X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean McVay will call plays, fit scheme to*players

Sean McVay will call plays, fit scheme to players

Posted by Josh Alper on January 13, 2017, 4:10 PM EST

The Rams were obviously impressed with Sean McVay’s offensive acumen or they wouldn’t have made him the youngest head coach in the NFL.

He’ll get a chance to show off that acumen as the team’s offensive play caller. McVay confirmed that he’d be the one responsible for calling the plays at a Friday press conference and said that the plays he’ll be calling will be based on a scheme built around the strengths of players like quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley and wide receiver Tavon Austin.

“What I think dictates and determines what a great coach is when you talk about forming an offensive identity, it’s about first let’s figure out what our players do best,” McVay said. “What does Jared do best? How can we maximize Todd and Tavon and our linemen up front?”

McVay has not hired an offensive coordinator yet and one candidate, Dolphins offensive line coach Chris Foerster, has been blocked from interviewing for the position. Whoever does get the job will certainly have a hand in putting together the plan for the offense on a weekly basis, but they won’t be the one telling Goff what to run.

Call me crazy, but isn't this what a good coach is SUPPOSED to do??

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
      Youre not crazy, there is a accepted belief that coaches who get to the top level based on their ability should stick with that ability. So if he is that good with playing calling, why give it up? After watching several seasons of the Rams not having an offensive coach or head coach with any sort of play calling ability, this is a refreshing change!
      "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Originally posted by MoonJoe View Post

Youre not crazy, there is a accepted belief that coaches who get to the top level based on their ability should stick with that ability. So if he is that good with playing calling, why give it up? After watching several seasons of the Rams not having an offensive coach or head coach with any sort of play calling ability, this is a refreshing change!
        I am all for the change here. A HC with his head in the game. Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post

I am all for the change here. A HC with his head in the game. Priceless.
          Think he'll remember where he put the challenge flag?

Comment

I have no problems with McVay calling plays, and after years of dysfunction and no true vision, look forward to an offense with a purpose, a structure, and one that quite frankly, makes sense.

Comment

What a breath of fresh air for us, eh?

this will make the draft interesting.
              “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

No, building a scheme around player's strengths would make too much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                  I have no problems with McVay calling plays, and after years of dysfunction and no true vision, look forward to an offense with a purpose, a structure, and one that quite frankly, makes sense.
                  I'm not sure about that.

This scenario didn't work well for Dallas when JG wanted to call plays.

How do you be the HC, hire an OC, then not let your OC call plays? Whats the job of the OC then? I would presume that the person designing the offense should have a much more intrinsic view of that offense. If you let person A design the offense, but have person B call the plays I would think you end up with a watered down result.

Our last regime of fisher and Boras....that offense didn't seem like it was managed by an offensive minded person. That offense showcased 1970 mentality, which IMO means fisher had too much to say in it.

CEO of todays cooperations that are successful trust their people and allocate duties accordingly. For a 1st time HC, being a HC AND OC may be taking on too much.

Comment

My first comment isn't specific to whether or not McVay will call plays- a team can be successful either with the head coach calling them or an O-Coordinator calling them. My sarcasm was specifically aimed at the statement about "finding out what our players do best" and then tailoring the offense around that. This is Coaching 101- something Fisher, for all his experience, was never able to do successfully. And that's why he's out of a job.
                    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-15-2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Question, who was our OC when Mike Martz was the head coach? Yeah that's what I thought you'd have to go look it up. McVay was not hired for his head coaching experience he was hired because he's one of the best offensive minds in the game today. Which happens to be our biggest need. McVay will run the offense, Phillips will run the defense and Bones will continue with the special teams. We will hit the ground running.

I though it was smart to try and snatch one of the better offensive line coaches in the league in Chris Foerster by giving him the title of OC, because that's all it would have been, at least in the first few years. I hope the Rams use the leverage of the OC title to land another big need O line coach which has been a big failure for us for years.

I'd be beyond disappoint if McVay delegated play calling in reading comments from Cousins he has a real good feel for calling plays on game day.

“I could be here a long time talking about Sean’s help in my development and his ability to call plays for our offense and lead our offense,” says Cousins. “In the 2015 offseason I was coming off a year when I had been benched halfway through and was going into the next year with the chance to really only compete as a backup. I was a little disappointed with that and Sean was a great encourager through that process, challenging me to stay the course. I think his belief in me and his support and his encouragement was what enabled me to eventually have the opportunities that I had.”

From a pure strategic standpoint, Cousins explains that “part of the reason our offense has a lot of depth is because a lot of different guys get to touch the ball. That goes back to play-calling and the way Sean aligns players. You have to be creative with [weapons like] Jordan Reed, DeSean Jackson. That takes a lot of preparation and creativity and Sean does it on a week-in, week-out basis.”

Comment

Originally posted by Akita Ram View Post
                        This scenario didn't work well for Dallas when JG wanted to call plays.

How do you be the HC, hire an OC, then not let your OC call plays? Whats the job of the OC then? I would presume that the person designing the offense should have a much more intrinsic view of that offense. If you let person A design the offense, but have person B call the plays I would think you end up with a watered down result..
                        I would say it didn't work well in Dallas because Garrett was not effective calling plays. It does work with Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Bruce Arians, and has obviously worked with numerous other HC's, including Gary Kubiak, who won a Super Bowl doing it last year. If memory serves me correctly, all these guys started their HC careers calling their own plays.

Maybe McVay will be able to make it work, maybe he won't, but he seems like a coach who can be a very capable multi-tasker to me. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I would say it didn't work well in Dallas because Garrett was not effective calling plays. It does work with Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Bruce Arians, and has obviously worked with numerous other HC's, including Gary Kubiak, who won a Super Bowl doing it last year. If memory serves me correctly, all these guys started their HC careers calling their own plays.

Maybe McVay will be able to make it work, maybe he won't, but he seems like a coach who can be a very capable multi-tasker to me. We'll see.
                          I'm a bit scared of him biting off more than he can chew, but he seems like a very smart guy. He's surrounding himself with guys who have A LOT of experience and can help delegate. Sure, as the HC he needs to lead the WHOLE team, but we all know why McVay was brought in, and personally I don't think it would be smart to have him not call the plays because that would really minimize the impact he'd have on game day.

Fisher was a great leader, and a great guy it seemed, but the play calling was abysmal. I'm hoping these professionals don't need to be coddled and have their notes yanked, smashed together, and whipped in their face (Mike Waufle to Ethan Westbrooks) to get motivated. That's why they'll have positional coaches.

McVay needs to have his hands all over this offensive scheme, and I believe the best way to improve quickly and effectively would be to have McVay call the plays himself.

Comment

it wasn't only fisher that was the problem, his coaching staff was abysmal...its nice to see a veteran like Phillips willing to work with this guy

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                              24 hours ... With Sean McVay
                              by MauiRam
                              He may be the youngest coach in NFL history, but the Rams’ new head man is in unquestioned command of his team. Word for the wise—no daydreaming in meetings!

June 8th by Andy Benoit (MMQB)

24 Hours … with Sean McVay
                              We spent a day with first-year Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay as the youngest coach in the NFL attempts to make his mark on his team at a recent minicamp.

This is the fourth installment of The MMQB’s “24 Hours” series, inside-inside, multimedia stories for the 2017 NFL season, chronicling a day in the life of an important figure in pro football. After seven years in Washington, the last three as Jay Gruden’s offensive coordinator, a soon-to-be 31-year-old Sean McVay took over the Los Angeles Rams in January, becoming the youngest head coach in NFL history (modern era). It’s been a whirlwind first off-season, though if you observe McVay running the team, you’d think he’s been at it for a decade. In May, during the Rams’ third OTA session (which meant full days with the players and live practices), McVay welcomed us behind the curtain.
                              Los Angeles, Calif.
                              May 24, 2017
                              9:43 p.m. PT
                              Sean McVay answers the door to his contemporary-style house in Encino Hills, a neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley northwest of downtown L.A. He moved in a few weeks earlier. His mother, an interior designer in Atlanta, has been furnishing the place. She’s off to a strong—and, to McVay’s occasional astonishment, expensive—start. But her work is far from done. About half of the home’s 4,660 square feet remain bare. McVay lives here with his girlfriend, Veronica, who moved with him from Virginia.
                              After McVay, the former offensive coordinator in Washington, got the Rams job on Jan. 12, he planned on returning to his Reston, Va., townhouse to gather his things. But there was too much to do in California. So Veronica and a few friends took care of clearing the townhouse, and it sold in a day. McVay never made it back.
                              He’s wearing his usual: shorts, t-shirt and running shoes. “Come in, make yourself at home,” he says.
                              10:01 p.m.
                              McVay toured six houses when he got to L.A. The fourth felt like the winner. But then he saw this one. It overlooks Burbank and has an enormous open patio. The bells and whistles abound: a gas fire table near the edge of the balcony; a miniature balcony overlooking the pool; floodlights—remarkably powerful floodlights; surround sound inside and outside; an Alexa system that controls the lights on command. (“Alexa, turn all off.”) And a glass wall that slides open at the push of a button, converting the living room into essentially a fancy covered patio.
                              “Pretty cool, huh?” McVay says as he reveals each nook and cranny. He’s too earnestly impressed to be bragging. He grabs a beer and takes a seat near the gas fire table, only to discover that the cushions of his new patio furniture are damp. Oh well. He’s calling...
                              -06-11-2017, 04:06 PM
                            • Nick
                              Rams reach out to Redskins OC Sean McVay for head coaching vacancy
                              by Nick
                              Rotoworld's take......
                              -01-02-2017, 06:19 AM
                            • Nick
                              PFT: Rams doing their homework on Sean McVay
                              by Nick
                              Rams doing their homework on Sean McVay
                              Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2017, 8:06 PM EST

The Rams are currently ruling out no head-coaching candidates. Eventually, they could be hiring the youngest guy on the list.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Rams are spending a lot of time doing their homework on Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay. The 30-year-old has generated plenty of buzz, and his work with Kirk Cousins apparently has prompted folks in L.A. to believe that McVay could get the most out of 2016 No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff.

The interest in McVay meshes with recent comments from Rams COO Kevin Demoff, who said that the search is focusing on current NFL assistant coaches. The other candidates are Rams special-teams coordinator/interim head coach John Fassel, Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph, Bills offensive coordinator/interim head coach Anthony Lynn, Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, Panthers assistant head coach Steve Wilks, Jaguars offensive line coach/interim head coach Doug Marrone.

At this point, it’s unlikely that the Rams will make a run at former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden or Saints coach Sean Payton. Both had been linked to the Rams earlier in the process.
                              -01-08-2017, 04:33 AM
                            • r8rh8rmike
                              Demoff on McVay: I close my eyes and hear Jon Gruden
                              by r8rh8rmike
                              Demoff on McVay: I close my eyes and hear Jon Gruden

By Kevin Patra Around the NFL writer
                              Published: Jan. 13, 2017 at 04:49 p.m.

The Los Angeles Rams believe they've hired the next Jon Gruden.

While introducing Sean McVay on Friday, Rams COO Kevin Demoff gushed about his new coach's excitement, intelligence and maturity.

"... There are times when I close my eyes you hear Jon Gruden -- whether it's the cadence, whether it's the hand movement..." Demoff said.

McVay began his NFL career under Gruden in Tampa Bay in 2008 before moving to Washington in 2010. He then worked under Jay Gruden as offensive coordinator the past three years. The new Rams coach noted his roots with the Gruden family run deep -- to Jim Gruden Sr. recruiting his father.

The 30-year-old McVay became the youngest coach in NFL history on Thursday in a league that is rough on green coaches. Lane Kiffin (31 years old) Raheem Morris (32), David Shula (32), and Josh McDaniels (32) were all young first-time head coaches. None came close to earning a .500 record.

The Rams don't fear handing over the reins to a youthful McVay.

"You saw (his) maturity," Demoff said of the interview process. "There is a difference between youth and maturity, Sean is very mature. All of these coaches are going to go through experiences for the first time as head coaches that will challenge them. It's their mental makeup and their fortitude that will determine their success."

Demoff pointed to several factors that showed McVay was ready to make a leap even at a young age: His ability to call plays for a potent offense in Washington; the ability to relate to the youthful players on his roster (the Rams own the youngest team in the NFL); and the respect he earned from previous players he coached -- Demoff noted many of them called to congratulate McVay on getting the new job.

"We knew Sean could be special. But I would say the final check point for me was when Sean came back on Tuesday night and he had dinner with myself and Marshall Faulk," Demoff said. "It was listening to him and Marshall banter back and forth about football and what they had to say, look at each other, watching them walk away and Marshall saying, 'That person can absolutely be your next head coach.' That it was not just about the age of the players he was with, it was about earning the respect of people who are very smart people in the NFL. Marshall is one of the brightest players we have ever come across, certainly in our team's history and in the NFL when you look at what he was able to accomplish. And for us that was the final check mark. Age is not a factor here. This is really about Sean's talents and his ability to lead and communicate and what we think that would do for the Los Angeles Rams."

McVay brushed aside multiple questions about his age, saying...
                              -01-13-2017, 07:32 PM
                            • Nick
                              McVay: “This Loss is On Me"
                              by Nick
                              McVay: “This Loss is On Me"
                              Myles Simmons
                              RAMS INSIDER

CHICAGO — This was not the Rams night.

This was a night where Los Angeles had only 214 yards of offense. Only 14 first downs. Only six points.

A night where quarterback Jared Goff threw four interceptions, setting an ignominious single-game career high. Prior to this night, he’d only ever thrown at most two picks in a game as a pro.

And this was also a night where head coach Sean McVay took responsibility for all of it.

“I’ve got to be better for our football team, but this loss is on me,” McVay said postgame. “I didn’t do nearly a good enough job for us today and I trust that we’ll respond the right way.”

This is something McVay has done for each of the Rams’ regular-season losses since he took over as head coach last year. But this was as self-critical as McVay has ever been — likely because this was as ineffective as the offense has been in his tenure.

“I’ll tell you this, when I’m looking at it in terms of some of the intent, what we were trying to do with a lot of things, I know this — I did not put our guys in good spots and that’s something that I have to better within the framework of my role and what I can control,” McVay said.

Indeed, this is the only time since the start of the 2017 season that Los Angeles has failed to score an offensive touchdown in a game. In fact, according to ESPN Stats and Info, this is only the second time in McVay’s 79 games as an offensive coordinator or head coach that his offense didn’t put the ball in the end zone.

And that’s part of what makes the numbers look so odd for this particular contest.

“I’d like to say no,” McVay replied when asked if he’d imagined there would be a game where his offense didn’t score a touchdown, “but certainly this is a humbling league and either you learn from it — you’d love to play consistently well week in and week out, but tonight was a humbling experience certainly for me as a coach and for our football team, but I do trust that we will respond the right way.”

But even with McVay’s self-criticism, players didn’t simply let themselves off the hook — particularly Goff.

“We definitely appreciate when he does that, but we need to be better and that’s the bottom line,” said Goff, who finished 20-of-44 passing for just 180 yards. “We are the ones on the field, we’re executing, need to make the plays, just need to do a lot of things better and we will.”

McVay often notes that he’s so self-critical because it’s what he and the rest of the coaching staff asks the players to do. And based on cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman’s postgame comments, that approach seems to be working.

“You just got to go home, look yourself in the mirror … and ask yourself, ‘Did I do everything that I [was] supposed to? Did I give all the effort that I was...
                              -12-10-2018, 04:13 AM
                            Working...
                            X