB under center. They should be doing that now with the horrific line Fisher has put together. Also with Goff as the Rams QB Gurley doesn't fit the offense at all with Goff taking most of the snaps out of the shotgun. It makes Gurley expendable in my opinion. A Darren Sproles type RB fits with Goff's strengths better. Demarco Murray had a similarly bad fit with the Eagles last season and this year is flourishing for the Titans. In retrospect the Rams should have drafted Wentz who would have meshed better with Gurley.
            :helmet:

Comment

I believe Gurley is still elite, but this year is exactly why a lot of people like myself are not high on drafting a RB in the first round. During the Fisher era, we spent a 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7th rounders on running backs, and we still have team in the bottom 5 in rushing. That is really rough man.

Comment

I've said this since the beginning of the year, Gurley does not look like the same back we saw in 2015. IMO, he doesn't look as strong, intense, or decisive. Last year he was an explosive, tackle breaking, almost unstoppable force under similar circumstances as this year. I have no idea what the problem is, but something is not right from my perspective.

That said, I think he can get back to form, but with what he's done this year, I can't call him elite......yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
                  . It makes Gurley expendable in my opinion.
                  While I'm not going to say that Gurley should be traded, it is intriguing to think about what he would yield. I think you could still get a late first round pick for him, given his age, rookie performance and low price tag. Would I make that deal? Mmmm.... probably not, but I can see why some might consider it.

In retrospect the Rams should have drafted Wentz who would have meshed better with Gurley.
                  Disagree completely with this. I don't think the Rams built their offense around Goff, and I don't think they would have built a different system if they had drafted Wentz.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                    I've said this since the beginning of the year, Gurley does not look like the same back we saw in 2015. IMO, he doesn't look as strong, intense, or decisive. Last year he was an explosive, tackle breaking, almost unstoppable force under similar circumstances as this year. I have no idea what the problem is, but something is not right from my perspective.
                    I get what you're saying, but when a back is hit at or behind the line of scrimmage 80% of the time (as has seemed to have been the case this year), how can you really tell?

That said, if it comes out after the season that something was, in fact, "not right" with Gurley physically, I'll give you full credit for spotting it first.

Comment

Gurley's circumstances have been awful this year, but many RB's have had the same and are still able to put up the numbers. It's not even the numbers I care about, it's the way he looks. So many plays all he does is run into the back of his lineman. I never seen that last year at all. Honestly, I think at this point in the season he doesn't care anymore and just wants it to end and avoid injury, because there is NO way he's regressed to this point.

If we played Benny Cunningham in this exact same circumstance, he'd EASILY out-produce Gurley, not a doubt in my mind. I guess he's just given up on the season.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
                        Gurley's circumstances have been awful this year, but many RB's have had the same and are still able to put up the numbers. It's not even the numbers I care about, it's the way he looks. So many plays all he does is run into the back of his lineman. I never seen that last year at all. Honestly, I think at this point in the season he doesn't care anymore and just wants it to end and avoid injury, because there is NO way he's regressed to this point.

If we played Benny Cunningham in this exact same circumstance, he'd EASILY out-produce Gurley, not a doubt in my mind. I guess he's just given up on the season.
                        I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if Gurley is being coached to follow a block. There are so many times when he just runs into the pile and makes no attempts to bounce it outside. He's probably doing just what he's being coached to do.

Comment

Originally posted by fearsome foursome View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if Gurley is being coached to follow a block. There are so many times when he just runs into the pile and makes no attempts to bounce it outside. He's probably doing just what he's being coached to do.
                          I have no clue. None of us are in those meetings, so we can only speculate. But what I do know is Gurley was a top 10 pick coming off a torn ACL, was widely regarded as the best RB prospect to come out in 10 years, blew the league up last year and in 12 frickin starts he had 1100+ yards and 10 TD's on a terrible offense!

This guy's elite. We need to do everything in our power to set him and Goff up for success and not squander his career like we did to Steven Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
                            I get what you're saying, but when a back is hit at or behind the line of scrimmage 80% of the time (as has seemed to have been the case this year), how can you really tell?
                            Very fair point. Gurley has certainly not been given a lot of help this year, but IMO, he didn't get much help last year either.

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
                            That said, if it comes out after the season that something was, in fact, "not right" with Gurley physically, I'll give you full credit for spotting it first.
                            Again, I'm not sure what's up with Gurley. Could be physical, could be mental. His body language has been depressive all year.

Comment

My view on him has not changed since the beginning of the season. He continues to show a lack of play-making ability and elite talent. He looks nothing like his time at Georgia. I was ridiculed for saying anything remotely negative about Gurley early on, interesting to see how everyone is starting to realize Gurley is looking off.

We didn't need to draft a "best RB prospect since AP" to keep his head down and run in a straight line. We could have kept Zac Stacy to do that.

Comment