The DeShaun Watson Scenario

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DeShaun Watson Scenario

Let me start with a necessary disclaimer...

I believe in Jared Goff. I believe he has the skill and ability to be a franchise NFL QB with some time, a better OL and some decent weapons. I am not deterred by the learning curve season he just finished. In my mind, he is the Rams' QB of the future.

That said... here's a "what if."

Right now, Clemson QB DeShaun Watson is on top of the world. He just capped off his college career (he announced last night that he's going to enter the draft) with a great come from behind win against Alabama. He is a college star. He also shows the leadership and drive you want to see in a potential NFL starting QB.

That said, he's not likely to be the first pick in the draft.

In fact, once the draftniks get a hold of his tape, they're probably going to hyper-focus on his flaws. He's not always the most accurate QB. He's made bad decisions. He's had mediocre performances against mediocre talent.

By the time April rolls around, will he even be a first round pick.

If your answer is "no chance he falls," you obviously have not followed draft season in the past. It definitely could happen.

Which brings me to my hypothetical.

What if he's still on the board when the Rams Round 2 selection arrives?

The Rams don't need to draft a QB.

They just spent a king's ransom to draft a QB.

But what if he's the "best player on the board"?

Do you take him just in case Goff gets hurt?

Do you take him just in case Goff fails?

Do you take him with the idea that you could always trade him later to a QB needy team?

Does the fact that we'll have a new HC, and possibly a new GM, impact this issue?

My gut tells me that the Rams could not afford to pass up the opportunity to take a starting OL, WR or TE to grab a guy who would be expected to sit on the bench.

But that thought does not come without a moment of contemplation.

After all, how many teams that "didn't need a QB" last year wish right now that they had taken Dak Prescott last year?

I'll preface this by saying I don't think he'll be there by our first pick because the Browns have multiple picks in front of us. That being said, it's the offseason, I'll bite....

The Rams already have a young, cheap backup for this season. Spending that pick on another QB just in case Goff gets hurt makes no sense. If we draft him in the second round, it's because the new coaching staff doesn't believe in Goff, even if Watson is the best player available. We're not the Patriots, we don't have the luxury to draft BPA, we have too many holes to fill.

Also, I don't think our new HC will want the job unless he feels Goff is the answer at QB. So no, I don't think we'll be drafting him, which is a shame, because I'm not sold on Goff yet.

Comment

Originally posted by chucknbob View Post
      I
      Also, I don't think our new HC will want the job unless he feels Goff is the answer at QB. So no, I don't think we'll be drafting him, which is a shame, because I'm not sold on Goff yet.
      You just eliminated yourself from contention for the HC job!

Comment

Generally, I'm open to the BPA drafting system, but I don't feel it should always be a "pick the bpa or die" approach. It should depend upon how much higher the bpa is to the next level of players available, and balanced by team need.

So if your hypothetical puts Watson as the bpa, and he's light years above the next tier of players, then possibly the gm makes that pick even though it's likely for a player that will ride the bench and scout team. I'd be okay with that. But if the second and third best player (or more) happen to be very close in scouting talent, yet also fill a team need, then some discernment has got to come into play and I would say that's no longer a shrewd move. If a starting caliber player is there that fills a team's need, without there being a big drop off in talent from the bpa, then I believe the gm should go with that pick.

Comment

I actually think it's a great idea to typically try to get a backup QB, maybe even in every draft. Because if you hit, (for example Pats with Garoppolo) he'll be worth at MINIMUM a 1st round pick, and Ian Rapoport and others have reported the minimum to get talks rolling would be a 1st and 4th round pick.

At worst you have a very good player that you can eventually start, or you can move for the Earth and the Moon. Imagine if Romo was a few years younger and healthy, what the Cowboys would get for a guy like Prescott? I'd think minimum a 1st and 2nd rounder, and likely much more.

Now, considering how bad our team is, and how many holes we have (specifically missing our 1st round pick) I don't think we can afford to do it. If we had our first round pick, we could have potentially pulled it off, but as we don't have our first rounder, I think our 2nd becomes too valuable to spend on a QB.

Also, I think there's no chance Watson drops to the 2nd round, but if were talking about QB's, I would not at all be against grabbing a 4th or 5th round talent.

Comment

Never understood the 'best player available" argument, which I feel is nonsense. For instance, why take a 3rd tight end just because the guy is projected to be good when you have 3 spots to fill on the O-line?? My philosophy is that you should draft to fill needs- period. Then and only then should you consider bolstering other areas.

I'd be opposed to taking him with the thought of maybe trading him to a QB needy team down the road. If a team really wants Watson during the draft, and he's available as we are getting ready to select, then I'd be all for obtaining a couple of picks for the privilege.

Comment

If you fill needs regardless of the talent, you end up with Robert Thomas at MLB. Trung Canidate as the backup RB (Martz felt at the time the only thing holding the Rams back potentially was if Faulk became injured). You don't trade up for Tavon Austin. You hopefully don't draft Tye Hill.

The way teams draft marginal QB prospects (Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert?) high in the first round is a perfect example.

People trade valuable draft picks to move up and get better talent. Willingly picking lower talent to fill needs is just giving away assets.
              Last edited by Dreadlock; -01-10-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadlock View Post
                If you fill needs regardless of the talent, you end up with Robert Thomas at MLB. Trung Canidate as the backup RB (Martz felt at the time the only thing holding the Rams back potentially was if Faulk became injured). You don't trade up for Tavon Austin. You hopefully don't draft Tye Hill.

The way teams draft marginal QB prospects (Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert?) high in the first round is a perfect example.

People trade valuable draft picks to move up and get better talent. Willingly picking lower talent to fill needs is just giving away assets.
                Nobody is saying you should fill a need if the available guys at that spot are not NFL caliber players. But if you have the courage of your convictions and can adequately evaluate players, you don't worry about drafting a "lesser" player at a position of need. You pick the guy that you think can be a solid player at that position and can do the job.

Here's a novel idea: groom the QBs you've previously drafted to be solid NFL back-ups at worst and stop getting it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
                  I actually think it's a great idea to typically try to get a backup QB, maybe even in every draft. Because if you hit, (for example Pats with Garoppolo) he'll be worth at MINIMUM a 1st round pick, and Ian Rapoport and others have reported the minimum to get talks rolling would be a 1st and 4th round pick.

At worst you have a very good player that you can eventually start, or you can move for the Earth and the Moon. Imagine if Romo was a few years younger and healthy, what the Cowboys would get for a guy like Prescott? I'd think minimum a 1st and 2nd rounder, and likely much more.

Now, considering how bad our team is, and how many holes we have (specifically missing our 1st round pick) I don't think we can afford to do it. If we had our first round pick, we could have potentially pulled it off, but as we don't have our first rounder, I think our 2nd becomes too valuable to spend on a QB.

Also, I think there's no chance Watson drops to the 2nd round, but if were talking about QB's, I would not at all be against grabbing a 4th or 5th round talent.
                  Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Comment

I will preface this with the fact that both of my sons are currently attending Clemson. That said, YES! PLEASE TAKE DW4!

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Nobody is saying you should fill a need if the available guys at that spot are not NFL caliber players. But if you have the courage of your convictions and can adequately evaluate players, you don't worry about drafting a "lesser" player at a position of need. You pick the guy that you think can be a solid player at that position and can do the job.
                      If you are filling for need instead of the best player available, you are by default taking a lesser / more risky player. Otherwise you'd have ranked them the best player available.

Teams fill needs in the later rounds because the talent difference is marginal. The difference between the 78th player and the 85th player is minimal and the player is more likely to contribute from a position of need.

Comment

Originally posted by bltkmt View Post
                        I will preface this with the fact that both of my sons are currently attending Clemson. That said, YES! PLEASE TAKE DW4!
                        That is a ridiculous way to assess prospects!

Did I mention how I'm hoping the Rams take Amara Darboh from Michigan (where my son goes) and Isaiah Ford from VaTech (where my daughter goes)?

Comment

They took Chase Reynolds and Trumaine Johnson from Montana Go Griz.

Its a good question to ponder. I'd say no because we need so much more at that value... and as most of you know I am no goff fan.
                          All bets are Goff

Comment