No announcement yet.

Rams QB Jared Goff set to start vs. 49ers after clearing concussion protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams QB Jared Goff set to start vs. ***** after clearing concussion protocol

Rams QB Jared Goff set to start vs. ***** after clearing concussion protocol

3:53 PM PT
    Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams rookie quarterback Jared Goff has cleared concussion protocol and is set to start against the San Francisco ***** on Saturday. Sean Mannion, a third-round pick in 2015, will replace Case Keenum as the backup so the Rams can get a closer look at him before the season ends, interim coach John Fassel confirmed.

Goff, the 2016 No. 1 overall pick, entered concussion protocol after absorbing a vicious hit from Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman late in last Thursday's 24-3 loss in Seattle. But Goff practiced in full over the past two days and said he felt fine all along.

He never wanted to come out of the game in the first place.

"It was just a regular hit," Goff said. "I got up, went back to the huddle, and I hear the official blowing the whistle, 'You've got to get off the field.' I'm like, 'Why?' They said it was just the protocol. I don't want to go back too much to last Thursday, but I just think it's kind of tough.

"If that's a playoff game, or if that's a bigger situation, the game's close, you take the starting quarterback off the field, it's, in my opinion -- and I know they're trying to take care of us, but in my opinion -- not really a very good reason. I don't know how fair it is."

Goff nonetheless won't miss any time, despite absorbing way too many hits in his five-game NFL career.

The 22-year-old has taken 14 sacks in the past four weeks alone. In Week 14, he was sandwiched on a very late touchdown run in an eventual 42-14 blowout loss against the Atlanta Falcons. In Week 15, Sherman got the best of him. With nine minutes left, Goff avoided pressure and ran 15 yards up the sidelines, getting two yards away from the pylon before Sherman knocked him out of bounds.

"If I had seen him, I probably would've gone out of bounds," Goff said. "Didn't see him, kind of came out of nowhere. He made a hell of a play after watching it. He came from all the way on the other side of the field."

Goff will finally get a chance to play against his hometown team, after being inactive when the Rams opened their season against the ***** in Santa Clara, California. Goff nonetheless called it "just another game to us," saying he is merely hopeful of getting his first win and continually improving.

Five games in, Goff sports a dreadful 24.6 Total QBR, completing 54.7 percent of his passes, averaging 5.5 yards per attempt and throwing four touchdowns to five interceptions.

A lot of the fault lies in receivers who have dropped too many passes and an offensive line that is allowing too much pressure, but Goff himself has also missed an assortment of throws he should make and is still adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

"I just want to continue to feel comfortable," Goff said when asked what he hoped to get out of these final two weeks. "I want to get my anticipation a little bit better. Be able to anticipate guys, where they're going to be, and get the ball out faster, not hold onto the ball so much, and take care of myself in the pocket, and make plays."

Am I the only one that thought Sherman went to the head and that it was a dirty hit?

Comment

Two things about Goff: He is tough and he knows what he needs to do to get better
      I like Goff more and more every time he talks. I just hope this organisation gives him some proper support soon
      @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by thermobee View Post
        Am I the only one that thought Sherman went to the head and that it was a dirty hit?
        Doesn't matter if he went for the head of not. Once the QB leaves the pocket and before they initiate a slide, they are a runner and can be hit like any runner, ie in the head if the defender wants to
        Once Goff crosses that LOS and starts to run, he needs to realise he is open to those shots and start protecting himself.
        @EssexRam_

Comment

"It was just a regular hit," Goff said.
          I don't know if this kid is the long-term answer or not, but that one statement moved him up a few notches in my book.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that Goff said he didn't see Sherman coming.? I've seen a couple of plays where Goff didn't notice the defender closing in on the side, which I expected him to see. Which makes me wonder about the comment made by Bill Belichick that Goff notices the pass rush too much.! I know Goff has struggled with his accuracy and timing this season, but I have been impressed with his toughness and his pocket presence is good for a rookie QB. So I'll have to disagree with Belichick and his observations about Goff on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
              I don't know if this kid is the long-term answer or not, but that one statement moved him up a few notches in my book.
              Yeah, how can you not love this? He's tough as nails, has an intensely competitive nature, and doesn't seemed fazed by anything thrown his way. After the hit, it was clear he wanted to get right back in the fray, and looked agitated when being forced out of the game. That's the kind of guy I want leading my team.

Comment

He just seems to have that "IT" factor. I too would like to see us support him the best way we can this offseason by surrounding him with as much talent as possible.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                  Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Cal coach Sonny Dykes learned everything he ever really needed to know about Jared Goff during Goff's freshman season as a teenage quarterback for a program that won only once in 12 tries.

"He never blinked," Dykes said in a phone interview this week, days before Goff makes his long-awaited debut for the Los Angeles Rams. "I think we played Ohio State in Game 3 that year, and we werenít very good, and we were playing with a ton of young players. Bunch of freshmen. Bunch of O-linemen that werenít ready to be playing, I can promise you that. He got hit a bunch, and I learned that he was incredibly tough physically, incredibly tough mentally. He never complained one time. He just got up, dusted himself off, went back to the sideline and went back to work. And thatís the best thing about Jared Goff."

This won't be easy for Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NFL draft.

His own coaches have cautioned as much. Jeff Fisher, who warned against judging Goff solely on the merits of his first game Sunday at home against the Miami Dolphins, said Goff is "going to have some moments, like all young quarterbacks do." Or offensive coordinator Rob Boras, who acknowledged that taking practice snaps is "different than actually playing." And quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke, who talked about how the Rams "have to accept that thereís going to be some bumps in the road."

Goff will be tested from Day 1 against a Dolphins team with a devastating front four and standing behind an offensive line that has not performed well this season.

One thing that should help him, Dykes believes, is his footwork in the pocket and his willingness to absorb hits, a trait teammates have already picked up on.

"When they sat down and looked at all the quarterbacks, I think thatís what made him stand out, made him unique and made him the first pick," Dykes said. "It was his toughness, ability to stand in there and throw the ball with somebody in his face. Also, his ability to shuffle around and create space is pretty unique. The NFL game is different than the college game. Everything has to happen much faster than it does in college, but Iím sure heís made that adjustment. I think heíll do a great job."

The Rams waited to start Goff largely because he came from an offense in which he did not take a snap from under center and did not call plays from the huddle. Besides getting acclimated to NFL speed, those have been his two biggest adjustments. The system Goff ran at Cal was the pass-happy Air Raid offense that lends itself to gaudy collegiate statistics but traditionally has not produced successful NFL quarterbacks.

Goff ran a lot of run-pass options that mostly required

-11-18-2016, 09:42 AM
                • Nick
                  Rams' Jared Goff impressive in first pro practice with Rams
                  by Nick
                  Rams' Jared Goff impressive in first pro practice with Rams
                  By Rich Hammond, Orange County Register
                  POSTED: 05/06/2016 08:58:59 PM PDT | UPDATED: ABOUT 8 HOURS AGO

OXNARD -- On day one, Jared Goff appeared to conjugate all his quarterback verbs correctly.

"The way they say it, and it's absolutely right, it's almost like learning a different language," Goff said Friday, shortly after the Rams' recent No. 1 overall draft pick completed his first (and quite informal) pro practice. "I felt like I picked it up as I went along, and it got better."

The Rams started their two-day rookie minicamp for 27 players who either were drafted, signed or invited on tryouts. Most of the work is off the field, with introductory and informational meetings, but players also got on the field Friday for about two hours to show their wares.

Major analysis would be pointless. There was no tackling; players ran at half speed and spent much of their time working with coaches on positional drills. Coach Jeff Fisher roamed around and took a good look.

Mostly, the afternoon seemed to have symbolic significance. Players wore Rams uniforms on a field in Southern California for the first time since 1994, and the practice marked the start of the Goff era.

Goff, the former Cal star, presumed to be the Rams' quarterback of the future -- if not the present -- looked the part. A basic, meat-market evaluation indicated that Goff comes as advertised, with great footwork, a quick release, a good, accurate arm and plenty of confidence. He didn't seem overwhelmed by the moment.

"It's just a lot of fun to be able to get back out here with the guys and enjoy football again," Goff said, "and get out of the whole pre-draft process and be able to actually play again."

Goff took snaps out of the shotgun formation, as he did almost exclusively at Cal, but he also spent significant time working with coaches on under-center snaps.

If there's any question about Goff, this is it, whether his skills can translate to a pro-style system. But Goff looked fine in under-center snaps -- which basically is to say he didn't fumble or trip over his feet -- and said his acclimation to the Rams' playbook, which he has had for only a week, has been smooth.

"There is a lot that translates," Goff said. "Most of the (shotgun) stuff translates, almost all of it. Then there's under-center stuff that I'm picking up as I go along."

Goff's experience this weekend is markedly different than other mini-campers because he's essentially the only one guaranteed to be on the roster at the start of the season. For Goff, this is about learning and growing. For the other two dozen players, it's about making an impression.

Fourth-round picks Tyler Higbee (tight end) and Pharoh Cooper (receiver) and sixth-round...
                  -05-07-2016, 05:53 PM
                • MauiRam
                  Jared Goff's father: 'He's going to be great. He's never not been'
                  by MauiRam
                  Los Angeles Rams Blog

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

7:52 AM PTIRVINE, Calif. -- Jared Goff has been here before. He's been young for the position, been counted on before he was ready, been under center for a team that hardly stood a chance. Goff was a teenager and a true freshman when he started every game for a Cal program that went 1-11 in 2013, losing 10 times by at least a couple of touchdowns.

"I donít think people understand how difficult that was for an 18-year-old kid," Goff's father, Jerry, said in a recent phone conversation. "Unless youíve been through it, you don't know how hard that is."

Jerry brings it up to prove a point -- that his son knows what it's like to get his ass kicked.

More importantly, that he knows how to get up, dust himself off and keep going.

Goff was the No. 1 pick for a Los Angeles Rams team that moved up 14 spots to select him, but he never challenged for the starting quarterback job during training camp and ultimately never won a game. He went 0-7 over the final seven weeks of a 2016 season that finished with a 4-12 record, absorbing 26 sacks while putting up some of the NFL's worst passing numbers.

A week later, Goff was back at the Rams' facility, poring through film even though he didn't even have a head coach.

He already had moved on to the biggest offseason of his life.

"He was chosen in a spot where there's a lot of expectations, and he embraces that," Jerry said. "He really, adamantly wants to let everybody know, through his production, that he is the guy and worthy of all the Rams did to get him. I think people are going to see that moving forward."

The Rams are counting on new head coach Sean McVay (right) to tap into the potential of Jared Goff. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports
                  The Rams have since done everything they can to tap into Goff's potential. They took a chance on a 31-year-old Sean McVay, now the youngest head coach in modern NFL history, in large part because his offense can be so quarterback friendly. They guaranteed $15 million to a 35-year-old left tackle, Andrew Whitworth, because he remains one of the game's best pass blockers. They signed Robert Woods, a 25-year-old receiver, to a five-year, $34 million contract. And they used three of their first four picks on pass-catchers, even though they drafted four the year before.

But it's what Goff himself has done that has people around him encouraged.

He basically spent the entire offseason at the Rams' facility, immersing himself in the new playbook, adding 10 pounds to his willowy frame and displaying a leadership and an ownership of this offense that he never did last season. He has been exceedingly eager.

"It's my team to lead and my team to direct and control and command," Goff said. "I don't take that lightly."
                  -08-01-2017, 11:36 PM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  Jason Cole Takes Another Swipe At Jared Goff
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  In his latest proclamation on Bleacher Report, Cole says former Rams coaches made the claim that "the wide receivers had little regard for rookie quarterback Jared Goff". He seems to try and rationalize the claim by saying Goff organized a workout on an off day that none of the receivers showed up for, proving they did not respect him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-qb-jared-goff

This follows Cole's pattern of putting out "buzz" that regularly demeaned and marginalized Goff.

I'm going to take this with a BIG grain of salt.
                  -02-08-2017, 03:33 PM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  Richard Sherman On Goff Hit: Disrespect In His Running Style
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  Sherman comment about his hit on Goff:

IMO, Sherman is full of it. I've watched the replay numerous times, and well before Sherman came into the picture, Goff was already looking at a defender ready to meet him at the goal line, and was slowing down. That's disrespect in his running style? Acting like he was getting a freebie? I just didn't see it.

That said, Goff learned a valuable lesson, to keep his head on a swivel and be ready for a hit at any time.And if a hit is imminent, get the hell out of bounds and live to fight another play....
                  -12-19-2016, 12:59 PM
                Working...
                X