The Past Decade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Past Decade

The current sentiment on this board is one of elation. Almost blind elation. It seems as if the majority are content with following our new head coach Sean McVay to the ends of the world. Naive joy and optimism. "McVay can do no wrong...he's our savior! Don't ever say anything negative about him, it'll shatter my bubble!"

While I don't support overly negative thinking or exaggerated skepticism...we've been here before. 2006. 2008. 2009. 2012. And now 2017.

Blind elation for Linehan. He can do no wrong!

Relief because Linehan was fired and Jim Haslett, the players coach, was deemed interim HC!

Joy because Spagnuolo, Giants' defensive mastermind, was taking over and the ship will finally right itself!

And most recently...ecstatic because Jeff Fisher, veteran guru of the NFL, was joining the Rams as our leader and savior.

We have been in this situation before. Over and over. Have we not learned anything from the past decade? Head coaches are not prone to mistakes. Some are better than others. Some suck. Some make terrible personnel moves. Some are just terrible people.

But for some reason, we hold these guys in such high regard. They're superhuman. McVay, the youngest HC in the history of the NFL? No problem! He knows what is best! I mean, he has to right? We hired him for a reason!!

I believe it is warranted and necessary to be cautiously critical of the decisions this football team makes this off-season. History has proven that we should be. Don't tell me I should blindly support each and every personnel move McVay makes. Should we have with Fisher? Linehan? Spagnuolo? Martz? Just because someone has had more experience in the NFL than us fans does not mean he is not prone to mistakes. As fans, especially as fans of a perennial losing team, we should be critical. Hell, we ought to be questioning moves and decisions more.

Does this mean I disapprove of McVay? No. I was pleased with his signing. I think he's got some great traits and potential to him. I think he was the best guy for the job. But does that mean I think he is perfect? No. Do I think his lack of experience can play a (negative) factor in some of his decision-making? Yes. Am I going to continue publicly disagree with some of the moves he makes that I don't agree with? Yes.

The past decade should give us the correct perspective. I get that it's an exciting and new off-season, but we have not won the lottery. We did not get free Genie wishes. There's going to be mediocre, and possibly even really bad decisions that will be made in the future. The past decade should have taught us not to blindly follow.

Well, thanks for telling us how we all think.

I, for one, have had different reactions to the various coaches we hired.

Never liked Linehan.
    Hated Haslett.
    Thought Spagnuolo would be great.
    Was happy when we hired Fisher.

I am also fully aware that McVay may fail.

That's not the point.

Several weeks ago, we were hearing stories about Fisher being extended. That was depressing. More of the same, no hope for change.

Now, we have someone new. We have hope.

Hope does not equate to blind elation.
    Hope does not make one naïve.
    Hope does not mean we perceive McVay as a savior.

If you don't get that, and would prefer to react to every statement of optimism with cynicism, that's your choice.

Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but hey... to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
      Well, thanks for telling us how we all think.

I, for one, have had different reactions to the various coaches we hired.

Never liked Linehan.
      Hated Haslett.
      Thought Spagnuolo would be great.
      Was happy when we hired Fisher.
      That's great that you didn't like some of them. However, that doesn't disprove my statements that the general consensus on this board whenever each of those guys were hired were of pure joy and that any questioning or criticism of the new head honcho resulted in "you're negative and not a real fan". That's just the reality.

Several weeks ago, we were hearing stories about Fisher being extended. That was depressing. More of the same, no hope for change.

Now, we have someone new. We have hope.

Hope does not equate to blind elation.
      Hope does not make one naïve.
      Hope does not mean we perceive McVay as a savior.

If you don't get that, and would prefer to react to every statement of optimism with cynicism, that's your choice.
      You say that, but every time a move has been questioned it's been met with, "he knows more than you! Sit down!"

Hope is great. But I've historically liked to lean more objectively. Sometimes that can be perceived as negative.

Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but hey... to each their own.
      If I recall, you have had your fair share of posts over the years that echo a similar sentiment. Nothing wrong with that.

But you know what's even less fun? 7 different HCs (including interim) since 2005.

Like I said, I am cautiously optimistic, but I will wait and see.

Comment

I must have missed your optimistic posts.

Let's put our cards on the table... I think you believe that the only way to be a realist is to continually express cynicism and predict doom and gloom.

Again... that doesn't seem like much fun to me.
        Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-18-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
          The current sentiment on this board is one of elation. Almost blind elation. It seems as if the majority are content with following our new head coach Sean McVay to the ends of the world. Naive joy and optimism. "McVay can do no wrong...he's our savior! Don't ever say anything negative about him, it'll shatter my bubble!"
          Blind elation? You mean like this:

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
          Maybe McVay will be able to make it work, maybe he won't, but he seems like a coach who can be a very capable multi-tasker to me. We'll see.
          IMO, coaching can be a huge difference maker. If McVay as an HC in LA can do what he did in Washington as an OC, we'll see substantially more wins.
          I think you make a good point about his choices being guys he's comfortable with, Time will tell if it works out.
          I'm not sure what possessed you to start this thread, but I have not seen anybody say McVay is perfect, or that he'll positively be successful in LA. Have you? If so, I'd like to see it.

And describing optimism and enthusiasm for McVay as "naive", or saying people are ready to follow him to the ends of the world, is baseless hyperbole, and not accurate IMO.

Comment

You lost me for the entire post when you started the thing with a huge mischaracterization of the optimism being expressed over the new hire. I'm not sure I've seen a single poster who has said anything remotely similar to the exaggerated point of view you're claiming to see here. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Comment

I hear ya about the skepticism, but all you can possibly be is hopeful and enthusiastic this guy pans out,,,but of course, I think most of us rams fans are prepared for the worst, based on past experience

Comment

I'm not sure what possessed you to start this thread, but I have not seen anybody say McVay is perfect, or that he'll positively be successful in LA. Have you? If so, I'd like to see it.

And describing optimism and enthusiasm for McVay as "naive", or saying people are ready to follow him to the ends of the world, is baseless hyperbole, and not accurate IMO.
                Let's not pretend like the majority of posts questioning either McVay or a move by McVay is not met with, "McVay knows more than you do!"

Again, the point is that we have been in this exact situation multiple times over the past decade. Every time this situation arises, the same defenses fly up every time the new HC gets questioned.

No one should be immune to criticism, not even the 30 year old we hired last week. I did the same with Gurley early this season, and many cried out. Turns out there was some truth to my claims.

Comment

Originally posted by RamFanEsq View Post
                  I must have missed your optimistic posts.

Let's put our cards on the table... I think you believe that the only way to be a realist is to continually express cynicism and predict doom and gloom.

Again... that doesn't seem like much fun to me.
                  That's funny because I don't believe I started becoming "cynical" until this season/last season.

Comment

Let's not pretend like the majority of posts questioning either McVay or a move by McVay is not met with, "McVay knows more than you do!"

Again, the point is that we have been in this exact situation multiple times over the past decade. Every time this situation arises, the same defenses fly up every time the new HC gets questioned.

No one should be immune to criticism, not even the 30 year old we hired last week. I did the same with Gurley early this season, and many cried out. Turns out there was some truth to my claims.
                    More hyperbole. Who's said McVay is immune to criticism? Making things up doesn't help make your points.

You seem to be taking any post that disagrees with you in a personal way. Don't. If you have a problem with someone challenging your opinion, don't lash out in anger, articulate your position.

Comment

I like the McVay hire. I said I hoped that it would happen, way before he got the job.

To down members for liking and being enthusiastic about this hire, it in my opinion, very cynical. At least give the new guy a chance to screw things up before going for the kill
                      Maybe he will, maybe he won't.
                      As a FAN of the Rams am I supposed to sit here and blow off everything the Rams do, or do I, as a FAN, get behind the Rams in what they are trying to achieve? To ME, being a FAN would indicate being behind the Rams and at the very least be optimistic about the future. I can criticise and point out issues with the Rams, sure I can. Week one in the chat room, I said that Gurley was not the same guy. WEEK ONE. I have been on the O-Line as have some very informed members from day one. I never liked the Geoff signing, I preferred other QB's. I was down on the "superstar" D, saying it had some glaring holes and took my lumps for that LOL.

Maybe you should take some time to evaluate your Fan status. Hell, we have ALL had times where we have done that. Take some time to chill and maybe the fan blood will kick back in again ;)
                      For me, as soon as football season is over, I switch all my Ram wallpapers to my H-D wallpapers and look forward to the riding season and come back to looking forward to the coming football season. As a RAM fan, we need it more than most.

The day that I sit here and blow off everything the Rams try, to make the organisation better, is more than likely the day I would shut this site down, book into a laser treatment clinic and start watching cricket!

Just saying
                      Last edited by RamDez; -01-19-2017, 03:08 AM.

__________________________________________________________
                      Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

This is a fan-board no? If no one here were enthusiastic about shifting the Fisher baggage and hiring McVay, this board would not exist. Silly stuff. I was never blindly elated by our hires, and have seen some as pretty questionable. Is McVay the answer? Who knows, but Fisher was NOT the answer. I am elated for a very specific reason; Fisher is gone gone gone. Guy was a perennial loser!

EDIT; Also, why go back just a decade. We suffered through the 1990's as well with a team that sucked. The Rams are not a team for the fair-weather fan, so please forgive us for trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel. If McVay can instill discipline from the top down, half of our troubles go away. I am not looking for a SB win in 2017, just a team that stops killing itself!
                        Last edited by OmahaJason; -01-19-2017, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Surely, nobody believes they do know more than McVay, do they?
                          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                            Surely, nobody believes they do know more than McVay, do they?
                            Rockin does.

And don't call him Shirley.

Comment

That's funny because I don't believe I started becoming "cynical" until this season/last season.
                              I'm sure that's what you believe.

Comment